|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H decide to study?
2. Who transforms himself into a nice middle-aged gentleman in a suit?
(a) The vice-principal.
(b) Mr. Tamori.
(c) Uncle Hadano.
3. H accompanies a group of students transporting what from Mitsubishi Electric?
(d) Electrical wires.
4. Why does Morio quit his job at the fire station?
(a) He does not quit, he is fired.
(b) To work at the newspaper.
(c) To return to tailoring.
(d) To find a better paying job.
5. What change are the Americans planning for Japanese schools?
(a) To have classes taught in English.
(b) To make classes smaller.
(c) To make schools co-educational.
(d) To introduce American-style uniforms.
6. How can H's family hear what the family next door says?
(a) H's family listens through an open window.
(b) The neighbors speak loudly.
(c) The Senoh's apartment is very quiet.
(d) The walls are thin.
7. What does Morio use to replace the sewing machine's belt?
(b) A rubber band.
(c) An old bicycle tire.
(d) A leather belt.
8. To which organization are H and his classmates assigned to work?
(a) Toshiba Electrical.
(b) City waste removal.
(c) The railway company.
(d) The Water Board.
9. What does H do with his 10 yen grant?
(a) H buys food for his family.
(b) H gives it to a sickly classmate.
(c) H sends it to his mother.
(d) H spends it on himself.
10. Why doesn't Sugita want the rifles given to the Americans?
(a) The rifles are a symbol of the rifle club.
(b) Sugita wants to keep them as souvenirs of the war.
(c) The Americans will use them against the Japanese.
(d) The rifles are valuable.
11. In the Kobe General Election, for which party is Sanzo Nosaka running?
(a) The Japanese Progressive Party.
(b) The Liberal Democratic Party.
(c) The People's Party.
(d) The Communist Party.
12. What good news does H's family receive in Chapter 49?
(a) H's family is approved for municipal housing.
(b) Uncle Hadano's health is improved.
(c) H earns an art scholarship.
(d) Morio will receive a business grant.
13. Who helps H graduate?
(a) Mr. Tamori.
(c) Mr. Kawano.
(d) Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto.
14. Why is Toshiko distant when H comes to visit in Chapter 48?
(a) Toshiko feels H has betrayed her.
(b) Toshiko is afraid that H will become violent again.
(c) Toshiko is still angry with H.
(d) Toshiko is embarassed by her behavior.
15. What message does Mr. Kawano send to H?
(a) That Mr. Naito is a bad influence.
(b) That he must move back home.
(c) That H might fail his class.
(d) That his friend is in trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who objects to Toshiko feeding the starving soldier?
2. Why is it suggested Prime Minister Tojo is a disgrace?
3. To whom do the boys compare Instructor Tamori?
4. Where does Sugita want H to meet him in secret?
5. In Chapter 45, What disgusts H at school?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)