|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
2. What does H decide to start a business doing?
3. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
4. What two sports are banned?
5. What does Toshiko need to convince her neighbors to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
2. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
3. What is it about his instructors that disgusts H?
4. What activities are part of the rifle club?
5. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
6. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
7. According to Morio, why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor?
8. Why are Chinese people being discriminated against in Japan?
9. Why do the sea and sky make H feel relaxed?
10. How are H and Mrs. Tazaki different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What personality traits and personal strengths did Toshiko, Morio, and H call upon in order to cope with life in war time Japan?
Essay Topic 2
As the war progresses people grow increasingly paranoid. Restrictions are put in place to hinder sabotage and spying. Those living in Japan who are not Japanese are looked at suspiciously. Discuss the plight of foreigners in wartime Japan.
Essay Topic 3
At various points in the novel the Senoh family members are separated from one another. Describe the circumstances surrounding these separations and explain how they affected the family.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)