|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
(a) Their wish will come true.
(b) Someone will kick them from behind.
(c) They will get a heart attack.
(d) They will spread trachoma.
2. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher never loses his temper.
(b) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
(c) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(d) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
3. Why do H and Shingo get off the streetcar one stop early?
(a) H and Shingo enjoy walking.
(b) H and Shingo want to eat some noodles.
(c) H and Shingo don't want to be seen by their neighbors.
(d) H and Shingo want to visit their friend.
4. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Do the dishes and make his bed.
(b) Read from the Bible.
(c) Sing her favorite hymn.
(d) Practice the tambourine.
5. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
(a) H takes a horse out for a secret ride.
(b) H steals a pair of riding boots.
(c) H bites one of the other club members.
(d) The club is banning all new students.
6. What is forbidden on the train?
(a) Talking to others.
(b) Bringing your own food on the train.
(d) Looking out the window at the scenery.
7. Why is Morio's apprentice, Shige, crying when H returns home from school one day?
(a) Shige has been called up to the army.
(b) Morio yelled at Shige for measuring a garment incorrectly.
(c) Shige pricked his fingers with a sewing needle.
(d) Morio has decided to let Shige go.
8. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
(b) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
(c) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
(d) He steals money from his mother's purse.
9. What does a record with a red label indicate?
(a) It is a special edition.
(b) It is made in America.
(c) It is a religious record.
(d) It is made in China.
10. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
(a) Yoshiko feels happy because her brother let her play hide and seek with his friends.
(b) Yoshiko feels hungry.
(c) Yoshiko feels sad because her brother and his friends deserted her.
(d) Yoshiko feels scared.
11. Why does Kaneda leave?
(a) Kaneda is tired of being called a "Chosen" by everyone.
(b) Kaneda misunderstands Toshiko's intentions.
(c) Toshiko won't stop badgering Kaneda into accepting the "love of Christ."
(d) Kaneda is homesick and decides to return to Korea.
12. What is the Hoanden?
(a) The Hoanden is the official scroll containing the words of the god Susanowo.
(b) The Hoanden is a concrete structure that houses The official royal portraits of the Emperor and Empress.
(c) The Hoanden is the celebration of the Emperor and Empress.
(d) The Hoanden is the official portrait of the Emperor.
13. In Chapter 23, What does H do instead of studying?
(a) Play outside.
(b) Read the newspaper.
(c) Spy on the neighbors.
(d) Build model airplanes.
14. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
(b) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
(c) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
(d) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
15. Why does H run away when he hears tambourines and drums approaching?
(a) H wants to avoid his mother at all costs.
(b) H fears that the tambourine and drum players will ask him to join in.
(c) It means that Christian street preachers are coming.
(d) H dislikes all forms of music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
2. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
3. Why does H return to the gas station after reporting what he saw?
4. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
5. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)