|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cowboy's profession?
2. What does Michael claim fueled his first gay experiences?
3. What topic do the men discuss related to school roommates?
4. Where does Michael take Alan?
5. What is notable about Bernard's clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the story of THE BOYS IN THE BAND about?
2. Why are Hank's game points in question after he makes the phone call in Affairs of the Heart?
3. With whom does Harold leave the party?
4. What does Alan say are his reasons for coming to Michael's this evening?
5. How do the men try to make Alan feel more comfortable at the party?
6. How does Michael ask his guests to behave when Alan arrives?
7. What finally breaks the tension at dinner?
8. How is Michael surprised when he grabs the phone from Alan?
9. Explain the symbolism of Michael's apartment.
10. What line of conversation extends from the men discussing their school roommates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Alan. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Alan?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1960s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1960s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred--both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
Michael's apartment almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the house "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)