|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
(a) Toshiko does not want her children to feel awkward when using cutlery.
(b) All of Toshiko's friends use silverware, and she wants to fit in.
(c) Silverware is easier to wash.
(d) Silverware is more hygienic.
2. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
(a) The Devil.
(b) The Chinese.
(c) Human beings.
3. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
(b) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
(c) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
(d) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
4. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
(a) H will move in with his grandparents.
(b) H will join the army.
(c) H will join the church choir.
(d) H will no longer be a child.
5. Who is Kamikera?
(a) H's invisible friend.
(b) Furuta's best friend.
(c) The newest member of the riding club.
(d) H's favorite horse.
6. What does H learn during his summer?
(a) How to mend socks.
(b) How to steer a boat.
(c) A Japanese war secret.
(d) The Hiroshima dialect.
7. Where does Ishizuka live?
(a) Above a bookstore.
(b) Next door.
(c) Behind the school.
(d) In a dorm.
8. What does H draw sketches of during a stop?
(a) Yoshiko standing next to the train.
(b) The train's engine.
(c) The conductor.
(d) The foreigners at the train stop.
9. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
(a) Morio quits his job at the fire station to look after her.
(b) Association members stop by to check on her and bring sweet buns and candies.
(c) H must take over at the air raid drills.
(d) Toshiko spends three weeks in hospital.
10. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
(a) To confuse the reader.
(b) To make the enemy look bad.
(c) To build national morale.
(d) To pass on accurate information.
11. What does Hayashi warn H not to do?
(a) H should not read any English books.
(b) H should not go home past curfew.
(c) H should not sketch pictures of soldiers.
(d) H should not count the number of railroad cars.
12. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
(b) English grammar.
(d) Physical Education.
13. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Read from the Bible.
(b) Do the dishes and make his bed.
(c) Sing her favorite hymn.
(d) Practice the tambourine.
14. Who dies in Chapter 24?
(c) Admiral Yamamoto.
15. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
(a) Germany attacks Japan.
(b) America attacks Japan.
(c) Germany attacks the Soviet Union.
(d) Japan defeats China.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are H and Yoshiko going on a train?
2. What happens on December 8th?
3. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
4. What does Toshiko do for the stranded bus passengers during the flood?
5. Why does Yoshiko take the broken fork?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)