|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie ask for just before he leaves?
2. Who runs away?
3. From whom does Aro ask to hear the story of Renesmee?
4. Why doesn't Bella answer Edward when he calls to her?
5. What is the overriding sensation Bella is experiencing after receiving vampire blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bella feeling and what brings her out of her pain for a brief moment?
2. What happens when the Denalis arrive?
3. What does Edward say he wants of the Denali clan, and what is their response?
4. What do the Cullens decide to do in order to try to slow Renesmee's growth, but what does Bella have to do first?
5. Describe the scene when Bella gets to hold Renesmee for the first time.
6. What does Edward do to get Bella inside the house and what is a gift from him to her?
7. What does Bella do after dropping Jacob and Renesmee off at Charlie's house?
8. What do the guests staying at the Cullen home feel the need to declare?
9. What does Bella want to learn from Edward and why is he furious?
10. Why does Bella want to go to the Volturi alone and how does Edward feel about that plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of love in Breaking Dawn. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate? What characters seem loving?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Breaking Dawn. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of change in Breaking Dawn. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with change? Why? What are some symbols of change? Which characters seem to change the most?
Essay Topic 2
Breaking Dawn belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Breaking Dawn is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)