|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
(a) Morio quits his job at the fire station to look after her.
(b) H must take over at the air raid drills.
(c) Toshiko spends three weeks in hospital.
(d) Association members stop by to check on her and bring sweet buns and candies.
2. Why does H get angry at the newspapers?
(a) The newspapers do not report the fatality in the bombing raid.
(b) The newspapers ignore the hardwork of Kobe's women.
(c) The newspapers publish a story falsely incriminating one of Moiro's friends.
(d) The newspapers lie and say that America is on the brink of surrendering.
3. What happens on H's birthday?
(a) Morio is called up to work in a factory.
(b) H takes a tour of the fire station.
(c) Toshiko is investigated because of her religious beliefs.
(d) A pastor is arrested.
4. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
(a) The library.
(b) The neighbor's house.
(c) For a walk.
(d) The bathhouse.
5. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
(a) Japanese military.
(b) National defence.
(c) Religious unions.
(d) Education Ministry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
2. What does Hayashi warn H not to do?
3. Why does Toshiko not want to buy the gas masks?
4. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
5. What puzzles H about his teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what changes in lifestyle do H's parents have to make because of the war?
2. Why does H doubt that the emperor is a god?
3. How does H turn a bad situation into a good one in Chapter 13?
4. What acts of kindness does H experience at the school?
5. Why would some Japanese people believe that America is a savage country?
6. Why are Chinese people being discriminated against in Japan?
7. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
8. Is H's new job in Chapter 50 a good fit for him?
9. What is Morio bothered by in chapter 45?
10. Should Toshiko allow H to read books besides the Bible?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)