|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport did the guerrilla soldiers play?
2. What do illnesses, nervous breakdowns and injuries show?
3. Why does Hope make white flags?
4. According to Hope, what are unchanging features in life called?
5. Who writes Hope a note from a psychiatric hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation was given to Hope about the death of Usman and why does she believe it?
2. Describe Ian and Hope's escape from their captors.
3. What discrepancies does Hope learn about Usman's past and how does she learn them?
4. What does Hope learn from the Norwegian consulate?
5. Where does Hope live at the end of the novel? Describe her home.
6. What are some examples of catastrophes that Hope gives in discussing her catastrophe theory? Label each example with the type of catastrophe it represents.
7. What happens when Hope finally gets Eugene to go with her on an observation?
8. What does Hope learn about Eugene and Ian on her way back to Grosso Arvore after her kidnapping?
9. What leads Hope to believe that Almicar and his soldiers are the only remaining members of the UNAMO force?
10. What chore does Almicar ask Hope to help him with? What is the purpose of the chore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Hope to one of the men in Brazzaville Beach. Use 2 -3 examples from the novel to support your comparison of the two characters.
Essay Topic 2
What is an antagonist? Discuss the antagonist of this novel in detail, relating the antagonist specifically to the type of conflict featured in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is a static character? What is a dynamic character? Identify two static characters and two dynamic characters from the story. Explain specifically what about each one makes it either static or dynamic.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)