|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state is the Blue Mountain located?
2. Monticello is the home of which president?
3. In what city does David McCullough live and work?
4. "Long Distance Vision" covers the subject of ________________.
5. With what part or the country is Plowden enamored?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miriam Rothschild.
2. What is the significance of Blair House in Washington, D.C.?
3. What is the subject of the chapter entitled "The Lonely War of a Good Angry Man?"
4. What is Miriams' affinity to fleas?
5. What is the subject of "Long Distance Vision?"
6. Who is the subject of "Cross the Blue Mountain" and what is this person's association with McCullough?
7. What is the obvious theme in David Plowden's photography?
8. What are the characteristics of Richter's writing style?
9. How is Plowden both photographer and historian?
10. What is Richter's background and the beginning of his writing success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miriam Rothschild is a quirky woman who lives an unconventional life. Do you think Miriam could indulge her idiosyncrasies because her wealth allowed it? Or would Miriam have found some outlet for her quirkiness regardless of her station in life? How much is financial status an issue in living the life that one pleases as opposed to the life one is obligated to live?
Essay Topic 2
As an historian, David McCullough would naturally be drawn to Washington, D.C. What does he especially like about the city? What important events in his life occurred there? Why does McCullough choose to live there? Do you think he likes "old" history as well as being close to the center of where much "new" history is made? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Frederic Remington was born in a town in New York but made a career out of creating art about the Wild West. Explain how a person can create things that are foreign to their background or heritage. Why was Remington so drawn to the West? How did he feel when the West began to be civilized?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)