|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Brecht's longtime secretary and collaborator?
(a) Martin Esslin.
(b) Alban Berg.
(c) Helge Hultberg.
(d) Elisabeth Hauptmann.
2. Who wrote the play, Konjunktur?
3. Brecht states in "On Form and Subject Matter" that difficulties are not mastered by _____.
(a) Practice alone.
(b) Keeping silent about them.
(c) Throwing oneself against a brick wall.
(d) Denying them.
4. Who does Brecht mention in association with Paris theatre when he talks about the theatre centers of the world?
5. What were the left-wing Socialists called in Brecht's time?
(a) The NKVD.
(b) The USPD.
(c) The Strong Arm Society.
(d) The Collective.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brecht say was a characteristic of actors in theatre of his time?
2. Which aspect of epic theatre added statistical material?
3. What does Brecht say his poetry requires in "Conversations with Bert Brecht"?
4. Brecht states that knowledge is just _____.
5. What does Brecht call the new style of acting that happened as a result of the Threepenny Opera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brecht say about inviting small guest companies to perform in the Augsberg theater?
2. What is the distinction between learning and amusing oneself in the theatre?
3. How does Brecht compare his relationship with art and science?
4. What has the translation tried to convey?
5. What does Brecht say about the mediocrity of German theatre?
6. Why does Brecht write that there is nothing at all new about epic theater?
7. How did Brecht feel about the role of singing in epic theatre?
8. What is the relationship between a theatre and a play?
9. What does Brecht tell Mr. X about the eternal urge to see of a play?
10. How did Wedekind present his last work, Herakles?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)