|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to aviation, at what other skill do the aviators excel?
2. What is the name of the first Russian satellite launched in 1957?
3. What does McCullough advise people to take with them everywhere?
4. What is Conrad Richter's relationship to David McCullough?
(c) Golf partner
5. Where does Plowden fall in love with trains?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many aviators die attempting to cross the Atlantic before Charles Lindbergh, Jr.?
2. Where is Miriam's home?
3. What number is the end mark in journalistic pieces as well as the day of the month that Richter died?
4. Which Civil War battle accounts for the bloodiest day in American history?
5. Where does Richter make a surprise visit to McCullough?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Miriam is influenced by her Uncle Walter.
2. Which aviators does McCullough include in this chapter?
3. What is the subject of "South of Kankakee?"
4. In what areas is life indelibly altered during this period?
5. Describe Richter's personality.
6. What are the long term effects of strip mining?
7. What are the characteristics of Richter's writing style?
8. How is Plowden both photographer and historian?
9. What is the significance of Blair House in Washington, D.C.?
10. Describe Miriam Rothschild.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)