|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are octopus pots also known as?
2. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
3. Why does H disapprove of people being anti-British?
4. Why does Kaneda leave?
5. At the firing range, why are many of the shooters' bullets missing the target?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do we again see H's resourcefulness in chapter 44?
2. Why do Toshiko and H hide some things under the floor of their house?
3. Why does H object to his mother's act of charity in chapter 46?
4. Why are Chinese people being discriminated against in Japan?
5. What does H trying a cigarette for the first time symbolize?
6. What is H's attitude towards school attendance?
7. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
8. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
9. Why does H respect Instructor Hisakado?
10. What changes are happening at H's school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the public opinion of the Emperor in pre-war and post-war Japan.
Essay Topic 3
Who or what is the antagonist of the story? Provide examples to support your argument.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)