|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Mashah spend at the store buying her own towel, toothbrush, and soap?
(a) Fifty cents.
(b) Twenty cents.
(c) Thirty cents.
(d) Eighty cents.
2. What season does Reb say it is always in America?
3. What is the name of the place Sara goes to for cheap meals in a nice environment?
(a) Broadway Boogie Bakery.
(b) Grand Street Cafeteria.
(c) Times Square Luncheon.
(d) Empire State Eatery.
4. What is inside most of the boxes in the store Reb buys?
(a) Shredded wood.
5. Who does Mashah's first true love get his money from?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
6. How many children does Zalmon have?
7. How many hours a night does Sara dedicate to her night school studies?
8. What insult does Mother and Father call Mashah?
(b) Forgetful witch.
9. How does Morris react when Sara says that she loves him?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He cheers and hugs her.
(c) He cries and thinks of Fania.
(d) He laughs at her.
10. What item does the young college man come in asking for that Reb discourages him from buying?
(d) Shoe polish.
11. Why is Mashah poor despite being married to Moe?
(a) Because she spends all of their money.
(b) Because Moe spends all of his money on clothing.
(c) Because she spends all of her money on children.
(d) Because Moe has no job.
12. How much money does Zalmon pay Reb for Bessie's hand in marriage?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) Three hundred dollars.
13. Why did the family leave most of their valuable tools behind when they moved to America?
(a) Because father wanted his books brought instead.
(b) Because Sara wanted to bring her stuffed animals instead.
(c) Because mother wanted her preserves brought instead.
(d) Because Fania wanted to bring extra clothes instead.
14. Who does Sara go to see first after running away from home?
15. Who does Fania go to night school with?
(a) Her young man.
(b) Her cousin, Nilly.
(c) Her neighbor.
(d) Her girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Sara money as she leaves home to go off on her own?
2. Where does Sara find Morris Lipkin's old poems?
3. Why does Shenah have to turn away so many customers from the store?
4. Who does Morris Lipkin dedicate his collection of poems to?
5. What is Mr. Moe Mirsky's claimed occupation?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)