|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the research leader say about the tossed bundle tested?
2. Who is the strong, mature female who Hope studies?
3. Why is the research team so small?
4. Who tells Hope that her husband went mad?
5. Who maintains the incomplete luxury hotel at which the researchers vacationed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Hope question the validity of Mallabar's explanation for her hut burning down?
2. Other than funding, what uncontrollable obstacle does Mallabar's research team face? How does the obstacle affect their work?
3. Who is Clovis and what are Hope's feelings about him?
4. Why, in the beginning of the story, is the research crew so small?
5. How does Hope meet John?
6. How does Hope plan to reconstruct her burned notes?
7. What is the theory that Hope explains to Ian about the war among the chimps?
8. What are the living arrangements for the researchers at Grosso Arvore? What is included at the camp?
9. How does Hope report Mr. Jeb's death and how does Mallabar believe?
10. What happens after Lena's baby is killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define exposition and discuss exposition in this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in "Brazzaville Beach"? How does the author switch the exposition as Hope switches her story lines?
Essay Topic 2
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in "Brazzaville Beach"? Explain your answers and give an overview of William Boyd's life. Reference secondary materials to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss the rising action in "Brazzaville Beach." How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow, taking into consideration that Hope tells two stories simultaneously?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)