|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kilgore and the driver arrive at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. What is one of the things Kilgore and the driver talk about as they travel through the city?
3. What does Kilgore believe about mirrors?
4. Why does Kilgore decide to go to the event in Midland City that he is invited to?
5. What does Dwayne Hoover do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the majority of Kilgore's writings in pornographic magazines?
2. Why does Dwayne think he is hallucinating Wayne when he first meets him?
3. What do the illustrations in Chapter 1 do for the tone of the chapter?
4. Who are the two principle characters of the novel and how are they presented in Chapter 1?
5. What is one of the boring topics that Kilgore and the driver talk about when they go through Philadelphia?
6. What does the scene between Dwayne and his pet dog, Sparky, infer about Dwayne's character?
7. Who asks Kilgore to be a keynote speaker and why?
8. What significance did Kilgore's comment in the police station end up having on the residents of NY?
9. Who is Cyprian Ukwende and why is he staying at the Midland City Holiday Inn?
10. What is the reason for The Narrator saying his name is Philboyd Studge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Breakfast of Champions in literary terms. How does is transcend conventional drama in genre, plot construction, character development, and even narration? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, numerous coincidences are mentioned linking characters, places and events. Describe several of these coincidences and argue whether they are significant to the narrative, or trivial. How do they affect the narrative? How do they affect characters? Do they not affect anything at all? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The two main protagonists of Breakfast of Champions, Kilgore Trout and Dwayne Hoover, have had tumultuous relationships throughout their lives beginning in childhood and moving on into their adulthood. Assess the two characters, based on their relationships with others, and conclude whether they are, in fact, similar to one another or foils.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)