|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sophie notice a statue of Erzulie?
2. What question does Joseph ask Sophie when he tells her he is leaving forever?
3. What does Sophie tell Louise her profession is back home?
4. What does Grandma Ifé talk about on the way back from the market?
5. What does Sophie's aunt learn to do while Sophie is away?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sophie is leaving in the van, she describes a sight called Guinea. What is Guinea?
2. One night Sophie's grandmother cooks beans and she and Sophie have a conversation about Sophie's husband. What do they talk about?
3. What does Sophie do after the conversation about her mother with her therapist?
4. Sophie calls Joseph back at her mother's apartment. What is their conversation about?
5. Sophie asks her mother why she put her through those tests. What does Sophie's mother answer?
6. What has changed in Sophie's life when the third book opens with Chapter 13?
7. What does Sophie's therapist tell Sophie after she explains her mother's condition?
8. Describe the events surrounding the Mother's Day card Sophie intends to give her Aunt Atie.
9. One night, Sophie gets ready for bed and hears her grandmother dreaming. What does Sophie ask her daughter after she noticed the dreams of her grandmother?
10. What happens the night Joseph comes home from touring and takes Sophie out to the Note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie's life changes drastaically when she moves to New York and lives with her mother. Describe in your own words what Sophie does when she first gets to the States. How does she adapt? Who does she meet? How does she feel?
Essay Topic 2
Storytelling is important in "Breath, Eyes, Memory." Who tells most of these stories? What do they represent and why are they told? How do they further the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Sophie's mother Martine and Sophie's aunt Atie. We read about them while they were young and when they meet in Haiti. They talk about each other to Sophie. What is important to them? What do they talk about to Sophie and to each other?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)