|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie find when she gets home after visiting her mother the evening of the singing?
2. Why is Atie standing with her back to the wall when Sophie asks her a question about Brigitte?
3. What kind of voice does the baby that speaks to Sophie's mother have?
4. Why does Atie think she was a fool, while she is standing in her room talking to Sophie?
5. Who buys the pig from Louise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Haitian government is violent and the Haitian people are fearful of it. This theme appears several times over the course of the book. Where is this displayed in "Breath, Eyes, Memory?" Give three examples of the fear and/or the violent regime.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty is a theme that is mentioned a few times in "Breath, Eyes, Memory." Where in the book is this theme displayed? Give three examples of how you know Haitian people are poor.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes explored throughout this book is the inequality between men and women in Haiti during the time in which it is set. Give three examples and explain the inequality.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)