|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Atie do when Louise comes over and tells her the Macoutes killed the coal vendor?
(a) She massages Louise's scalp.
(b) She starts crying.
(c) She massages Louise's shoulders.
(d) She gives Louise some tea.
2. How does Sophie describe the relationship with her mother to her therapist?
(a) She says she and her mother want to be good to each other.
(b) She says she and her mother want to stay together forever.
(c) She says she and her mother hate each other.
(d) She says she and her mother love each other.
3. What happens to Sophie's mother each time she thinks about having the baby taken out?
(a) She cannot bathe.
(b) She cannot breathe.
(c) She cannot sleep.
(d) She cannot eat.
4. What do Macoutes do?
(a) They roam the streets with their wives.
(b) They roam the streets handing out stuff.
(c) They roam the streets with dogs.
(d) They roam the streets with their Uzi machine guns.
5. What is Sophie watching the morning after Dessalines is killed?
(a) A rainbow.
(b) A pig.
(c) Rainbow butterflies.
(d) A flock of birds.
6. What does Sophie's mother sing the evening they all have dinner at her house?
(a) An old reggae song.
(b) An old Negro spiritual.
(c) An old love song.
(d) An old rap song.
7. Why does Sophie not eat much during lunch on the plane?
(a) Bcause she has cancer.
(b) Because she is not hungry.
(c) Because she has bulimia.
(d) Because she is sad.
8. Who is present at dinner on the weekend Sophie's mother has visitors over?
(a) Sophie, Sophie's mother, Marc, and Brigitte.
(b) Sophie, Joseph, Sophie's mother, and Marc.
(c) Sophie, Joseph, Sophie's mother, Marc, and Brigitte.
(d) Sophie, Joseph, Sophie's mother, and Brigitte.
9. Where does Sophie's grandmother go with her face covered in ashes?
(a) To the market.
(b) To visit the neighbor.
(c) To church.
(d) To the cemetery.
10. What does Sophie tell Joseph the night they watch a movie about two lovers?
(a) She says her mother is sick.
(b) She says her mother is sad.
(c) She says her mother is pretentious.
(d) She says her mother is pregnant.
11. When do the members of the group write the name of their abuser on a sheet of paper?
(a) At the end of the meeting.
(b) Ten minutes into the meeting.
(d) At the beginning of the meeting.
12. How many other girls are in the group with Sophie?
(d) Sophie is the only girl.
13. Where do Martine and Ifé go the day after Martine arrives?
(a) To the notery.
(b) To the bakery.
(c) To the doctor.
(d) To the market.
14. What does Sophie do at the place she stops by after her second visit to her therapist?
(a) She drinks tea by flashlight.
(b) She drinks cola by candlelight.
(c) She drinks tea by candlelight.
(d) She drinks coffee by candlelight.
15. What does Sophie need for her relationship with Joseph to work out?
(a) She needs to eat more food.
(b) She needs understanding.
(c) She needs another child.
(d) She needs an aphrodisiac.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie's mother do while on the plane?
2. Why is Sophie's mother thin when Sophie first meets her?
3. What mode of transportation does the family use to get to the apartment?
4. How do Marc and Sophie's mother behave over dinner?
5. How does Ifé answer when Sophie asks why mothers test their children?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)