|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sophie feel after she has her baby?
2. What time is it when Sophie comes home one night and finds her mother waiting for her?
(a) 4 AM.
(b) 2 AM.
(d) 3 AM.
3. Where does Sophie keep her own pictures?
(a) In her clothes.
(b) In her suitcase.
(c) In her room.
(d) In her wallet.
4. How old is Sophie when she meets Joseph?
(a) 18 years old.
(b) 16 years old.
(c) 19 years old.
(d) 21 years old.
5. Atie behaves differently one morning at breakfast. What does Atie do when she eats breakfast?
(a) She keeps her head down as she eats.
(b) She smiles while she eats.
(c) She eats with her elbows on the table.
(d) She keeps her head up as she eats.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sophie go to the airport?
2. What does Sophie say when her grandmother asks if her husband is a good man?
3. Why does Sophie not want anybody to see her body?
4. Where does Sophie's mother live?
5. What poem does Atie read before she leaves the house for the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sophie is leaving in the van, she describes a sight called Guinea. What is Guinea?
2. What happens at the market when Sophie and her grandmother go there in Chapter 17?
3. Sophie and Atie have a conversation on the steps when Atie comes home one night. What does Atie talk about?
4. What does Sophie's room in Brooklyn look like?
5. What happens at Sophie's mother's apartment the weekend that Joseph, Sophie, and Brigitte drive there on the weekend?
6. What happens during the week before Sophie leaves to see her mother?
7. Pictures play an important role in Chapter 19. Why does Sophie want to take a picture of her grandmother and how does her grandmother react?
8. Dessalines' death gets Sophie thinking about the Macoutes. What does she think about the Macoutes and how is that related to her mother?
9. After the argument between the Macoute and the coal vendor, what does Sophie's grandmother tell Sophie about aunt Atie's recent behavior?
10. What does Sophie do for herself and for her baby in the morning, in Chapter 16?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)