|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
(a) H spys on the military and sells the information to his friends.
(b) H decides to give up sketching anything but sumo wrestlers.
(c) H decides to learn a new skill to help his country.
(d) H disobeys any new law that is made.
2. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
(a) H must take over at the air raid drills.
(b) Association members stop by to check on her and bring sweet buns and candies.
(c) Toshiko spends three weeks in hospital.
(d) Morio quits his job at the fire station to look after her.
3. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
(a) Spy on the Japanese military.
(b) Steal food rations from her neigbors.
(c) Have an affair while Tamori was away.
(d) Refuse to wear the National Dress.
4. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher never loses his temper.
(b) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
(c) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(d) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
5. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
(b) Morio never took the physical exam.
(c) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
(d) Morio has webbed feet.
6. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
(a) The boys have impressed Mr. Suzuki with their boating skills.
(b) The boys are all safe.
(c) The boys caught seven fish for dinner.
(d) Mr. Suzuki's boat is not ruined.
7. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The torpedo.
(b) The bellycrawl.
(c) The butterfly.
(d) The pushup run.
8. Why does H lurk outside the movie theater instead of going inside?
(a) H's mother told him never to go into the theater.
(b) H isn't interested in watching movies.
(c) H doesn't want to run into Girly Boy.
(d) H never has enough money to see a film.
9. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
(a) The public are not in the mood for competition with other countries.
(b) Lack of athletes.
(c) The war with China.
(d) The anniversary celebration is proving to be expensive.
10. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
(a) Physical Education.
(d) English grammar.
11. What does a record with a red label indicate?
(a) It is a special edition.
(b) It is made in China.
(c) It is made in America.
(d) It is a religious record.
12. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
(b) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
(c) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
(d) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
13. What rule of his mothers is H embarrassed about?
(a) H must read the Bible for an hour as soon as he returns from school.
(b) H must join his mother at Church every morning for prayer.
(c) H must finish his milk before he can go out and play.
(d) H must go home directly from school before going to the beach.
14. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
(a) Shige-san is very poor at math, and is unable to perform the simplist calculations.
(b) Shige-san has a bad leg and his body tilts to one side when he walks.
(c) Shige-san is known to be a lazy and irresponsible worker.
(d) Shige-san acts inappropriately towards Toshiko when Moiro is not around.
15. Why does Yoshiko take the broken fork?
(a) Yoshiko wants to impress her mother by doing something nice.
(b) Yoshiko secretly uses chopsticks, so it doesn't matter to her what fork she is given.
(c) Yoshiko thinks H should not have to use a broken fork.
(d) Yoshiko is scared of her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hayashi warn H not to do?
2. Why does H finally decide to join the rifle club?
3. Why does Kaneda leave?
4. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
5. What does H think of Mr. Chin?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)