Part 1, Chapter 1
1. What is the novel Breathing Lessons about?
(a) Working out a commonplace marriage.
(b) Finding yourself.
(c) Improving one's life.
(d) Life lessons from the view of an elderly person.
2. Over what period of time does the story take place?
(a) A year.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
3. What day of the week does the story start?
(b) Saturday .
4. Where is the couple traveling to in the first section of the book?
(c) New York.
5. Whose funeral are they attending?
(a) Their son's.
(b) Their firend from out of town.
(c) Serena's husband.
(d) Their granddaughter's.
6. What is Ira unnerved by?
(a) Maggie's driving.
(b) Maggie's attitude.
(c) The fact that they are late leaving for their trip .
(d) The bad weather.
7. Who does Maggie hear on the radio?
(a) A song she loves.
(b) An annoying commercial .
(c) Her ex-daughter-in-law, Fiona.
(d) A discussion on talk radio.
8. What does Maggie crash into in the car?
(a) Another small car.
(b) A child.
(c) She runs right into the path of an oncoming delivery truck.
(d) A building.
This section contains 4,294 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)