|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is fond of giving "ear twists" to his students?
(a) Tan Wantanabe.
(b) Mr. Tamori.
(c) Mr. Hisakado.
2. What does H learn during his summer?
(a) A Japanese war secret.
(b) How to steer a boat.
(c) How to mend socks.
(d) The Hiroshima dialect.
3. At the firing range, why are many of the shooters' bullets missing the target?
(a) The shooters are taking too long to aim.
(b) The shooters are inexperienced.
(c) The shooters are blind.
(d) The target is too far away.
4. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
(b) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
(c) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
(d) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
5. What happens with H's first shot?
(a) H's gun misfires.
(b) H hits the bulls-eye.
(c) H completely misses the target and becomes embarrassed.
(d) H hits another shooter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yoshiko take the broken fork?
2. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
3. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
4. What does H hear the local housewives say about the operators of those boxes?
5. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the meaning of the phoenix relate to H?
2. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
3. Why does H suspect that the Japanese army is the real enemy?
4. What good news does H hear in chapter 44?
5. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
6. What does H trying a cigarette for the first time symbolize?
7. How does H feel about his teachers being called to the front?
8. What does Toshiko struggle with in Chapter 19?
9. How are H and Mrs. Tazaki different?
10. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)