|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Conrad Richter's first novel?
2. What is the main profession of most Rothschild men?
3. What shape are the cuts made into the mountainsides in strip mining?
4. From which university does Miriam hold an honorary degree?
5. What does Caudill call his tours of Kentucky strip mines for visitors from other states?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richter's personality.
2. What are the characteristics of Richter's writing style?
3. According to McCullough, what are some of Washington D.C.'s best attributes?
4. What is the obvious theme in David Plowden's photography?
5. Explain how Miriam is influenced by her Uncle Walter.
6. What is Miriams' affinity to fleas?
7. Who is Miriam Rothschild as described in this chapter?
8. What are the unifying feelings these aviators have about flying?
9. What is the history of strip mining in Kentucky?
10. What is the scope of David Plowden's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miriam Rothschild is a quirky woman who lives an unconventional life. Do you think Miriam could indulge her idiosyncrasies because her wealth allowed it? Or would Miriam have found some outlet for her quirkiness regardless of her station in life? How much is financial status an issue in living the life that one pleases as opposed to the life one is obligated to live?
Essay Topic 2
McCullough has friends in both the writer, Conrad Richter, and the photographer, David Plowden. What similarities do Richter and Plowden share in their personal philosophies? In their work? Why would McCullough be drawn to both these men and their work? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life and career of Louis Agassiz. What was his background? What were his personal and professional motivations? For what is he best remembered?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)