|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a reason why strip mining is so popular?
(a) It doesn't take as long
(b) It is safer than working underground
(c) It takes fewer men
(d) It creates no psychological fear
2. How many hours does Miriam sleep each night?
3. What is David Plowden's profession?
4. What is the dominant subject of Plowden's work?
(c) Still life
5. From which university does Miriam hold an honorary degree?
6. For what publication does Richter write during The Great Depression?
(a) Look Magazine
(b) The Saturday Evening Post
(c) The Reader's Digest
(d) Life Magazine
7. "Cross the Blue Mountain" is a remembrance of whom?
(a) William Clinton
(b) U.S. Grant
(c) Pablo Picasso
(d) Conrad Richter
8. With what part or the country is Plowden enamored?
(a) New England
9. What major award did Richter win in 1951?
(a) The Pulitzer Prize
(b) The Academy Award
(c) The National Book Award
(d) The Nobel Prize
10. What number is the end mark in journalistic pieces as well as the day of the month that Richter died?
11. In what state does the action occur in this story?
(b) West Virginia
12. In what city does David McCullough live and work?
(a) New York
(d) Washington, D.C.
13. In what state is the Blue Mountain located?
14. What is Conrad Richter's relationship to David McCullough?
(b) Golf partner
15. What is an elemental part of Richter's stories?
(c) The land
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mined in the state in the answer to #122?
2. What does Plowden lack to be a newspaper photographer?
3. This time period is marked by both horror and ______________.
4. Which of the following does Plowden not arrive in time to photograph before its demise?
5. What is the name of the first Russian satellite launched in 1957?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)