|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
(a) Silverware is more hygienic.
(b) All of Toshiko's friends use silverware, and she wants to fit in.
(c) Silverware is easier to wash.
(d) Toshiko does not want her children to feel awkward when using cutlery.
2. What does Hayashi warn H not to do?
(a) H should not read any English books.
(b) H should not go home past curfew.
(c) H should not count the number of railroad cars.
(d) H should not sketch pictures of soldiers.
3. What are octopus pots also known as?
(a) Chamber pots.
(b) Fish bowls.
(d) Squid puddles.
4. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
(a) Spy on the Japanese military.
(b) Have an affair while Tamori was away.
(c) Steal food rations from her neigbors.
(d) Refuse to wear the National Dress.
5. What does H do to Girly Boy at the bathhouse?
(a) H mocks Girly Boy in front of his friends.
(b) H ignores Girly Boy.
(c) H steals his clothes while Girly Boy is bathing.
(d) H pulls Girly Boy's towel away from him.
6. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The butterfly.
(b) The pushup run.
(c) The torpedo.
(d) The bellycrawl.
7. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
(a) To impress his wife.
(b) To avoid being forced to work in a factory.
(c) To help his neighbors in a more heroic way.
(d) To gain more meaning in his life.
8. Why does H return to the gas station after reporting what he saw?
(a) H needs to show the police where the body is.
(b) H doesn't want Girly Boy to be left alone.
(c) H needs to retrieve his bag that he dropped after discovering the body.
(d) H is worried that someone will find Girly Boy and do harm to his body.
9. What happens on December 8th?
(a) Japan and America sign a peace treaty.
(b) America attacks Kobe.
(c) America attacks Hiroshima.
(d) Japan attacks Pearl Harbor.
10. Who is rescued by a German military unit?
(c) Prime Minister Tojo.
11. What is zosui?
(a) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
(b) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
(c) A Japanese spy.
(d) H's favorite dessert.
12. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
(a) The bone setter has a reputation of being mean to young boys.
(b) He just wants to make things difficult for his mother.
(c) The doctor gives out candy to his patients.
(d) H thinks he will lose the use of his arm if he does not see a doctor.
13. Why are H and Yoshiko going on a train?
(a) To visit their grandparents.
(b) To visit their cousin.
(c) To witness a religious event.
(d) To see an exhibition.
14. What is the rumor going around the school in Chapter 26?
(a) The rifle club with disband.
(b) English language classes will no longer be taught in schools.
(c) The school will close down to prepare for impending air raids.
(d) Instructor Tamori will be retiring at the end of the school year.
15. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Do the dishes and make his bed.
(b) Read from the Bible.
(c) Sing her favorite hymn.
(d) Practice the tambourine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kamikera?
2. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
3. What is the National Dress Order?
4. Where does Ishizuka live?
5. What is the rumor going around H's school?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)