|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kilgore see the coal mining landscape?
2. What do the driver and Kilgore talk about as they travel through the mining town?
3. Where is Eliot Rosewater at the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. In chapter 21, who surrounds Rabo at the piano in the hotel lounge?
5. What does Harry infer about Dwayne's ignoring him at the car dealership?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dwayne do to Francine on his violent rampage?
2. How are Wayne and the reader similar to one another in Chapter 19?
3. What is one of the events in the novel that The Narrator believes he could have done differently?
4. What is it that The Narrator claims has been stalking him throughout the book?
5. What does The Narrator state is the spiritual climax of the novel?
6. Why does the sight of The Narrator in the hotel Lobby make Kilgore nervous?
7. Why does Bunny not fight back when his father, Dwayne, assaults him in the hotel lounge?
8. What do Kilgore and the driver drive by in West Virginia and who was it founded by?
9. In Now It Can Be Told, what is the main difference between the creator of the universe and the reader?
10. Why does The Narrator place himself in the hotel lounge scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, numerous coincidences are mentioned linking characters, places and events. Describe several of these coincidences and argue whether they are significant to the narrative, or trivial. How do they affect the narrative? How do they affect characters? Do they not affect anything at all? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is Wayne looking at the people in the hotel lounge through the kitchen's peephole in Chapter 19 similar to exactly what the reader is doing with Breakfast of Champions? What are the events Wayne is watching? What is their significance? Insignificance? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
During their drive, the truck driver tells Kilgore about a book he read (which turns out to be by Kilgore) involving a roulette wheel that determines the value of art. How does the plot of this book play into the plot of Breakfast of Champions? Is there a connection? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)