|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Zalmon pay Reb for Bessie's hand in marriage?
2. How many hours does Sara work to be able to support herself and go to night school?
3. What season does Reb say it is always in America?
4. Why does Sara first feel distressed when she tries to study at her new apartment?
5. For what occupation does Sara decide to go to school to study?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Reb so angry with Sara at the end of Chapter 8?
2. What steps do Shenah and Sara take to restock the store that Reb bought?
3. What are in the three packages Bessie brings home after work to dress up the house with?
4. Why does Sara vow to marry an American-born man?
5. What does Reb find in the store after he, Sara, and Shenah have gotten the chance to go through the stock?
6. What does Sara's first apartment look like?
7. Why does Father get arrested and sent to court?
8. What inspires Sara to become a teacher in Chapter 10?
9. How do customers react when they are turned away by the Smolinksy family due to lack of stock in the store?
10. Why does Moe Mirsky continuously exchange Mashah's diamonds for different ones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sara struggles for acceptance by those around her all throughout the story. Her family does not understand her ambitions and neither do some of her peers at work and school. Write an essay explaining the efforts Sara makes to gain acceptance from those around her. What are some of the things she tries to do to blend in with those around her? What events does she attend in an attempt to feel akin to those around her? Be sure the provide examples to support your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Sara experiences feelings of anger very often throughout the story. Often, her anger works against her. It inhibits her to think and act maturely in certain situations. Write an essay exploring the feelings of anger Sara experiences throughout Bread Givers and how she deals with it. What are some of the things that make Sara angry? What subject in college helps her understand and manipulate her anger? How does she learn to deal with it? Use examples from the book to support your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Happiness the something rarely experienced by the characters in Bread Givers. Often times, the world is harsh and there is little cause for celebration. Write an essay exploring the reasons behind the lack of happiness and satisfaction in the character's lives. What are the most major reasons for a lack of happiness in Sara's life? What about Reb and Shenah's life? What about the marriages Bessie, Fania, and Mashah have make them unhappy? Why? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)