Chapters I and II
• Sara is ten years old.
• Sara has three older sisters: Bessie, Mashah, and Fania.
• Mashah spends money on frivolous items she does not need.
• Mother criticizes Sara for wasting the potato peels.
• Shenah convinces Reb to move his books so they can rent out his room.
• The collector lady appears to collect the rent from the family. Reb slaps her.
• Sara gets herring from Muhmenkeh to sell for a profit.
• Citizens in the neighborhood collect enough money to hire a lawyer for Reb.
• Reb's case is dismissed in court.
• Three men take up space in the house as boarders.
• Shenah recalls how she met and married Reb.
Chapters III and IV
• Shenah worries that she may never find a husband for Bessie.
• Bessie brings home new items to brighten up the house.
• Bessie tries to fit into Mashah's dress and rips it.
• Berel Bernstein...
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)