|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dwayne do in the lobby after assaulting Bunny and before going outside?
(a) Turns over the tables.
(b) Smashes plates against the walls.
(c) Kills the desk clerk.
(d) Assaults other patrons.
2. What error does The Narrator note about Kilgore that he should change, but will not because it would be too complicated?
(a) Celia's suicide.
(b) Francine's character.
(c) The trip and its timeline.
(d) Bunny playing the piano.
3. What is the bad novel the driver tells Kilgore about?
(a) An artist that imagines painting, but does not paint.
(b) An art movement that focuses on the mundane.
(c) An artist that cuts off his ear and loses his artistic talent.
(d) A roulette that determines good art.
4. How does The Narrator celebrate his birthday at the end of the novel?
(a) By celebrating with the characters.
(b) By writing a new novel.
(c) By freeing all of his characters.
(d) By burning the novel.
5. After reading Kilgore's book, what does Dwayne believe about everyone else?
(a) They are pre-programmed.
(b) They are part of the higher power.
(c) They need to know about the book.
(d) They are freethinkers as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does The Narrator state is the surprising spiritual climax of the novel?
2. What does the person who recognizes Kilgore at the hotel claim he has returned from?
3. What does the 17-year-old waitress see Dwayne as?
4. What happens to Dwayne once the police arrive at the scene of the beating?
5. What did Bunny tell Dwayne when he was ten years-old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does The Narrator place himself in the hotel lounge scene?
2. What is the connection between Dwayne's house and the stream of pollution that Kilgore wades through?
3. What does Grace, Harry's wife, tell Harry he should do regarding his job at Dwayne's dealership?
4. What is it that The Narrator claims has been stalking him throughout the book?
5. What does The Narrator say about himself, Kilgore and Dwayne once they are all in the hotel lounge?
6. Why does Patty Keene flirt with Dwayne while she serves him hamburgers?
7. What do Kilgore and the driver drive by in West Virginia and who was it founded by?
8. In Chapter 20, what does the desk clerk at the hotel say to Kilgore about his work?
9. What does The Narrator make note of in Chapter 17 about his and Bunny's mothers?
10. What is the parallel between Dwayne's irrelevant phrases and the narrative?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)