|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michael doing as the play begins?
2. What does Michael ask Donald to help with?
3. Cowboy's early arrival kills the ______________________.
4. It is clear that Cowboy wants to _____________________.
5. What shocks Alan when he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Alan comes back to the party after having removed himself to recover from the fight?
2. Who is the first man in the group to play Affairs of the Heart and what is the outcome?
3. What insight does Donald share about what he has learned in therapy?
4. Why does Michael say that Alan stayed all night at the party?
5. Who is Cowboy and why is he at the party tonight?
6. What do the guests do when they realize Alan has not yet arrived?
7. Who is the only African American guest at the party?
8. Which gift seems to have the most significance for Harold?
9. With whom does Emory leave the party?
10. What bad habits has Michael given up in order to improve his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2Create a character study of Alan. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Alan?
Essay Topic 3The role of parental influence is a strong one on most of the men. Cite three examples noting the role of the family in general. Then cite three examples that showcase how the men feel their parents impacted them negatively.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)