|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Miriam's wealthy Uncle Walter almost always in debt?
2. Miriam Rothschild is known for being a _____________.
3. Where is Miriam's home?
4. What is the timeframe for the subject?
5. To what artist is Plowden's photography compared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What closing words does McCullough offer the graduates?
2. What are the long term effects of strip mining?
3. What is the subject of the chapter entitled "The Lonely War of a Good Angry Man?"
4. What is the purpose of McCullough's words in "Recommended Itinerary?"
5. Explain how Miriam is influenced by her Uncle Walter.
6. What is the subject of "South of Kankakee?"
7. What is Richter's background and the beginning of his writing success?
8. What are the characteristics of Richter's writing style?
9. Explain the reason for Charles Lindbergh's loss of popularity in the United States.
10. Describe Miriam Rothschild.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact of Harriet Beecher Stowe's most acclaimed work, UNCLE TOM'S CABIN. What was the impetus for the writing of the piece? What were the reactions to the book? Did the book directly or indirectly affect the Civil War?
Essay Topic 2
McCullough has respect for all of the people in the book but do you think he likes any one of them more than the others? Who would you choose to be your new friend among the people McCullough has chosen to portray? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The aviators in the mid-1920s were gifted writers as well as aviators. Why do you think there is a connection between these two skills? Explain.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)