|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
2. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
3. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
4. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
5. What does H's father describe his shop as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
2. What good news does H hear in chapter 44?
3. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
4. Why would some Japanese people believe that America is a savage country?
5. How does H demonstrate his resourcefulness in Chapter 5?
6. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
7. Why do H's parents send him and his sister to their grandparents' house?
8. Why do the sea and sky make H feel relaxed?
9. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
10. Who is Noodles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
Essay Topic 2
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
Essay Topic 3
Christianity is practiced by many in Japan, including the Senoh family. Prior to and during the war, how is Christianity viewed in the eyes of:
c) Japan as a whole
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)