|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do H and his friends do when "words of enemy origin" are not allowed?
2. Why does H lurk outside the movie theater instead of going inside?
3. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
4. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
5. What does a record with a red label indicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yoshiko show her love for her brother?
2. What terrible event occurs in chapter 39?
3. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
4. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
5. What happened when Japan did not respond to the Potsdam Declaration?
6. Does H care about school?
7. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
8. Why do H's parents send him and his sister to their grandparents' house?
9. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
10. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
Essay Topic 2
War breeds suspicion, paranoia, and distrust. In the novel, we see these concepts exhibited on a global scale as well as within the smaller confines of Kobe. Discuss how these concepts are intensified by:
a) The Japanese military
b) The newspapers
c) Rumors circulating Kobe
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of the novel, we not only see the devastating impact that the war had on Kobe, but also the toll it took on H's emotional state. Discuss in detail the evidence of his emotional deterioration.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)