|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what is Kilgore's contrary position to the driver's conversation?
2. What happens to Dwayne when he leaves the hotel?
3. What does The Narrator foreshadow about Dwayne and Kilgore?
4. What is the name of Kilgore's pet?
5. Where can Kilgore's manuscripts typically be found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for The Narrator saying his name is Philboyd Studge?
2. Why does Dwayne have to stand in line at his own hotel?
3. What is one of the boring topics that Kilgore and the driver talk about when they go through Philadelphia?
4. What is Kilgore's novel, Plague On Wheels, about?
5. How did Celia, Dwayne's wife, kill herself?
6. Who are the two principle characters of the novel and how are they presented in Chapter 1?
7. What is Kilgore's reason for accepting the invitation to speak at the arts festival?
8. How does The Narrator's childhood fear of diseases play into the novel?
9. How is the Preface in Breakfast of Champions presented in terms of genre?
10. What is Kilgore's counter argument to the driver's stance on the need for conservation of natural resources?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After seeing a message scrawled on the wall of the bathroom in the pornography theatre, Kilgore ponders the question at length. Discuss this scene with a clear thesis explaining why Kilgore devotes such attention to the question and how it affects him.
Essay Topic 2
The overall genre of Breakfast of Champions is fiction; however the Prologue and Epilogue are written to be viewed as nonfiction with general facts about the world. Write a well crafted argument for how the Prologue and Epilogue affect the rest of the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
How is Wayne looking at the people in the hotel lounge through the kitchen's peephole in Chapter 19 similar to exactly what the reader is doing with Breakfast of Champions? What are the events Wayne is watching? What is their significance? Insignificance? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)