|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Dwayne respond to what Bunny said at ten years-old?
(a) He sent him to a psychiatrist.
(b) He grounded him.
(c) He sent him to live with relatives.
(d) He sent him to military school.
2. What drove everyone out of the Sacred Miracle Cave?
(a) The stink of the bubbles bursting.
(b) The animal droppings.
(c) The acidic waste.
(d) The bats that fly around the cave.
3. What is the book that Kilgore skims through during the drive about?
(a) A letter from the creator of the universe to the reader.
(b) How people in the future continually try to regain the past.
(c) What is going to happen ten years from now.
(d) The meaning of life from different religious viewpoints.
4. Who is the 17-year-old waitress that serves Dwayne his hamburger?
(a) His niece.
(b) Phoebe Hurty.
(c) Francine Pefko.
(d) Patty Keene.
5. Where does Kilgore see the coal mining landscape?
(a) New Jersey.
(b) West Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does The Narrator state is the surprising spiritual climax of the novel?
2. What does The Narrator claim to be unaware of in the Epilogue?
3. What does Dwayne think about himself after reading Kilgore's book?
4. What does Kilgore discover as the driver describes the bad novel?
5. In the epilogue, what is Kilgore looking for as he wanders around the local hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Kilgore to get out of the car and start walking toward Midland City and his fateful meeting with Dwayne?
2. What is the connection between Dwayne's house and the stream of pollution that Kilgore wades through?
3. When Kilgore and Dwayne finally meet as foretold in Chapter 1, what is the cause of their meeting?
4. What is the conflict that Dwayne might have with his twin brothers, Lyle and Kyle?
5. What is the book, Now It Can Be Told, that Kilgore reads in the car about?
6. Why is Harry devastated at the beginning of Chapter 13?
7. What does Dwayne do to Francine on his violent rampage?
8. What is the book the driver describes having read that Kilgore realizes is one of his own novels about?
9. Why does the sight of The Narrator in the hotel Lobby make Kilgore nervous?
10. Why does Bunny not fight back when his father, Dwayne, assaults him in the hotel lounge?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)