|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This book is a volume of 17 __________________.
(c) articles and addresses
2. Who rides in the first carriage across the bridge?
(a) Emily Roebling
(b) President Chester A. Arthur
(c) Warner Roebling
(d) Mayor Giuliani
3. What does Agassiz consider Darwin's ON THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES BY MEANS OF NATURAL SELECTION?
4. Before the railroad, what is the only method of crossing the Isthmus of Panama?
(b) Speed boat
5. Who is Eva Caten?
(a) Remington's first art teacher
(b) Remington's sister
(c) Remington's wife
(d) Remington's favorite portrait subject
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alexander von Humboldt?
2. Of what does John Roebling die?
3. What life does Harriet come to like?
4. Who is Valentine's neighbor who works for the Whitney Museum of Modern Art?
5. What does the person in #80 carry across the bridge as a symbol of victory?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is the idea for the Panama Railroad born and who are its creators?
2. Why is the Panama Railroad called "the first steam road to El Dorado?"
3. What is the perspective of the Brooklyn Bridge legacy found in "The Treasure from the Carpentry Shop?"
4. Explain Theodore Roosevelt's interest in the Medora area.
5. What is the focus of "Glory Days in Medora?
6. What is the nature of Harriet Beecher's childhood?
7. What is Valentine's struggle with getting the bridge documents validated?
8. What is the human cost of building the Panama Railroad?
9. What is Remington's position on the civilizing of the West and how does he express it?
10. What is the injury that changes Washington Roebling's life and his work on the bridge?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)