|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the book that Kilgore skims through during the drive about?
(a) The meaning of life from different religious viewpoints.
(b) How people in the future continually try to regain the past.
(c) A letter from the creator of the universe to the reader.
(d) What is going to happen ten years from now.
2. What is Kilgore devastated about after being recognized at the hotel?
(a) No one else has recognized him.
(b) He does not want to be a writer anymore.
(c) He is recognized for the wrong thing.
(d) He is not anonymous.
3. What does Kilgore decide after the driver tells him about the bad novel he has read?
(a) To make more copies of the book to sell.
(b) To change his name.
(c) To tell the man he wrote the book.
(d) To remain anonymous.
4. What do the driver and Kilgore talk about as they travel through the mining town?
(a) Local practice of snake handling.
(b) The destruction the coal mines are causing.
(c) The advancements their generation has made.
(d) How competitive the coal mining industry is.
5. Who does Dwayne beat when he reaches the car dealership?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the 17-year-old waitress see Dwayne as?
2. Who founded the coal mining in the place Kilgore drives through?
3. What does Wayne do after watching the patrons through the peephole?
4. In the epilogue, what is Kilgore looking for as he wanders around the local hospital?
5. What did Bunny tell Dwayne when he was ten years-old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does The Narrator make note of in Chapter 17 about his and Bunny's mothers?
2. What does The Narrator say about himself, Kilgore and Dwayne once they are all in the hotel lounge?
3. Why does Patty Keene flirt with Dwayne while she serves him hamburgers?
4. What does Dwayne do to Francine on his violent rampage?
5. In Chapter 20, what does the desk clerk at the hotel say to Kilgore about his work?
6. Why does the sight of The Narrator in the hotel Lobby make Kilgore nervous?
7. How are Wayne and the reader similar to one another in Chapter 19?
8. What does The Narrator convince Kilgore of at the end of the novel?
9. What does The Narrator state is the spiritual climax of the novel?
10. What do Kilgore and the driver drive by in West Virginia and who was it founded by?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)