|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message does Mr. Kawano send to H?
(a) That his friend is in trouble.
(b) That he must move back home.
(c) That Mr. Naito is a bad influence.
(d) That H might fail his class.
2. What is worrying H in Chapter 47?
(a) The presence of the occupational forces.
(b) H's own unstable emotions.
(c) The Senoh's financial situation.
(d) The thought that his situation will never improve.
3. What does Morio use to replace the sewing machine's belt?
(a) A leather belt.
(c) A rubber band.
(d) An old bicycle tire.
4. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
(a) His parents cancel their newspaper subscription.
(b) His sister draws in his sketchbook.
(c) His mother takes rice to the neighbors.
(d) His father sells the sewing machine.
5. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
(d) The Soviet Union.
6. To which organization are H and his classmates assigned to work?
(a) The Water Board.
(b) City waste removal.
(c) The railway company.
(d) Toshiba Electrical.
7. As H and Toshiko flee, where are they heading for?
(a) The church.
(b) The country.
(c) The sea.
(d) The town centre.
8. Who announces the signing of the Potsdam Declaration to the school?
(a) The Emperor.
(b) The vice-principal.
(c) President Truman.
(d) Prime Minister Tojo.
9. What does H plan to do at the "Hold on Bridge?"
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Watch the sunset.
(c) Meet George.
10. What does H do with his 10 yen grant?
(a) H sends it to his mother.
(b) H buys food for his family.
(c) H gives it to a sickly classmate.
(d) H spends it on himself.
11. What does the principal tell the students to avoid?
(a) The burned-out ruins of buildings.
(b) Swimming in the river.
(c) Making eye contact with American soldiers.
(d) Actions that may be considered rude or defiant.
12. Who arranges H's first paying job?
(a) Mr. Naito.
(c) Uncle Hadano.
13. What change are the Americans planning for Japanese schools?
(a) To have classes taught in English.
(b) To introduce American-style uniforms.
(c) To make classes smaller.
(d) To make schools co-educational.
14. Where does Sugita want H to meet him in secret?
(a) The school.
(b) By the riverbank.
(c) The movie theatre.
(d) The armory.
15. How does H learn lettering?
(a) By asking his mother for help.
(b) By copying others' work.
(c) By using newspapers as examples.
(d) By practicing all night
Short Answer Questions
1. What is dropped over Kobe from B29 planes?
2. What is no longer published in newspapers?
3. Where is Morio during the bombing?
4. To whom do the boys compare Instructor Tamori?
5. Who do H and his workmates find hiding in the darkness of the lean-to?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)