|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the music for Mother Courage?
2. Where did the first production of Galileo take place?
(a) Los Angeles.
(d) New Orleans.
3. The pomp of _____ has a hollow gest.
4. Who jeered at Galileo in the play of the same name?
(a) The nuns of Gloucester.
(b) His siblings.
(c) The monks of the Collegium Romanum.
(d) His rivals.
5. Who puts himself at the Philosopher's disposal in Der Messingkauf?
(a) The Dramaturg.
(b) The Actor.
(c) The Actress.
(d) The Electrician.
Short Answer Questions
1. The actor first masters his character by mastering the _____.
2. Life of Galileo starts with a man having his _____.
3. Brecht categorizes the ruling classes in Hamlet as _____.
4. What does Der Messingkauf mean in German?
5. Where did Brecht address the all-German cultural congress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the actors sit openly on the stage in Neher's production of Antigone?
2. What role does observation play in acting?
3. What system of production is present in bourgeois society?
4. Compare the modern playwright's relationship with his audience with the tradesman's relationship with his customers.
5. Why does Brecht say that mere catastrophe is a bad teacher?
6. How does Brecht say that the new sciences affect humanity?
7. Why does Brecht complain about the use of Volkstumlich in the German language?
8. What is Brecht's description of how academic critics treat folk plays and why does he think this?
9. How is a theatre's cultural standard decided and what is the fear that arises?
10. What does theatre show us about the structure of society and how is this represented?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)