|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kilgore imagine about himself after reading what was written on the bathroom wall?
2. What is the name of the house servant that Dwayne employs?
3. Who is Dwayne's number one salesman?
4. Where does Kilgore wake up after walking the street in Chapter 8?
5. What does Dwayne believe about everyone else after reading Kilgore's novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the relationships between the pets and Kilgore and Dwayne different?
2. What does the scene between Dwayne and his pet dog, Sparky, infer about Dwayne's character?
3. What does Kilgore think about mirrors? What does he think they are?
4. After pondering the question on the bathroom wall, what is Kilgore lead to think about?
5. What are the events given in the quick presentation of the novel?
6. What is Kilgore's counter argument to the driver's stance on the need for conservation of natural resources?
7. Who are the two principle characters of the novel and how are they presented in Chapter 1?
8. Who sends Kilgore a fan letter and what is the book that the fan praises?
9. Who is Cyprian Ukwende and why is he staying at the Midland City Holiday Inn?
10. What is the reason for The Narrator saying his name is Philboyd Studge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After seeing a message scrawled on the wall of the bathroom in the pornography theatre, Kilgore ponders the question at length. Discuss this scene with a clear thesis explaining why Kilgore devotes such attention to the question and how it affects him.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Kilgore comes up with ideas for stories and the reader learns what Now It Can Be Told is about. How do Kilgore's literary ideas and works reflect on his character? Does the reader gain valuable insight on who Kilgore is through his stories? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How is Wayne looking at the people in the hotel lounge through the kitchen's peephole in Chapter 19 similar to exactly what the reader is doing with Breakfast of Champions? What are the events Wayne is watching? What is their significance? Insignificance? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)