|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does H find himself under the line of fire at the firing range?
(a) H and his friends take a short cut and go the wrong way.
(b) The shooters can not see him in his camouflage gear.
(c) H is not looking where he is going.
(d) H is confused where to stand as it is his first time at the firing range.
2. What is Instructor Tamori's job?
(a) Head of the rifle club.
(b) Homeroom teacher.
(c) Military trainer.
(d) English teacher.
3. Why is Morio's apprentice, Shige, crying when H returns home from school one day?
(a) Morio yelled at Shige for measuring a garment incorrectly.
(b) Shige has been called up to the army.
(c) Shige pricked his fingers with a sewing needle.
(d) Morio has decided to let Shige go.
4. After seeing the condition of his grandparents home, how does H feel?
5. What two sports are banned?
(a) Soccer and Karate.
(b) Badminton and Swimming.
(c) Basketball and Squash.
(d) Tennis and baseball.
6. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
(a) Morio did business with American and British people prior to the war.
(b) Morio is caught spying from the roof of the fire station.
(c) Morio refused to purchase a gas mask.
(d) Morio stole some rationed goods.
7. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
(a) Germany attacks Japan.
(b) Germany attacks the Soviet Union.
(c) America attacks Japan.
(d) Japan defeats China.
8. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He steals money from his mother's purse.
(b) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
(c) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
(d) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
9. What did Tamori's wife supposedly do?
(a) Have an affair while Tamori was away.
(b) Steal food rations from her neigbors.
(c) Refuse to wear the National Dress.
(d) Spy on the Japanese military.
10. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
(a) H steals a pair of riding boots.
(b) The club is banning all new students.
(c) H takes a horse out for a secret ride.
(d) H bites one of the other club members.
11. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
(b) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(c) H's teacher never loses his temper.
(d) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
12. At the firing range, why are many of the shooters' bullets missing the target?
(a) The shooters are taking too long to aim.
(b) The shooters are inexperienced.
(c) The target is too far away.
(d) The shooters are blind.
13. What is zosui?
(a) H's favorite dessert.
(b) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
(c) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
(d) A Japanese spy.
14. Why does Yoshiko take the broken fork?
(a) Yoshiko secretly uses chopsticks, so it doesn't matter to her what fork she is given.
(b) Yoshiko is scared of her brother.
(c) Yoshiko wants to impress her mother by doing something nice.
(d) Yoshiko thinks H should not have to use a broken fork.
15. Why does H finally decide to join the rifle club?
(a) H wants to be best friends with Furuta.
(b) H wants to learn how to protect his family.
(c) H wants protection from Tamori.
(d) H is bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to H, what is the purpose of the news reports?
2. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
3. Why is H ashamed in front of Mitchan?
4. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
5. What does H's father describe his shop as?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)