|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does H lurk outside the movie theater instead of going inside?
(a) H doesn't want to run into Girly Boy.
(b) H isn't interested in watching movies.
(c) H never has enough money to see a film.
(d) H's mother told him never to go into the theater.
2. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
(c) English grammar.
(d) Physical Education.
3. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
(a) H and his mother are regular customers.
(b) H does a trick for the restaurant owner.
(c) H offers advice that improves a dish.
(d) H and his mother look hungry and poor.
4. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
(a) The bathhouse.
(b) For a walk.
(c) The neighbor's house.
(d) The library.
5. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Sing her favorite hymn.
(b) Read from the Bible.
(c) Practice the tambourine.
(d) Do the dishes and make his bed.
6. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio never took the physical exam.
(b) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
(c) Morio has webbed feet.
(d) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
7. What is considered "un-Japanese" at school?
(a) Wearing clothes that is not made out of khaki.
(b) Learning about foreign cultures.
(c) Talking about America or Britain.
(d) Singing German music.
8. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
(a) The club is banning all new students.
(b) H steals a pair of riding boots.
(c) H bites one of the other club members.
(d) H takes a horse out for a secret ride.
9. What does H draw sketches of during a stop?
(a) The foreigners at the train stop.
(b) Yoshiko standing next to the train.
(c) The conductor.
(d) The train's engine.
10. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
(a) To pass on accurate information.
(b) To confuse the reader.
(c) To make the enemy look bad.
(d) To build national morale.
11. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
(a) If the house collapses from a bomb, they would be trapped.
(b) Kobe will never be bombed.
(c) The war is over.
(d) Uncle Hadano's shelter is big enough for their family.
12. At the firing range, why are many of the shooters' bullets missing the target?
(a) The shooters are blind.
(b) The shooters are inexperienced.
(c) The shooters are taking too long to aim.
(d) The target is too far away.
13. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The torpedo.
(b) The bellycrawl.
(c) The pushup run.
(d) The butterfly.
14. What does H think of Mr. Chin?
(a) H respects Mr. Chin and does not think of him as a "chink."
(b) H thinks he is an enemy of Japan.
(c) H dislikes Mr. Chin because his restaurant serves strange food.
(d) H likes Mr. Chin because he gives H free fortune cookies.
15. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
(a) Mr. Suzuki's boat is not ruined.
(b) The boys have impressed Mr. Suzuki with their boating skills.
(c) The boys are all safe.
(d) The boys caught seven fish for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a record with a red label indicate?
2. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
3. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
4. What is Instructor Tamori's job?
5. What is the main focus of Tojo's tract?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)