|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
2. Why are the clubs being disbanded?
3. What do the boys intend to do with the rifle club's rifles?
4. How can H's family hear what the family next door says?
5. Which character works for the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Near the end of the novel, we not only see the devastating impact that the war had on Kobe, but also the toll it took on H's emotional state. Discuss in detail the evidence of his emotional deterioration.
Essay Topic 2
What personality traits and personal strengths did Toshiko, Morio, and H call upon in order to cope with life in war time Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the public opinion of the Emperor in pre-war and post-war Japan.
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)