|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
(a) Kobe will never be bombed.
(b) Uncle Hadano's shelter is big enough for their family.
(c) The war is over.
(d) If the house collapses from a bomb, they would be trapped.
2. Why is the English language banned?
(a) It violates the spirit of the time.
(b) To promote the proper usage of Japanese in schools.
(c) English is difficult to read.
(d) Englishmen are traders.
3. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
(a) H and his mother are regular customers.
(b) H does a trick for the restaurant owner.
(c) H offers advice that improves a dish.
(d) H and his mother look hungry and poor.
4. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
(b) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
(c) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
(d) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
5. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) H's family are spies.
(b) The war is over.
(c) H's English teacher is a spy.
(d) The American military is planning an invasion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
2. Why does Toshiko approve of Donchan and H's friendship?
3. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
4. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
5. What is the Hoanden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence of H's fragile emotional state do we see in chapter 47?
2. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
3. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
4. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
5. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
6. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
7. Why do H's parents send him and his sister to their grandparents' house?
8. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
9. What makes H understand why Japan lost the war?
10. What changes are happening at H's school?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)