|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What change are the Americans planning for Japanese schools?
(a) To have classes taught in English.
(b) To make classes smaller.
(c) To make schools co-educational.
(d) To introduce American-style uniforms.
2. What message does Mr. Kawano send to H?
(a) That Mr. Naito is a bad influence.
(b) That he must move back home.
(c) That H might fail his class.
(d) That his friend is in trouble.
3. What transportation do the American troops use?
(b) Jeeps and covered trucks.
(c) They are on foot.
4. What does the American pilot have tucked in his boot?
(a) A map of Japan.
(b) A bible.
(d) A gun.
5. How does H feel about living at the Church?
(a) H feels at home.
(b) H feels lucky.
(c) H feels uneasy and uncomfortable.
(d) H feels inspired.
6. Where does Mr. Naito live?
(a) Next door to H's family.
(b) On a boat.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In a classroom.
7. Who arranges H's first paying job?
(a) Mr. Naito.
(c) Uncle Hadano.
8. Where does H go when he leaves home in Chapter 48?
(a) A friend's house.
(b) A deserted classroom.
(c) The shell of a bombed house.
(d) His uncle Hadano's house.
9. What does H's family win?
(a) An automobile.
(b) An education grant.
(c) A housing lottery.
(d) Food coupons.
10. Upon H's return to Kobe, what has happened to the Second Middle School?
(a) The school has burned down.
(b) The school has become a medical center.
(c) The school has become a factory.
(d) The school has become a high school.
11. Which character works for the newspaper?
(b) Mr. Odagiri.
(c) Mr. Tamori.
12. Who do H and Yukawa meet at the armory?
13. Why does Morio quit his job at the fire station?
(a) To return to tailoring.
(b) To find a better paying job.
(c) He does not quit, he is fired.
(d) To work at the newspaper.
14. What does Mrs. Tazaki want to swap her sweet potatoes for?
(a) Fresh eggs.
(c) Barley tea.
15. Why should H be patient with the children next door?
(a) H was young once too.
(b) The neighbors' apartment is even more crowded than his.
(c) Patience is the Christian way.
(d) The children's father died in the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it suggested that Morio deserves a medal?
2. Why is it suggested Prime Minister Tojo is a disgrace?
3. What does H realize about himself in chapter 48?
4. In Chapter 38, what is happening to many of H's instructors?
5. How does H learn lettering?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)