|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of god is Susanowo?
(a) Susanowo is a benevolent god.
(b) Susanowo is a violent god.
(c) Susanowo is an unruly god.
(d) Susanowo is an unforgiving god.
2. What does H hear the local housewives say about the operators of those boxes?
(a) The operators are not to be trusted.
(b) The operators often smell because they never visit the bathhouse.
(c) The operators overcharge.
(d) The operators will sometimes run off with children.
3. Why does Yoshiko take the broken fork?
(a) Yoshiko wants to impress her mother by doing something nice.
(b) Yoshiko secretly uses chopsticks, so it doesn't matter to her what fork she is given.
(c) Yoshiko thinks H should not have to use a broken fork.
(d) Yoshiko is scared of her brother.
4. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
(a) The boys caught seven fish for dinner.
(b) The boys are all safe.
(c) Mr. Suzuki's boat is not ruined.
(d) The boys have impressed Mr. Suzuki with their boating skills.
5. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
(a) H and his family will move to the country.
(b) Morio will protest in the streets.
(c) The number of fires will increase.
(d) The newspapers will finally tell the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What puzzles H about his teacher?
2. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
3. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
4. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
5. Why does H get angry at the newspapers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
2. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
3. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
4. How does H show his poor judgment in Chapter 28?
5. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
6. What does H trying a cigarette for the first time symbolize?
7. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
8. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
9. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
10. Why do the sea and sky make H feel relaxed?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)