|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H decide to start a business doing?
(a) Exchanging pictures of "flower cars" with whatever he can get.
(b) Stealing matches and selling them to his friends.
(c) Drawing portraits of people at the anniversary celebration.
(d) Decorating the "flower cars" with his drawings in exchange for free rides.
2. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The butterfly.
(b) The torpedo.
(c) The bellycrawl.
(d) The pushup run.
3. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
(a) National defence.
(b) Religious unions.
(c) Japanese military.
(d) Education Ministry.
4. What is zosui?
(a) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
(b) H's favorite dessert.
(c) A Japanese spy.
(d) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
5. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
(a) Morio did business with American and British people prior to the war.
(b) Morio is caught spying from the roof of the fire station.
(c) Morio refused to purchase a gas mask.
(d) Morio stole some rationed goods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
2. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
3. What is the rumor going around the school in Chapter 26?
4. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
5. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
2. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
3. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
4. Why are Chinese people being discriminated against in Japan?
5. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
6. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
7. What changes occur in Kobe in preparation for the American forces?
8. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
9. Was H wounded in the war?
10. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)