|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sara find Morris Lipkin's old poems?
(a) Under the rug.
(b) Under her mattress.
(c) In the cupboard.
(d) Behind the book shelf.
2. How much money does Zalmon pay Reb for Bessie's hand in marriage?
(a) Two hundred dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) Three hundred dollars.
(d) Fifty dollars.
3. What job does Sara have to support herself while she goes to night school?
(a) She works as a baker's apprentice.
(b) She works as an ironer.
(c) She works as a street sweeper.
(d) She works as a waitress.
4. How many nights a week does Sara go to night school?
5. How much money does Reb spend on the business he buys?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Four hundred dollars.
(d) Seventy five dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shenah react when she realizes that her husband has been swindled by buying the store?
2. Who is Zalmon?
3. Why does Berel Bernstein not want Bessie's dowry?
4. What color is the dress Bessie puts on for her visitor?
5. Who does Berel Bernstein end up getting engaged to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bessie's personality change after she marries Zalmon the fish peddler?
2. Why does Sara have trouble finding an apartment after running away from home?
3. What inspires Sara to become a teacher in Chapter 10?
4. How does Mashah's behavior change when she falls in love with her young man?
5. What does Sara's first apartment look like?
6. Why does Father get arrested and sent to court?
7. What does Reb find in the store after he, Sara, and Shenah have gotten the chance to go through the stock?
8. Who is Muhmenkeh?
9. What happens when Morris shows up to try to talk to Reb about his feelings for Fania?
10. What happens to Sara when she cleans her apartment in Chapter 10?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)