|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Remington, "Cowboys are ______________."
2. In what year are treasures related to the Brooklyn Bridge found?
3. What is the name of Humboldt's book that inspired Charles Darwin and others?
(a) My Life with Plants
(b) Personal Narrative
(c) Jungle Stories
(d) Hot, Humid Horticulture
4. What makes it hard to retain workers for the railroad?
(a) Treacherous terrain
(b) Low pay
(c) The heat
(d) The Gold Rush
5. What is Harriet's nickname?
(c) Hat pin
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agassiz first come to the United States?
2. Who takes over the project when John Roebling dies?
3. Who is Aime Bonpland?
4. "The Builders" is the story of the building of _________________.
5. What was the impetus for the railroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the human cost of building the Panama Railroad?
2. What are the major impediments to building the Panama Railroad?
3. What is the topic of "The Builders?"
4. Who is Humboldt's partner and what is the nature of their explorations?
5. Explain Theodore Roosevelt's interest in the Medora area.
6. What is Agassiz' teaching style at Harvard?
7. What is notable about Humboldt and Bonpland's work relating vegetation to elevations?
8. Why does Agassiz decide to make America his permanent home?
9. What precipitates the finding of the carpentry shop treasure?
10. What was the career path of naturalist Louis Agassiz that leads him from Switzerland to America?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)