|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Alan when he arrives?
2. How does Michael's apartment appear?
3. Where is Alan's home located?
4. How does Alan react to Emory's assertion that Alan is gay?
5. From what room does Alan emerge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the story of THE BOYS IN THE BAND about?
2. What clues do Larry and Donald give that they had had an intimate relationship?
3. What advice and encouragement does Donald give Michael?
4. What finally breaks the tension at dinner?
5. From what does Donald suffer and how does it impact his life?
6. What line of conversation extends from the men discussing their school roommates?
7. What does Alan say are his reasons for coming to Michael's this evening?
8. Why does Michael say that Alan stayed all night at the party?
9. What does Michael taunt Alan into doing to end the game?
10. Where does Michael decide to go at the end of the evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 2
Michael's apartment almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the house "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1960s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1960s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)