|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
2. What is the main focus of Tojo's tract?
3. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
4. What does H do to Girly Boy at the bathhouse?
5. What is considered "un-Japanese" at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of all the things in the house, including his precious books, why does H try to save his father's sewing machine?
2. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
3. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
4. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
5. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
6. How are H and Mrs. Tazaki different?
7. What is H's attitude towards school attendance?
8. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
9. What changes occur in Kobe in preparation for the American forces?
10. According to Morio, why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel begins before the war when H is still a young boy, and ends after the war with H making a living. As a result of the war, is H forced to grow up more quickly? If the war had not happened, how do you think his childhood and teen years would have differed?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, we see numerous examples of "blind faith" - Toshiko's undying belief in God, the Japanese's adoration of the Emperor, and the unquestioned belief that Japan will be victorious in the war. Our protagonist, H, seems to be against the grain, as he questions most everything he hears. Is H faithless? Or does H believe in something other than the power of religion, government, or military?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between H and his father with that of H and his mother.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)