|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What needs to be alienated in epic theatre depends on the _____ demanded by the entire episode.
(b) Prop position.
(d) Character position.
2. Epic theatre strives to achieve a character rather than a _____.
3. Always standing parallel to the _____ is one of Brechts 'common tendencies for actors to guard against'.
4. Where is the Schiffbauerdamm theatre located?
5. Getting louder when increasing_____ is one of Brechts 'common tendencies for actors to guard against'.
Short Answer Questions
1. Speech of outstanding _____ is discouraged in epic theatre.
2. Brecht states that the farmer was not aware throughout the centuries of his need for _____.
3. Brecht admits that his insistence on avoiding self-identification with a character is a _____ concept.
4. The Berliner Ensemble didn't believe in cutting new actors off from _____.
5. _____ with a character should be treated as just another method of observation in rehearsals.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Brecht's view on casting?
2. Compare the modern playwright's relationship with his audience with the tradesman's relationship with his customers.
3. In what works did Brecht give up iambics and why?
4. What does Brecht see as the reasons for lifeless and stereotyped portrayals of characters by actors?
5. What is Brecht's view on costumes and masks?
6. What does Brecht say is considered to be social gest?
7. How was performance kept subordinate to the story in Antigone?
8. What did the ancients following Aristotle demand of tragedy?
9. What is Brecht's view on run-throughs?
10. How is a theatre's cultural standard decided and what is the fear that arises?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)