Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carlisle assure Edward about concerning Bella?
2. Why can't Bella move or scream?
3. What do the Volturi know of the Cullen's plans?
4. What doesn't Bella think Edward feels cold when he squeezes her hand?
5. Why is Alice furious with Jacob?
Essay Topic 1
Edward summons him outside to talk, assuring Bella he just wants to speak to Jacob, and Bella tells Jacob to behave and come back. Outside, Edward tells Jacob he is not ready for Jacob to kill him yet. Edward asks Jacob to talk to her, even suggesting that Jacob can impregnate her if Bella really wants a baby so badly. Jacob agrees to talk to Bella, and he also agrees to a deal with Edward: he will kill Edward when Bella dies. Jacob tells her she looks hideous and asks why she is doing this to herself. Bella believes this will work out; she has to believe in magic after all she has lived through, and she especially believes in magic for Jacob finding someone.
1. Do you think Bella is in denial about being so hopeful? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Breaking Dawn to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss in detail what you think Edward being willing for Jacob to get Bella pregnant suggests about Edward? Use examples from your own life and Breaking Dawn to support your reasoning.
3. Do you think most mothers would be willing to die in order to give their child life? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Breaking Dawn to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Edward and Jacob. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Bella and Jacob. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Breaking Dawn help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Breaking Dawn. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Meyer's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Meyer use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)