|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sexual persuasion of the people in the story?
2. The story is about how many people?
3. Why is Alan using Michael's friends?
4. What event are the men celebrating?
5. Which of the following is not one of the first guests to arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alan react to the insinuation that he is gay?
2. Where does Michael decide to go at the end of the evening?
3. What line of conversation extends from the men discussing their school roommates?
4. Who is Cowboy and why is he at the party tonight?
5. Describe Emory's turn at playing Affairs of the Heart.
6. Does Michael think it is possible that Justin may have lied about Alan's sexuality?
7. How is Michael surprised when he grabs the phone from Alan?
8. Explain how Michael continues to taunt Alan after the game breaks up.
9. Who turns the tables on Michael and holds him up to scrutiny?
10. Explain the symbolism of Michael's apartment.
Essay Topic 1
Is Harold accurate that Michael is an angry, sad gay man? How does Michael's anger exhibit? Cite three examples of Michael's cruelty toward himself as well as toward others.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)