|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H do with his 10 yen grant?
(a) H gives it to a sickly classmate.
(b) H spends it on himself.
(c) H sends it to his mother.
(d) H buys food for his family.
2. What is something H has always wanted to try?
(a) Drinking alcohol.
(b) Playing a guitar.
3. Why isn't H allowed into the hospital?
(a) Visiting hours are over.
(b) Patients and black marketeers have been trading goods.
(c) There has been an influenza outbreak.
(d) There have been complaints about H.
4. During the air raid, where does H go to hide from the enemy plane?
(a) Under a metal staircase.
(b) Underneath a streetcar.
(c) Inside an abandoned building.
(d) Behind a concrete water tank.
5. Where is Morio during the bombing?
(a) At home.
(b) At the church.
(c) Fire station.
(d) Next door.
6. How does H plan to win the friendship of American troops?
(a) Show them around Kobe.
(b) Run errands for them.
(c) Draw sketches of them for free.
(d) Bring them snacks.
7. In Chapter 38, what is happening to many of H's instructors?
(a) They are being forced to work night shifts in the factory.
(b) They are getting injured in air raids.
(c) They are being sent to the front.
(d) They are falling ill.
8. What does H realize about himself in chapter 48?
(a) H is tougher than he thought.
(b) H has the flu.
(c) H is happy living on his own.
(d) H is spiritually sick.
9. Who does H hit with the rice pot lid?
10. In Chapter 36, how do H and George get their clothing filthy?
(a) By rummaging through the ashes of burned buildings.
(b) By fighting in the school yard.
(c) By falling into the muddy river.
(d) By jumping out of a window into a dirty alleyway.
11. For which bird is H's workplace named?
(a) The phoenix.
(b) The raven.
(c) The crane.
(d) The dove.
12. Why doesn't Sugita want the rifles given to the Americans?
(a) The rifles are a symbol of the rifle club.
(b) The Americans will use them against the Japanese.
(c) The rifles are valuable.
(d) Sugita wants to keep them as souvenirs of the war.
13. What does the American pilot have tucked in his boot?
(a) A gun.
(b) A bible.
(d) A map of Japan.
14. H accompanies a group of students transporting what from Mitsubishi Electric?
(d) Electrical wires.
15. Who is assigned to clean up the city's bombsites?
(b) Civil servants.
(c) All Kobe citizens.
(d) Military police.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
2. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
3. What does Mrs. Tazaki want to swap her sweet potatoes for?
4. What is dropped over Kobe from B29 planes?
5. What is worrying H in Chapter 47?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)