|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rule of his mothers is H embarrassed about?
2. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
3. What is considered "un-Japanese" at school?
4. What is the rumor going around H's school?
5. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities are part of the rifle club?
2. What is it about his instructors that disgusts H?
3. Of all the things in the house, including his precious books, why does H try to save his father's sewing machine?
4. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
5. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
6. Why do H's parents send him and his sister to their grandparents' house?
7. Why are Chinese people being discriminated against in Japan?
8. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
9. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
10. In what way do we again see H's resourcefulness in chapter 44?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christianity is practiced by many in Japan, including the Senoh family. Prior to and during the war, how is Christianity viewed in the eyes of:
c) Japan as a whole
Essay Topic 2
The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki had a major effect on the war in the Pacific. Explain how this is made evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between H and his father with that of H and his mother.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)