|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Builders" is the story of the building of _________________.
(a) The Brooklyn Bridge
(b) The Golden Gate Bridge
(c) Mount Rushmore
(d) The Eiffel Tower
2. What is Harriet Beecher Stowe famous for writing?
(a) David Copperfield
(b) War and Peace
(c) Uncle Tom's Cabin
(d) Tom and Jerry
3. "Agassiz belongs to that class of naturalists who see ___________ in everything."
4. What is the name of Roosevelt's ranch near Medora?
(a) Western White House
(b) Elkhorn Ranch
(c) Roosevelt Ranch
(d) Little Big Ranch
5. Two of Roebling's successful projects were in ______________ and Niagara Falls.
(b) San Francisco
6. What response does Valentine get from public institutions regarding the drawings at first?
(a) No interest
(b) Wild enthusiasm
(d) Mild interest
7. Why does Roosevelt suffer bouts of depression?
(a) He is not nominated for President
(b) He loses his bid for Congress
(c) His wife and mother die on the same day
(d) It is an inherited condition
8. What life does Harriet come to like?
(a) The lecture circuit
(b) Religious life
(c) Domestic life
9. Most of the railroad lies in what type of terrain?
10. Who is Eva Caten?
(a) Remington's wife
(b) Remington's favorite portrait subject
(c) Remington's sister
(d) Remington's first art teacher
11. What does Harriet's husband insist about her?
(a) She is a literary woman
(b) She is a wonderful mother
(c) She is a terrible cook
(d) She can't keep plants alive
12. What does Stowe do after her friend, Eliza Stowe, dies?
(a) Adopts her children
(b) Marries Eliza's husband
(c) Manages her estate
(d) Writes her biography
13. What is Francis P. Valentine's job?
(a) Toll taker
(b) Ferry driver
(d) Civil engineer
14. Who takes over the project when John Roebling dies?
(a) Washington Roebling
(b) U.S. Grant
(c) Warner Roebling
(d) Richard Remington
15. With whom does Mores think Roosevelt sides?
(b) Railroad men
(d) Chicago beef trust
Short Answer Questions
1. In what countries do Humboldt and Bonpland spend two years?
2. Who does Harriet claim wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin?
3. From what school is the young artist forced to drop out upon the death of his father?
4. Agassiz helps people understand how ______________ created natural phenomena in Europe.
5. What act guarantees exclusive U.S. rights to build the railroad?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)