|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kilgore see while in the bathroom stall?
2. What happens to Kilgore after he leaves the bathroom in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Kilgore decide to go to the event in Midland City that he is invited to?
4. Why does Dwayne ignore Harry after Harry approaches him at the car dealership?
5. What is going on at the car dealership the day Wayne accosts Dwayne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the events given in the quick presentation of the novel?
2. What does Dwayne do in Chapter 4 that alludes to his increasing mental instability?
3. Why is Kilgore reluctant at first to accept the invitation to speak at the arts festival?
4. In Chapter 10, why does Kilgore have to sit on the floor of the truck he rides in?
5. What does Kilgore think about mirrors? What does he think they are?
6. Who asks Kilgore to be a keynote speaker and why?
7. What significance did Kilgore's comment in the police station end up having on the residents of NY?
8. in Chapter 12, what does the driver recognize as a difference between himself and Kilgore?
9. What is the reason for The Narrator saying his name is Philboyd Studge?
10. What is the irony of Kilgore browsing in the pornography shop in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is The Narrator in Breakfast of Champions? The unnamed narrator claims to be a real person, but defies conventional literature and even physics at numerous points throughout the plot. What is his role within the novel? Using specific examples from the text, write a thesis explaining who you think The Narrator is within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
George (Bunny) Hoover and Leo Trout are the sons of the novel's two main protagonists, but minor characters themselves. Using what information is provided on these two sons, write an explanation of how these characters further develop the characters of Dwayne and Kilgore. Do the sons foil one another? Are they alike? How do their characters influence Kilgore and Dwayne? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are amateurish illustrations at the beginning of the novel. Kilgore has written numerous works of fiction, but they are published as filler material in pornographic magazines. What is parallel between the accompanying illustrations to Breakfast of Champions' text and the images Kilgore's stories accompany in the pornographic magazines. Is there a parallel, or is it as insignificant as much of the details involved in the novel? Provide specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)