|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael invite Alan to do?
2. What does Michael claim fueled his first gay experiences?
3. What event are the men celebrating?
4. How was the play perceived at its introduction in 1969?
5. What type of appointment was canceled for Donald?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Alan's feelings about the party at this point in the evening?
2. Does Michael think it is possible that Justin may have lied about Alan's sexuality?
3. How do the men try to make Alan feel more comfortable at the party?
4. What do the men do as they wait for the other guests to arrive?
5. What clues do Larry and Donald give that they had had an intimate relationship?
6. What happens when Harold finally arrives at the party?
7. Why does Michael say that Alan stayed all night at the party?
8. Who is the story of THE BOYS IN THE BAND about?
9. What are Donald's plans to end the evening?
10. What do the guests do when they realize Alan has not yet arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Harold accurate that Michael is an angry, sad gay man? How does Michael's anger exhibit? Cite three examples of Michael's cruelty toward himself as well as toward others.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)