|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About which president is McCullough writing a biography at this time?
(a) John Adams
(b) Thomas Jefferson
(c) Abraham Lincoln
(d) Harry S. Truman
2. How many hours does Miriam sleep each night?
3. What shape are the cuts made into the mountainsides in strip mining?
4. What is the profession of the answer to #126?
5. What is the name of the first Russian satellite launched in 1957?
6. At what age does Plowden begin to take photos?
7. Aviation is a common cause destined to ______________________.
(a) Entertain the very rich
(b) Bring tragedy to many families
(c) Become a terrorist weapon
(d) Bring humanity closer together
8. "Cross the Blue Mountain" is a remembrance of whom?
(a) Conrad Richter
(b) William Clinton
(c) Pablo Picasso
(d) U.S. Grant
9. The early aviators navigate by ____________________ rather than instruments.
(b) landscape details
(c) gut instinct
(d) weather patterns
10. Which of the following does Plowden not arrive in time to photograph before its demise?
(a) The Scranton Railroad Station
(b) The Flamingo Hotel
(c) The Hoboken Ferry
(d) The SS Algosooo
11. What is Conrad Richter's relationship to David McCullough?
(a) Golf partner
12. Who becomes the spokesman for the Kentucky residents affected by strip mining?
(a) Harry Monroe Caudill
(b) William Lexington
(c) Henry Clay
(d) John Muir
13. How many children does Miriam have?
14. In strip mining, how many acres are disturbed for every acre mined?
15. "Recommended Itinerary" was originally a __________________________.
(d) commencement address
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Miriam's home?
2. What does McCullough advise people to take with them everywhere?
3. Why does Charles Lindbergh's popularity plummet by 1940?
4. With what part or the country is Plowden enamored?
5. For what publication does Richter write during The Great Depression?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)