|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
(a) To make the enemy look bad.
(b) To pass on accurate information.
(c) To build national morale.
(d) To confuse the reader.
2. What are octopus pots also known as?
(b) Chamber pots.
(c) Fish bowls.
(d) Squid puddles.
3. How does H find himself under the line of fire at the firing range?
(a) H is confused where to stand as it is his first time at the firing range.
(b) H and his friends take a short cut and go the wrong way.
(c) H is not looking where he is going.
(d) The shooters can not see him in his camouflage gear.
4. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
(b) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
(c) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
(d) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
5. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
(a) The war with China.
(b) Lack of athletes.
(c) The anniversary celebration is proving to be expensive.
(d) The public are not in the mood for competition with other countries.
6. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
(a) Silverware is easier to wash.
(b) Silverware is more hygienic.
(c) All of Toshiko's friends use silverware, and she wants to fit in.
(d) Toshiko does not want her children to feel awkward when using cutlery.
7. What is Instructor Tamori's job?
(a) English teacher.
(b) Head of the rifle club.
(c) Military trainer.
(d) Homeroom teacher.
8. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio never took the physical exam.
(b) Morio has webbed feet.
(c) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
(d) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
9. What does H hear the local housewives say about the operators of those boxes?
(a) The operators will sometimes run off with children.
(b) The operators often smell because they never visit the bathhouse.
(c) The operators overcharge.
(d) The operators are not to be trusted.
10. What is the National Dress Order?
(a) An order which requires all Japanese people to wear clothing made of a khaki material.
(b) An order that requires all foreigners to wear traditional Japanese clothing.
(c) An order that requires all Japanese people to wear kimonos at all times.
(d) An order that requires all Japanese people to wear Western clothing.
11. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Do the dishes and make his bed.
(b) Practice the tambourine.
(c) Read from the Bible.
(d) Sing her favorite hymn.
12. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
(a) America attacks Japan.
(b) Germany attacks Japan.
(c) Japan defeats China.
(d) Germany attacks the Soviet Union.
13. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
(b) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
(c) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
(d) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
14. What happens on H's birthday?
(a) Morio is called up to work in a factory.
(b) A pastor is arrested.
(c) H takes a tour of the fire station.
(d) Toshiko is investigated because of her religious beliefs.
15. Why do H and Shingo get off the streetcar one stop early?
(a) H and Shingo want to eat some noodles.
(b) H and Shingo want to visit their friend.
(c) H and Shingo enjoy walking.
(d) H and Shingo don't want to be seen by their neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens with H's first shot?
2. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
3. What puzzles H about his teacher?
4. Why does Kaneda leave?
5. What is zosui?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)