|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Atie do instead of going to Louise's house?
(a) She sits on the porch with Martine.
(b) She sits on the porch with Sophie.
(c) She sits on the porch with Ifé.
(d) She sits on the porch with Louise.
2. What does Atie do when Louise comes over and tells her the Macoutes killed the coal vendor?
(a) She starts crying.
(b) She massages Louise's scalp.
(c) She massages Louise's shoulders.
(d) She gives Louise some tea.
3. What do Atie and Ifé do when Sophie's mother arrives for a visit?
(a) They run to Sophie's mother in the kitchen to hug her.
(b) They run to Sophie's mother in the yard to yell at her.
(c) They run to Sophie's mother in the yard to kiss her.
(d) They run to Sophie's mother in the yard to hug her.
4. Which word does Brigitte learn to say when Sophie gets home from her meeting?
5. Where do Ifé and Sophie eat their dinner when Tante Atie does not come home for supper?
(a) By the neighbors.
(b) Outside in the yard.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) Outside on the porch.
6. When does Sophie say she will go visit her mother during their phone call the day Sophie takes Brigitte to the doctor?
(a) That evening.
(b) That weekend.
(c) Two weekends from now.
7. What does Eliab buy at the market when Sophie sends him there?
(b) Milk and a mango.
(d) A mango.
8. According to Atie, why should Sophie treat her mother well?
(a) Because Atie loves her sister.
(b) Because Sophie would want her daughter to treat her well.
(c) Because Sophie does have her mother forever.
(d) Because Sophie does not have her mother forever.
9. What did Atie used to call the hill in the distance?
10. Where does Atie feed the pig after coming home the night of the supper?
(a) In the bath house.
(b) On the steps.
(c) On the floor.
(d) In the kitchen.
11. What does Sophie's mother sing the evening they all have dinner at her house?
(a) An old love song.
(b) An old rap song.
(c) An old Negro spiritual.
(d) An old reggae song.
12. What does Sophie answer when her therapist asks her if she ever hated her mother?
(a) Every day.
(c) It was not hate.
(d) Not ever.
13. Why is Sophie's mother thin when Sophie first meets her?
(a) She has bulimia.
(b) She has a cold.
(c) She is sad.
(d) She has cancer.
14. After skipping dinner one night, she joins in again. What does Atie do after that dinner?
(a) She goes for her reading lesson.
(b) She does the dishes.
(c) She goes for her music lesson.
(d) She goes out with Louise.
15. Who is asleep when the family arrives back in New York?
(b) Sophie's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Martine and Atie's parents used to tell stories about?
2. What does Sophie's grandmother tell Martine on a cassette?
3. Why does Sophie's therapist scold her the first time she goes back to her?
4. Why does Sophie leave Joseph?
5. Who makes dinner the night Atie comes back home?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)