|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sport does H dislike?
2. Who announces the signing of the Potsdam Declaration to the school?
(a) The Emperor.
(b) Prime Minister Tojo.
(c) President Truman.
(d) The vice-principal.
3. How does H decide to help with his family's financial problems?
(a) By moving out of the apartment.
(b) By searching debris for valuables.
(c) By selling sketches to soldiers.
(d) By working part-time at a noodle shop.
4. Where does Hayashi and his family evacuate to?
5. In Chapter 37, what makes H furious?
(a) Being sent to Mitsubishi Electric.
(b) The American pilot's behavior.
(c) Being forced to help the military policeman.
(d) The secrecy of the Japanese military.
6. What does Sumiyama believe is the profound wish of every Japanese man?
(a) To serve one's country.
(b) To serve one's family.
(c) To serve one's own ambitions.
(d) To serve God.
7. Why does H often get beaten up?
(a) For voicing his opinions.
(b) For dressing oddly.
(c) For insulting classmates.
(d) For causing trouble for others.
8. Who objects to Toshiko feeding the starving soldier?
9. What two things does H realize have gone unchanged by the war?
(a) The grass and the flowers.
(b) The trees and the sky.
(c) The sea and sky.
(d) The sun and the moon.
10. What declaration is presented to Japan by the Americans?
(a) The Roosevelt Declaration.
(b) The Truman Declaration.
(c) The Potsdam Declaration.
(d) The Versailles Declaration.
11. What is dropped over Kobe from B29 planes?
(a) Mustard Gas.
(b) Anti-American booklets.
(c) Food parcels.
(d) Leaflets announcing the signing of the Potsdam Declaration.
12. During the air raid, where does H go to hide from the enemy plane?
(a) Inside an abandoned building.
(b) Under a metal staircase.
(c) Underneath a streetcar.
(d) Behind a concrete water tank.
13. According to a student at H's school, what will happen on June 5th?
(a) The school factory will close.
(b) A town festival.
(c) An air raid.
(d) Kobe will be evacuated.
14. When are the occupational forces scheduled to arrive in Kobe?
(a) H's birthday.
(b) March 18th.
(c) September 24th.
(d) Christmas Day.
15. Who does Nosaka blame Japan's devastation on?
(a) The Japanese people.
(b) The military commanders.
(d) The Emperor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon H's return to Kobe, what has happened to the Second Middle School?
2. After the end of the war, who replaces the military as the figure of authority?
3. Who is Koiso?
4. Who does H hit with the rice pot lid?
5. What does Ishizuka's father give H before they leave?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)