|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
2. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
3. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
4. Who is fond of giving "ear twists" to his students?
5. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the bucket brigades?
2. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
3. H's emotional state is unstable. What does he like to do to cheer himself up?
4. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
5. What changes are happening at H's school?
6. Why is Japan continuing with the anniversary celebration despite the ongoing war with China?
7. How are H and Mrs. Tazaki different?
8. Why does H respect Instructor Hisakado?
9. Why does H suspect that the Japanese army is the real enemy?
10. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1One of H's most prominent characteristics is his resourcefulness, which sometimes leads to trouble. Provide examples of H using his resourcefulness and determine whether or not he has a sense of right and wrong.
Essay Topic 2What personality traits and personal strengths did Toshiko, Morio, and H call upon in order to cope with life in war time Japan?
Essay Topic 3Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)