|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael receives a phone call from whom?
2. From what room does Alan emerge?
3. Who does Alan think is the birthday boy?
4. Whose birthday are the men celebrating?
5. Where is Alan's home located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michael's collapse as the guests begin to leave the party.
2. Why is Emory annoyed with Cowboy?
3. Who is Cowboy and why is he at the party tonight?
4. Where does Michael decide to go at the end of the evening?
5. What does Michael taunt Alan into doing to end the game?
6. Why are Hank's game points in question after he makes the phone call in Affairs of the Heart?
7. How does Michael clarify an invitation for Alan to come over for drinks?
8. How does the play open?
9. From what does Donald suffer and how does it impact his life?
10. Who turns the tables on Michael and holds him up to scrutiny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Is Harold accurate that Michael is an angry, sad gay man? How does Michael's anger exhibit? Cite three examples of Michael's cruelty toward himself as well as toward others.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)