|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H do to Girly Boy at the bathhouse?
(a) H mocks Girly Boy in front of his friends.
(b) H steals his clothes while Girly Boy is bathing.
(c) H pulls Girly Boy's towel away from him.
(d) H ignores Girly Boy.
2. Why is the English language banned?
(a) To promote the proper usage of Japanese in schools.
(b) Englishmen are traders.
(c) It violates the spirit of the time.
(d) English is difficult to read.
3. Why does Toshiko not want to buy the gas masks?
(a) Gas masks are unattractive.
(b) Gas masks are poorly made.
(c) Gas masks are expensive.
(d) Gas masks are heavy.
4. What happens with H's first shot?
(a) H's gun misfires.
(b) H completely misses the target and becomes embarrassed.
(c) H hits another shooter.
(d) H hits the bulls-eye.
5. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
(a) Morio will protest in the streets.
(b) H and his family will move to the country.
(c) The number of fires will increase.
(d) The newspapers will finally tell the truth.
6. What is the Hoanden?
(a) The Hoanden is the celebration of the Emperor and Empress.
(b) The Hoanden is the official scroll containing the words of the god Susanowo.
(c) The Hoanden is a concrete structure that houses The official royal portraits of the Emperor and Empress.
(d) The Hoanden is the official portrait of the Emperor.
7. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
(a) Yoshiko feels sad because her brother and his friends deserted her.
(b) Yoshiko feels scared.
(c) Yoshiko feels hungry.
(d) Yoshiko feels happy because her brother let her play hide and seek with his friends.
8. What is considered "un-Japanese" at school?
(a) Singing German music.
(b) Wearing clothes that is not made out of khaki.
(c) Learning about foreign cultures.
(d) Talking about America or Britain.
9. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) The American military is planning an invasion.
(b) H's family are spies.
(c) H's English teacher is a spy.
(d) The war is over.
10. Why does H run away when he hears tambourines and drums approaching?
(a) It means that Christian street preachers are coming.
(b) H wants to avoid his mother at all costs.
(c) H fears that the tambourine and drum players will ask him to join in.
(d) H dislikes all forms of music.
11. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) An air raid alert.
(b) A hail storm.
(c) H's mother.
(d) An angry Instructor Tamori.
12. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
(a) H disobeys any new law that is made.
(b) H decides to learn a new skill to help his country.
(c) H spys on the military and sells the information to his friends.
(d) H decides to give up sketching anything but sumo wrestlers.
13. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
(a) H will move in with his grandparents.
(b) H will join the church choir.
(c) H will join the army.
(d) H will no longer be a child.
14. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
(b) He steals money from his mother's purse.
(c) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
(d) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
15. What is Instructor Tamori's job?
(a) Head of the rifle club.
(b) English teacher.
(c) Military trainer.
(d) Homeroom teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do H and Shingo get off the streetcar one stop early?
2. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
3. Who is fond of giving "ear twists" to his students?
4. What does H decide to start a business doing?
5. Why is Uncle Hadano unable to go home?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)