|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Michael recently stopped doing?
2. Who does Cowboy kiss at the door?
3. How could Alan's demeanor be described?
4. In what year does the play take place?
5. What does Donald do after Cowboy finishes singing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first man in the group to play Affairs of the Heart and what is the outcome?
2. How do the men try to make Alan feel more comfortable at the party?
3. Describe Michael's collapse as the guests begin to leave the party.
4. How does Michael clarify an invitation for Alan to come over for drinks?
5. Who turns the tables on Michael and holds him up to scrutiny?
6. Does Michael think it is possible that Justin may have lied about Alan's sexuality?
7. Who is the only African American guest at the party?
8. What are Alan's perceptions of Michael's friends?
9. Why is Emory annoyed with Cowboy?
10. What does Michael taunt Alan into doing to end the game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1960s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1960s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Alan's character in the play? Why did the author choose to insert him into the drama? Do you think Alan or the other men are better off for Alan's presence in the play? Explain.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)