|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ira wish existed in his life?
2. What did everyone assume would happen with their relationship?
3. Who was sick in Ira's family?
4. Who is Leroy?
5. Who sings with Maggie at the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the time frame of the novel?
2. What does the couple hear on the radio?
3. What song do they sing?
4. Who does the couple encounter on the highway in Part 2 of the novel?
5. What is Breathing Lessons the story of?
6. Why is the couple traveling out of town?
7. How does Ira react when he learns that Fiona and Leroy are coming for a visit?
8. Does Maggie think Fiona still loves Jesse?
9. What does Serena think about those who sing?
10. Where does Serena find Ira and Maggie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Describe Jesse's character.
2. How has he been a disappointment to his family?
3. Why is he so different than everyone else?
4. Does Maggie blame herself for their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Fiona and Jesse and then describe:
1. Do you think the marriage between the two would ever work, even if Jesse had been available?
2. How would Jesse have needed to change to love Fiona correctly?
3. What would Fiona have needed to accept about Jesse to make him love her?
Essay Topic 3
1. How is Maggie and Ira's life symbolic of the journey they take together in the novel?
2. Would you say that life is a journey that we embark in alone?
3. It is then our choice to pick a partner for the ride?
4. How is the drive from Baltimore and back symbolic of their relationship?
5. Is it important that the whole book happens in one day?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)