|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
2. What one item do H and Toshiko take with them from their burning home?
3. What message does Mr. Kawano send to H?
4. In Chapter 37, what makes H furious?
5. Where does Mr. Naito live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War breeds suspicion, paranoia, and distrust. In the novel, we see these concepts exhibited on a global scale as well as within the smaller confines of Kobe. Discuss how these concepts are intensified by:
a) The Japanese military
b) The newspapers
c) Rumors circulating Kobe
Essay Topic 2
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
Essay Topic 3
Who or what is the antagonist of the story? Provide examples to support your argument.
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)