|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
2. What does Toshiko do for the stranded bus passengers during the flood?
3. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
4. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
5. What rationed item is H annoyed by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would some Japanese people believe that America is a savage country?
2. What is it about his instructors that disgusts H?
3. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
4. What good news does H hear in chapter 44?
5. Was H wounded in the war?
6. In what way do we again see H's resourcefulness in chapter 44?
7. What is the purpose of the bucket brigades?
8. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
9. Who is Noodles?
10. What terrible event occurs in chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
Essay Topic 2
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
Essay Topic 3
The most dire situations can sometimes bring out the best in people. Discuss the theme of compassion as it relates to the story.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)