|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bella wonder if it will stop the Volturi?
2. What does Bella think seems more alive?
3. What animal do they smell that repulses Bella?
4. Where does Alice climb and what does she do at the opening of Chapter 24?
5. How does Charlie respond to Bella when he first sees her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Denalis arrive?
2. Why doesn't Bella answer Edward and how does Alice allay his worries?
3. How does Bella "punish" Emmett for things he says while Charlie is there?
4. Why do the people caring for Bella think it best she not see Renesmee right away after waking?
5. Why does Carlisle step forward immediately to talk?
6. Describe the scene when Bella gets to hold Renesmee for the first time.
7. What does Edward tell Bella about Renesmee when they are returning to the house from the hunt?
8. What is the first scent Bella smells on the hunt and how does she react?
9. What do the guests staying at the Cullen home feel the need to declare?
10. What does Bella want of J. Jenks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Breaking Dawn belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Breaking Dawn interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Jacob. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Bella. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Edward. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)