|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does H believe Germany is not to be trusted?
2. Why are H and Yoshiko going on a train?
3. After seeing the condition of his grandparents home, how does H feel?
4. What two sports are banned?
5. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
2. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
3. What are war bonds?
4. Is H taking the right steps toward healing?
5. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
6. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
7. How are H and Mrs. Tazaki different?
8. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
9. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
10. Was H wounded in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What personality traits and personal strengths did Toshiko, Morio, and H call upon in order to cope with life in war time Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
Essay Topic 3
The novel begins before the war when H is still a young boy, and ends after the war with H making a living. As a result of the war, is H forced to grow up more quickly? If the war had not happened, how do you think his childhood and teen years would have differed?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)