|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
(b) The Soviet Union.
2. What does H do at his new job?
(a) Draws portraits.
(b) Paints houses.
(c) Designs uniforms.
(d) Paints signs.
3. Who helps H graduate?
(a) Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto.
(b) Mr. Tamori.
(c) Mr. Kawano.
4. What two things does H realize have gone unchanged by the war?
(a) The grass and the flowers.
(b) The sea and sky.
(c) The sun and the moon.
(d) The trees and the sky.
5. After the end of the war, who replaces the military as the figure of authority?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The local police chief.
(c) The occupational forces.
(d) The American President.
6. In Chapter 37, what makes H furious?
(a) Being forced to help the military policeman.
(b) The secrecy of the Japanese military.
(c) The American pilot's behavior.
(d) Being sent to Mitsubishi Electric.
7. During the air raid, where does H go to hide from the enemy plane?
(a) Inside an abandoned building.
(b) Underneath a streetcar.
(c) Under a metal staircase.
(d) Behind a concrete water tank.
8. What does the principal tell the students to avoid?
(a) Making eye contact with American soldiers.
(b) Actions that may be considered rude or defiant.
(c) The burned-out ruins of buildings.
(d) Swimming in the river.
9. Why isn't H allowed into the hospital?
(a) There have been complaints about H.
(b) Patients and black marketeers have been trading goods.
(c) There has been an influenza outbreak.
(d) Visiting hours are over.
10. Why should H be patient with the children next door?
(a) Patience is the Christian way.
(b) The neighbors' apartment is even more crowded than his.
(c) The children's father died in the war.
(d) H was young once too.
11. What is Masaru Sayema obsessed with?
(b) American music.
12. Why does H often get beaten up?
(a) For causing trouble for others.
(b) For voicing his opinions.
(c) For dressing oddly.
(d) For insulting classmates.
13. Who arranges H's first paying job?
(a) Uncle Hadano.
(c) Mr. Naito.
14. Which country announces its surrender?
(b) The Soviet Union.
15. How can H's family hear what the family next door says?
(a) The neighbors speak loudly.
(b) The Senoh's apartment is very quiet.
(c) H's family listens through an open window.
(d) The walls are thin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is everyone from the neighborhood staying?
2. What does H promise to do in order to help his father's business?
3. What does H's family win?
4. In the Kobe General Election, for which party is Sanzo Nosaka running?
5. What transportation do the American troops use?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)