|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of god is Susanowo?
2. What is the main focus of Tojo's tract?
3. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
4. What do H and his friends do when "words of enemy origin" are not allowed?
5. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What terrible event occurs in chapter 39?
2. How does H feel about his teachers being called to the front?
3. Who is Noodles?
4. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
5. What happened when Japan did not respond to the Potsdam Declaration?
6. What makes H understand why Japan lost the war?
7. What good news does H hear in chapter 44?
8. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
9. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
10. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki had a major effect on the war in the Pacific. Explain how this is made evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The novel begins before the war when H is still a young boy, and ends after the war with H making a living. As a result of the war, is H forced to grow up more quickly? If the war had not happened, how do you think his childhood and teen years would have differed?
Essay Topic 3
Christianity is practiced by many in Japan, including the Senoh family. Prior to and during the war, how is Christianity viewed in the eyes of:
c) Japan as a whole
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)