|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does H realize have gone unchanged by the war?
2. What does H decide to study?
3. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
4. How can H's family hear what the family next door says?
5. In the Kobe General Election, for which party is Sanzo Nosaka running?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, H observes the actions and reactions of the people closest to him. The manner in which these characters handle situations leading up to and during the war affects their relationships with the young, impressionable H. Choose a character from the novel and discuss how a) the events of the war affected their relationship with H, and b) how they personally influenced H's opinions of the war.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the public opinion of the Emperor in pre-war and post-war Japan.
Essay Topic 3
What personality traits and personal strengths did Toshiko, Morio, and H call upon in order to cope with life in war time Japan?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)