|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is worrying H in Chapter 47?
(a) H's own unstable emotions.
(b) The thought that his situation will never improve.
(c) The presence of the occupational forces.
(d) The Senoh's financial situation.
2. Why should H be patient with the children next door?
(a) The children's father died in the war.
(b) Patience is the Christian way.
(c) H was young once too.
(d) The neighbors' apartment is even more crowded than his.
3. Who do H and his workmates find hiding in the darkness of the lean-to?
(a) A sickly woman.
(b) A Japanese military officer.
(c) An old man and his grandson.
(d) Two American troops.
4. What does H decide to study?
5. What two things does H realize have gone unchanged by the war?
(a) The sun and the moon.
(b) The trees and the sky.
(c) The sea and sky.
(d) The grass and the flowers.
6. Where does Mr. Naito live?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In a classroom.
(c) On a boat.
(d) Next door to H's family.
7. Where does H go when he leaves home in Chapter 48?
(a) A deserted classroom.
(b) A friend's house.
(c) The shell of a bombed house.
(d) His uncle Hadano's house.
8. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
(a) The Soviet Union.
9. What does H promise to do in order to help his father's business?
(a) Learn some tailoring skills.
(b) Tell the parents of his classmates about it.
(c) Work for him part-time.
(d) Make signs and post them around the city.
10. In Chapter 37, what makes H furious?
(a) Being forced to help the military policeman.
(b) The secrecy of the Japanese military.
(c) Being sent to Mitsubishi Electric.
(d) The American pilot's behavior.
11. Who arranges H's first paying job?
(a) Uncle Hadano.
(c) Mr. Naito.
12. Upon H's return to Kobe, what has happened to the Second Middle School?
(a) The school has become a high school.
(b) The school has burned down.
(c) The school has become a factory.
(d) The school has become a medical center.
13. What does Morio use to replace the sewing machine's belt?
(b) A leather belt.
(c) An old bicycle tire.
(d) A rubber band.
14. Which character works for the newspaper?
(a) Mr. Odagiri.
(d) Mr. Tamori.
15. For which bird is H's workplace named?
(a) The crane.
(b) The raven.
(c) The dove.
(d) The phoenix.
Short Answer Questions
1. What declaration is presented to Japan by the Americans?
2. Why is it suggested Prime Minister Tojo is a disgrace?
3. In Chapter 36, how do H and George get their clothing filthy?
4. What is dropped over Kobe from B29 planes?
5. What does the American pilot have tucked in his boot?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)