|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kilgore see that caused the traffic jam he was stuck in?
2. Who is wearing mirrored sunglasses in the hotel lounge?
3. What has Rabo just sold to Midland City?
4. Where does Kilgore walk to after leaving the car and wading through the water?
5. What does Kilgore decide after the driver tells him about the bad novel he has read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between Dwayne's house and the stream of pollution that Kilgore wades through?
2. What causes Kilgore to get out of the car and start walking toward Midland City and his fateful meeting with Dwayne?
3. What does The Narrator make note of in Chapter 17 about his and Bunny's mothers?
4. What does The Narrator say about himself, Kilgore and Dwayne once they are all in the hotel lounge?
5. What do Kilgore and the driver drive by in West Virginia and who was it founded by?
6. In Chapter 20, what does the desk clerk at the hotel say to Kilgore about his work?
7. Why does the sight of The Narrator in the hotel Lobby make Kilgore nervous?
8. Why does Bunny not fight back when his father, Dwayne, assaults him in the hotel lounge?
9. Why is Harry devastated at the beginning of Chapter 13?
10. What does The Narrator state is the spiritual climax of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Wayne looking at the people in the hotel lounge through the kitchen's peephole in Chapter 19 similar to exactly what the reader is doing with Breakfast of Champions? What are the events Wayne is watching? What is their significance? Insignificance? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Who is The Narrator in Breakfast of Champions? The unnamed narrator claims to be a real person, but defies conventional literature and even physics at numerous points throughout the plot. What is his role within the novel? Using specific examples from the text, write a thesis explaining who you think The Narrator is within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
There are amateurish illustrations at the beginning of the novel. Kilgore has written numerous works of fiction, but they are published as filler material in pornographic magazines. What is parallel between the accompanying illustrations to Breakfast of Champions' text and the images Kilgore's stories accompany in the pornographic magazines. Is there a parallel, or is it as insignificant as much of the details involved in the novel? Provide specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)