|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joao?
2. According to Hope, what is "civil time?"
3. Where do researchers eat dinner?
4. To whom does Hope report the discovery she makes after returning from helping another researcher check the pregnant female chimps?
5. When Hope decides to leave the researcher holiday early, with whom does she return to camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hope learn about John in a discussion with Bogden Lewkovitch? What does she not reveal in the discussion?
2. Why does Hope want to leave the researchers' holiday early to return to camp?
3. What disconcerting event happens when Hope and John take a short holiday together?
4. Who is Clovis and what are Hope's feelings about him?
5. Discuss the events of Hope's father's seventieth birthday party.
6. How does John react when Hope confronts him about his behavior at the lake?
7. What are the living arrangements for the researchers at Grosso Arvore? What is included at the camp?
8. Other than funding, what uncontrollable obstacle does Mallabar's research team face? How does the obstacle affect their work?
9. What makes Hope question the validity of Mallabar's explanation for her hut burning down?
10. What is Hauser's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Hope to one of the men in Brazzaville Beach. Use 2 -3 examples from the novel to support your comparison of the two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Ian. Was he a major character or minor one? Support your answer with specific evidence from the story and include definitions of major and minor characters.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)