|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dwayne believe about himself after reading Kilgore's novel?
2. Who is undergoing a mental collapse at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Dwayne demand from Kilgore when he first meets him?
4. What was The Narrator aware of and disturbed by as a young adolescent?
5. What does Kilgore's novel tell the story of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dwayne think he is hallucinating Wayne when he first meets him?
2. Who are the two principle characters of the novel and how are they presented in Chapter 1?
3. In Now It Can Be Told, what is the main difference between the creator of the universe and the reader?
4. What is the difference between Dwayne's personal life and business life?
5. What happens to Kilgore after he notices that a car is following him as he walks down 42nd Street?
6. What is the book the driver describes having read that Kilgore realizes is one of his own novels about?
7. What are the events given in the quick presentation of the novel?
8. Why is Harry devastated at the beginning of Chapter 13?
9. What does Dwayne do when he fails to punch Wayne outside of the hotel?
10. How did Celia, Dwayne's wife, kill herself?
Essay Topic 1
During their drive, the truck driver tells Kilgore about a book he read (which turns out to be by Kilgore) involving a roulette wheel that determines the value of art. How does the plot of this book play into the plot of Breakfast of Champions? Is there a connection? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Who is The Narrator in Breakfast of Champions? The unnamed narrator claims to be a real person, but defies conventional literature and even physics at numerous points throughout the plot. What is his role within the novel? Using specific examples from the text, write a thesis explaining who you think The Narrator is within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How could the Sacred Miracle Cave that Kyle and Lyle Hoover run be a metaphor for Breakfast of Champions? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)