|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
(a) Uncle Hadano's shelter is big enough for their family.
(b) Kobe will never be bombed.
(c) If the house collapses from a bomb, they would be trapped.
(d) The war is over.
2. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
(a) H spys on the military and sells the information to his friends.
(b) H decides to give up sketching anything but sumo wrestlers.
(c) H decides to learn a new skill to help his country.
(d) H disobeys any new law that is made.
3. Why is Uncle Hadano unable to go home?
(a) His bicycle has a flat tire.
(b) His home has washed away with the flood.
(c) The road is blocked with a herd of cattle.
(d) The bridge has washed out.
4. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
(a) It is inevitable.
(b) It has already started.
(c) It will never happen.
(d) It might happen.
5. What is Instructor Tamori's job?
(a) Military trainer.
(b) Head of the rifle club.
(c) Homeroom teacher.
(d) English teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is fond of giving "ear twists" to his students?
2. What do H and his friends do when "words of enemy origin" are not allowed?
3. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
4. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
5. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does H object to his mother's act of charity in chapter 46?
2. How does H feel about his teachers being called to the front?
3. What scares H at the campaign speech?
4. What makes H understand why Japan lost the war?
5. What is the Tripartite Alliance? According to Morio, how could it make things worse for Japan?
6. Why do the sea and sky make H feel relaxed?
7. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
8. What changes are happening at H's school?
9. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
10. Does H care about school?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)