|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cowboy's early arrival kills the ______________________.
2. It is obvious that Donald has had an intimate relationship with whom?
3. Alan claims to not pass judgment on ____________________.
4. At whose apartment do the men gather?
5. Who does Donald say is responsible for his dysfunctional behavior issues?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the undercurrent of the dialogue between the men in Act 1?
2. What does Michael taunt Alan into doing to end the game?
3. Who is the first man in the group to play Affairs of the Heart and what is the outcome?
4. What is the basis for Harold's self esteem issues?
5. How does the relationship between Larry and Hank become apparent during the game?
6. What is the premise of THE BOYS IN THE BAND?
7. Explain how Michael continues to taunt Alan after the game breaks up.
8. From what does Donald suffer and how does it impact his life?
9. Which gift seems to have the most significance for Harold?
10. Who are the next three dinner guests to arrive at Michael's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Alan's character in the play? Why did the author choose to insert him into the drama? Do you think Alan or the other men are better off for Alan's presence in the play? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of gay men in the 1960. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century gay men do not have?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this play. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)