|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which man is the next to arrive at the party?
2. What has Cowboy been paid to do?
3. What is the setting as the play opens?
4. Which of the following do the men not discuss after Alan arrives?
5. What is Cowboy's purpose at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis for Harold's self esteem issues?
2. How is Michael surprised when he grabs the phone from Alan?
3. How does Michael answer Donald's question about why Alan had come to the party tonight?
4. Describe Michael's collapse as the guests begin to leave the party.
5. Where does Michael decide to go at the end of the evening?
6. What do the men do as they wait for the other guests to arrive?
7. How does the play open?
8. How does Michael enlist Donald's help regarding Alan's presence at the party tonight?
9. Who turns the tables on Michael and holds him up to scrutiny?
10. What interrupts the conversation between Michael and Donald?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place as America is experiencing the Hippie Generation, the Vietnam War, Woodstock, and drug usage in the late 1960s. Explain the significance of these political and cultural events on Michael and the other men. How would Michael and the other men's lives be different today? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Alan. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Alan?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)