|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sophie retrieve her daughter after noticing the statue of Erzulie?
(a) From the kitchen.
(b) From her own room,
(c) From Ifé's room,
(d) From Atie's room,
2. What represents Sophie's mother in the poem?
(a) A daffodil.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A saint.
(d) A sunflower.
3. What does Louis want grandmother and Sophie to buy?
(a) All her food.
(b) Her car.
(c) Her pig.
4. How do Sophie and her grandmother react to Louise at the market?
(a) They listen to Louise.
(b) They buy what Louise wants them to buy.
(c) They ignore Louise.
(d) They laugh at Louise.
5. Where at her grandmother's house does Sophie drop her suitcase?
(a) On the road.
(b) In the yard.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) On the porch.
6. How does Ifé feel after Atie yells at her makers at the kitchen table?
(b) She's crying.
(d) She's laughing.
7. What life form does the woman in the story Sophie heard take on in order to stop bleeding?
(a) A butter flower.
(b) A fly.
(c) A bird.
(d) A butterfly.
8. How does Sophie's grandmother look during the visit?
9. What do Sophie and Joseph do after the last test of Sophie's mother?
(a) They break up.
(b) They stay in Joseph's house.
(c) They run off to get children.
(d) They run off to get married.
10. Who is the outsider that joins the family for supper one evening at Ife's house?
(c) The neighbor.
11. How does Atie try to cheer Sophie up?
(a) By telling her a funny story.
(b) By serving her more pudding.
(c) By taking her for a walk.
(d) By telling her a stupid joke.
12. Where does Sophie keep her own pictures?
(a) In her clothes.
(b) In her wallet.
(c) In her suitcase.
(d) In her room.
13. What has arrived for the family the day an outsider joins for supper?
(a) A CD.
(b) A letter.
(c) A book.
(d) A cassette.
14. What does the new supper guest bring as a gift?
(a) A goat.
(c) A pig.
15. When Sophie gets ready for bed her first night in the United States, what does she hand her mother?
(a) The Mother Day's card.
(b) Her pants.
(c) Her dress.
(d) Her glasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atie say she sometimes writes?
2. Where is Louise standing when she shouts Atie's name before picking her up?
3. What is Louise selling on the side of the road?
4. Who is the woman that picks Sophie up also caring for?
5. What does Sophie drink when she and Joseph go out in Long Island?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)