|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who now owns the hotel where Hope and Usman once met to spend time together?
2. Who tells Hope that her husband went mad?
3. Who is John's lover?
4. After the big news, whose turn is it to make the supply run?
5. How old was Hope's father when she realized he was no longer happy in his marriage to her mom?
Short Essay Questions
1. The trip for supplies is not an easy one. Why does Hope look forward to making the trip?
2. Why, in the beginning of the story, is the research crew so small?
3. How does Ian relate to Mallibar when he disagrees with Vail's theory about the chimps?
4. What does Hope learn about John in a discussion with Bogden Lewkovitch? What does she not reveal in the discussion?
5. How does Hope plan to reconstruct her burned notes?
6. What is Ian's theory about chimp groups? Who does not agree with this theory?
7. How and when does Hope learn of John's infidelity?
8. Describe Hope's first alarming discovery about the chimps.
9. What is the theory that Hope explains to Ian about the war among the chimps?
10. What disconcerting event happens when Hope and John take a short holiday together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character description of Mallabar. Was he a major character or minor one? Support your answer with specific evidence from the story and include definitions of major and minor character.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss the rising action in "Brazzaville Beach." How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow, taking into consideration that Hope tells two stories simultaneously?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)