Book 1, Chapter 1 | Book 1, Chapter 2
- Twelve-year-old Sophie lives in Croix-des-Rosets, Haiti.
- Sophie is being raised by her aunt Atie.
- Sophie makes a Mother's Day card for Atie, who wants Sophie to give it to her mother instead.
- Sophie has never met her mother who lives in New York.
- Sophie and Atie go to a potluck dinner.
- Atie tells Sophie about Sophie's mother.
Book 1, Chapter 3 | Book 1, Chapter 4
- Before Sophie leaves for the US, she and Atie visit Sophie's grandmother Ifé in La Nouvelle Dame Marie.
- Atie works hard to buy Sophie some farewell gifts.
- Sophie dreams about her mother a lot.
- Atie wins the lottery.
- Atie and Sophie leave for the airport by taxi.
Book 1, Chapter 5 | Book 1, Chapter 6
- Atie talks about her memories of Port-au-Prince.
- There are protesters near the airport.
- Sophie and Atie say goodbye...
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)