|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Japan experiencing a shortage of?
(a) Farm equipment.
2. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
(a) Kobe will never be bombed.
(b) If the house collapses from a bomb, they would be trapped.
(c) The war is over.
(d) Uncle Hadano's shelter is big enough for their family.
3. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
(a) Yoshiko feels happy because her brother let her play hide and seek with his friends.
(b) Yoshiko feels hungry.
(c) Yoshiko feels sad because her brother and his friends deserted her.
(d) Yoshiko feels scared.
4. Where does Ishizuka live?
(a) Next door.
(b) Above a bookstore.
(c) In a dorm.
(d) Behind the school.
5. What happens with H's first shot?
(a) H completely misses the target and becomes embarrassed.
(b) H hits another shooter.
(c) H's gun misfires.
(d) H hits the bulls-eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
2. What does H hear the local housewives say about the operators of those boxes?
3. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
4. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
5. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H feel about his teachers being called to the front?
2. Why do H's parents send him and his sister to their grandparents' house?
3. What changes occur in Kobe in preparation for the American forces?
4. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
5. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
6. Is H taking the right steps toward healing?
7. How does Yoshiko show her love for her brother?
8. Why do Toshiko and H hide some things under the floor of their house?
9. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
10. In what way do we again see H's resourcefulness in chapter 44?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)