|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is zosui?
(a) A Japanese spy.
(b) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
(c) H's favorite dessert.
(d) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
2. In Chapter 23, What does H do instead of studying?
(a) Play outside.
(b) Read the newspaper.
(c) Build model airplanes.
(d) Spy on the neighbors.
3. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
(a) H steals a pair of riding boots.
(b) H takes a horse out for a secret ride.
(c) The club is banning all new students.
(d) H bites one of the other club members.
4. Who is rescued by a German military unit?
(b) Prime Minister Tojo.
5. What happens with H's first shot?
(a) H's gun misfires.
(b) H hits the bulls-eye.
(c) H hits another shooter.
(d) H completely misses the target and becomes embarrassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
2. What kind of god is Susanowo?
3. What happens on December 8th?
4. Why does H lurk outside the movie theater instead of going inside?
5. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
2. Of all the things in the house, including his precious books, why does H try to save his father's sewing machine?
3. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
4. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
5. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
6. Was H wounded in the war?
7. Did H make the right decision by returning to Kobe?
8. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
9. How does H demonstrate his resourcefulness in Chapter 5?
10. What terrible event occurs in chapter 39?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)