|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does H plan to win the friendship of American troops?
2. What does H promise to do in order to help his father's business?
3. Upon H's return to Kobe, what has happened to the Second Middle School?
4. What does H's family win?
5. Who does H hit with the rice pot lid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue both sides of the following statement: "During wartime, media censorship is an acceptable measure." Provide examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
War breeds suspicion, paranoia, and distrust. In the novel, we see these concepts exhibited on a global scale as well as within the smaller confines of Kobe. Discuss how these concepts are intensified by:
a) The Japanese military
b) The newspapers
c) Rumors circulating Kobe
Essay Topic 3
The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki had a major effect on the war in the Pacific. Explain how this is made evident in the novel.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)