|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the hardest drill?
2. What are octopus pots also known as?
3. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
4. What is the National Dress Order?
5. At the firing range, why are many of the shooters' bullets missing the target?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
2. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
3. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
4. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
5. Why do the sea and sky make H feel relaxed?
6. In what way do we again see H's resourcefulness in chapter 44?
7. Is H's new job in Chapter 50 a good fit for him?
8. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
9. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
10. What changes are happening at H's school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, we see numerous examples of "blind faith" - Toshiko's undying belief in God, the Japanese's adoration of the Emperor, and the unquestioned belief that Japan will be victorious in the war. Our protagonist, H, seems to be against the grain, as he questions most everything he hears. Is H faithless? Or does H believe in something other than the power of religion, government, or military?
Essay Topic 3
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)