|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main focus of Tojo's tract?
2. What is the National Dress Order?
3. Why does Kaneda leave?
4. Why does H get angry at the newspapers?
5. What does H think of Mr. Chin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
2. How does H demonstrate his resourcefulness in Chapter 5?
3. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
4. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
5. What changes are happening at H's school?
6. What are war bonds?
7. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
8. Was H wounded in the war?
9. Why would some Japanese people believe that America is a savage country?
10. How are H and Mrs. Tazaki different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War breeds suspicion, paranoia, and distrust. In the novel, we see these concepts exhibited on a global scale as well as within the smaller confines of Kobe. Discuss how these concepts are intensified by:
a) The Japanese military
b) The newspapers
c) Rumors circulating Kobe
Essay Topic 2
As the war progresses people grow increasingly paranoid. Restrictions are put in place to hinder sabotage and spying. Those living in Japan who are not Japanese are looked at suspiciously. Discuss the plight of foreigners in wartime Japan.
Essay Topic 3
The most dire situations can sometimes bring out the best in people. Discuss the theme of compassion as it relates to the story.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)