|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What allows man to think he is master of the universe?
2. About which president is McCullough writing a biography at this time?
(a) John Adams
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Harry S. Truman
(d) Abraham Lincoln
3. Which of the following is not a reason why strip mining is so popular?
(a) It doesn't take as long
(b) It creates no psychological fear
(c) It takes fewer men
(d) It is safer than working underground
4. What does Caudill call his tours of Kentucky strip mines for visitors from other states?
(a) Harry's Horror Tours
(b) Kentucky's Lesions
(c) Yours, Mine and Theirs Tours
(d) Harry's House of Horrors
5. In what city was Plowden born?
(d) New York
6. At what age does Plowden begin to take photos?
7. In what city does David McCullough live and work?
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) New York
8. In what state is the Blue Mountain located?
9. What is the name of the first Russian satellite launched in 1957?
10. Who is the aviator who disappears in the Marianas?
(a) Nevil Norway
(b) Beryl Markham
(c) Amelia Earhart
(d) Antoine de Saint-Exupery
11. The early aviators navigate by ____________________ rather than instruments.
(a) weather patterns
(b) gut instinct
(c) landscape details
12. What are "Grim's Garden Spots?"
(a) Garden gnomes
(b) Reclaimed mines
(c) Storybook shops
(d) Gardening centers
13. What shape are the cuts made into the mountainsides in strip mining?
14. Who becomes the spokesman for the Kentucky residents affected by strip mining?
(a) John Muir
(b) William Lexington
(c) Harry Monroe Caudill
(d) Henry Clay
15. Aviation is a common cause destined to ______________________.
(a) Entertain the very rich
(b) Bring humanity closer together
(c) Become a terrorist weapon
(d) Bring tragedy to many families
Short Answer Questions
1. From which university does Miriam hold an honorary degree?
2. What makes Lindbergh renounce his profession?
3. Why does Charles Lindbergh's popularity plummet by 1940?
4. In what year is Miriam born?
5. What was Conrad Richter's profession?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)