|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does H lurk outside the movie theater instead of going inside?
(a) H isn't interested in watching movies.
(b) H never has enough money to see a film.
(c) H's mother told him never to go into the theater.
(d) H doesn't want to run into Girly Boy.
2. What is forbidden on the train?
(b) Looking out the window at the scenery.
(c) Talking to others.
(d) Bringing your own food on the train.
3. What are octopus pots also known as?
(a) Chamber pots.
(b) Squid puddles.
(d) Fish bowls.
4. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
(a) To impress his wife.
(b) To avoid being forced to work in a factory.
(c) To help his neighbors in a more heroic way.
(d) To gain more meaning in his life.
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) H's mother.
(b) An air raid alert.
(c) An angry Instructor Tamori.
(d) A hail storm.
6. Why do H and Shingo get off the streetcar one stop early?
(a) H and Shingo don't want to be seen by their neighbors.
(b) H and Shingo want to eat some noodles.
(c) H and Shingo enjoy walking.
(d) H and Shingo want to visit their friend.
7. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
(a) Mitchan is rude to H.
(b) H is convinced that Mitchan has seen his map.
(c) Mitchan sees H in his childish pajamas.
(d) Yoshiko has told Mitchan that H likes her.
8. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio has webbed feet.
(b) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
(c) Morio never took the physical exam.
(d) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
9. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
(a) National defence.
(b) Education Ministry.
(c) Japanese military.
(d) Religious unions.
10. What happens on H's birthday?
(a) H takes a tour of the fire station.
(b) A pastor is arrested.
(c) Toshiko is investigated because of her religious beliefs.
(d) Morio is called up to work in a factory.
11. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
(b) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
(c) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(d) H's teacher never loses his temper.
12. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
(b) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
(c) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
(d) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
13. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
(a) The neighbor's house.
(b) The bathhouse.
(c) The library.
(d) For a walk.
14. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
(a) Toshiko does not want her children to feel awkward when using cutlery.
(b) All of Toshiko's friends use silverware, and she wants to fit in.
(c) Silverware is more hygienic.
(d) Silverware is easier to wash.
15. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
(b) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
(c) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
(d) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
2. What rule of his mothers is H embarrassed about?
3. Who is rescued by a German military unit?
4. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
5. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)