|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Reb treat Bessie's guest while they are visiting?
2. Who does Sara see Mashah bargaining with when she arrives at her home to visit?
(a) The paper boy.
(b) The egg man.
(c) The milk man.
(d) The land lord.
3. How many hours a night does Sara dedicate to her night school studies?
4. Which clothing item does Mother want to buy for Sara with her wages?
(a) A soft hat.
(b) A blue dress.
(c) A pair of gloves.
(d) A winter coat.
5. What is the name of Sara's older sister who only concerns herself with fashion and beauty?
6. Who does Morris Lipkin dedicate his collection of poems to?
7. What treasured item does Sara's mother save for days when the family has visitors?
(a) A few dried herring.
(b) A load of bread.
(c) A jar of jelly.
(d) A jar of pickles.
8. Who is Zalmon?
(a) The cobbler.
(b) The butcher.
(c) The fish-peddler.
(d) The teacher.
9. How much money does Zalmon pay Reb for Bessie's hand in marriage?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) Two hundred dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
10. About how many people are in Sara's night school classes?
11. Why is Mashah poor despite being married to Moe?
(a) Because she spends all of her money on children.
(b) Because she spends all of their money.
(c) Because Moe has no job.
(d) Because Moe spends all of his money on clothing.
12. How many hours does Sara work to be able to support herself and go to night school?
13. Why does the relationship between Mashah and her first love fall apart?
(a) Mashah's family is too poor for her love's father to approve.
(b) Mashah's family does not accept that her love is true.
(c) Mashah's family is skeptical of her love's true intentions.
(d) Mashah's family is too rich for her love's father to approve.
14. How much does Sara make when she first begins her job in Chapter 10?
(a) Five dollars a week.
(b) Ten dollars a week.
(c) Twenty dollars a week.
(d) Fifteen dollars a week.
15. How many herring does Sara sell the first time she goes out peddling?
(b) Twenty five.
(c) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bessie shine up the house one night after everyone but Sara leaves?
2. Who is Zaretzky?
3. What insult does Mother call Sara when she sees what has been done to the potatoes?
4. Who does Abe Schmukler marry?
5. What does Sara do when she finds out about the engagement?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)