|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishizuka's father give H before they leave?
2. After the end of the war, who replaces the military as the figure of authority?
3. H, Yokota and George go to the farm to get what?
4. What is no longer published in newspapers?
5. To which organization are H and his classmates assigned to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue both sides of the following statement: "During wartime, media censorship is an acceptable measure." Provide examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
War breeds suspicion, paranoia, and distrust. In the novel, we see these concepts exhibited on a global scale as well as within the smaller confines of Kobe. Discuss how these concepts are intensified by:
a) The Japanese military
b) The newspapers
c) Rumors circulating Kobe
Essay Topic 3
Christianity is practiced by many in Japan, including the Senoh family. Prior to and during the war, how is Christianity viewed in the eyes of:
c) Japan as a whole
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)