|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does H return to the gas station after reporting what he saw?
(a) H needs to retrieve his bag that he dropped after discovering the body.
(b) H needs to show the police where the body is.
(c) H doesn't want Girly Boy to be left alone.
(d) H is worried that someone will find Girly Boy and do harm to his body.
2. What is zosui?
(a) H's favorite dessert.
(b) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
(c) A Japanese spy.
(d) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
3. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
(a) H will join the army.
(b) H will join the church choir.
(c) H will no longer be a child.
(d) H will move in with his grandparents.
4. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
(b) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
(c) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
(d) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
5. Why does H finally decide to join the rifle club?
(a) H is bored.
(b) H wants to be best friends with Furuta.
(c) H wants protection from Tamori.
(d) H wants to learn how to protect his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
2. Who dies in Chapter 24?
3. Who is rescued by a German military unit?
4. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
5. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities are part of the rifle club?
2. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
3. What is H's attitude towards school attendance?
4. How does H demonstrate his resourcefulness in Chapter 5?
5. What scares H at the campaign speech?
6. Why would some Japanese people believe that America is a savage country?
7. Why does H suspect that the Japanese army is the real enemy?
8. How does Yoshiko show her love for her brother?
9. What signs of a deteriorating economy are evident in Chapter 15?
10. Does H care about school?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)