|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sophie and Joseph do after the last test of Sophie's mother?
(a) They run off to get married.
(b) They break up.
(c) They stay in Joseph's house.
(d) They run off to get children.
2. What is the driver in the van calling Sophie on her way to La Nouvelle Dame Marie?
3. Where does Joseph take Sophie when he comes home from touring the first time?
(a) To the Note.
(b) To the Vote.
(c) To a bar without a name.
(d) To the Road.
4. Where does Sophie keep her own pictures?
(a) In her clothes.
(b) In her room.
(c) In her wallet.
(d) In her suitcase.
5. How long does Joseph stay in Providence after the incident between Sophie and her mother?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sophie give her daughter the middle name Ifé?
2. How is chagrin treated?
3. What does the new supper guest bring as a gift?
4. What does Atie make for breakfast the day after the potluck?
5. What does Grandma Ifé talk about on the way back from the market?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sophie and her grandmother eat their dinner outside in the yard, watching a light move back and forth in the distance. What does this light mean? What happens to it?
2. What name does Sophie make up for her boyfriend and how does her mother react?
3. Pictures play an important role in Chapter 19. Why does Sophie want to take a picture of her grandmother and how does her grandmother react?
4. One night, Sophie comes home from seeing Joseph and finds her mother waiting for her in the living room. What happens after Sophie gets home?
5. Dessalines' death gets Sophie thinking about the Macoutes. What does she think about the Macoutes and how is that related to her mother?
6. Sophie asks her grandmother why mothers test their children. What does her grandmother answer?
7. Why does Sophie's mother not look happy to be home?
8. What does Sophie think about when she looks at a picture of her and Joseph on their wedding day?
9. What did Atie and her sister Martine do in Port-au-Prince when they were young?
10. What happens at the house of Sophie's grandmother after she and Atie have an argument about Atie's reading lessons?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)