|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
(a) His father sells the sewing machine.
(b) His sister draws in his sketchbook.
(c) His parents cancel their newspaper subscription.
(d) His mother takes rice to the neighbors.
2. Why does H return to Kobe?
(a) H misses his friends.
(b) The house in Hiroshima is too crowded.
(c) H doesn't like his school in Hiroshima.
(d) H's father needs his help in Kobe.
3. Upon H's return to Kobe, what has happened to the Second Middle School?
(a) The school has become a high school.
(b) The school has burned down.
(c) The school has become a medical center.
(d) The school has become a factory.
4. Who does H hit with the rice pot lid?
5. For which bird is H's workplace named?
(a) The crane.
(b) The raven.
(c) The phoenix.
(d) The dove.
6. Who do H and Yukawa meet at the armory?
7. In Chapter 36, how do H and George get their clothing filthy?
(a) By jumping out of a window into a dirty alleyway.
(b) By falling into the muddy river.
(c) By fighting in the school yard.
(d) By rummaging through the ashes of burned buildings.
8. Where does Mr. Naito live?
(a) Next door to H's family.
(b) On a boat.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In a classroom.
9. Why does H rip down the Japanese Progressive Party poster?
(a) H considers the poster propaganda.
(b) H is offended by the photo on the poster.
(c) H disagrees with the Japanese Progressive Party's views.
(d) It is on top of the Senoh Family Tailors poster.
10. Which character works for the newspaper?
(a) Mr. Tamori.
(d) Mr. Odagiri.
11. When are the occupational forces scheduled to arrive in Kobe?
(a) March 18th.
(b) September 24th.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) H's birthday.
12. What does H realize about himself in chapter 48?
(a) H is spiritually sick.
(b) H is tougher than he thought.
(c) H is happy living on his own.
(d) H has the flu.
13. What does Toshiko bring back with her from the country?
(a) Rice, carrots, and beef.
(b) Broccoli, milk, and duck.
(c) Eggs, chicken, and rice.
14. What does H's family win?
(a) An education grant.
(b) An automobile.
(c) A housing lottery.
(d) Food coupons.
15. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
(a) The Soviet Union.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Morio quit his job at the fire station?
2. In Chapter 45, what does H think of his family's new housing?
3. In Chapter 45, What disgusts H at school?
4. Who is Koiso?
5. As H and Toshiko flee, where are they heading for?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)