Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H learn during his summer?
2. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
3. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
4. Who dies in Chapter 24?
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was H wounded in the war?
2. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
3. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
4. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
5. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
6. What changes are happening at H's school?
7. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
8. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
9. What activities are part of the rifle club?
10. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
Essay Topic 1
Near the end of the novel, we not only see the devastating impact that the war had on Kobe, but also the toll it took on H's emotional state. Discuss in detail the evidence of his emotional deterioration.
Essay Topic 2
Due to the war, H experiences many things that a normal childhood would not have included. This is especially true of his school life. Discuss how H's school life is affected by the war.
Essay Topic 3
What personality traits and personal strengths did Toshiko, Morio, and H call upon in order to cope with life in war time Japan?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)