|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Berel Bernstein end up getting engaged to?
(a) The forelady.
(b) The collector lady.
(c) The waitress.
(d) The widow.
2. Why does the relationship between Mashah and her first love fall apart?
(a) Mashah's family is skeptical of her love's true intentions.
(b) Mashah's family is too rich for her love's father to approve.
(c) Mashah's family does not accept that her love is true.
(d) Mashah's family is too poor for her love's father to approve.
3. Who does Morris Lipkin dedicate his collection of poems to?
4. What item does the young college man come in asking for that Reb discourages him from buying?
(c) Shoe polish.
5. How much is the bag of rice the young girl tries to purchase in Chapter 8?
(a) Five cents.
(b) Two cents.
(c) Twelve cents.
(d) Ten cents.
6. How many children does Mashah have?
7. Sara's father's most prized possession is what?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) The Torah.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Kojiki.
8. Which clothing item does Mother want to buy for Sara with her wages?
(a) A winter coat.
(b) A soft hat.
(c) A pair of gloves.
(d) A blue dress.
9. How does Reb treat Bessie's guest while they are visiting?
10. Why is Bessie the last of the older sister siblings to find a man?
(a) Because she is too picky.
(b) Because she is always out late with her friends.
(c) Because she is not as pretty.
(d) Because she is the "burden bearer" of the house.
11. How does Moe treat Mashah while Sara is visiting them?
12. How much does Mashah spend at the store buying her own towel, toothbrush, and soap?
(a) Twenty cents.
(b) Eighty cents.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) Thirty cents.
13. What sort of woman does Zalmon want to marry?
(a) He does not wish to remarry.
(b) A young woman.
(c) A middle aged woman.
(d) An old woman.
14. How much money did Zalmon get from the lodges for his wife's death?
(a) One thousand dollars.
(b) Five thousand dollars.
(c) Two thousand dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
15. How much does Sara make when she first begins her job in Chapter 10?
(a) Five dollars a week.
(b) Twenty dollars a week.
(c) Ten dollars a week.
(d) Fifteen dollars a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sara see Mashah bargaining with when she arrives at her home to visit?
2. How many children does Zalmon have?
3. What fraction of the children's wages does Reb give to charity?
4. How old is Sara in Chapter 8?
5. Who slaps Sara at the end of Chapter 8?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)