|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does H believe Germany is not to be trusted?
(a) Germany is betraying Japan when Japan needs them the most.
(b) H secretly read an anti-German newspaper article.
(c) The German army has attacked Japan in the past.
(d) A German tourist stole his uncle's bicycle.
2. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
(a) To pass on accurate information.
(b) To confuse the reader.
(c) To build national morale.
(d) To make the enemy look bad.
3. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
(a) To gain more meaning in his life.
(b) To impress his wife.
(c) To avoid being forced to work in a factory.
(d) To help his neighbors in a more heroic way.
4. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
(a) The Devil.
(b) The Chinese.
(c) Human beings.
5. What are octopus pots also known as?
(b) Chamber pots.
(c) Fish bowls.
(d) Squid puddles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is fond of giving "ear twists" to his students?
2. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
3. Who is Kamikera?
4. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
5. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence of H's fragile emotional state do we see in chapter 47?
2. How does H show compassion for his friend Girly Boy?
3. What does Toshiko do to promote Christianity in her home?
4. Of all the things in the house, including his precious books, why does H try to save his father's sewing machine?
5. Why does the war feel closer to H in Kobe than it does at his grandparents' home?
6. What changes are happening at H's school?
7. Who is Noodles?
8. What do new members of the riding club at Second Middle School have to do that the older members don't? What do the older members get to do that the new members don't?
9. Why do H's parents send him and his sister to their grandparents' house?
10. What is H's attitude towards school attendance?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)