|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position is created for Agassiz in America?
(a) President of Yale
(b) Assistant to Darwin
(c) The President's Council on Ecology
(d) Chair of Natural History at Harvard
2. Humboldt is one of the earliest _________________.
3. Which U.S. president did Humboldt visit in 1804?
(a) James Madison
(b) Abraham Lincoln
(c) Thomas Jefferson
(d) John Quincy Adams
4. Why does Roosevelt suffer bouts of depression?
(a) His wife and mother die on the same day
(b) It is an inherited condition
(c) He is not nominated for President
(d) He loses his bid for Congress
5. Most of the railroad lies in what type of terrain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Valentine find documents related to the bridge?
2. In what city is Frederic Remington when the chapter opens?
3. When was the first stake for the railroad driven?
4. What donations is Agassiz able to attain for the school?
5. In what year are treasures related to the Brooklyn Bridge found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cite some of the reasons that Uncle Tom's Cabin had such an impact on readers.
2. What is Frederic Remington's background?
3. What was the career path of naturalist Louis Agassiz that leads him from Switzerland to America?
4. What is the injury that changes Washington Roebling's life and his work on the bridge?
5. What is the purpose of Brave Companions?
6. What is Remington's position on the civilizing of the West and how does he express it?
7. Who is Humboldt's partner and what is the nature of their explorations?
8. Why does Agassiz decide to make America his permanent home?
9. Explain Harriet's familiarity with slavery which allows her to write Uncle Tom's Cabin.
10. What precipitates the finding of the carpentry shop treasure?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)