|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What transportation do the American troops use?
2. What declaration is presented to Japan by the Americans?
3. Why should H be patient with the children next door?
4. Who is assigned to clean up the city's bombsites?
5. What shocks H about the artists he meets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most dire situations can sometimes bring out the best in people. Discuss the theme of compassion as it relates to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
Essay Topic 3
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)