|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
2. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
3. Who dies in Chapter 24?
4. How does H find himself under the line of fire at the firing range?
5. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
2. What changes occur in Kobe in preparation for the American forces?
3. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
4. What changes are happening at H's school?
5. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
6. What are war bonds?
7. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
8. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
9. How does H feel about his teachers being called to the front?
10. Who is Noodles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
Essay Topic 2
Who or what is the antagonist of the story? Provide examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)