|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is forbidden on the train?
2. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
3. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
4. What does H draw sketches of during a stop?
5. Why is the English language banned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
2. Is H's new job in Chapter 50 a good fit for him?
3. What is Morio bothered by in chapter 45?
4. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
5. What evidence of H's fragile emotional state do we see in chapter 47?
6. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
7. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
8. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
9. What happened when Japan did not respond to the Potsdam Declaration?
10. What terrible event occurs in chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, H observes the actions and reactions of the people closest to him. The manner in which these characters handle situations leading up to and during the war affects their relationships with the young, impressionable H. Choose a character from the novel and discuss how a) the events of the war affected their relationship with H, and b) how they personally influenced H's opinions of the war.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between H and his father with that of H and his mother.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)