|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is assigned to clean up the city's bombsites?
(b) Military police.
(c) Civil servants.
(d) All Kobe citizens.
2. Who arranges H's first paying job?
(a) Uncle Hadano.
(d) Mr. Naito.
3. Why is it suggested Prime Minister Tojo is a disgrace?
(a) He did not commit suicide the day the war ended.
(b) He cheated on his wife.
(c) He embezzled money from the military.
(d) He lied to the Japanese people.
4. What does H plan to do at the "Hold on Bridge?"
(a) Watch the sunset.
(b) Commit suicide.
(d) Meet George.
5. How does H decide to help with his family's financial problems?
(a) By moving out of the apartment.
(b) By working part-time at a noodle shop.
(c) By selling sketches to soldiers.
(d) By searching debris for valuables.
6. In the Kobe General Election, for which party is Sanzo Nosaka running?
(a) The Japanese Progressive Party.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) The Liberal Democratic Party.
(d) The People's Party.
7. Which character works for the newspaper?
(c) Mr. Tamori.
(d) Mr. Odagiri.
8. Why does H return to Kobe?
(a) H doesn't like his school in Hiroshima.
(b) The house in Hiroshima is too crowded.
(c) H's father needs his help in Kobe.
(d) H misses his friends.
9. Why is it suggested that Morio deserves a medal?
(a) He signs up to go to the front.
(b) He captures a runaway American soldier.
(c) He saves two people from a fire.
(d) He turns a neighbor in to the military police.
10. To which organization are H and his classmates assigned to work?
(a) City waste removal.
(b) The Water Board.
(c) The railway company.
(d) Toshiba Electrical.
11. What sport does H dislike?
12. Where does H go when he leaves home in Chapter 48?
(a) The shell of a bombed house.
(b) A deserted classroom.
(c) A friend's house.
(d) His uncle Hadano's house.
13. Who does Nosaka blame Japan's devastation on?
(b) The Japanese people.
(c) The Emperor.
(d) The military commanders.
14. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
(a) Uncle Hadano's health is improved.
(b) H earns an art scholarship.
(c) H's family is approved for municipal housing.
(d) Morio will receive a business grant.
15. Why does H rip down the Japanese Progressive Party poster?
(a) H is offended by the photo on the poster.
(b) H considers the poster propaganda.
(c) H disagrees with the Japanese Progressive Party's views.
(d) It is on top of the Senoh Family Tailors poster.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the air raid, where does H go to hide from the enemy plane?
2. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
3. What does the principal tell the students to avoid?
4. What does H do with his 10 yen grant?
5. What does Mrs. Tazaki want to swap her sweet potatoes for?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)