|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of god is Susanowo?
(a) Susanowo is an unruly god.
(b) Susanowo is a benevolent god.
(c) Susanowo is a violent god.
(d) Susanowo is an unforgiving god.
2. What happens with H's first shot?
(a) H completely misses the target and becomes embarrassed.
(b) H hits another shooter.
(c) H hits the bulls-eye.
(d) H's gun misfires.
3. After seeing the condition of his grandparents home, how does H feel?
4. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
(a) The boys are all safe.
(b) Mr. Suzuki's boat is not ruined.
(c) The boys have impressed Mr. Suzuki with their boating skills.
(d) The boys caught seven fish for dinner.
5. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
(a) H thinks he will lose the use of his arm if he does not see a doctor.
(b) The doctor gives out candy to his patients.
(c) He just wants to make things difficult for his mother.
(d) The bone setter has a reputation of being mean to young boys.
6. What is the rumor going around the school in Chapter 26?
(a) The rifle club with disband.
(b) English language classes will no longer be taught in schools.
(c) Instructor Tamori will be retiring at the end of the school year.
(d) The school will close down to prepare for impending air raids.
7. What does H hear the local housewives say about the operators of those boxes?
(a) The operators will sometimes run off with children.
(b) The operators are not to be trusted.
(c) The operators often smell because they never visit the bathhouse.
(d) The operators overcharge.
8. Why does H believe Germany is not to be trusted?
(a) H secretly read an anti-German newspaper article.
(b) Germany is betraying Japan when Japan needs them the most.
(c) A German tourist stole his uncle's bicycle.
(d) The German army has attacked Japan in the past.
9. Why does Toshiko approve of Donchan and H's friendship?
(a) Toshiko approves because Donchan keeps H out of trouble.
(b) Toshiko approves because Donchan enjoys reading and speaks politely.
(c) Toshiko approves because she is best friends with Donchan's mother.
(d) Toshiko approves because Donchan is from a strict Christian family.
10. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
(b) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
(c) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
(d) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
11. What does Hayashi warn H not to do?
(a) H should not go home past curfew.
(b) H should not count the number of railroad cars.
(c) H should not read any English books.
(d) H should not sketch pictures of soldiers.
12. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
(b) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
(c) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
(d) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
13. What do H and his friends do when "words of enemy origin" are not allowed?
(a) Use the words anyways.
(b) Rat out classmates who don't follow the rules.
(c) Use substitute words.
(d) Hold a protest.
14. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
(a) Association members stop by to check on her and bring sweet buns and candies.
(b) Morio quits his job at the fire station to look after her.
(c) H must take over at the air raid drills.
(d) Toshiko spends three weeks in hospital.
15. Where does Ishizuka live?
(a) Above a bookstore.
(b) Next door.
(c) In a dorm.
(d) Behind the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
2. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
3. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
4. What does H do to Girly Boy at the bathhouse?
5. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)