|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are octopus pots also known as?
(a) Chamber pots.
(c) Squid puddles.
(d) Fish bowls.
2. Why does H get angry at the newspapers?
(a) The newspapers lie and say that America is on the brink of surrendering.
(b) The newspapers publish a story falsely incriminating one of Moiro's friends.
(c) The newspapers ignore the hardwork of Kobe's women.
(d) The newspapers do not report the fatality in the bombing raid.
3. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
(a) Refuse to wear the National Dress.
(b) Steal food rations from her neigbors.
(c) Spy on the Japanese military.
(d) Have an affair while Tamori was away.
4. What happens on H's birthday?
(a) Toshiko is investigated because of her religious beliefs.
(b) A pastor is arrested.
(c) Morio is called up to work in a factory.
(d) H takes a tour of the fire station.
5. Why do H and Shingo get off the streetcar one stop early?
(a) H and Shingo want to visit their friend.
(b) H and Shingo want to eat some noodles.
(c) H and Shingo enjoy walking.
(d) H and Shingo don't want to be seen by their neighbors.
6. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
(b) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
(c) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
(d) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
7. What is Japan experiencing a shortage of?
(d) Farm equipment.
8. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Sing her favorite hymn.
(b) Practice the tambourine.
(c) Do the dishes and make his bed.
(d) Read from the Bible.
9. Why is Uncle Hadano unable to go home?
(a) The bridge has washed out.
(b) His home has washed away with the flood.
(c) The road is blocked with a herd of cattle.
(d) His bicycle has a flat tire.
10. What is forbidden on the train?
(b) Looking out the window at the scenery.
(c) Bringing your own food on the train.
(d) Talking to others.
11. What does H decide to start a business doing?
(a) Exchanging pictures of "flower cars" with whatever he can get.
(b) Decorating the "flower cars" with his drawings in exchange for free rides.
(c) Drawing portraits of people at the anniversary celebration.
(d) Stealing matches and selling them to his friends.
12. What is the Hoanden?
(a) The Hoanden is the celebration of the Emperor and Empress.
(b) The Hoanden is the official portrait of the Emperor.
(c) The Hoanden is a concrete structure that houses The official royal portraits of the Emperor and Empress.
(d) The Hoanden is the official scroll containing the words of the god Susanowo.
13. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
(a) H will join the army.
(b) H will no longer be a child.
(c) H will join the church choir.
(d) H will move in with his grandparents.
14. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
(b) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
(c) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
(d) He steals money from his mother's purse.
15. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
(b) Physical Education.
(d) English grammar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does H finally decide to join the rifle club?
2. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
3. Why does H return to the gas station after reporting what he saw?
4. What does a record with a red label indicate?
5. Why does H disapprove of people being anti-British?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)