|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does H believe Germany is not to be trusted?
(a) A German tourist stole his uncle's bicycle.
(b) H secretly read an anti-German newspaper article.
(c) The German army has attacked Japan in the past.
(d) Germany is betraying Japan when Japan needs them the most.
2. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
(a) H will move in with his grandparents.
(b) H will join the church choir.
(c) H will join the army.
(d) H will no longer be a child.
3. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) The American military is planning an invasion.
(b) H's family are spies.
(c) The war is over.
(d) H's English teacher is a spy.
4. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) Human beings.
(c) The Devil.
5. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
(a) The newspapers will finally tell the truth.
(b) H and his family will move to the country.
(c) The number of fires will increase.
(d) Morio will protest in the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is rescued by a German military unit?
2. What does H hear the local housewives say about the operators of those boxes?
3. What does a record with a red label indicate?
4. Why does Toshiko not want to buy the gas masks?
5. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
2. Does H care about school?
3. Is H taking the right steps toward healing?
4. How does Yoshiko show her love for her brother?
5. Why do Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto help H graduate?
6. What good news does H hear in chapter 44?
7. What is it about his instructors that disgusts H?
8. What do the soldier's straw sandals lead H to conclude?
9. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
10. Did H make the right decision by returning to Kobe?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)