|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
2. What is the main focus of Tojo's tract?
3. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
4. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
5. What is the rumor going around H's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
2. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
3. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
4. What scares H at the campaign speech?
5. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
6. Why are Chinese people being discriminated against in Japan?
7. Is H's new job in Chapter 50 a good fit for him?
8. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
9. What evidence of H's fragile emotional state do we see in chapter 47?
10. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters of the novel are predominately male. How are women portrayed in "A Boy Called H," and how are they viewed by our protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between H and his father with that of H and his mother.
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of the novel, we not only see the devastating impact that the war had on Kobe, but also the toll it took on H's emotional state. Discuss in detail the evidence of his emotional deterioration.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)