|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alan is conflicted by his own _____________________.
2. How does Alan react to Emory's assertion that Alan is gay?
3. Alan claims to not pass judgment on ____________________.
4. Who are the people in the story?
5. How could Alan's demeanor be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of THE BOYS IN THE BAND?
2. What insight does Donald share about what he has learned in therapy?
3. How does Act 1 end?
4. Does Michael think it is possible that Justin may have lied about Alan's sexuality?
5. What happens when Harold finally arrives at the party?
6. What is the undercurrent of the dialogue between the men in Act 1?
7. Who is the story of THE BOYS IN THE BAND about?
8. What advice and encouragement does Donald give Michael?
9. What does Alan's character symbolize in the play?
10. What do the guests do when they realize Alan has not yet arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The play takes place in the late 1960s as America is experiencing free love, war protests and radical shifts in music. Research this period in America and create a multimedia presentation of the clothes, food, music and people during this time.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title--THE BOYS IN THE BAND. Why did Crowley choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Or is the author just having fun with the reader?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)