|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reb start wearing on a normal basis in Chapter 29?
2. Where does Sara move to after she graduates from college?
3. How does Sara feel after her first night out with Max Goldstein?
4. Who does Sara go to her freshman class dance with?
5. How do the girls at Sara's work treat her after she wears make up to work for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sara burn a shirt while ironing in Chapter 11?
2. Describe Mrs. Feinstein.
3. Why does Sara not fit in with the rest of the girls on her first day of college gym class?
4. Why do the girls at Sara's laundry job treat her cruelly?
5. How does being around Max Goldstein change Sara?
6. Why does Sara see her graduation day from college as being bittersweet?
7. Why does Reb choose to marry Mrs. Feinstein?
8. How does Sara feel about her surroundings when she first goes to college?
9. How did Max Goldstein come into the business of running a department store?
10. Describe the apartment Sara moves into after college.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters in Bread Givers are often dedicated to one sole task or purpose throughout the story. Write an essay explaining why certain characters in Bread Givers are dedicated to one element or another. How are these characters made distinctive and unique because of their desires in life? In what way or ways is their steadfast dedication used against them in certain circumstances? How is it used to their advantage at times? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
A good education is something that is valued very little by the characters in Bread Givers. Of the Smolinsky siblings, only Fania and Sara go to night school. Sara is the only one to ever graduate college. Write an essay explaining why education is not highly valued by characters in Bread Givers. How does gender play into the fact that education is not prioritized for women? Why is money of greater value than knowledge in the story? What types of skills are viewed as being more valuable than a good education? Why? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Sara struggles for acceptance by those around her all throughout the story. Her family does not understand her ambitions and neither do some of her peers at work and school. Write an essay explaining the efforts Sara makes to gain acceptance from those around her. What are some of the things she tries to do to blend in with those around her? What events does she attend in an attempt to feel akin to those around her? Be sure the provide examples to support your writing.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)