|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
(b) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
(c) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
(d) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
2. What does Hayashi warn H not to do?
(a) H should not count the number of railroad cars.
(b) H should not read any English books.
(c) H should not sketch pictures of soldiers.
(d) H should not go home past curfew.
3. Why is the English language banned?
(a) Englishmen are traders.
(b) English is difficult to read.
(c) It violates the spirit of the time.
(d) To promote the proper usage of Japanese in schools.
4. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
(a) To gain more meaning in his life.
(b) To avoid being forced to work in a factory.
(c) To help his neighbors in a more heroic way.
(d) To impress his wife.
5. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
(b) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
(c) H's teacher never loses his temper.
(d) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
6. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Do the dishes and make his bed.
(b) Read from the Bible.
(c) Practice the tambourine.
(d) Sing her favorite hymn.
7. Why is Uncle Hadano unable to go home?
(a) The bridge has washed out.
(b) His bicycle has a flat tire.
(c) The road is blocked with a herd of cattle.
(d) His home has washed away with the flood.
8. Why does H disapprove of people being anti-British?
(a) H's father has many British customers.
(b) H has family living in Britain.
(c) H's best friend is British
(d) H's favorite music comes from Britain.
9. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio has webbed feet.
(b) Morio never took the physical exam.
(c) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
(d) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
10. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
(a) Silverware is more hygienic.
(b) Toshiko does not want her children to feel awkward when using cutlery.
(c) All of Toshiko's friends use silverware, and she wants to fit in.
(d) Silverware is easier to wash.
11. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He steals money from his mother's purse.
(b) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
(c) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
(d) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
12. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
(a) Shige-san is very poor at math, and is unable to perform the simplist calculations.
(b) Shige-san acts inappropriately towards Toshiko when Moiro is not around.
(c) Shige-san is known to be a lazy and irresponsible worker.
(d) Shige-san has a bad leg and his body tilts to one side when he walks.
13. What kind of god is Susanowo?
(a) Susanowo is an unforgiving god.
(b) Susanowo is an unruly god.
(c) Susanowo is a benevolent god.
(d) Susanowo is a violent god.
14. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
(a) H decides to learn a new skill to help his country.
(b) H spys on the military and sells the information to his friends.
(c) H disobeys any new law that is made.
(d) H decides to give up sketching anything but sumo wrestlers.
15. In Chapter 23, What does H do instead of studying?
(a) Read the newspaper.
(b) Build model airplanes.
(c) Play outside.
(d) Spy on the neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
2. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
3. What are octopus pots also known as?
4. What does H decide to start a business doing?
5. What happens with H's first shot?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)