Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H learn during his summer?
2. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
3. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
4. Who dies in Chapter 24?
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was H wounded in the war?
2. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
3. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
4. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
5. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
6. What changes are happening at H's school?
7. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
8. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
9. What activities are part of the rifle club?
10. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
The characters of the novel are predominately male. How are women portrayed in "A Boy Called H," and how are they viewed by our protagonist?
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)