|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens with H's first shot?
(a) H hits another shooter.
(b) H completely misses the target and becomes embarrassed.
(c) H's gun misfires.
(d) H hits the bulls-eye.
2. Why do H and Shingo get off the streetcar one stop early?
(a) H and Shingo want to visit their friend.
(b) H and Shingo want to eat some noodles.
(c) H and Shingo don't want to be seen by their neighbors.
(d) H and Shingo enjoy walking.
3. Who is rescued by a German military unit?
(d) Prime Minister Tojo.
4. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The pushup run.
(b) The torpedo.
(c) The bellycrawl.
(d) The butterfly.
5. Why does H finally decide to join the rifle club?
(a) H is bored.
(b) H wants protection from Tamori.
(c) H wants to learn how to protect his family.
(d) H wants to be best friends with Furuta.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, What does H do instead of studying?
2. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
3. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
4. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does H care about school?
2. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
3. Of all the things in the house, including his precious books, why does H try to save his father's sewing machine?
4. What does H trying a cigarette for the first time symbolize?
5. What terrible event occurs in chapter 39?
6. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
7. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
8. What is it about his instructors that disgusts H?
9. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
10. Why does H suspect that the Japanese army is the real enemy?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)