|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Sophie and her mother say goodbye to Atie and Ifé?
2. How many other girls are in the group with Sophie?
3. What does Sophie's mother decide to do about her pregnancy?
4. Where does Sophie's mother kiss Sophie when she arrives at her mother's house?
5. What kind of group does Sophie attend in hopes of solving her problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edwidge Danticat set the book in Haiti and in the United States. Why did she set the book in these places and what is her goal with this book? Did she achieve that goal?
Essay Topic 2
Female characters are a big theme in the book. In the third book, a new female character, Brigitte, gets introduced. What is her role through the rest of the book? What is her liaison to the other female characters? Where is her importance displayed in the book?
Essay Topic 3
"Breath, Eyes, Memory" is split up into four books. Describe the setting of each book and explain why these settings change. Why is each setting important for the plot? How does each setting affect the main character Sophie?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)