|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harriet's husband insist about her?
(a) She is a literary woman
(b) She is a terrible cook
(c) She can't keep plants alive
(d) She is a wonderful mother
2. Why does Agassiz first come to the United States?
(a) To meet the president
(b) To teach at Yale
(c) To go on a Lecture Tour
(d) To find a wife
3. What does Remington falsely claim to be?
(a) Cowpuncher and Indian fighter
(b) U.S. Congressman
(c) Wagon train leader
(d) U.S. Cavalry lieutenant
4. What is young Remington pursuing as the chapter opens?
5. What does the person in #80 carry across the bridge as a symbol of victory?
(a) Peace flower
(b) Laurel wreath
6. Humboldt and Bonpland explored the New World colonies of which country?
(c) Great Britain
7. To which Ohio city does Harriet's family move?
8. When does a show exhibiting the documents open in New York?
(a) May 1976
(b) May 1876
(c) March 1976
(d) April 1975
9. In what countries do Humboldt and Bonpland spend two years?
(a) Thailand, China, India
(b) Columbia, Ecuador and Peru
(c) Italy, Germany and France
(d) Ireland, Scotland and Wales
10. When is the bridge officially opened?
(a) May 24, 1893
(b) March 24, 1883
(c) May 24, 1865
(d) May 24, 1883
11. What makes it hard to retain workers for the railroad?
(a) The heat
(b) Treacherous terrain
(c) Low pay
(d) The Gold Rush
12. Agassiz helps people understand how ______________ created natural phenomena in Europe.
(a) The Big Bang
(b) Global Warming
(c) The Ice Age
13. Where does Theodore Roosevelt spend his time in this chapter?
(a) Appalachian Mountains
(b) Florida swamps
(c) Mojave Desert
(d) Dakota Badlands
14. What life does Harriet come to like?
(a) The lecture circuit
(c) Domestic life
(d) Religious life
15. The first essay is entitled "Journey to the top of the __________."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harriet claim wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin?
2. What act guarantees exclusive U.S. rights to build the railroad?
3. Humboldt is one of the earliest _________________.
4. Who is the founder of Medora?
5. Where was the first stake for the railroad driven?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)