Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H learn during his summer?
(a) A Japanese war secret.
(b) The Hiroshima dialect.
(c) How to steer a boat.
(d) How to mend socks.
2. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
(b) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
(c) He steals money from his mother's purse.
(d) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
3. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
(a) Yoshiko has told Mitchan that H likes her.
(b) Mitchan sees H in his childish pajamas.
(c) H is convinced that Mitchan has seen his map.
(d) Mitchan is rude to H.
4. Who dies in Chapter 24?
(d) Admiral Yamamoto.
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) A hail storm.
(b) An air raid alert.
(c) An angry Instructor Tamori.
(d) H's mother.
6. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
(b) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
(c) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
(d) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
7. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
(a) H and his mother are regular customers.
(b) H does a trick for the restaurant owner.
(c) H and his mother look hungry and poor.
(d) H offers advice that improves a dish.
8. Who is fond of giving "ear twists" to his students?
(b) Mr. Tamori.
(c) Tan Wantanabe.
(d) Mr. Hisakado.
9. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
(a) To pass on accurate information.
(b) To build national morale.
(c) To confuse the reader.
(d) To make the enemy look bad.
10. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher never loses his temper.
(b) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
(c) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(d) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
11. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
(a) It will never happen.
(b) It might happen.
(c) It is inevitable.
(d) It has already started.
12. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
(b) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
(c) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
(d) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
13. What does H's father describe his shop as?
(a) An upscale business.
(b) A run of the mill tailor shop.
(c) A meeting place for the secret police.
(d) A local hangout.
14. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
(a) Morio will protest in the streets.
(b) The newspapers will finally tell the truth.
(c) The number of fires will increase.
(d) H and his family will move to the country.
15. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
(a) The doctor gives out candy to his patients.
(b) He just wants to make things difficult for his mother.
(c) H thinks he will lose the use of his arm if he does not see a doctor.
(d) The bone setter has a reputation of being mean to young boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is forbidden on the train?
2. Why are H and Yoshiko going on a train?
3. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
4. What is Japan experiencing a shortage of?
5. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)