|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
(a) H and his family will move to the country.
(b) Morio will protest in the streets.
(c) The number of fires will increase.
(d) The newspapers will finally tell the truth.
2. Why does H believe Germany is not to be trusted?
(a) A German tourist stole his uncle's bicycle.
(b) H secretly read an anti-German newspaper article.
(c) The German army has attacked Japan in the past.
(d) Germany is betraying Japan when Japan needs them the most.
3. After seeing the condition of his grandparents home, how does H feel?
4. What is forbidden on the train?
(a) Talking to others.
(b) Bringing your own food on the train.
(d) Looking out the window at the scenery.
5. What is zosui?
(a) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
(b) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
(c) H's favorite dessert.
(d) A Japanese spy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rumor going around H's school?
2. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
3. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
4. Why does H run away when he hears tambourines and drums approaching?
5. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Toshiko and H hide some things under the floor of their house?
2. Why does H object to his mother's act of charity in chapter 46?
3. What does H trying a cigarette for the first time symbolize?
4. Does H care about school?
5. How does H demonstrate his resourcefulness in Chapter 5?
6. Morio spends many days repairing his sewing machine, even though it seems like a lost cause by others. What does this say about Morio's character?
7. How are H and Mrs. Tazaki different?
8. Did H make the right decision by returning to Kobe?
9. How does Toshiko help the stranded flood victims?
10. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)