|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H's father describe his shop as?
2. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
3. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
4. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
5. What is the National Dress Order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does H trying a cigarette for the first time symbolize?
2. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
3. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
4. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
5. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
6. Why do H's parents send him and his sister to their grandparents' house?
7. What are war bonds?
8. Is H's new job in Chapter 50 a good fit for him?
9. Why do Toshiko and H hide some things under the floor of their house?
10. What activities are part of the rifle club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
Essay Topic 2
The novel begins before the war when H is still a young boy, and ends after the war with H making a living. As a result of the war, is H forced to grow up more quickly? If the war had not happened, how do you think his childhood and teen years would have differed?
Essay Topic 3
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)