|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Cowboy been paid to do?
2. What has Michael recently stopped doing?
3. At whose apartment do the men gather?
4. What does Donald do after Cowboy finishes singing?
5. What does Michael try to explain to Alan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alan react to Emory's insinuation that Alan is gay?
2. What interrupts the conversation between Michael and Donald?
3. Who is the story of THE BOYS IN THE BAND about?
4. Explain the symbolism of Michael's apartment.
5. What is at the core of Michael's passive-aggressive behavior during Act 2?
6. What line of conversation extends from the men discussing their school roommates?
7. What finally breaks the tension at dinner?
8. What is the premise of THE BOYS IN THE BAND?
9. What is Michael's attitude at the end of the play?
10. How does Emory insinuate that Alan is gay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Michael's apartment. What does it signify? What role does it play in the drama? Why did the author choose this setting instead of another?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title--THE BOYS IN THE BAND. Why did Crowley choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Or is the author just having fun with the reader?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)