Part 1, Chapter 1
• Breathing Lessons is the story of Maggie and Ira Moran and the struggle for extraordinary moments in their quite commonplace marriage.
• The story takes place in one day.
• Maggie and Ira are preparing to travel from their home in Baltimore to a small town in Pennsylvania to attend the funeral of the husband of Serena.
• Serena is Maggie's childhood friend
• Maggie thinks she hears the voice of her ex-daughter and law and has a minor accident because of it
• Both are in bad moods because they are angry with one another.
• Maggie's blundering behavior and accidents reveal her unsettled nature
• This is in stark contrast to that of Ira's methodical and exacting disposition
• Something has kept their relationship working, but what is it?
• Seeing old high school friends at the funeral makes Maggie realize that time has taken its toll on all of them
Part 1, Chapter 2
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)