|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens with H's first shot?
2. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
3. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
4. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
5. What is the main focus of Tojo's tract?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
2. What is H's attitude towards school attendance?
3. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
4. H's emotional state is unstable. What does he like to do to cheer himself up?
5. What are war bonds?
6. Is H taking the right steps toward healing?
7. What makes H understand why Japan lost the war?
8. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
9. What is the purpose of the bucket brigades?
10. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
Essay Topic 2
During the turbulent war, H turns to his art on numerous occasions. Discuss times when H is able to use art to improve a situation or help him overcome an obstacle.
Essay Topic 3
The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki had a major effect on the war in the Pacific. Explain how this is made evident in the novel.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)