|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kaneda leave?
2. What is Instructor Tamori's job?
3. Who dies in Chapter 24?
4. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
5. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does H care about school?
2. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
3. Why are Chinese people being discriminated against in Japan?
4. What happened when Japan did not respond to the Potsdam Declaration?
5. What changes are happening at H's school?
6. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
7. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
8. What activities are part of the rifle club?
9. Of all the things in the house, including his precious books, why does H try to save his father's sewing machine?
10. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast wartime Kobe with the countryside where H's family lives.
Essay Topic 2
Due to the war, H experiences many things that a normal childhood would not have included. This is especially true of his school life. Discuss how H's school life is affected by the war.
Essay Topic 3
The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki had a major effect on the war in the Pacific. Explain how this is made evident in the novel.
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)