|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wayne do after watching the patrons through the peephole?
2. Where does Kilgore walk to after leaving the car and wading through the water?
3. What does Bonnie MacMahon, a waitress, say whenever she serves a patron a martini?
4. Where do Francine and Dwayne meet after he calls her?
5. What did Rabo tell the people surrounding him at the piano to make them adore him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does The Narrator convince Kilgore of at the end of the novel?
2. What is the conflict that Dwayne might have with his twin brothers, Lyle and Kyle?
3. What does Dwayne do when he fails to punch Wayne outside of the hotel?
4. What causes Kilgore to get out of the car and start walking toward Midland City and his fateful meeting with Dwayne?
5. In Chapter 20, what does the desk clerk at the hotel say to Kilgore about his work?
6. What is the book the driver describes having read that Kilgore realizes is one of his own novels about?
7. What is the parallel between Dwayne's irrelevant phrases and the narrative?
8. What do Kilgore and the driver drive by in West Virginia and who was it founded by?
9. What is one of the events in the novel that The Narrator believes he could have done differently?
10. What does Grace, Harry's wife, tell Harry he should do regarding his job at Dwayne's dealership?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After seeing a message scrawled on the wall of the bathroom in the pornography theatre, Kilgore ponders the question at length. Discuss this scene with a clear thesis explaining why Kilgore devotes such attention to the question and how it affects him.
Essay Topic 2
After Dwayne's fateful reading of Kilgore's Now It Can Be Told, he accosts numerous people in a violent rampage. Relate what is known about the plot of Kilgore's novel and how it affects Dwayne who is in a critical mental state. Assess the plot of Kilgore's novel and how Dwayne interprets it in order to explain why Dwayne embarks on his rampage after reading it.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Kilgore's comment at the police station being picked up by a newspaper and, thus, causing widespread panic among New Yorkers? What are the circumstances surrounding Kilgore's being at the police station and what are circumstances following afterward, which Kilgore is never even made aware of? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)