|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't H allowed into the hospital?
(a) There has been an influenza outbreak.
(b) Visiting hours are over.
(c) Patients and black marketeers have been trading goods.
(d) There have been complaints about H.
2. Why doesn't Sugita want the rifles given to the Americans?
(a) The rifles are valuable.
(b) The Americans will use them against the Japanese.
(c) The rifles are a symbol of the rifle club.
(d) Sugita wants to keep them as souvenirs of the war.
3. Why are the clubs being disbanded?
(a) There is no money for club activities.
(b) The Americans have banned all gatherings.
(c) To avoid suspicion of military training.
(d) Students are too busy rebuilding Kobe.
4. What does Mrs. Tazaki want to swap her sweet potatoes for?
(b) Fresh eggs.
(c) Barley tea.
5. Where do Toshiko and H go when they move out of the Church?
(a) To Tokyo.
(b) To join Yoshiko in Hiroshima.
(c) To Korea to stay with Kaneda.
(d) To the school.
6. What does the American pilot have tucked in his boot?
(a) A map of Japan.
(b) A bible.
(d) A gun.
7. What does H plan to do at the "Hold on Bridge?"
(a) Meet George.
(b) Watch the sunset.
(c) Commit suicide.
8. To which organization are H and his classmates assigned to work?
(a) The railway company.
(b) City waste removal.
(c) Toshiba Electrical.
(d) The Water Board.
9. As H and Toshiko flee, where are they heading for?
(a) The country.
(b) The church.
(c) The town centre.
(d) The sea.
10. Why does H often get beaten up?
(a) For dressing oddly.
(b) For insulting classmates.
(c) For causing trouble for others.
(d) For voicing his opinions.
11. Upon H's return to Kobe, what has happened to the Second Middle School?
(a) The school has become a factory.
(b) The school has burned down.
(c) The school has become a high school.
(d) The school has become a medical center.
12. What does H believe he sees circling above the ruins of his home?
(a) White butterflies.
(d) White doves.
13. What does Toshiko bring back with her from the country?
(a) Rice, carrots, and beef.
(b) Eggs, chicken, and rice.
(c) Broccoli, milk, and duck.
14. Where does H go when he leaves home in Chapter 48?
(a) A friend's house.
(b) The shell of a bombed house.
(c) A deserted classroom.
(d) His uncle Hadano's house.
15. How does H plan to win the friendship of American troops?
(a) Run errands for them.
(b) Show them around Kobe.
(c) Draw sketches of them for free.
(d) Bring them snacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a school instructor, how might American troops behave?
2. Why does H return to Kobe?
3. In Chapter 38, what is happening to many of H's instructors?
4. Who is assigned to clean up the city's bombsites?
5. Why is Toshiko distant when H comes to visit in Chapter 48?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)