|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
(a) The war is over.
(b) If the house collapses from a bomb, they would be trapped.
(c) Kobe will never be bombed.
(d) Uncle Hadano's shelter is big enough for their family.
2. What does H's father describe his shop as?
(a) A local hangout.
(b) An upscale business.
(c) A meeting place for the secret police.
(d) A run of the mill tailor shop.
3. At the firing range, why are many of the shooters' bullets missing the target?
(a) The shooters are blind.
(b) The target is too far away.
(c) The shooters are inexperienced.
(d) The shooters are taking too long to aim.
4. What does H do to Girly Boy at the bathhouse?
(a) H pulls Girly Boy's towel away from him.
(b) H steals his clothes while Girly Boy is bathing.
(c) H ignores Girly Boy.
(d) H mocks Girly Boy in front of his friends.
5. What happens on H's birthday?
(a) Morio is called up to work in a factory.
(b) Toshiko is investigated because of her religious beliefs.
(c) H takes a tour of the fire station.
(d) A pastor is arrested.
6. Why do H and Shingo get off the streetcar one stop early?
(a) H and Shingo want to eat some noodles.
(b) H and Shingo want to visit their friend.
(c) H and Shingo enjoy walking.
(d) H and Shingo don't want to be seen by their neighbors.
7. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
(a) Religious unions.
(b) Education Ministry.
(c) Japanese military.
(d) National defence.
8. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) An air raid alert.
(b) H's mother.
(c) An angry Instructor Tamori.
(d) A hail storm.
9. What is considered "un-Japanese" at school?
(a) Wearing clothes that is not made out of khaki.
(b) Talking about America or Britain.
(c) Learning about foreign cultures.
(d) Singing German music.
10. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Read from the Bible.
(b) Practice the tambourine.
(c) Do the dishes and make his bed.
(d) Sing her favorite hymn.
11. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
(b) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
(c) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
(d) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
12. Why does H return to the gas station after reporting what he saw?
(a) H needs to retrieve his bag that he dropped after discovering the body.
(b) H doesn't want Girly Boy to be left alone.
(c) H needs to show the police where the body is.
(d) H is worried that someone will find Girly Boy and do harm to his body.
13. What is zosui?
(a) H's favorite dessert.
(b) A Japanese spy.
(c) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
(d) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
14. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The torpedo.
(b) The bellycrawl.
(c) The butterfly.
(d) The pushup run.
15. Why does H run away when he hears tambourines and drums approaching?
(a) H fears that the tambourine and drum players will ask him to join in.
(b) H wants to avoid his mother at all costs.
(c) H dislikes all forms of music.
(d) It means that Christian street preachers are coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does H lurk outside the movie theater instead of going inside?
2. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
3. Who dies in Chapter 24?
4. What is the main focus of Tojo's tract?
5. After seeing the condition of his grandparents home, how does H feel?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)