|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Plowden's first and only regular job?
2. Who is the aviator who disappears in the Marianas?
3. This time period is marked by both horror and ______________.
4. What is the book written by the answer to #126 which is compared to Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath?
5. How many children does Miriam have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does strip mining continue in many states?
2. What are the long term effects of strip mining?
3. What is Richter's background and the beginning of his writing success?
4. What is the scope of David Plowden's work?
5. Explain the reason for Charles Lindbergh's loss of popularity in the United States.
6. What is the obvious theme in David Plowden's photography?
7. What is the history of strip mining in Kentucky?
8. What closing words does McCullough offer the graduates?
9. What are the characteristics of Richter's writing style?
10. Who is the subject of "Cross the Blue Mountain" and what is this person's association with McCullough?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to Charles Lindbergh, name some of the aviators who pioneer the art of flight in the mid-1920s in America. Why did these men and women gravitate toward flying? What was the pleasure that outweighed the risk? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Charles Lindbergh lost some popularity in America when he went to Germany prior to World War II and then took an isolationist position related to war with Germany. What does it mean to take an isolationist position? Why were many Americans disheartened to learn of Lindbergh's position on the subject of war with Germany?
Essay Topic 3
McCullough has friends in both the writer, Conrad Richter, and the photographer, David Plowden. What similarities do Richter and Plowden share in their personal philosophies? In their work? Why would McCullough be drawn to both these men and their work? Explain.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)