Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding the Mother's Day card Sophie intends to give her Aunt Atie.
2. What happens during the potluck dinner Atie and Sophie attend in Chapter 1?
3. Before Sophie leaves, Atie wants her to say goodbye to her grandmother, Ifé. How do Sophie and Atie get to the grandmother?
4. What happens during the week before Sophie leaves to see her mother?
5. What did Atie and her sister Martine do in Port-au-Prince when they were young?
6. What does Sophie's room in Brooklyn look like?
7. What happens the night Sophie's mother introduces her boyfriend Marc to Sophie and what do they talk about?
8. What does Sophie do the first two months she is living in New York?
9. Sophie falls in love with Joseph when she is eighteen. Who is Joseph and how does she fall in love with him?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)