|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the people in the story?
2. What type of appointment was canceled for Donald?
3. What drink does Donald want?
4. Who buys Cowboy for Harold's birthday gift?
5. Where is Donald's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Emory leave the party?
2. Who is the story of THE BOYS IN THE BAND about?
3. Why does Michael say that Alan stayed all night at the party?
4. What do the men do as they wait for the other guests to arrive?
5. Who is the first man in the group to play Affairs of the Heart and what is the outcome?
6. Does Michael think it is possible that Justin may have lied about Alan's sexuality?
7. Who turns the tables on Michael and holds him up to scrutiny?
8. What happens when Harold finally arrives at the party?
9. Describe Michael's collapse as the guests begin to leave the party.
10. Why are Hank's game points in question after he makes the phone call in Affairs of the Heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of gay men in the 1960. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century gay men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Michael's apartment almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the house "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the play and write a brief synopsis for the lives of four of the characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)