|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The torpedo.
(b) The bellycrawl.
(c) The pushup run.
(d) The butterfly.
2. What are octopus pots also known as?
(b) Squid puddles.
(c) Fish bowls.
(d) Chamber pots.
3. What rationed item is H annoyed by?
4. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
(a) To confuse the reader.
(b) To make the enemy look bad.
(c) To build national morale.
(d) To pass on accurate information.
5. What is the rumor going around the school in Chapter 26?
(a) The school will close down to prepare for impending air raids.
(b) Instructor Tamori will be retiring at the end of the school year.
(c) The rifle club with disband.
(d) English language classes will no longer be taught in schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
2. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
3. What happens on December 8th?
4. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
5. What is the main focus of Tojo's tract?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Noodles?
2. What makes H understand why Japan lost the war?
3. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
4. How does H show his poor judgment in Chapter 28?
5. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
6. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
7. What are war bonds?
8. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
9. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
10. What does H trying a cigarette for the first time symbolize?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)