|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies in Chapter 24?
2. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
3. What happens with H's first shot?
4. What is the hardest drill?
5. Who is Kamikera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scares H at the campaign speech?
2. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
3. What is the purpose of the bucket brigades?
4. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
5. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
6. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
7. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
8. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
9. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
10. What does H trying a cigarette for the first time symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, we see numerous examples of "blind faith" - Toshiko's undying belief in God, the Japanese's adoration of the Emperor, and the unquestioned belief that Japan will be victorious in the war. Our protagonist, H, seems to be against the grain, as he questions most everything he hears. Is H faithless? Or does H believe in something other than the power of religion, government, or military?
Essay Topic 2
Christianity is practiced by many in Japan, including the Senoh family. Prior to and during the war, how is Christianity viewed in the eyes of:
c) Japan as a whole
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the public opinion of the Emperor in pre-war and post-war Japan.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)