|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week does the story start?
2. What does Maggie begin to think about?
3. What are difficult events in life?
4. What is Ira unnerved by?
5. How did Maggie and Ira become closer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of ambitions did Boris have?
2. Who tries to stop Fiona from coming on her visit?
3. Does Maggie think Fiona still loves Jesse?
4. What does Maggie think is not appropriate?
5. Why does this remind her of Serena?
6. What does Serena think about those who sing?
7. How does Ira react when he learns that Fiona and Leroy are coming for a visit?
8. What song do they sing?
9. Where does everyone go after the funeral?
10. What does Maggie wish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. How has Maggie's friendship affected Serena's life?
2. Describe this, listing the times when Maggie helped Serena through a difficult occurrence.
3. Compare Maggie to a friend that you might have.
4. How are they similar or different?
Essay Topic 2
Maggie often wonders about what could have been. Do you agree or disagree with that statement?
1. What are some happenings that Maggie wishes were different in her life?
2. How can Maggie make those changes now?
3. What is it about Maggie's personality that makes her unable to accept her life?
4. Being unsatisfied with ones life or personal projects can be extremely draining and depressing. Do you think that Maggie ever exhibits these qualities in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1. The theme of control occurs repeatedly in this book. Describe a time where Maggie tries to control everything.
2. How does Maggie's character exemplify the need to control?
3. How does Ira's?
4. How does Ira pacify Maggie so that she will not control so much? How does Maggie do this for Ira?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)