|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of voice does the baby that speaks to Sophie's mother have?
2. What does Sophie think about when she goes to bed with Joseph the second night back from Haiti?
3. What does Atie call her life during a talk with Sophie while feeding the pig?
4. What does Sophie do when her mother arrives for a visit?
5. What does Sophie's mother sing the evening they all have dinner at her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edwidge Danticat set the book in Haiti and in the United States. Why did she set the book in these places and what is her goal with this book? Did she achieve that goal?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Sophie's mother Martine and Sophie's aunt Atie. We read about them while they were young and when they meet in Haiti. They talk about each other to Sophie. What is important to them? What do they talk about to Sophie and to each other?
Essay Topic 3
"Breath, Eyes, Memory" is split up into four books. Describe the setting of each book and explain why these settings change. Why is each setting important for the plot? How does each setting affect the main character Sophie?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)