|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
(a) Morio is caught spying from the roof of the fire station.
(b) Morio stole some rationed goods.
(c) Morio refused to purchase a gas mask.
(d) Morio did business with American and British people prior to the war.
2. What does H draw sketches of during a stop?
(a) The foreigners at the train stop.
(b) Yoshiko standing next to the train.
(c) The conductor.
(d) The train's engine.
3. What does a record with a red label indicate?
(a) It is a special edition.
(b) It is a religious record.
(c) It is made in America.
(d) It is made in China.
4. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
(a) H is convinced that Mitchan has seen his map.
(b) Yoshiko has told Mitchan that H likes her.
(c) Mitchan sees H in his childish pajamas.
(d) Mitchan is rude to H.
5. At the firing range, why are many of the shooters' bullets missing the target?
(a) The target is too far away.
(b) The shooters are taking too long to aim.
(c) The shooters are blind.
(d) The shooters are inexperienced.
6. Why is the English language banned?
(a) Englishmen are traders.
(b) It violates the spirit of the time.
(c) English is difficult to read.
(d) To promote the proper usage of Japanese in schools.
7. What does H hear the local housewives say about the operators of those boxes?
(a) The operators are not to be trusted.
(b) The operators overcharge.
(c) The operators will sometimes run off with children.
(d) The operators often smell because they never visit the bathhouse.
8. What is the rumor going around the school in Chapter 26?
(a) Instructor Tamori will be retiring at the end of the school year.
(b) The rifle club with disband.
(c) The school will close down to prepare for impending air raids.
(d) English language classes will no longer be taught in schools.
9. Why does Toshiko approve of Donchan and H's friendship?
(a) Toshiko approves because she is best friends with Donchan's mother.
(b) Toshiko approves because Donchan enjoys reading and speaks politely.
(c) Toshiko approves because Donchan is from a strict Christian family.
(d) Toshiko approves because Donchan keeps H out of trouble.
10. Why does Kaneda leave?
(a) Toshiko won't stop badgering Kaneda into accepting the "love of Christ."
(b) Kaneda is homesick and decides to return to Korea.
(c) Kaneda misunderstands Toshiko's intentions.
(d) Kaneda is tired of being called a "Chosen" by everyone.
11. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
(a) H will no longer be a child.
(b) H will join the church choir.
(c) H will join the army.
(d) H will move in with his grandparents.
12. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
(b) Human beings.
(c) The Chinese.
(d) The Devil.
13. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) The war is over.
(b) H's English teacher is a spy.
(c) H's family are spies.
(d) The American military is planning an invasion.
14. Why does H run away when he hears tambourines and drums approaching?
(a) H wants to avoid his mother at all costs.
(b) It means that Christian street preachers are coming.
(c) H dislikes all forms of music.
(d) H fears that the tambourine and drum players will ask him to join in.
15. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
(a) The spirit of the Kobe ancestors.
(b) The crosses taken down from all the churches.
(c) The personal effects of deceased soldiers.
(d) The spirit of the war dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
2. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
3. Why does H finally decide to join the rifle club?
4. What happens on H's birthday?
5. How does H find himself under the line of fire at the firing range?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)