|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio has webbed feet.
(b) Morio never took the physical exam.
(c) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
(d) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
2. What does H learn during his summer?
(a) How to steer a boat.
(b) How to mend socks.
(c) The Hiroshima dialect.
(d) A Japanese war secret.
3. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
(a) Lack of athletes.
(b) The anniversary celebration is proving to be expensive.
(c) The war with China.
(d) The public are not in the mood for competition with other countries.
4. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
(a) Yoshiko feels sad because her brother and his friends deserted her.
(b) Yoshiko feels happy because her brother let her play hide and seek with his friends.
(c) Yoshiko feels hungry.
(d) Yoshiko feels scared.
5. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
(a) H bites one of the other club members.
(b) H steals a pair of riding boots.
(c) H takes a horse out for a secret ride.
(d) The club is banning all new students.
6. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
(a) It has already started.
(b) It is inevitable.
(c) It might happen.
(d) It will never happen.
7. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
(a) America attacks Japan.
(b) Germany attacks the Soviet Union.
(c) Germany attacks Japan.
(d) Japan defeats China.
8. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
(a) To pass on accurate information.
(b) To build national morale.
(c) To confuse the reader.
(d) To make the enemy look bad.
9. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
(a) All of Toshiko's friends use silverware, and she wants to fit in.
(b) Silverware is more hygienic.
(c) Silverware is easier to wash.
(d) Toshiko does not want her children to feel awkward when using cutlery.
10. Why does H lurk outside the movie theater instead of going inside?
(a) H isn't interested in watching movies.
(b) H doesn't want to run into Girly Boy.
(c) H never has enough money to see a film.
(d) H's mother told him never to go into the theater.
11. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
(a) Toshiko spends three weeks in hospital.
(b) Association members stop by to check on her and bring sweet buns and candies.
(c) H must take over at the air raid drills.
(d) Morio quits his job at the fire station to look after her.
12. What happens on H's birthday?
(a) Morio is called up to work in a factory.
(b) A pastor is arrested.
(c) H takes a tour of the fire station.
(d) Toshiko is investigated because of her religious beliefs.
13. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
(a) They will spread trachoma.
(b) Their wish will come true.
(c) Someone will kick them from behind.
(d) They will get a heart attack.
14. Why are H and Yoshiko going on a train?
(a) To visit their cousin.
(b) To see an exhibition.
(c) To witness a religious event.
(d) To visit their grandparents.
15. Why is the English language banned?
(a) To promote the proper usage of Japanese in schools.
(b) English is difficult to read.
(c) It violates the spirit of the time.
(d) Englishmen are traders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies in Chapter 24?
2. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
3. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
4. Why is Uncle Hadano unable to go home?
5. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)