|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens the narrator on the night he first sees Holly Golightly?
2. What is O.J. Berman's occupation?
3. What or who does the narrator expect the first time he hears his bell in the middle of the night?
4. What is there a big bowl of at Joe's bar?
5. From which musical does Holly enjoy singing songs from the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on this first section, how might Holly Golightly have gotten her name?
2. Describe Holly Golightly based on the narrator's description.
3. Why does Holly climb through the narrator's window?
4. Why is Mag hesitant to marry Jose?
5. How does Joe feel about Holly?
6. Describe Holly's apartment.
7. Describe Sid Arbuck.
8. Why is Mr. Arbuck angry at Holly when he takes her home?
9. What did Holly do to O.J.Berman in the past to make him angry?
10. How does Holly describe her childhood to the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of Christmas in the novella "Breakfast at Tiffany's". What important events occur on or around Christmas? Why would Capote choose to have these events fall on Christmas?
Essay Topic 2
The novella "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is written in the first-person perspective from the point of view of the narrator. Discuss how this might affect the story. Why might Capote have chosen not to tell the story from Holly's point of view? Is the narrator biased in any way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Capote's use of names to describe the personalities of the characters. What effect does this have on the story? Why does Capote choose to leave the narrator nameless?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)