|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
2. What does H's father describe his shop as?
3. Why does Toshiko approve of Donchan and H's friendship?
4. Where does Ishizuka live?
5. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
2. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
3. What does H trying a cigarette for the first time symbolize?
4. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
5. Who is Noodles?
6. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
7. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
8. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
9. Why does H respect Instructor Hisakado?
10. Is H taking the right steps toward healing?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between H and his father with that of H and his mother.
Essay Topic 2
The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki had a major effect on the war in the Pacific. Explain how this is made evident in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
As the war progresses people grow increasingly paranoid. Restrictions are put in place to hinder sabotage and spying. Those living in Japan who are not Japanese are looked at suspiciously. Discuss the plight of foreigners in wartime Japan.
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)