|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie say when her grandmother asks if her husband is a good man?
(c) Yes, very much so.
(d) Not always.
2. When do Sophie and Joseph get married?
(a) One week after they run off.
(b) One month after they meet.
(c) One month after they run off.
(d) Two months after they run off.
3. What is Joseph's profession?
4. When was the picture taken of Sophie and Joseph that Sophie looks at?
(a) On the day Sophie left.
(b) When they first met.
(c) On their wedding day.
(d) Before their wedding day.
5. What country is Sophie in when the third book opens?
(a) Dominican Republic.
(d) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Atie like, according to Ifé?
2. What does Sophie drink during the potluck dinner for which Atie has been preparing food all day?
3. Who is the sender of the item that comes for the family?
4. What does the new supper guest bring as a gift?
5. What does Ifé do when a boy wanders into the yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the night Joseph comes home from touring and takes Sophie out to the Note?
2. What does Sophie see after she bathes and changes the baby?
3. After the argument between the Macoute and the coal vendor, what does Sophie's grandmother tell Sophie about aunt Atie's recent behavior?
4. What does Sophie's room in Brooklyn look like?
5. What did Atie and her sister Martine do in Port-au-Prince when they were young?
6. Sophie falls in love with Joseph when she is eighteen. Who is Joseph and how does she fall in love with him?
7. What does Sophie's mother tell Sophie after arriving at her mother's house?
8. Describe the events surrounding the Mother's Day card Sophie intends to give her Aunt Atie.
9. Pictures play an important role in Chapter 19. Why does Sophie want to take a picture of her grandmother and how does her grandmother react?
10. What does Sophie's therapist tell Sophie after she explains her mother's condition?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)