|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
(a) The anniversary celebration is proving to be expensive.
(b) The war with China.
(c) The public are not in the mood for competition with other countries.
(d) Lack of athletes.
2. What is forbidden on the train?
(a) Bringing your own food on the train.
(b) Talking to others.
(c) Looking out the window at the scenery.
3. Why does H run away when he hears tambourines and drums approaching?
(a) It means that Christian street preachers are coming.
(b) H wants to avoid his mother at all costs.
(c) H dislikes all forms of music.
(d) H fears that the tambourine and drum players will ask him to join in.
4. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
(a) It is inevitable.
(b) It has already started.
(c) It will never happen.
(d) It might happen.
5. Why does Toshiko not want to buy the gas masks?
(a) Gas masks are poorly made.
(b) Gas masks are heavy.
(c) Gas masks are unattractive.
(d) Gas masks are expensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
2. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
3. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
4. What happens on December 8th?
5. What is Japan experiencing a shortage of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Toshiko and H hide some things under the floor of their house?
2. Why do H's parents send him and his sister to their grandparents' house?
3. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
4. In what way do we again see H's resourcefulness in chapter 44?
5. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
6. How does Yoshiko show her love for her brother?
7. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
8. According to Morio, why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor?
9. Is H's new job in Chapter 50 a good fit for him?
10. Who is Noodles?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)