|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H decide to start a business doing?
(a) Exchanging pictures of "flower cars" with whatever he can get.
(b) Stealing matches and selling them to his friends.
(c) Drawing portraits of people at the anniversary celebration.
(d) Decorating the "flower cars" with his drawings in exchange for free rides.
2. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
(a) The war is over.
(b) Kobe will never be bombed.
(c) If the house collapses from a bomb, they would be trapped.
(d) Uncle Hadano's shelter is big enough for their family.
3. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
(a) The doctor gives out candy to his patients.
(b) He just wants to make things difficult for his mother.
(c) The bone setter has a reputation of being mean to young boys.
(d) H thinks he will lose the use of his arm if he does not see a doctor.
4. What does Toshiko need to convince her neighbors to do?
(a) Buy war bonds.
(b) Work full-time in the artillery factory.
(c) Donate a certain percent of their earnings to the needy.
(d) Give away all their silver and gold.
5. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
(a) Yoshiko feels scared.
(b) Yoshiko feels happy because her brother let her play hide and seek with his friends.
(c) Yoshiko feels hungry.
(d) Yoshiko feels sad because her brother and his friends deserted her.
6. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
(a) H and his mother are regular customers.
(b) H does a trick for the restaurant owner.
(c) H offers advice that improves a dish.
(d) H and his mother look hungry and poor.
7. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
(b) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(c) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
(d) H's teacher never loses his temper.
8. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) H's family are spies.
(b) H's English teacher is a spy.
(c) The war is over.
(d) The American military is planning an invasion.
9. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
(b) Morio has webbed feet.
(c) Morio never took the physical exam.
(d) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
10. Why is Morio's apprentice, Shige, crying when H returns home from school one day?
(a) Morio yelled at Shige for measuring a garment incorrectly.
(b) Shige has been called up to the army.
(c) Morio has decided to let Shige go.
(d) Shige pricked his fingers with a sewing needle.
11. What rationed item is H annoyed by?
12. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
(a) H disobeys any new law that is made.
(b) H spys on the military and sells the information to his friends.
(c) H decides to learn a new skill to help his country.
(d) H decides to give up sketching anything but sumo wrestlers.
13. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
(a) Silverware is more hygienic.
(b) Silverware is easier to wash.
(c) All of Toshiko's friends use silverware, and she wants to fit in.
(d) Toshiko does not want her children to feel awkward when using cutlery.
14. What is Instructor Tamori's job?
(a) Homeroom teacher.
(b) English teacher.
(c) Head of the rifle club.
(d) Military trainer.
15. What does H think of Mr. Chin?
(a) H thinks he is an enemy of Japan.
(b) H likes Mr. Chin because he gives H free fortune cookies.
(c) H respects Mr. Chin and does not think of him as a "chink."
(d) H dislikes Mr. Chin because his restaurant serves strange food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the hardest drill?
2. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
3. What happens when Toshiko injures her back during an air raid drill?
4. After seeing the condition of his grandparents home, how does H feel?
5. Why does H get angry at the newspapers?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)