|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
(b) Morio has webbed feet.
(c) Morio never took the physical exam.
(d) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
2. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
(a) Kobe will never be bombed.
(b) The war is over.
(c) Uncle Hadano's shelter is big enough for their family.
(d) If the house collapses from a bomb, they would be trapped.
3. What does Hayashi warn H not to do?
(a) H should not read any English books.
(b) H should not go home past curfew.
(c) H should not sketch pictures of soldiers.
(d) H should not count the number of railroad cars.
4. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) An air raid alert.
(b) H's mother.
(c) An angry Instructor Tamori.
(d) A hail storm.
5. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
(b) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
(c) He steals money from his mother's purse.
(d) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
6. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
(b) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
(c) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
(d) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
7. Why is Morio's apprentice, Shige, crying when H returns home from school one day?
(a) Morio has decided to let Shige go.
(b) Shige pricked his fingers with a sewing needle.
(c) Morio yelled at Shige for measuring a garment incorrectly.
(d) Shige has been called up to the army.
8. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(b) H's teacher never loses his temper.
(c) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
(d) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
9. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
(a) Germany attacks Japan.
(b) Germany attacks the Soviet Union.
(c) America attacks Japan.
(d) Japan defeats China.
10. Why does H disapprove of people being anti-British?
(a) H's favorite music comes from Britain.
(b) H's father has many British customers.
(c) H's best friend is British
(d) H has family living in Britain.
11. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
(a) Shige-san is known to be a lazy and irresponsible worker.
(b) Shige-san is very poor at math, and is unable to perform the simplist calculations.
(c) Shige-san acts inappropriately towards Toshiko when Moiro is not around.
(d) Shige-san has a bad leg and his body tilts to one side when he walks.
12. What does H do to Girly Boy at the bathhouse?
(a) H steals his clothes while Girly Boy is bathing.
(b) H ignores Girly Boy.
(c) H pulls Girly Boy's towel away from him.
(d) H mocks Girly Boy in front of his friends.
13. What is zosui?
(a) A Japanese spy.
(b) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
(c) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
(d) H's favorite dessert.
14. What does H learn during his summer?
(a) A Japanese war secret.
(b) How to steer a boat.
(c) How to mend socks.
(d) The Hiroshima dialect.
15. How does H find himself under the line of fire at the firing range?
(a) H and his friends take a short cut and go the wrong way.
(b) H is confused where to stand as it is his first time at the firing range.
(c) The shooters can not see him in his camouflage gear.
(d) H is not looking where he is going.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does H's father describe his shop as?
2. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
3. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
4. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
5. What does H draw sketches of during a stop?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)