|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
(a) Refuse to wear the National Dress.
(b) Steal food rations from her neigbors.
(c) Spy on the Japanese military.
(d) Have an affair while Tamori was away.
2. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
(a) H and his mother look hungry and poor.
(b) H and his mother are regular customers.
(c) H offers advice that improves a dish.
(d) H does a trick for the restaurant owner.
3. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) A hail storm.
(b) An angry Instructor Tamori.
(c) H's mother.
(d) An air raid alert.
4. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
(a) H must take over at the air raid drills.
(b) Association members stop by to check on her and bring sweet buns and candies.
(c) Toshiko spends three weeks in hospital.
(d) Morio quits his job at the fire station to look after her.
5. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
(a) H thinks he will lose the use of his arm if he does not see a doctor.
(b) He just wants to make things difficult for his mother.
(c) The bone setter has a reputation of being mean to young boys.
(d) The doctor gives out candy to his patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
2. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
3. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
4. What happens on H's birthday?
5. Where does Ishizuka live?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
2. Is H's new job in Chapter 50 a good fit for him?
3. Was H wounded in the war?
4. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
5. How does H show his poor judgment in Chapter 28?
6. What scares H at the campaign speech?
7. What is the purpose of the bucket brigades?
8. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
9. What changes occur in Kobe in preparation for the American forces?
10. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)