|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are octopus pots also known as?
(a) Squid puddles.
(b) Chamber pots.
(d) Fish bowls.
2. What does Toshiko do for the stranded bus passengers during the flood?
(a) Toshiko invites them into her home until a new bus arrives.
(b) Toshiko brings coffee and biscuits to those waiting on the bus.
(c) Toshiko reads the passengers a passage from the bible.
(d) Toshiko offers the female passengers a change of clothing.
3. What is the Hoanden?
(a) The Hoanden is the celebration of the Emperor and Empress.
(b) The Hoanden is the official scroll containing the words of the god Susanowo.
(c) The Hoanden is the official portrait of the Emperor.
(d) The Hoanden is a concrete structure that houses The official royal portraits of the Emperor and Empress.
4. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
(a) The neighbor's house.
(b) The library.
(c) The bathhouse.
(d) For a walk.
5. Why does Kaneda leave?
(a) Kaneda misunderstands Toshiko's intentions.
(b) Kaneda is tired of being called a "Chosen" by everyone.
(c) Toshiko won't stop badgering Kaneda into accepting the "love of Christ."
(d) Kaneda is homesick and decides to return to Korea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
2. What does H learn during his summer?
3. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
4. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
5. In Chapter 23, What does H do instead of studying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the sea and sky make H feel relaxed?
2. What is Morio bothered by in chapter 45?
3. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
4. What good news does H hear in chapter 44?
5. What are war bonds?
6. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
7. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
8. Was H wounded in the war?
9. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
10. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)