|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Miriam's home?
(c) New York
(d) Ashton Wold
2. What is mined in the state in the answer to #122?
3. Who is the only president to retire in Washington?
(a) Woodrow Wilson
(b) Abraham Lincoln
(c) George H. W. Bush
(d) Ulysses S. Grant
4. Where does Richter make a surprise visit to McCullough?
(a) Jekyll Island
(b) Martha's Vineyard
(d) Cumberland Island
5. For what publication does Richter write during The Great Depression?
(a) The Reader's Digest
(b) Look Magazine
(c) Life Magazine
(d) The Saturday Evening Post
Short Answer Questions
1. Monticello is the home of which president?
2. What is the main profession of most Rothschild men?
3. According to McCullough, who is the last U.S. president to have a sense of history?
4. What major award did Richter win in 1951?
5. Why is Miriam's wealthy Uncle Walter almost always in debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the history of strip mining in Kentucky?
2. What is the obvious theme in David Plowden's photography?
3. Describe Miriam Rothschild.
4. Who is the subject of "Cross the Blue Mountain" and what is this person's association with McCullough?
5. What are the characteristics of Richter's writing style?
6. In what areas is life indelibly altered during this period?
7. How is Plowden both photographer and historian?
8. Describe Richter's personality.
9. Who is Miriam Rothschild as described in this chapter?
10. What is the subject of this chapter entitled "Extraordinary Times?"
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)