|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brecht categorizes the ruling classes in Hamlet as _____.
2. Brecht sees his epoch as having a _____ enjoyment of theatre than the ancients had.
3. Literary works cannot be taken over like _____.
4. _____ is a lament to man's failure to understand the laws governing his life in society.
(a) Die Mutter.
(c) The Threepenny Opera.
5. How does Brecht describe the confusion of styles present in European theatre in his time?
(a) As harmless.
(b) As sophisticated.
(c) As Epic.
(d) As Babylonian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brecht states that the titles of In Life of Galileo must include the _____.
2. Who was in charge of Das Wort?
3. Aiming to avoid artificial heat in the production of Katzgraben, Brecht felt the company fell short on _____.
4. Where in Laughton's house did he and Brecht work in the morning?
5. The actor first masters his character by mastering the _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the ancients following Aristotle demand of tragedy?
2. Compare the modern playwright's relationship with his audience with the tradesman's relationship with his customers.
3. What is Brecht's view on run-throughs?
4. What is Brecht's view on rehearsal of details?
5. Why does Brecht say that mere catastrophe is a bad teacher?
6. How does Brecht describe his cities after the great war in "From the Mother Courage Model"?
7. What does Brecht see as the reasons for lifeless and stereotyped portrayals of characters by actors?
8. What is Brecht's description of how academic critics treat folk plays and why does he think this?
9. How was performance kept subordinate to the story in Antigone?
10. What does theatre show us about the structure of society and how is this represented?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)