|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what period of time does the story take place?
2. Who is Leroy?
3. What time was very important to Serena?
4. Where does everyone go after the funeral?
5. What does Maggie do for Ira?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the man at the nursing home describe to Maggie?
2. How did Jesse treat Fiona after they married?
3. What sets them back from leaving on time?
4. Why does this remind her of Serena?
5. What does Maggie want Ira to allow?
6. Where did Maggie work during high school?
7. How does Ira feel about his granddaughter?
8. Why is Serena mad?
9. Was Jesse popular with women?
10. What ailed Ira's sisters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. The theme of control occurs repeatedly in this book. Describe a time where Maggie tries to control everything.
2. How does Maggie's character exemplify the need to control?
3. How does Ira's?
4. How does Ira pacify Maggie so that she will not control so much? How does Maggie do this for Ira?
Essay Topic 2
1. Define post postpartum depression. Does it sound like Fiona went through this?
2. How did you over come her feelings?
3. Who helped her through the time?
4. Why wasn't Fiona's mother around to help her?
Essay Topic 3
1. Describe the structure of the novel.
2. How does Tyler choose to set everything up and how is it pertinent to the story?
3. How do the flashbacks work into the structure of the novel?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)