|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Humboldt is the first European to ___________________________________.
(a) fly from Paris to New York
(b) sail through the Panama Canal
(c) sense the greatness of America's Incan and Mayan civilizations
(d) create a botanical garden
2. What position is created for Agassiz in America?
(a) President of Yale
(b) The President's Council on Ecology
(c) Chair of Natural History at Harvard
(d) Assistant to Darwin
3. What act guarantees exclusive U.S. rights to build the railroad?
(a) U.N. Treaty
(b) Bidlack Treaty
(c) Treaty of Greenville
(d) Treaty of Versailles
4. Who rides in the first carriage across the bridge?
(a) Emily Roebling
(b) President Chester A. Arthur
(c) Mayor Giuliani
(d) Warner Roebling
5. Which U.S. president attended the bridge opening?
(a) Warren Harding
(b) U.S. Grant
(c) Grover Cleveland
(d) Chester A. Arthur
6. In what countries do Humboldt and Bonpland spend two years?
(a) Thailand, China, India
(b) Columbia, Ecuador and Peru
(c) Italy, Germany and France
(d) Ireland, Scotland and Wales
7. Where does Valentine find documents related to the bridge?
(a) Roebling's home
(b) The New York Public Library
(c) A bank vault
(d) The carpentry shop
8. Who sells the idea for the project to civic leaders in 1882?
(a) Frederic Remington
(b) John Roebling
(c) U.S. Grant
(d) Washington Roebling
9. How many drawings are sent to be cleaned?
10. Most of the railroad lies in what type of terrain?
11. What is the name of Humboldt's last book geared toward nonscientific readers?
(a) The Galaxy
(b) Star Trek
(d) Galatial Odysseus
12. What did Harriet's famous book prompt?
(a) The French and Indian War
(b) The Boston Tea Party
(c) The War of 1812
(d) The Civil War
13. Who is Valentine's neighbor who works for the Whitney Museum of Modern Art?
(a) David McCullough
(b) Michael Hupert
(c) David Hupert
(d) David Copperfield
14. Before the railroad, what is the only method of crossing the Isthmus of Panama?
(a) Speed boat
15. "Agassiz belongs to that class of naturalists who see ___________ in everything."
Short Answer Questions
1. Remington illustrates articles written by whom?
2. What does Theodore Roosevelt find even more interesting about Remington than his paintings?
3. Who is Alexander von Humboldt?
4. The idea for the railroad originates with three men who are _______________________.
5. Who takes over the work of running the project after her husband is paralyzed?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)