|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maggie beg Ira to go back to the swerving car?
2. What does Maggie do?
3. What does Serena ask of Ira and Maggie?
4. What does Serena wear to the wedding?
5. What is the novel Breathing Lessons about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things are Maggie shocked by when she arrives at Fiona's?
2. What causes Maggie to crash the car? What does Maggie want in her life?
3. What does the couple hear on the radio?
4. Does Ira love his children?
5. What is Leroy's favorite food?
6. What is Daisy's personality like?
7. Where does everyone go after the funeral?
8. Was Fiona's pregnancy difficult?
9. Who does the couple encounter on the highway in Part 2 of the novel?
10. What does Ira spend most of his time doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Fiona and Jesse and then describe:
1. Do you think the marriage between the two would ever work, even if Jesse had been available?
2. How would Jesse have needed to change to love Fiona correctly?
3. What would Fiona have needed to accept about Jesse to make him love her?
Essay Topic 2
1. How is Maggie and Ira's life symbolic of the journey they take together in the novel?
2. Would you say that life is a journey that we embark in alone?
3. It is then our choice to pick a partner for the ride?
4. How is the drive from Baltimore and back symbolic of their relationship?
5. Is it important that the whole book happens in one day?
Essay Topic 3
1. The theme of control occurs repeatedly in this book. Describe a time where Maggie tries to control everything.
2. How does Maggie's character exemplify the need to control?
3. How does Ira's?
4. How does Ira pacify Maggie so that she will not control so much? How does Maggie do this for Ira?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)