|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Reb spend on the business he buys?
(a) Four hundred dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Three hundred dollars.
(d) Seventy five dollars.
2. Sara's father's most prized possession is what?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) The Kojiki.
(c) The Torah.
(d) The Bible.
3. How does Shenah react when she realizes that her husband has been swindled by buying the store?
4. What happens when Sara cleans the window in her her dingy apartment and sticks her head outside?
(a) She is yelled at by her land lady.
(b) A family stops by and begs for money.
(c) The neighbors drop potato peels on her.
(d) A bird lands on her head.
5. Who gives Sara money as she leaves home to go off on her own?
6. Who does Berel Bernstein end up getting engaged to?
(a) The waitress.
(b) The forelady.
(c) The collector lady.
(d) The widow.
7. Why does Sara's mother become angry when she sees what Sara has done to the potatoes?
(a) Because Sara skinned the potatoes.
(b) Because Sara dropped the potatoes.
(c) Because Sara did not wash the potatoes.
(d) Because Sara did not bake the potatoes properly.
8. How much does Sara pay for her small room with a door?
(a) Five dollars a month.
(b) Six dollars a month.
(c) Four dollars a month.
(d) Three dollars a month.
9. What does Sara take with her when she runs away from home?
(a) A wooden chest.
(b) A single bundle.
(c) A small knapsack.
(d) A large suitcase.
10. What is the name of Zalmon's youngest child that Bessie rocks to sleep?
11. How many hours does Sara work to be able to support herself and go to night school?
12. How did Mother react when she found out that Mashah bought her own towel, toothbrush, and soap?
13. What insult does Mother and Father call Mashah?
(a) Forgetful witch.
14. How many nights a week does Sara go to night school?
15. What sort of woman does Zalmon want to marry?
(a) A middle aged woman.
(b) An old woman.
(c) He does not wish to remarry.
(d) A young woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sara storm out of Mashah and Moe's home in Chapter 9?
2. How much money did Zalmon get from the lodges for his wife's death?
3. About how many people are in Sara's night school classes?
4. Why is Bessie the last of the older sister siblings to find a man?
5. Why does Sara first feel distressed when she tries to study at her new apartment?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)