|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs away?
2. What do the guests at the Cullen home feel the need to declare?
3. What does Charlie ask for just before he leaves?
4. What does Edward say they are looking for as far as other vampire families are concerned?
5. Why doesn't Bella answer Edward when he calls to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlisle step forward immediately to talk?
2. What does Bella do after dropping Jacob and Renesmee off at Charlie's house?
3. How does Bella "punish" Emmett for things he says while Charlie is there?
4. What do the guests staying at the Cullen home feel the need to declare?
5. Why can't Bella move or scream and what is her predominant thought?
6. How does Bella begin to work with her shield?
7. Who arrives with the Volturi and what is Irina's reaction when she sees her sisters?
8. How does Aro learn the truth about Renesmee?
9. What does Edward do to get Bella inside the house and what is a gift from him to her?
10. What is the next scent Bella smells on the hunt and what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Breaking Dawn, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Breaking Dawn. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Breaking Dawn is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)