|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rabo tell the people surrounding him at the piano to make them adore him?
(a) An explanation of his art.
(b) A story about his first audition.
(c) How much he practices.
(d) That he is self-taught.
2. In chapter 21, who surrounds Rabo at the piano in the hotel lounge?
(c) A string quartet.
(d) His family and friends.
3. What does The Narrator convince Kilgore of when he meets him face to face?
(a) That he is a fictional character.
(b) That he is not a good writer.
(c) That he is a freethinker.
(d) That he will die soon.
4. Where does Kilgore walk to after leaving the car and wading through the water?
(a) The hotel lounge.
(c) The arts festival.
(d) The burger restaurant.
5. What does Kilgore wade through at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) The Hudson River.
(b) The Midland City River.
(c) Someone's backyard pool.
(d) A polluted stream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kilgore do when he leaves the hospital?
2. In the epilogue, what is Kilgore looking for as he wanders around the local hospital?
3. What is the bad novel the driver tells Kilgore about?
4. What does the person who recognizes Kilgore at the hotel claim he has returned from?
5. After The Narrator decides to do something new with the novel, how does he accomplish this objective?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grace, Harry's wife, tell Harry he should do regarding his job at Dwayne's dealership?
2. Why did Dwayne send his son, Bunny, to a military school?
3. What is the book, Now It Can Be Told, that Kilgore reads in the car about?
4. What causes Kilgore to get out of the car and start walking toward Midland City and his fateful meeting with Dwayne?
5. What is the connection between Dwayne's house and the stream of pollution that Kilgore wades through?
6. What does The Narrator state is the spiritual climax of the novel?
7. What is one of the events in the novel that The Narrator believes he could have done differently?
8. What do Kilgore and the driver drive by in West Virginia and who was it founded by?
9. What is the conflict that Dwayne might have with his twin brothers, Lyle and Kyle?
10. Why is Harry devastated at the beginning of Chapter 13?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)