|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who transforms himself into a nice middle-aged gentleman in a suit?
(a) Uncle Hadano.
(b) Mr. Tamori.
(d) The vice-principal.
2. When are the occupational forces scheduled to arrive in Kobe?
(a) Christmas Day.
(b) H's birthday.
(c) September 24th.
(d) March 18th.
3. To whom do the boys compare Instructor Tamori?
(a) H's favorite God.
(b) Prime Minister Tojo.
(c) Uncle Hadano.
(d) The Emperor.
4. According to a school instructor, how might American troops behave?
(a) Less respectful than the Japanese forces.
(b) More generously than the Japanese forces.
(c) More animal-like than the Japanese forces.
(d) More civilized than the Japanese forces.
5. What does the principal tell the students to avoid?
(a) Swimming in the river.
(b) Actions that may be considered rude or defiant.
(c) Making eye contact with American soldiers.
(d) The burned-out ruins of buildings.
6. Why does H return to Kobe?
(a) H misses his friends.
(b) H doesn't like his school in Hiroshima.
(c) H's father needs his help in Kobe.
(d) The house in Hiroshima is too crowded.
7. What does H decide to study?
8. Who do H and Yukawa meet at the armory?
9. Where is Morio during the bombing?
(a) Next door.
(b) At home.
(c) At the church.
(d) Fire station.
10. Which country announces its surrender?
(a) The Soviet Union.
11. How does H plan to win the friendship of American troops?
(a) Show them around Kobe.
(b) Draw sketches of them for free.
(c) Bring them snacks.
(d) Run errands for them.
12. Where does H go when he leaves home in Chapter 48?
(a) A deserted classroom.
(b) The shell of a bombed house.
(c) A friend's house.
(d) His uncle Hadano's house.
13. Who is Koiso?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A wounded soldier.
(c) A political candidate.
(d) An artist.
14. What does H realize about himself in chapter 48?
(a) H is happy living on his own.
(b) H is spiritually sick.
(c) H has the flu.
(d) H is tougher than he thought.
15. Why does Mr. Kawano become angry with H?
(a) H speaks negatively about the Japanese military.
(b) H starts an argument with another student.
(c) H turns in a blank test sheet.
(d) H cuts classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Masaru Sayema obsessed with?
2. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
3. Why does Morio quit his job at the fire station?
4. What one item do H and Toshiko take with them from their burning home?
5. What does H's family win?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)