|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a student at H's school, what will happen on June 5th?
(a) The school factory will close.
(b) Kobe will be evacuated.
(c) A town festival.
(d) An air raid.
2. Why does H return to Kobe?
(a) H misses his friends.
(b) H's father needs his help in Kobe.
(c) The house in Hiroshima is too crowded.
(d) H doesn't like his school in Hiroshima.
3. What does Sumiyama believe is the profound wish of every Japanese man?
(a) To serve one's own ambitions.
(b) To serve God.
(c) To serve one's family.
(d) To serve one's country.
4. Who helps H graduate?
(a) Mr. Kawano.
(b) Mr. Tamori.
(c) Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto.
5. What does Toshiko bring back with her from the country?
(a) Broccoli, milk, and duck.
(b) Eggs, chicken, and rice.
(d) Rice, carrots, and beef.
6. Who do H and his workmates find hiding in the darkness of the lean-to?
(a) A Japanese military officer.
(b) Two American troops.
(c) An old man and his grandson.
(d) A sickly woman.
7. Why is it suggested Prime Minister Tojo is a disgrace?
(a) He lied to the Japanese people.
(b) He embezzled money from the military.
(c) He cheated on his wife.
(d) He did not commit suicide the day the war ended.
8. What two things does H realize have gone unchanged by the war?
(a) The sea and sky.
(b) The trees and the sky.
(c) The sun and the moon.
(d) The grass and the flowers.
9. What change are the Americans planning for Japanese schools?
(a) To make classes smaller.
(b) To introduce American-style uniforms.
(c) To make schools co-educational.
(d) To have classes taught in English.
10. For which bird is H's workplace named?
(a) The dove.
(b) The raven.
(c) The crane.
(d) The phoenix.
11. What does H plan to do at the "Hold on Bridge?"
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Meet George.
(d) Watch the sunset.
12. What does H realize about himself in chapter 48?
(a) H has the flu.
(b) H is tougher than he thought.
(c) H is happy living on his own.
(d) H is spiritually sick.
13. When are the occupational forces scheduled to arrive in Kobe?
(a) Christmas Day.
(b) March 18th.
(c) September 24th.
(d) H's birthday.
14. During the air raid, where does H go to hide from the enemy plane?
(a) Behind a concrete water tank.
(b) Inside an abandoned building.
(c) Under a metal staircase.
(d) Underneath a streetcar.
15. What does the principal tell the students to avoid?
(a) Making eye contact with American soldiers.
(b) Actions that may be considered rude or defiant.
(c) The burned-out ruins of buildings.
(d) Swimming in the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message does Mr. Kawano send to H?
2. What one item do H and Toshiko take with them from their burning home?
3. Where do Toshiko and H go when they move out of the Church?
4. What does Mrs. Tazaki want to swap her sweet potatoes for?
5. In Chapter 38, what is happening to many of H's instructors?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)