|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H realize about himself in chapter 48?
(a) H has the flu.
(b) H is spiritually sick.
(c) H is happy living on his own.
(d) H is tougher than he thought.
2. How does H plan to win the friendship of American troops?
(a) Run errands for them.
(b) Show them around Kobe.
(c) Bring them snacks.
(d) Draw sketches of them for free.
3. What spurs H to storm out of the apartment?
(a) His mother takes rice to the neighbors.
(b) His father sells the sewing machine.
(c) His sister draws in his sketchbook.
(d) His parents cancel their newspaper subscription.
4. After the bombing of Hiroshima, which country declares war on Japan?
(c) The Soviet Union.
5. What message does Mr. Kawano send to H?
(a) That he must move back home.
(b) That his friend is in trouble.
(c) That Mr. Naito is a bad influence.
(d) That H might fail his class.
6. What does H do at his new job?
(a) Paints signs.
(b) Draws portraits.
(c) Designs uniforms.
(d) Paints houses.
7. As H and Toshiko flee, where are they heading for?
(a) The sea.
(b) The country.
(c) The church.
(d) The town centre.
8. Who objects to Toshiko feeding the starving soldier?
9. Why is Toshiko distant when H comes to visit in Chapter 48?
(a) Toshiko is embarassed by her behavior.
(b) Toshiko feels H has betrayed her.
(c) Toshiko is afraid that H will become violent again.
(d) Toshiko is still angry with H.
10. Who is assigned to clean up the city's bombsites?
(a) Military police.
(b) All Kobe citizens.
(c) Civil servants.
11. Which country announces its surrender?
(a) The Soviet Union.
12. Who arranges H's first paying job?
(a) Mr. Naito.
(d) Uncle Hadano.
13. Who helps H graduate?
(a) Mr. Tamori.
(b) Mr. Kawano.
(c) Mr. Naito and Mr. Matsumoto.
14. Who is Koiso?
(a) An artist.
(b) A wounded soldier.
(c) A political candidate.
(d) A doctor.
15. How does H decide to help with his family's financial problems?
(a) By searching debris for valuables.
(b) By selling sketches to soldiers.
(c) By moving out of the apartment.
(d) By working part-time at a noodle shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does H often get beaten up?
2. Who do H and Yukawa meet at the armory?
3. Why does H rip down the Japanese Progressive Party poster?
4. What shocks H about the artists he meets?
5. What transportation do the American troops use?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)