|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sophie give her daughter the middle name Ifé?
(a) After her mother.
(b) After herself.
(c) After her grandmother.
(d) After her aunt.
2. What does Atie make for breakfast the day after the potluck?
(a) Cinnamon rice pudding.
(b) Eggs and bacon.
(d) Chocolate pudding.
3. What does Sophie keep dreaming about?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her dog.
(d) Her mother.
4. When Sophie gets ready for bed her first night in the United States, what does she hand her mother?
(a) Her glasses.
(b) Her dress.
(c) The Mother Day's card.
(d) Her pants.
5. Where does Sophie's mother live?
(a) New Jersey.
(d) The Bronx.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sophie's grandmother look during the visit?
2. What does Joseph say when Sophie doesn't answer the question he asks her?
3. Which color do Sophie and her mother love?
4. What does Sophie drink during the potluck dinner for which Atie has been preparing food all day?
5. Who is the sender of the item that comes for the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the second time Sophie's mother tries to test her and she fails?
2. Pictures play an important role in Chapter 19. Why does Sophie want to take a picture of her grandmother and how does her grandmother react?
3. Sophie and her grandmother eat their dinner outside in the yard, watching a light move back and forth in the distance. What does this light mean? What happens to it?
4. What happens in Chapter 14 when Sophie and her aunt Atie walk home after Sophie arrives with a van?
5. Why does Sophie's mother not look happy to be home?
6. What does Sophie initially talk about with her therapist in Chapter 32?
7. Describe the events surrounding the Mother's Day card Sophie intends to give her Aunt Atie.
8. Before Sophie leaves, Atie wants her to say goodbye to her grandmother, Ifé. How do Sophie and Atie get to the grandmother?
9. When Sophie is leaving in the van, she describes a sight called Guinea. What is Guinea?
10. What has changed in Sophie's life when the third book opens with Chapter 13?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)