|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does H dislike?
2. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
3. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
4. Where does Mr. Naito live?
5. Why does Morio quit his job at the fire station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue both sides of the following statement: "During wartime, media censorship is an acceptable measure." Provide examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of the novel, we not only see the devastating impact that the war had on Kobe, but also the toll it took on H's emotional state. Discuss in detail the evidence of his emotional deterioration.
Essay Topic 3
The most dire situations can sometimes bring out the best in people. Discuss the theme of compassion as it relates to the story.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)