|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward say Aro will not be able to keep Renesmee from doing?
2. Who speaks first?
3. What shocks Edward when Bella turns to go in another direction?
4. What do the guests at the Cullen home feel the need to declare?
5. Where does Bella follow Edward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Breaking Dawn help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Breaking Dawn? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Breaking Dawn to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Breaking Dawn. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Meyer chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Meyer's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Meyer use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Breaking Dawn. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Breaking Dawn. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of change in Breaking Dawn. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with change? Why? What are some symbols of change? Which characters seem to change the most?
This section contains 2,633 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)