Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H learn during his summer?
2. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
3. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
4. Who dies in Chapter 24?
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was H wounded in the war?
2. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
3. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
4. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
5. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
6. What changes are happening at H's school?
7. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
8. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
9. What activities are part of the rifle club?
10. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between H and his father with that of H and his mother.
Essay Topic 2
War breeds suspicion, paranoia, and distrust. In the novel, we see these concepts exhibited on a global scale as well as within the smaller confines of Kobe. Discuss how these concepts are intensified by:
a) The Japanese military
b) The newspapers
c) Rumors circulating Kobe
Essay Topic 3
As the war progresses people grow increasingly paranoid. Restrictions are put in place to hinder sabotage and spying. Those living in Japan who are not Japanese are looked at suspiciously. Discuss the plight of foreigners in wartime Japan.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)