|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Donald suffer from?
2. Why is Emory annoyed at Cowboy?
3. Donald is not happy because his appointment _____________________.
4. In what year does the play take place?
5. Which of the following do the men not discuss after Alan arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Hank's game points in question after he makes the phone call in Affairs of the Heart?
2. With whom does Emory leave the party?
3. What do the men do as they wait for the other guests to arrive?
4. What interrupts the conversation between Michael and Donald?
5. What is the game the men decide to play and what are the rules?
6. Describe Michael's collapse as the guests begin to leave the party.
7. How does Michael enlist Donald's help regarding Alan's presence at the party tonight?
8. From what does Donald suffer and how does it impact his life?
9. What is the undercurrent of the dialogue between the men in Act 1?
10. What are Alan's feelings about the party at this point in the evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1960s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1960s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
The play takes place in the late 1960s as America is experiencing free love, war protests and radical shifts in music. Research this period in America and create a multimedia presentation of the clothes, food, music and people during this time.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this play. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)