|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mashah poor despite being married to Moe?
(a) Because she spends all of their money.
(b) Because she spends all of her money on children.
(c) Because Moe has no job.
(d) Because Moe spends all of his money on clothing.
2. How much money does Berel Bernstein earn a week?
(a) Six dollars.
(b) Eighteen dollars.
(c) Twelve dollars.
(d) Four dollars.
3. Who is Bessie?
(a) Sara's cousin.
(b) Sara's eldest sister.
(c) Sara's best friend.
(d) Sara's teacer.
4. Why does Berel Bernstein not want Bessie's dowry?
(a) Because Reb offers things Berel does not need.
(b) Because Berel does not need money.
(c) Because she does not have one.
(d) Because the dowry is too small.
5. What treasured item does Sara's mother save for days when the family has visitors?
(a) A jar of jelly.
(b) A load of bread.
(c) A jar of pickles.
(d) A few dried herring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Zaretzky?
2. What sort of woman does Zalmon want to marry?
3. How does Moe treat Mashah while Sara is visiting them?
4. How much money did Zalmon get from the lodges for his wife's death?
5. Why does Shenah have to turn away so many customers from the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sara insist that she wants to work?
2. Who is Muhmenkeh?
3. What does Sara's first apartment look like?
4. What are in the three packages Bessie brings home after work to dress up the house with?
5. What does Reb find in the store after he, Sara, and Shenah have gotten the chance to go through the stock?
6. How does Reb react when he finds out how Morris Lipkin makes his living?
7. What happens when Morris shows up to try to talk to Reb about his feelings for Fania?
8. Why is Mother fretting over money at the beginning of the story?
9. For what reason does the man in the paper sell Reb his store for only four hundred dollars?
10. Why does Moe Mirsky continuously exchange Mashah's diamonds for different ones?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)