|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward think of what Aro tells Renesmee?
2. What animal do they smell that repulses Bella?
3. What is Renesmee's first sentence?
4. Whose arrival surprises everyone?
5. What does Bella have to do in order to shield all the werewolves scattered about?
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Breaking Dawn help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Breaking Dawn? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Breaking Dawn to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Breaking Dawn and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Breaking Dawn is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Breaking Dawn belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 2,613 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)