|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does H plan to win the friendship of American troops?
2. Who announces the signing of the Potsdam Declaration to the school?
3. Who transforms himself into a nice middle-aged gentleman in a suit?
4. To whom do the boys compare Instructor Tamori?
5. What does Mrs. Tazaki want to swap her sweet potatoes for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel begins before the war when H is still a young boy, and ends after the war with H making a living. As a result of the war, is H forced to grow up more quickly? If the war had not happened, how do you think his childhood and teen years would have differed?
Essay Topic 2
The characters of the novel are predominately male. How are women portrayed in "A Boy Called H," and how are they viewed by our protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Argue both sides of the following statement: "During wartime, media censorship is an acceptable measure." Provide examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)