|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Irina?
2. Where does Alice climb and what does she do at the opening of Chapter 24?
3. How does Bella know the Volturi are about to start something?
4. Who runs away?
5. Whose vicious smile infuriates Bella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Denalis arrive?
2. What do the Cullens decide to do in order to try to slow Renesmee's growth, but what does Bella have to do first?
3. Why doesn't Bella answer Edward and how does Alice allay his worries?
4. How does Bella "punish" Emmett for things he says while Charlie is there?
5. What is the next scent Bella smells on the hunt and what does she do?
6. What do the guests staying at the Cullen home feel the need to declare?
7. Who arrives with the Volturi and what is Irina's reaction when she sees her sisters?
8. Why can't Bella move or scream and what is her predominant thought?
9. What is evidence that Renesmee is growing rapidly?
10. What does Edward do to get Bella inside the house and what is a gift from him to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bella is furious when she realizes Jacob imprinted on Renesmee, but Jacob argues that it was involuntary and points out that Bella said they belong in each other's lives. He just wants Renesmee to be safe and happy. Edward and Carlisle are impressed that Bella has not yet gone for Jacob's throat, but when she tells him to stay away from her daughter and he objects the Nessie likes him too, Bella lunges for his throat because he nicknamed her daughter after the Lochness Monster.
1. Discuss the reasons you think Bella is so angry about Jacob and Renesmee imprinting. Use examples from your own life and Breaking Dawn to support your reasoning.
2. Do you think it was destiny for Jacob to imprint Renesmee? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Breaking Dawn to support your reasoning.
3. Discuss in depth, why you think it bothers Bella so much that Jacob calls her daughter Nessie. Use examples from your own life and Breaking Dawn to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Breaking Dawn help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Breaking Dawn? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Breaking Dawn to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)