|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Atie doing in the yard later that night when she comes home?
2. What do Ifé and Atie argue about at dinner?
3. When Sophie gets ready for bed her first night in the United States, what does she hand her mother?
4. What represents Sophie's mother in the poem?
5. What is the name of Sophie's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sophie asks her mother why she put her through those tests. What does Sophie's mother answer?
2. What happens at the sexual phobia group Sophie attends in Chapter 31?
3. Two special events happen during dinner in Chapter 20. Which two events are different than other nights?
4. One night, Sophie comes home from seeing Joseph and finds her mother waiting for her in the living room. What happens after Sophie gets home?
5. What does Sophie do for herself and for her baby in the morning, in Chapter 16?
6. Who is the cassette from that the family receives and what does the person on the cassette say?
7. What happens at the market when Sophie and her grandmother go there in Chapter 17?
8. Sophie asks her grandmother why mothers test their children. What does her grandmother answer?
9. One night, Sophie gets ready for bed and hears her grandmother dreaming. What does Sophie ask her daughter after she noticed the dreams of her grandmother?
10. Sophie and her grandmother eat their dinner outside in the yard, watching a light move back and forth in the distance. What does this light mean? What happens to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Talk about the relationship between Sophie and her mother and how it changes over the course of the book. Compare their relationship through the four books. Do you think both women came to terms with each other? Why do you think that?
Essay Topic 2
Dreams are another big theme in "Breath, Eyes, Memory." Who is having dreams? What do the dreams symbolize? Compare and contrast each character's dreams.
Essay Topic 3
Sophie's life changes drastaically when she moves to New York and lives with her mother. Describe in your own words what Sophie does when she first gets to the States. How does she adapt? Who does she meet? How does she feel?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)