|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic do the men discuss related to school roommates?
2. How does Michael's apartment appear?
3. At whose apartment do the men gather?
4. Which of the following do the men not discuss after Alan arrives?
5. In what year does the play take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alan react to the insinuation that he is gay?
2. How do the men try to make Alan feel more comfortable at the party?
3. Why are Hank's game points in question after he makes the phone call in Affairs of the Heart?
4. What advice does Harold have for Michael to be happy?
5. What happens when Harold finally arrives at the party?
6. How does Michael answer Donald's question about why Alan had come to the party tonight?
7. Which gift seems to have the most significance for Harold?
8. What line of conversation extends from the men discussing their school roommates?
9. What is at the core of Michael's passive-aggressive behavior during Act 2?
10. What bad habits has Michael given up in order to improve his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the play's title--THE BOYS IN THE BAND. Why did Crowley choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Or is the author just having fun with the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Michael's apartment almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the house "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)