|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which U.S. president attended the bridge opening?
2. In what city is Frederic Remington when the chapter opens?
3. Who sells the idea for the project to civic leaders in 1882?
4. What position is created for Agassiz in America?
5. What does Remington falsely claim to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is the town of Medora most known today?
2. Who founded the town of Medora and what was his purpose for doing so?
3. Who is Humboldt's partner and what is the nature of their explorations?
4. What is the human cost of building the Panama Railroad?
5. Explain Theodore Roosevelt's interest in the Medora area.
6. Explain how the drawings are crafted.
7. Why is the Panama Railroad called "the first steam road to El Dorado?"
8. What precipitates the finding of the carpentry shop treasure?
9. What is Agassiz' teaching style at Harvard?
10. When is the idea for the Panama Railroad born and who are its creators?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Theodore Roosevelt in his Dakota Badlands days. Why did he go to the region originally? What did he want to accomplish? Why did he later state that the time he spent in the Badlands was critical to his ultimate success?
Essay Topic 2
McCullough has respect for all of the people in the book but do you think he likes any one of them more than the others? Who would you choose to be your new friend among the people McCullough has chosen to portray? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Frederic Remington was born in a town in New York but made a career out of creating art about the Wild West. Explain how a person can create things that are foreign to their background or heritage. Why was Remington so drawn to the West? How did he feel when the West began to be civilized?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)