|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sumiyama believe is the profound wish of every Japanese man?
(a) To serve God.
(b) To serve one's family.
(c) To serve one's own ambitions.
(d) To serve one's country.
2. In the Kobe General Election, for which party is Sanzo Nosaka running?
(a) The Japanese Progressive Party.
(b) The Liberal Democratic Party.
(c) The Communist Party.
(d) The People's Party.
3. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
(d) The Soviet Union.
4. What does Mrs. Tazaki want to swap her sweet potatoes for?
(a) Fresh eggs.
(b) Barley tea.
5. To which organization are H and his classmates assigned to work?
(a) Toshiba Electrical.
(b) The railway company.
(c) The Water Board.
(d) City waste removal.
6. What is worrying H in Chapter 47?
(a) H's own unstable emotions.
(b) The presence of the occupational forces.
(c) The thought that his situation will never improve.
(d) The Senoh's financial situation.
7. After the end of the war, who replaces the military as the figure of authority?
(a) The local police chief.
(b) The American President.
(c) The occupational forces.
(d) The mayor.
8. Who does H hit with the rice pot lid?
9. Why does H often get beaten up?
(a) For insulting classmates.
(b) For causing trouble for others.
(c) For voicing his opinions.
(d) For dressing oddly.
10. Why does H rip down the Japanese Progressive Party poster?
(a) H is offended by the photo on the poster.
(b) It is on top of the Senoh Family Tailors poster.
(c) H considers the poster propaganda.
(d) H disagrees with the Japanese Progressive Party's views.
11. What transportation do the American troops use?
(a) Jeeps and covered trucks.
(b) They are on foot.
12. What is no longer published in newspapers?
(b) Weather reports.
(d) Reports on raids.
13. What do the boys intend to do with the rifle club's rifles?
(a) Break them.
(b) Bury them.
(c) Hide them in the woods.
(d) Throw them in the river.
14. Where does H go when he leaves home in Chapter 48?
(a) The shell of a bombed house.
(b) A friend's house.
(c) His uncle Hadano's house.
(d) A deserted classroom.
15. Who transforms himself into a nice middle-aged gentleman in a suit?
(b) The vice-principal.
(c) Uncle Hadano.
(d) Mr. Tamori.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Kawano become angry with H?
2. Where do Toshiko and H go when they move out of the Church?
3. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
4. Who helps H graduate?
5. Where does Sugita want H to meet him in secret?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)