|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
2. Why is the English language banned?
3. What do H and his friends do when "words of enemy origin" are not allowed?
4. Why are H and Yoshiko going on a train?
5. Why does Toshiko approve of Donchan and H's friendship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
2. Of all the things in the house, including his precious books, why does H try to save his father's sewing machine?
3. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
4. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
5. Is H's new job in Chapter 50 a good fit for him?
6. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
7. What are war bonds?
8. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
9. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
10. What happened when Japan did not respond to the Potsdam Declaration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue both sides of the following statement: "During wartime, media censorship is an acceptable measure." Provide examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, H observes the actions and reactions of the people closest to him. The manner in which these characters handle situations leading up to and during the war affects their relationships with the young, impressionable H. Choose a character from the novel and discuss how a) the events of the war affected their relationship with H, and b) how they personally influenced H's opinions of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)