|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hayashi and his family evacuate to?
2. What does the principal tell the students to avoid?
(a) Making eye contact with American soldiers.
(b) Swimming in the river.
(c) The burned-out ruins of buildings.
(d) Actions that may be considered rude or defiant.
3. What does Sumiyama believe is the profound wish of every Japanese man?
(a) To serve one's country.
(b) To serve one's own ambitions.
(c) To serve one's family.
(d) To serve God.
4. In the Kobe General Election, for which party is Sanzo Nosaka running?
(a) The Liberal Democratic Party.
(b) The People's Party.
(c) The Japanese Progressive Party.
(d) The Communist Party.
5. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
(a) His mother takes rice to the neighbors.
(b) His father sells the sewing machine.
(c) His sister draws in his sketchbook.
(d) His parents cancel their newspaper subscription.
6. To which organization are H and his classmates assigned to work?
(a) The Water Board.
(b) City waste removal.
(c) Toshiba Electrical.
(d) The railway company.
7. Where is everyone from the neighborhood staying?
(a) The school.
(b) The shrine.
(c) The library.
(d) The city hall.
8. In Chapter 38, what is happening to many of H's instructors?
(a) They are being forced to work night shifts in the factory.
(b) They are getting injured in air raids.
(c) They are being sent to the front.
(d) They are falling ill.
9. Upon H's return to Kobe, what has happened to the Second Middle School?
(a) The school has become a medical center.
(b) The school has burned down.
(c) The school has become a factory.
(d) The school has become a high school.
10. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
(a) Uncle Hadano's health is improved.
(b) Morio will receive a business grant.
(c) H's family is approved for municipal housing.
(d) H earns an art scholarship.
11. Who is Koiso?
(a) A wounded soldier.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A political candidate.
(d) An artist.
12. Who arranges H's first paying job?
(b) Mr. Naito.
(c) Uncle Hadano.
13. During the air raid, where does H go to hide from the enemy plane?
(a) Under a metal staircase.
(b) Underneath a streetcar.
(c) Inside an abandoned building.
(d) Behind a concrete water tank.
14. What does Toshiko bring back with her from the country?
(a) Broccoli, milk, and duck.
(c) Rice, carrots, and beef.
(d) Eggs, chicken, and rice.
15. According to a school instructor, how might American troops behave?
(a) More generously than the Japanese forces.
(b) Less respectful than the Japanese forces.
(c) More civilized than the Japanese forces.
(d) More animal-like than the Japanese forces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Masaru Sayema obsessed with?
2. What is something H has always wanted to try?
3. How does H learn lettering?
4. What does H plan to do at the "Hold on Bridge?"
5. What do the boys intend to do with the rifle club's rifles?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)