|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys intend to do with the rifle club's rifles?
2. Who objects to Toshiko feeding the starving soldier?
3. How does H decide to help with his family's financial problems?
4. What does H do at his new job?
5. What does Ishizuka's father give H before they leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War breeds suspicion, paranoia, and distrust. In the novel, we see these concepts exhibited on a global scale as well as within the smaller confines of Kobe. Discuss how these concepts are intensified by:
a) The Japanese military
b) The newspapers
c) Rumors circulating Kobe
Essay Topic 2
What personality traits and personal strengths did Toshiko, Morio, and H call upon in order to cope with life in war time Japan?
Essay Topic 3
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)