|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
(a) H will no longer be a child.
(b) H will join the army.
(c) H will move in with his grandparents.
(d) H will join the church choir.
2. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
(b) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
(c) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
(d) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
3. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
(a) H must take over at the air raid drills.
(b) Toshiko spends three weeks in hospital.
(c) Morio quits his job at the fire station to look after her.
(d) Association members stop by to check on her and bring sweet buns and candies.
4. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
(a) Spy on the Japanese military.
(b) Steal food rations from her neigbors.
(c) Refuse to wear the National Dress.
(d) Have an affair while Tamori was away.
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) H's mother.
(b) An air raid alert.
(c) An angry Instructor Tamori.
(d) A hail storm.
6. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
(b) The Devil.
(c) The Chinese.
(d) Human beings.
7. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(b) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
(c) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
(d) H's teacher never loses his temper.
8. Who dies in Chapter 24?
(c) Admiral Yamamoto.
9. Why does Kaneda leave?
(a) Kaneda is homesick and decides to return to Korea.
(b) Kaneda misunderstands Toshiko's intentions.
(c) Kaneda is tired of being called a "Chosen" by everyone.
(d) Toshiko won't stop badgering Kaneda into accepting the "love of Christ."
10. What rule of his mothers is H embarrassed about?
(a) H must join his mother at Church every morning for prayer.
(b) H must finish his milk before he can go out and play.
(c) H must read the Bible for an hour as soon as he returns from school.
(d) H must go home directly from school before going to the beach.
11. What does Toshiko do for the stranded bus passengers during the flood?
(a) Toshiko invites them into her home until a new bus arrives.
(b) Toshiko offers the female passengers a change of clothing.
(c) Toshiko brings coffee and biscuits to those waiting on the bus.
(d) Toshiko reads the passengers a passage from the bible.
12. Why does Yoshiko take the broken fork?
(a) Yoshiko secretly uses chopsticks, so it doesn't matter to her what fork she is given.
(b) Yoshiko is scared of her brother.
(c) Yoshiko thinks H should not have to use a broken fork.
(d) Yoshiko wants to impress her mother by doing something nice.
13. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
(a) H decides to give up sketching anything but sumo wrestlers.
(b) H disobeys any new law that is made.
(c) H decides to learn a new skill to help his country.
(d) H spys on the military and sells the information to his friends.
14. What does H's father describe his shop as?
(a) A run of the mill tailor shop.
(b) An upscale business.
(c) A meeting place for the secret police.
(d) A local hangout.
15. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) The war is over.
(b) H's English teacher is a spy.
(c) H's family are spies.
(d) The American military is planning an invasion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Hoanden?
2. Why does H run away when he hears tambourines and drums approaching?
3. What does Toshiko need to convince her neighbors to do?
4. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
5. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)