|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two sports are banned?
2. Why does Kaneda leave?
3. Why does Toshiko approve of Donchan and H's friendship?
4. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
5. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Japan continuing with the anniversary celebration despite the ongoing war with China?
2. Does H care about school?
3. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
4. Did H make the right decision by returning to Kobe?
5. What scares H at the campaign speech?
6. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
7. What terrible event occurs in chapter 39?
8. How are H and Mrs. Tazaki different?
9. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
10. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
Essay Topic 1
War breeds suspicion, paranoia, and distrust. In the novel, we see these concepts exhibited on a global scale as well as within the smaller confines of Kobe. Discuss how these concepts are intensified by:
a) The Japanese military
b) The newspapers
c) Rumors circulating Kobe
Essay Topic 2
Christianity is practiced by many in Japan, including the Senoh family. Prior to and during the war, how is Christianity viewed in the eyes of:
c) Japan as a whole
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)