|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Extraordinary Time" addresses how the world has changed since what year?
2. In strip mining, how many acres are disturbed for every acre mined?
3. What does McCullough advise people to take with them everywhere?
4. What religious affiliation do the Rothschilds have?
5. In what city was Plowden born?
(c) New York
6. Vocabulary and _________________ are particularly important to Richter's writing.
(c) verb tense
7. What is the timeframe for the subject?
8. What does Plowden lack to be a newspaper photographer?
(a) Interviewing skills
(b) A long lens
(d) Thick skin
9. What major award did Richter win in 1951?
(a) The Pulitzer Prize
(b) The Academy Award
(c) The Nobel Prize
(d) The National Book Award
10. What is the main profession of most Rothschild men?
11. What is the dominant subject of Plowden's work?
(b) Still life
12. To what artist is Plowden's photography compared?
(a) Pablo Picasso
(b) Edward Hopper
(c) Wassily Kandinsky
(d) Claude Monet
13. What is Conrad Richter's first novel?
(a) The Sea of Grass
(b) The Sea Has No Secrets
(c) Seasons of Love
(d) Seaside Serenade
14. What does McCullough advise people to limit in their lives?
15. About which president is McCullough writing a biography at this time?
(a) Thomas Jefferson
(b) John Adams
(c) Abraham Lincoln
(d) Harry S. Truman
Short Answer Questions
1. Miriam's father and uncle are both gifted amateur __________________.
2. For what book is Antoine de Saint-Exupery most famous?
3. According to McCullough, who is the last U.S. president to have a sense of history?
4. At what age does Plowden begin to take photos?
5. When did Lindbergh land in Paris?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)