|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Humboldt's book that inspired Charles Darwin and others?
(a) Hot, Humid Horticulture
(b) Jungle Stories
(c) Personal Narrative
(d) My Life with Plants
2. Where was the first stake for the railroad driven?
(a) Victoria Island
(b) Balboa Island
(c) Ellis Island
(d) Manzanillo Island
3. _______________ called Harriet "the little woman who made this big war."
(a) Andrew Johnson
(b) Frederick Douglass
(c) Abraham Lincoln
(d) Calvin Stowe
4. What act guarantees exclusive U.S. rights to build the railroad?
(a) Treaty of Versailles
(b) Treaty of Greenville
(c) U.N. Treaty
(d) Bidlack Treaty
5. Medora is the location of what national site?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt National Park
(b) Grant's Tomb
(c) Little Big Horn
(d) Mount Rushmore
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes it hard to retain workers for the railroad?
2. This book is a volume of 17 __________________.
3. What initials are on many of the bridge drawings?
4. What are the found treasures?
5. Where are some of the drawings taken to be cleaned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agassiz decide to make America his permanent home?
2. What is the human cost of building the Panama Railroad?
3. Cite some of the reasons that Uncle Tom's Cabin had such an impact on readers.
4. What is notable about Humboldt and Bonpland's work relating vegetation to elevations?
5. What is Frederic Remington's background?
6. Explain how the drawings are crafted.
7. What is the nature of Harriet Beecher's childhood?
8. When is the idea for the Panama Railroad born and who are its creators?
9. What is the focus of "Glory Days in Medora?
10. What precipitates the finding of the carpentry shop treasure?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)