|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on H's birthday?
(a) A pastor is arrested.
(b) Morio is called up to work in a factory.
(c) Toshiko is investigated because of her religious beliefs.
(d) H takes a tour of the fire station.
2. What is the rumor going around the school in Chapter 26?
(a) Instructor Tamori will be retiring at the end of the school year.
(b) English language classes will no longer be taught in schools.
(c) The rifle club with disband.
(d) The school will close down to prepare for impending air raids.
3. What do H and his friends do when "words of enemy origin" are not allowed?
(a) Use substitute words.
(b) Rat out classmates who don't follow the rules.
(c) Hold a protest.
(d) Use the words anyways.
4. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Read from the Bible.
(b) Sing her favorite hymn.
(c) Do the dishes and make his bed.
(d) Practice the tambourine.
5. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
(a) It might happen.
(b) It will never happen.
(c) It is inevitable.
(d) It has already started.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the National Dress Order?
2. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
3. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
4. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
5. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yoshiko show her love for her brother?
2. How are H and Mrs. Tazaki different?
3. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
4. What is the purpose of the bucket brigades?
5. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
6. H's emotional state is unstable. What does he like to do to cheer himself up?
7. According to Morio, why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor?
8. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
9. What activities are part of the rifle club?
10. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)