|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hopes to make a purchase from a Syrian friend?
2. Who will meet the supply runner for a rendezvous?
3. What kind of food must the supply runner eat while gone for supplies?
4. According to the prologue, how many stories will Hope tell?
5. How are the roads on the supply route?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hope report Mr. Jeb's death and how does Mallabar believe?
2. Describe John's research work early in his marriage to Hope.
3. How does Hope plan to reconstruct her burned notes?
4. How does Hope meet John?
5. What happens after Lena's baby is killed?
6. What disconcerting event happens when Hope and John take a short holiday together?
7. What makes Hope question the validity of Mallabar's explanation for her hut burning down?
8. What, according to Ian's theory, will happen when all the northern female chimps become pregnant? What is the problem he expects?
9. What is the theory that Hope explains to Ian about the war among the chimps?
10. Who is Clovis and what are Hope's feelings about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss the rising action in "Brazzaville Beach." How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow, taking into consideration that Hope tells two stories simultaneously?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of this novel? What was the mood? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
What is a static character? What is a dynamic character? Identify two static characters and two dynamic characters from the story. Explain specifically what about each one makes it either static or dynamic.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)