|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
2. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
3. What is the hardest drill?
4. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
5. Who is Kamikera?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
2. Who is Noodles?
3. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
4. Did H make the right decision by returning to Kobe?
5. Was H wounded in the war?
6. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
7. Why does H object to his mother's act of charity in chapter 46?
8. How does H demonstrate his resourcefulness in Chapter 5?
9. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
10. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Due to the war, H experiences many things that a normal childhood would not have included. This is especially true of his school life. Discuss how H's school life is affected by the war.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between H and his father with that of H and his mother.
Essay Topic 3
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)