|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H do with his 10 yen grant?
(a) H buys food for his family.
(b) H sends it to his mother.
(c) H gives it to a sickly classmate.
(d) H spends it on himself.
2. What does H promise to do in order to help his father's business?
(a) Make signs and post them around the city.
(b) Tell the parents of his classmates about it.
(c) Learn some tailoring skills.
(d) Work for him part-time.
3. Where is everyone from the neighborhood staying?
(a) The school.
(b) The city hall.
(c) The library.
(d) The shrine.
4. What does H decide to study?
5. Which character works for the newspaper?
(b) Mr. Odagiri.
(c) Mr. Tamori.
6. What does H plan to do at the "Hold on Bridge?"
(b) Meet George.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Watch the sunset.
7. What sport does H dislike?
8. What is something H has always wanted to try?
(b) Drinking alcohol.
(d) Playing a guitar.
9. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
(d) The Soviet Union.
10. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
(a) His sister draws in his sketchbook.
(b) His mother takes rice to the neighbors.
(c) His father sells the sewing machine.
(d) His parents cancel their newspaper subscription.
11. Why does Morio quit his job at the fire station?
(a) To return to tailoring.
(b) To work at the newspaper.
(c) He does not quit, he is fired.
(d) To find a better paying job.
12. In Chapter 36, how do H and George get their clothing filthy?
(a) By fighting in the school yard.
(b) By jumping out of a window into a dirty alleyway.
(c) By falling into the muddy river.
(d) By rummaging through the ashes of burned buildings.
13. Who do H and his workmates find hiding in the darkness of the lean-to?
(a) An old man and his grandson.
(b) A sickly woman.
(c) Two American troops.
(d) A Japanese military officer.
14. What does Mrs. Tazaki want to swap her sweet potatoes for?
(a) Fresh eggs.
(b) Barley tea.
15. To which organization are H and his classmates assigned to work?
(a) The railway company.
(b) The Water Board.
(c) City waste removal.
(d) Toshiba Electrical.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps H graduate?
2. After the end of the war, who replaces the military as the figure of authority?
3. Why is it suggested Prime Minister Tojo is a disgrace?
4. What one item do H and Toshiko take with them from their burning home?
5. In Chapter 45, what does H think of his family's new housing?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)