|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sophie stop after her second appointment with her therapist?
(a) By the place where her doctor lives.
(b) By the place where her sexual phobia group is held.
(c) By the place where her reading group is held.
(d) By the place where her mother lives.
2. What does Sophie need for her relationship with Joseph to work out?
(a) She needs understanding.
(b) She needs to eat more food.
(c) She needs another child.
(d) She needs an aphrodisiac.
3. Who does Sophie call from her mother's apartment when she's back in the United States?
4. What happens to Sophie's mother at the end of the book?
(a) She hangs herself.
(b) She gets sick.
(c) She stabs herself in the stomach.
(d) She takes pills.
5. Why is Sophie's mother afraid being back at home?
(a) Because she is pregnant.
(b) Because Sophie is pregnant.
(c) Because she doesn't want to be with Marc anymore.
(d) Because she doesn't like New York.
6. Why does Sophie's therapist scold her the first time she goes back to her?
(a) For going to Haiti.
(b) For not showing up for weeks.
(c) For disappearing so suddenly.
(d) For showing up today.
7. Why is Sophie's mother thin when Sophie first meets her?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She has bulimia.
(c) She has a cold.
(d) She has cancer.
8. What does Sophie do after the funeral?
(a) She runs to the house of her grandmother.
(b) She runs into the cane fields.
(c) She runs into the river.
(d) She runs into the grave.
9. What does Sophie find when she gets home after visiting her mother the evening of the singing?
(a) No messages on the answering machine.
(b) Two messages from her mother on the answering machine.
(c) Two messages from her mother in the mail.
(d) A letter in the mail.
10. What does Sophie's mother decide to do about her pregnancy?
(a) She is going to give the baby to Sophie.
(b) She is going to have the baby adopted.
(c) She is not going to have the baby taken out.
(d) She is going to have the baby taken out.
11. What color are the clothes Sophie picks for her mother to wear?
12. Where is Sophie's mother buried?
(a) In Haiti.
(b) In France.
(c) In the Dominican Republic.
(d) In the United States.
13. Where is Atie when Martine and Ifé come back from their errand?
(a) Atie is sleeping.
(b) Atie is in the kitchen.
(c) Atie went out.
(d) Atie is on the porch.
14. What does Sophie tell her therapist when she goes back to see her?
(a) That she is worried about her mother.
(b) That she is worried about her daughter.
(c) That she is worried about her appetite.
(d) That she is worried about her health.
15. What kind of voice does the baby that speaks to Sophie's mother have?
(a) A ghost's voice.
(b) A kid's voice.
(c) A man's voice.
(d) A woman's voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie do at the place she stops by after her second visit to her therapist?
2. Why does Atie think she was a fool, while she is standing in her room talking to Sophie?
3. Why does Sophie not want to disturb Atie when she goes to bed?
4. What does Sophie say when her therapist asks her if she went to the spot where her mother was raped during the trip?
5. According to Atie, why should Sophie treat her mother well?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)