|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kaneda leave?
(a) Kaneda is homesick and decides to return to Korea.
(b) Kaneda misunderstands Toshiko's intentions.
(c) Kaneda is tired of being called a "Chosen" by everyone.
(d) Toshiko won't stop badgering Kaneda into accepting the "love of Christ."
2. What is the Hoanden?
(a) The Hoanden is the official portrait of the Emperor.
(b) The Hoanden is the celebration of the Emperor and Empress.
(c) The Hoanden is a concrete structure that houses The official royal portraits of the Emperor and Empress.
(d) The Hoanden is the official scroll containing the words of the god Susanowo.
3. After seeing the condition of his grandparents home, how does H feel?
4. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) The American military is planning an invasion.
(b) H's family are spies.
(c) H's English teacher is a spy.
(d) The war is over.
5. What rationed item is H annoyed by?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
2. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
3. Why does H finally decide to join the rifle club?
4. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
5. What two sports are banned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does H object to his mother's act of charity in chapter 46?
2. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
3. What are war bonds?
4. Is H taking the right steps toward healing?
5. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
6. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
7. How does H feel about his teachers being called to the front?
8. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
9. What makes H understand why Japan lost the war?
10. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)