|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of shooting himself, what does Dwayne do in an effort to end his life?
2. Where do Kilgore and the person he hitchhiked a ride with drive through first after Kilgore gets in?
3. What is Cyprian's vocation?
4. What does Kilgore believe about mirrors?
5. What event is Kilgore invited to attend in Midland City?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, why does Kilgore have to sit on the floor of the truck he rides in?
2. Who are the two principle characters of the novel and how are they presented in Chapter 1?
3. Who asks Kilgore to be a keynote speaker and why?
4. What does the scene between Dwayne and his pet dog, Sparky, infer about Dwayne's character?
5. After pondering the question on the bathroom wall, what is Kilgore lead to think about?
6. What is Kilgore's reason for accepting the invitation to speak at the arts festival?
7. What does the message written on the bathroom wall in the pornography theater say and what is Kilgore's response to it?
8. What are the events given in the quick presentation of the novel?
9. What is the plot of the science fiction novel Kilgore comes up with while watching films at the pornography theatre?
10. What significance did Kilgore's comment in the police station end up having on the residents of NY?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Breakfast of Champions in literary terms. How does is transcend conventional drama in genre, plot construction, character development, and even narration? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
After Dwayne's fateful reading of Kilgore's Now It Can Be Told, he accosts numerous people in a violent rampage. Relate what is known about the plot of Kilgore's novel and how it affects Dwayne who is in a critical mental state. Assess the plot of Kilgore's novel and how Dwayne interprets it in order to explain why Dwayne embarks on his rampage after reading it.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Kilgore's accepting to speak at the arts festival, despite a desire to remain anonymous in his writing? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)