|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are octopus pots also known as?
2. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
3. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
4. Why does Kaneda leave?
5. Why do H and Shingo get off the streetcar one stop early?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Noodles?
2. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
3. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
4. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
5. What are war bonds?
6. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
7. Why would some Japanese people believe that America is a savage country?
8. Why does H respect Instructor Hisakado?
9. H's emotional state is unstable. What does he like to do to cheer himself up?
10. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
Essay Topic 2
Who or what is the antagonist of the story? Provide examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Due to the war, H experiences many things that a normal childhood would not have included. This is especially true of his school life. Discuss how H's school life is affected by the war.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)