|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sara take the pail and go outside to dig through the neighbor's ashes?
(a) To find bits of food.
(b) To find coal.
(c) To find a lost ring.
(d) To find something to sell.
2. What is the name of Zalmon's youngest child that Bessie rocks to sleep?
3. Why does Reb not want his eldest daughter to marry Berel?
(a) Because God told him not to marry Bessie off.
(b) Because Mashah would make a better wife.
(c) Because Bessie earns more money than his other daughters.
(d) Because he thinks Berel is not good enough for her.
4. How does Shenah react when she realizes that her husband has been swindled by buying the store?
5. Why does Sara first feel distressed when she tries to study at her new apartment?
(a) The apartment windows are too dark.
(b) The apartment neighbors are too noisy.
(c) The apartment is too stuffy.
(d) The apartment is too cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Zalmon?
2. What sort of woman does Zalmon want to marry?
3. How old is Sara at the beginning of the story?
4. How old is Zalmon?
5. What job does Sara have to support herself while she goes to night school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Reb so angry with Sara at the end of Chapter 8?
2. Why does Zalmon wish to remarry so soon after his wife's death?
3. Why does Sara have trouble finding an apartment after running away from home?
4. Why does Reb not like the grocery business?
5. Why does Father say that the prayers of his daughters go unheard by God?
6. How does Mashah's behavior change when she falls in love with her young man?
7. Why does Sara vow to marry an American-born man?
8. What inspires Sara to become a teacher in Chapter 10?
9. What happens to Sara when she cleans her apartment in Chapter 10?
10. Why does Sara insist that she wants to work?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)