|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ifé answer when Sophie asks why mothers test their children?
2. What mode of transportation does the family use to get to the apartment?
3. Where does Atie feed the pig after coming home the night of the supper?
4. What does the therapist suggest the unborn child is proof of?
5. Who is worried about Sophie, according to Sophie's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Danticat emphasizes the roles religion and superstition play in the characters' lives. Give five examples of where religion or superstition are mentioned and explain these examples in depth.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty is a theme that is mentioned a few times in "Breath, Eyes, Memory." Where in the book is this theme displayed? Give three examples of how you know Haitian people are poor.
Essay Topic 3
Edwidge Danticat set the book in Haiti and in the United States. Why did she set the book in these places and what is her goal with this book? Did she achieve that goal?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)