|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
(b) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
(c) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
(d) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
2. What is zosui?
(a) A Japanese spy.
(b) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
(c) H's favorite dessert.
(d) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
3. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
(a) Japanese military.
(b) National defence.
(c) Religious unions.
(d) Education Ministry.
4. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
(b) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
(c) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
(d) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
5. Why does H disapprove of people being anti-British?
(a) H's best friend is British
(b) H's favorite music comes from Britain.
(c) H has family living in Britain.
(d) H's father has many British customers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
2. Why does Toshiko not want to buy the gas masks?
3. What does H hear the local housewives say about the operators of those boxes?
4. Why does H return to the gas station after reporting what he saw?
5. What is forbidden on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yasuo's father not angry when the boys take the boat?
2. Is Instructor Tamori a popular teacher at H's school?
3. Of all the things in the house, including his precious books, why does H try to save his father's sewing machine?
4. In what ways does H's bed wetting embarrass him?
5. How does H demonstrate his resourcefulness in Chapter 5?
6. Does H care about school?
7. Why does H respect Instructor Hisakado?
8. What is H's attitude towards school attendance?
9. Is H taking the right steps toward healing?
10. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)