|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Uncle Hadano unable to go home?
2. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
3. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
4. What does H do to Girly Boy at the bathhouse?
5. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
2. Was H wounded in the war?
3. What changes are happening at H's school?
4. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
5. What is Morio bothered by in chapter 45?
6. What good news does H hear in chapter 44?
7. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
8. Is H taking the right steps toward healing?
9. What terrible event occurs in chapter 39?
10. According to Morio, why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
Essay Topic 2
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
Essay Topic 3
The characters of the novel are predominately male. How are women portrayed in "A Boy Called H," and how are they viewed by our protagonist?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)