|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H do at his new job?
(a) Paints houses.
(b) Designs uniforms.
(c) Draws portraits.
(d) Paints signs.
2. What is worrying H in Chapter 47?
(a) The thought that his situation will never improve.
(b) The presence of the occupational forces.
(c) H's own unstable emotions.
(d) The Senoh's financial situation.
3. Where do Toshiko and H go when they move out of the Church?
(a) To join Yoshiko in Hiroshima.
(b) To the school.
(c) To Korea to stay with Kaneda.
(d) To Tokyo.
4. Who do H and Yukawa meet at the armory?
5. Why are the clubs being disbanded?
(a) The Americans have banned all gatherings.
(b) Students are too busy rebuilding Kobe.
(c) To avoid suspicion of military training.
(d) There is no money for club activities.
6. Where does Sugita want H to meet him in secret?
(a) The movie theatre.
(b) By the riverbank.
(c) The armory.
(d) The school.
7. Upon H's return to Kobe, what has happened to the Second Middle School?
(a) The school has become a medical center.
(b) The school has become a high school.
(c) The school has become a factory.
(d) The school has burned down.
8. What does H decide to study?
9. What does H plan to do at the "Hold on Bridge?"
(a) Meet George.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Watch the sunset.
10. Why is it suggested Prime Minister Tojo is a disgrace?
(a) He embezzled money from the military.
(b) He lied to the Japanese people.
(c) He cheated on his wife.
(d) He did not commit suicide the day the war ended.
11. Who do H and his workmates find hiding in the darkness of the lean-to?
(a) An old man and his grandson.
(b) Two American troops.
(c) A sickly woman.
(d) A Japanese military officer.
12. What does the principal tell the students to avoid?
(a) Making eye contact with American soldiers.
(b) Actions that may be considered rude or defiant.
(c) The burned-out ruins of buildings.
(d) Swimming in the river.
13. For which bird is H's workplace named?
(a) The dove.
(b) The phoenix.
(c) The crane.
(d) The raven.
14. Where is everyone from the neighborhood staying?
(a) The school.
(b) The library.
(c) The shrine.
(d) The city hall.
15. In Chapter 45, what does H think of his family's new housing?
(a) It is modern.
(b) It is beautiful.
(c) It is substandard.
(d) It is small.
Short Answer Questions
1. When are the occupational forces scheduled to arrive in Kobe?
2. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
3. What change are the Americans planning for Japanese schools?
4. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
5. Why does Morio quit his job at the fire station?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)