|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does H learn lettering?
(a) By using newspapers as examples.
(b) By asking his mother for help.
(c) By copying others' work.
(d) By practicing all night
2. What does H do with his 10 yen grant?
(a) H buys food for his family.
(b) H gives it to a sickly classmate.
(c) H spends it on himself.
(d) H sends it to his mother.
3. H, Yokota and George go to the farm to get what?
(c) A shovel.
(d) A wheelbarrow.
4. Who does Nosaka blame Japan's devastation on?
(a) The Japanese people.
(b) The Emperor.
(c) The military commanders.
5. Which country announces its surrender?
(a) The Soviet Union.
6. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
(a) H earns an art scholarship.
(b) Morio will receive a business grant.
(c) Uncle Hadano's health is improved.
(d) H's family is approved for municipal housing.
7. Where does Hayashi and his family evacuate to?
8. Which character works for the newspaper?
(c) Mr. Odagiri.
(d) Mr. Tamori.
9. How does H feel about living at the Church?
(a) H feels inspired.
(b) H feels lucky.
(c) H feels at home.
(d) H feels uneasy and uncomfortable.
10. Who is assigned to clean up the city's bombsites?
(b) Military police.
(c) All Kobe citizens.
(d) Civil servants.
11. Where does H go when he leaves home in Chapter 48?
(a) A deserted classroom.
(b) His uncle Hadano's house.
(c) A friend's house.
(d) The shell of a bombed house.
12. How does H decide to help with his family's financial problems?
(a) By searching debris for valuables.
(b) By selling sketches to soldiers.
(c) By moving out of the apartment.
(d) By working part-time at a noodle shop.
13. What does the American pilot have tucked in his boot?
(b) A map of Japan.
(c) A gun.
(d) A bible.
14. Who arranges H's first paying job?
(b) Uncle Hadano.
(c) Mr. Naito.
15. Who helps H graduate?
(a) Mr. Tamori.
(c) Mr. Kawano.
(d) Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Morio during the bombing?
2. Why is it suggested that Morio deserves a medal?
3. Why does H often get beaten up?
4. As H and Toshiko flee, where are they heading for?
5. What shocks H about the artists he meets?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)