|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does H plan to win the friendship of American troops?
2. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
3. In Chapter 38, what is happening to many of H's instructors?
4. What does Mrs. Tazaki want to swap her sweet potatoes for?
5. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki had a major effect on the war in the Pacific. Explain how this is made evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
As the war progresses people grow increasingly paranoid. Restrictions are put in place to hinder sabotage and spying. Those living in Japan who are not Japanese are looked at suspiciously. Discuss the plight of foreigners in wartime Japan.
Essay Topic 3
Argue both sides of the following statement: "During wartime, media censorship is an acceptable measure." Provide examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)