|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
2. What do H and his friends do when "words of enemy origin" are not allowed?
3. What does H learn during his summer?
4. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
5. What happens with H's first shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
2. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
3. What scares H at the campaign speech?
4. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
5. Why does H respect Instructor Hisakado?
6. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
7. Why do H's parents send him and his sister to their grandparents' house?
8. Why would some Japanese people believe that America is a savage country?
9. How does Yoshiko show her love for her brother?
10. What is Morio bothered by in chapter 45?
Essay Topic 1
Near the end of the novel, we not only see the devastating impact that the war had on Kobe, but also the toll it took on H's emotional state. Discuss in detail the evidence of his emotional deterioration.
Essay Topic 2
Argue both sides of the following statement: "During wartime, media censorship is an acceptable measure." Provide examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)