|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) The American military is planning an invasion.
(b) H's English teacher is a spy.
(c) H's family are spies.
(d) The war is over.
2. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
(a) Morio stole some rationed goods.
(b) Morio refused to purchase a gas mask.
(c) Morio did business with American and British people prior to the war.
(d) Morio is caught spying from the roof of the fire station.
3. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
(b) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
(c) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
(d) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
4. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
(a) Yoshiko feels scared.
(b) Yoshiko feels sad because her brother and his friends deserted her.
(c) Yoshiko feels hungry.
(d) Yoshiko feels happy because her brother let her play hide and seek with his friends.
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) H's mother.
(b) An angry Instructor Tamori.
(c) An air raid alert.
(d) A hail storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
2. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
3. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
4. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
5. What are octopus pots also known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Japan did not respond to the Potsdam Declaration?
2. How does H show his poor judgment in Chapter 28?
3. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
4. What makes H understand why Japan lost the war?
5. Why does H suspect that the Japanese army is the real enemy?
6. What is it about his instructors that disgusts H?
7. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
8. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
9. Why do the sea and sky make H feel relaxed?
10. What changes occur in Kobe in preparation for the American forces?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)