|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
(b) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
(c) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
(d) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
2. What does a record with a red label indicate?
(a) It is made in China.
(b) It is a religious record.
(c) It is a special edition.
(d) It is made in America.
3. What is forbidden on the train?
(a) Looking out the window at the scenery.
(c) Bringing your own food on the train.
(d) Talking to others.
4. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
(b) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
(c) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
(d) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
5. What does H decide to start a business doing?
(a) Stealing matches and selling them to his friends.
(b) Exchanging pictures of "flower cars" with whatever he can get.
(c) Drawing portraits of people at the anniversary celebration.
(d) Decorating the "flower cars" with his drawings in exchange for free rides.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
2. Who is Kamikera?
3. What kind of god is Susanowo?
4. What is the rumor going around H's school?
5. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
2. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
3. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
4. What terrible event occurs in chapter 39?
5. What activities are part of the rifle club?
6. Why would some Japanese people believe that America is a savage country?
7. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
8. Did H make the right decision by returning to Kobe?
9. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
10. What are war bonds?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)