|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Kawano become angry with H?
(a) H cuts classes.
(b) H speaks negatively about the Japanese military.
(c) H turns in a blank test sheet.
(d) H starts an argument with another student.
2. What does H do at his new job?
(a) Designs uniforms.
(b) Draws portraits.
(c) Paints houses.
(d) Paints signs.
3. What is worrying H in Chapter 47?
(a) The presence of the occupational forces.
(b) The Senoh's financial situation.
(c) The thought that his situation will never improve.
(d) H's own unstable emotions.
4. What does H decide to study?
5. Why is it suggested that Morio deserves a medal?
(a) He captures a runaway American soldier.
(b) He signs up to go to the front.
(c) He turns a neighbor in to the military police.
(d) He saves two people from a fire.
6. Where is everyone from the neighborhood staying?
(a) The school.
(b) The library.
(c) The city hall.
(d) The shrine.
7. Why should H be patient with the children next door?
(a) The children's father died in the war.
(b) H was young once too.
(c) Patience is the Christian way.
(d) The neighbors' apartment is even more crowded than his.
8. What declaration is presented to Japan by the Americans?
(a) The Potsdam Declaration.
(b) The Versailles Declaration.
(c) The Roosevelt Declaration.
(d) The Truman Declaration.
9. What does H promise to do in order to help his father's business?
(a) Make signs and post them around the city.
(b) Learn some tailoring skills.
(c) Tell the parents of his classmates about it.
(d) Work for him part-time.
10. Who arranges H's first paying job?
(a) Mr. Naito.
(d) Uncle Hadano.
11. Why doesn't Sugita want the rifles given to the Americans?
(a) The Americans will use them against the Japanese.
(b) Sugita wants to keep them as souvenirs of the war.
(c) The rifles are a symbol of the rifle club.
(d) The rifles are valuable.
12. After the end of the war, who replaces the military as the figure of authority?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The local police chief.
(c) The occupational forces.
(d) The American President.
13. What does the principal tell the students to avoid?
(a) The burned-out ruins of buildings.
(b) Actions that may be considered rude or defiant.
(c) Swimming in the river.
(d) Making eye contact with American soldiers.
14. Who does Nosaka blame Japan's devastation on?
(a) The Japanese people.
(c) The Emperor.
(d) The military commanders.
15. According to a student at H's school, what will happen on June 5th?
(a) Kobe will be evacuated.
(b) A town festival.
(c) An air raid.
(d) The school factory will close.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Morio during the bombing?
2. To whom do the boys compare Instructor Tamori?
3. During the air raid, where does H go to hide from the enemy plane?
4. Where do Toshiko and H go when they move out of the Church?
5. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)