|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H draw sketches of during a stop?
(a) The train's engine.
(b) Yoshiko standing next to the train.
(c) The conductor.
(d) The foreigners at the train stop.
2. Why does H believe Germany is not to be trusted?
(a) Germany is betraying Japan when Japan needs them the most.
(b) A German tourist stole his uncle's bicycle.
(c) The German army has attacked Japan in the past.
(d) H secretly read an anti-German newspaper article.
3. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Sing her favorite hymn.
(b) Read from the Bible.
(c) Practice the tambourine.
(d) Do the dishes and make his bed.
4. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
(a) To make the enemy look bad.
(b) To build national morale.
(c) To confuse the reader.
(d) To pass on accurate information.
5. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The torpedo.
(b) The bellycrawl.
(c) The butterfly.
(d) The pushup run.
6. What does Toshiko need to convince her neighbors to do?
(a) Work full-time in the artillery factory.
(b) Give away all their silver and gold.
(c) Donate a certain percent of their earnings to the needy.
(d) Buy war bonds.
7. What happens with H's first shot?
(a) H's gun misfires.
(b) H completely misses the target and becomes embarrassed.
(c) H hits the bulls-eye.
(d) H hits another shooter.
8. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
(a) To avoid being forced to work in a factory.
(b) To gain more meaning in his life.
(c) To impress his wife.
(d) To help his neighbors in a more heroic way.
9. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
(a) Germany attacks Japan.
(b) Japan defeats China.
(c) America attacks Japan.
(d) Germany attacks the Soviet Union.
10. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
(a) Silverware is easier to wash.
(b) Silverware is more hygienic.
(c) Toshiko does not want her children to feel awkward when using cutlery.
(d) All of Toshiko's friends use silverware, and she wants to fit in.
11. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
(a) Education Ministry.
(b) Religious unions.
(c) National defence.
(d) Japanese military.
12. Why is the English language banned?
(a) To promote the proper usage of Japanese in schools.
(b) Englishmen are traders.
(c) English is difficult to read.
(d) It violates the spirit of the time.
13. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
(b) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
(c) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
(d) He steals money from his mother's purse.
14. Where does Ishizuka live?
(a) Behind the school.
(b) Above a bookstore.
(c) Next door.
(d) In a dorm.
15. Why does Yoshiko take the broken fork?
(a) Yoshiko is scared of her brother.
(b) Yoshiko secretly uses chopsticks, so it doesn't matter to her what fork she is given.
(c) Yoshiko wants to impress her mother by doing something nice.
(d) Yoshiko thinks H should not have to use a broken fork.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kaneda leave?
2. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
3. What does H decide to start a business doing?
4. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
5. What is considered "un-Japanese" at school?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)