|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Hope receive before she can leave the area?
2. At the end of the story, what does Hope give up trying to find?
3. What did Usman complain about often?
4. Why does John think he's cured?
5. Who does not believe the presumed cause of Usman's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hope learn from the Norwegian consulate?
2. Describe Ian and Hope's escape from their captors.
3. What leads Hope to believe that Almicar and his soldiers are the only remaining members of the UNAMO force?
4. What is Hope's relationship with Mallabar at the end of the novel?
5. Explain in detail the chimp attack that Mallabar witnesses.
6. How does Hope learn of a night-time chimpanzee fight and what does she discover with the information?
7. What chore does Almicar ask Hope to help him with? What is the purpose of the chore?
8. What explanation was given to Hope about the death of Usman and why does she believe it?
9. What does Hope ask for to end the fighting among the chimps? What becomes of her request?
10. In the end, what lesson does Hope say she's learned about life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss the rising action in "Brazzaville Beach." How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow, taking into consideration that Hope tells two stories simultaneously?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not? What is unique about the author's choice in the case of "Brazzaville Beach"?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)