|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) H's English teacher is a spy.
(b) H's family are spies.
(c) The war is over.
(d) The American military is planning an invasion.
2. Who dies in Chapter 24?
(d) Admiral Yamamoto.
3. How does H find himself under the line of fire at the firing range?
(a) H is confused where to stand as it is his first time at the firing range.
(b) H is not looking where he is going.
(c) The shooters can not see him in his camouflage gear.
(d) H and his friends take a short cut and go the wrong way.
4. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Sing her favorite hymn.
(b) Practice the tambourine.
(c) Read from the Bible.
(d) Do the dishes and make his bed.
5. What are octopus pots also known as?
(a) Fish bowls.
(b) Squid puddles.
(c) Chamber pots.
6. Why does H believe Germany is not to be trusted?
(a) H secretly read an anti-German newspaper article.
(b) A German tourist stole his uncle's bicycle.
(c) The German army has attacked Japan in the past.
(d) Germany is betraying Japan when Japan needs them the most.
7. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
(a) Shige-san is very poor at math, and is unable to perform the simplist calculations.
(b) Shige-san is known to be a lazy and irresponsible worker.
(c) Shige-san has a bad leg and his body tilts to one side when he walks.
(d) Shige-san acts inappropriately towards Toshiko when Moiro is not around.
8. What is Japan experiencing a shortage of?
(b) Farm equipment.
9. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
(a) It will never happen.
(b) It might happen.
(c) It is inevitable.
(d) It has already started.
10. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
(a) H thinks he will lose the use of his arm if he does not see a doctor.
(b) The doctor gives out candy to his patients.
(c) He just wants to make things difficult for his mother.
(d) The bone setter has a reputation of being mean to young boys.
11. What is the Hoanden?
(a) The Hoanden is the celebration of the Emperor and Empress.
(b) The Hoanden is a concrete structure that houses The official royal portraits of the Emperor and Empress.
(c) The Hoanden is the official scroll containing the words of the god Susanowo.
(d) The Hoanden is the official portrait of the Emperor.
12. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The butterfly.
(b) The torpedo.
(c) The bellycrawl.
(d) The pushup run.
13. At the firing range, why are many of the shooters' bullets missing the target?
(a) The shooters are taking too long to aim.
(b) The shooters are blind.
(c) The shooters are inexperienced.
(d) The target is too far away.
14. Where does Ishizuka live?
(a) In a dorm.
(b) Next door.
(c) Behind the school.
(d) Above a bookstore.
15. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
(a) To gain more meaning in his life.
(b) To help his neighbors in a more heroic way.
(c) To avoid being forced to work in a factory.
(d) To impress his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
2. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
3. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
4. What kind of god is Susanowo?
5. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)