|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the end of the war, who replaces the military as the figure of authority?
(a) The local police chief.
(b) The American President.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The occupational forces.
2. Where does Mr. Naito live?
(a) On a boat.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) Next door to H's family.
(d) In a classroom.
3. What is something H has always wanted to try?
(b) Drinking alcohol.
(c) Playing a guitar.
4. Why is it suggested Prime Minister Tojo is a disgrace?
(a) He cheated on his wife.
(b) He embezzled money from the military.
(c) He did not commit suicide the day the war ended.
(d) He lied to the Japanese people.
5. What two things does H realize have gone unchanged by the war?
(a) The sun and the moon.
(b) The trees and the sky.
(c) The grass and the flowers.
(d) The sea and sky.
6. What change are the Americans planning for Japanese schools?
(a) To have classes taught in English.
(b) To make schools co-educational.
(c) To make classes smaller.
(d) To introduce American-style uniforms.
7. What is no longer published in newspapers?
(c) Weather reports.
(d) Reports on raids.
8. Who is assigned to clean up the city's bombsites?
(a) All Kobe citizens.
(c) Military police.
(d) Civil servants.
9. What declaration is presented to Japan by the Americans?
(a) The Versailles Declaration.
(b) The Truman Declaration.
(c) The Roosevelt Declaration.
(d) The Potsdam Declaration.
10. To whom do the boys compare Instructor Tamori?
(a) The Emperor.
(b) Uncle Hadano.
(c) H's favorite God.
(d) Prime Minister Tojo.
11. What does the principal tell the students to avoid?
(a) Swimming in the river.
(b) Actions that may be considered rude or defiant.
(c) Making eye contact with American soldiers.
(d) The burned-out ruins of buildings.
12. What do the boys intend to do with the rifle club's rifles?
(a) Bury them.
(b) Throw them in the river.
(c) Break them.
(d) Hide them in the woods.
13. What one item do H and Toshiko take with them from their burning home?
(a) H's favorite book.
(b) Yoshiko's baby quilt.
(c) Morio's sewing machine.
(d) Toshiko's cook book.
14. Who is Koiso?
(a) A wounded soldier.
(b) A political candidate.
(c) An artist.
(d) A doctor.
15. What do the boys agree should be done with the rifles?
(a) The rifles should be destroyed.
(b) The rifles should be used against the American troops.
(c) The rifles should be handed over to the Americans.
(d) The rifles should not be used to fight American troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do H and Yukawa meet at the armory?
2. Where do Toshiko and H go when they move out of the Church?
3. What do H and his friends drop from the roof of the school?
4. How can H's family hear what the family next door says?
5. Why does H often get beaten up?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)