|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brian pull the canoe to the shore when he moves closer to the dog?
2. What type of gloves did Brian bring?
3. During Brian's first wilderness experience, what animal had kept a bear away from Brian?
4. What type of moon does Brian see in Chapter 4?
5. What does Brian use for a pillow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brian intend to keep up with his studies in the wilderness?
2. Why does Brian think that a noise he hears in Chapter 1 is a squirrel or a mouse?
3. Why do the Cree Indians usually have dark-haired malamute cross dogs?
4. How do the Inuit hunt seal?
5. Why do the noises and smells of civilization bother Brian?
6. How does Brian feel about the fire he starts with matches?
7. What does Susan Smallhorn look like?
8. What fond memories does Brian have of his first wilderness experience?
9. What does Brian decide to do about the dog?
10. Why is it illegal in many states to hunt from canoes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, Brian pieces together the timeline of events when the Smallhorns were attacked by the bear. Discuss what happened to the Smallhorns.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 1 and 2, Brian considers different ways that he and animals hunt. Discuss hunting methods Brian remembers and uses.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 5 and 6, the dog seems to trust Brian. Discuss why it seems that the dog trusts Brian.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)