Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H learn during his summer?
(a) A Japanese war secret.
(b) The Hiroshima dialect.
(c) How to steer a boat.
(d) How to mend socks.
2. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
(b) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
(c) He steals money from his mother's purse.
(d) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
3. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
(a) Yoshiko has told Mitchan that H likes her.
(b) Mitchan sees H in his childish pajamas.
(c) H is convinced that Mitchan has seen his map.
(d) Mitchan is rude to H.
4. Who dies in Chapter 24?
(d) Admiral Yamamoto.
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) A hail storm.
(b) An air raid alert.
(c) An angry Instructor Tamori.
(d) H's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
2. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
3. Who is fond of giving "ear twists" to his students?
4. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
5. What puzzles H about his teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was H wounded in the war?
2. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
3. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
4. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
5. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
6. What changes are happening at H's school?
7. How does H act selfishly in chapter 36?
8. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
9. What activities are part of the rifle club?
10. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)