|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Morio's apprentice, Shige, crying when H returns home from school one day?
(a) Morio yelled at Shige for measuring a garment incorrectly.
(b) Morio has decided to let Shige go.
(c) Shige has been called up to the army.
(d) Shige pricked his fingers with a sewing needle.
2. What happens on December 8th?
(a) Japan and America sign a peace treaty.
(b) Japan attacks Pearl Harbor.
(c) America attacks Kobe.
(d) America attacks Hiroshima.
3. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
(a) To pass on accurate information.
(b) To build national morale.
(c) To make the enemy look bad.
(d) To confuse the reader.
4. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
(b) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
(c) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
(d) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
5. What does Toshiko do for the stranded bus passengers during the flood?
(a) Toshiko offers the female passengers a change of clothing.
(b) Toshiko invites them into her home until a new bus arrives.
(c) Toshiko brings coffee and biscuits to those waiting on the bus.
(d) Toshiko reads the passengers a passage from the bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
2. How does H find himself under the line of fire at the firing range?
3. Where does Ishizuka live?
4. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
5. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence of H's fragile emotional state do we see in chapter 47?
2. Is H's new job in Chapter 50 a good fit for him?
3. What happened when Japan did not respond to the Potsdam Declaration?
4. What is H's attitude towards school attendance?
5. What scares H at the campaign speech?
6. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
7. Why does H respect Instructor Hisakado?
8. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
9. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
10. Is H taking the right steps toward healing?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)