|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
2. Who do H and Yukawa meet at the armory?
3. What does Ishizuka's father give H before they leave?
4. What does Sumiyama believe is the profound wish of every Japanese man?
5. Why is Toshiko distant when H comes to visit in Chapter 48?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Near the end of the novel, we not only see the devastating impact that the war had on Kobe, but also the toll it took on H's emotional state. Discuss in detail the evidence of his emotional deterioration.
Essay Topic 2
Due to the war, H experiences many things that a normal childhood would not have included. This is especially true of his school life. Discuss how H's school life is affected by the war.
Essay Topic 3
War breeds suspicion, paranoia, and distrust. In the novel, we see these concepts exhibited on a global scale as well as within the smaller confines of Kobe. Discuss how these concepts are intensified by:
a) The Japanese military
b) The newspapers
c) Rumors circulating Kobe
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)