|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Serena constantly seek from other people?
2. As the couple drives along the highway, where does Maggie think they should go?
3. What does Maggie think of the request?
4. What does Serena look like at the funeral?
5. What is Serena like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ira and Maggie meet?
2. What does Jesse reveal as his ex wife and daughter arrive?
3. What does Maggie wish?
4. Why does Maggie want Leroy to live with them?
5. How does Ira react when he learns that Fiona and Leroy are coming for a visit?
6. What does Maggie want Ira to allow?
7. Where did Maggie work during high school?
8. Why was Maggie so fond of Fiona?
9. What is Breathing Lessons the story of?
10. Why does this remind her of Serena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. How is Maggie and Ira's life symbolic of the journey they take together in the novel?
2. Would you say that life is a journey that we embark in alone?
3. It is then our choice to pick a partner for the ride?
4. How is the drive from Baltimore and back symbolic of their relationship?
5. Is it important that the whole book happens in one day?
Essay Topic 2
1. Jesse seems to be the bane of Ira's existence.
2. Do you agree with the statement?
3. Does it seem like Jesse is trying to achieve more for himself and for his life?
4. Why do you think Fiona wanted Jesse back?
5. Why was it not the other way around?
Essay Topic 3
1. How has Maggie's friendship affected Serena's life?
2. Describe this, listing the times when Maggie helped Serena through a difficult occurrence.
3. Compare Maggie to a friend that you might have.
4. How are they similar or different?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)