|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are octopus pots also known as?
2. Why does H return to the gas station after reporting what he saw?
3. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
4. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
5. What does H think of Mr. Chin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does H respect Instructor Hisakado?
2. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
3. What is it about his instructors that disgusts H?
4. In what way do we again see H's resourcefulness in chapter 44?
5. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
6. What good news does H hear in chapter 44?
7. How does H demonstrate his resourcefulness in Chapter 5?
8. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
9. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
10. Who is Noodles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel begins before the war when H is still a young boy, and ends after the war with H making a living. As a result of the war, is H forced to grow up more quickly? If the war had not happened, how do you think his childhood and teen years would have differed?
Essay Topic 2
Due to the war, H experiences many things that a normal childhood would not have included. This is especially true of his school life. Discuss how H's school life is affected by the war.
Essay Topic 3
The most dire situations can sometimes bring out the best in people. Discuss the theme of compassion as it relates to the story.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)