* THE BOYS IN THE BAND is the story of nine gay men in New York City in 1969.
* The men gather for a birthday celebration which takes on a somber tone by the end of the evening.
* The play opens in the apartment of a man named Michael who is wrapping a gift when Donald arrives.
* Donald bemoans the cancellation of his therapy appointment.
* Donald suffers anxiety attacks and would be at home on Long Island if not for this party.
* Donald claims that he has learned in therapy that his parents are responsible not only for his being gay but also for his dysfunctional behavior.
* Michael receives a phone call from an old college roommate named Alan and Michael invites Alan to join the group for the evening.
* Michael knows that Alan is a straight man and asks Donald to keep the gay vibe low key until...
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)