|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rejects Hope's request to add something to the northern group?
2. Who is found dead after a chimpanzee fight?
3. How do the guerrilla soldiers know their leader?
4. Which hostage-taker goes in search of gasoline?
5. Who, according to information at the end of the book, were the MIG-15 planes stolen from that were used in the civil war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, briefly, is the mathematical set John dreams of creating and where is he while he is tries to develop it?
2. What is Hopes catastrophe theory? She says there are seven types, but only addresses two. Briefly discuss the difference in the two she outlines.
3. What is Hope's relationship with Mallabar at the end of the novel?
4. According to Hope, what are life's three important questions?
5. Where does Hope live at the end of the novel? Describe her home.
6. In the end, what lesson does Hope say she's learned about life?
7. According to Hope, how is life like calculus?
8. Describe Ian and Hope's escape from their captors.
9. What explanation was given to Hope about the death of Usman and why does she believe it?
10. How does Hope's discovery among the chimps show her that she and John are not so different? What is it that they have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in "Brazzaville Beach"? Explain your answers and give an overview of William Boyd's life. Reference secondary materials to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
What are the three questions that Hope says must be answered in life? What were her answers? What were John's answers? Cite the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Ian. Was he a major character or minor one? Support your answer with specific evidence from the story and include definitions of major and minor characters.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)