|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
(a) Lack of athletes.
(b) The war with China.
(c) The anniversary celebration is proving to be expensive.
(d) The public are not in the mood for competition with other countries.
2. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
(a) It might happen.
(b) It is inevitable.
(c) It will never happen.
(d) It has already started.
3. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
(a) Someone will kick them from behind.
(b) They will spread trachoma.
(c) Their wish will come true.
(d) They will get a heart attack.
4. What is the rumor going around the school in Chapter 26?
(a) English language classes will no longer be taught in schools.
(b) Instructor Tamori will be retiring at the end of the school year.
(c) The rifle club with disband.
(d) The school will close down to prepare for impending air raids.
5. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
(a) Shige-san is known to be a lazy and irresponsible worker.
(b) Shige-san acts inappropriately towards Toshiko when Moiro is not around.
(c) Shige-san has a bad leg and his body tilts to one side when he walks.
(d) Shige-san is very poor at math, and is unable to perform the simplist calculations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kaneda leave?
2. What is forbidden on the train?
3. Why does Toshiko approve of Donchan and H's friendship?
4. What is the rumor going around H's school?
5. Why does H get angry at the newspapers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
2. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
3. According to Morio, why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor?
4. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
5. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
6. What is Morio bothered by in chapter 45?
7. How does Yoshiko show her love for her brother?
8. H's emotional state is unstable. What does he like to do to cheer himself up?
9. Why does H object to his mother's act of charity in chapter 46?
10. Why would some Japanese people believe that America is a savage country?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)