|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Gokoku Shrine contain?
(a) The spirit of the war dead.
(b) The crosses taken down from all the churches.
(c) The spirit of the Kobe ancestors.
(d) The personal effects of deceased soldiers.
2. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
(a) Shige-san is known to be a lazy and irresponsible worker.
(b) Shige-san acts inappropriately towards Toshiko when Moiro is not around.
(c) Shige-san has a bad leg and his body tilts to one side when he walks.
(d) Shige-san is very poor at math, and is unable to perform the simplist calculations.
3. What does Toshiko do for the stranded bus passengers during the flood?
(a) Toshiko reads the passengers a passage from the bible.
(b) Toshiko offers the female passengers a change of clothing.
(c) Toshiko invites them into her home until a new bus arrives.
(d) Toshiko brings coffee and biscuits to those waiting on the bus.
4. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
(a) Education Ministry.
(b) Religious unions.
(c) National defence.
(d) Japanese military.
5. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
(a) He just wants to make things difficult for his mother.
(b) The bone setter has a reputation of being mean to young boys.
(c) H thinks he will lose the use of his arm if he does not see a doctor.
(d) The doctor gives out candy to his patients.
6. Why does H run away when he hears tambourines and drums approaching?
(a) It means that Christian street preachers are coming.
(b) H dislikes all forms of music.
(c) H wants to avoid his mother at all costs.
(d) H fears that the tambourine and drum players will ask him to join in.
7. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
(a) H decides to give up sketching anything but sumo wrestlers.
(b) H disobeys any new law that is made.
(c) H spys on the military and sells the information to his friends.
(d) H decides to learn a new skill to help his country.
8. What is the rumor going around H's school?
(a) The American military is planning an invasion.
(b) The war is over.
(c) H's English teacher is a spy.
(d) H's family are spies.
9. What does a record with a red label indicate?
(a) It is a special edition.
(b) It is a religious record.
(c) It is made in China.
(d) It is made in America.
10. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
(a) H and his mother look hungry and poor.
(b) H does a trick for the restaurant owner.
(c) H offers advice that improves a dish.
(d) H and his mother are regular customers.
11. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
(a) Morio refused to purchase a gas mask.
(b) Morio is caught spying from the roof of the fire station.
(c) Morio stole some rationed goods.
(d) Morio did business with American and British people prior to the war.
12. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
(a) It has already started.
(b) It will never happen.
(c) It might happen.
(d) It is inevitable.
13. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
(a) H will join the church choir.
(b) H will move in with his grandparents.
(c) H will join the army.
(d) H will no longer be a child.
14. Why does Toshiko not want to buy the gas masks?
(a) Gas masks are expensive.
(b) Gas masks are poorly made.
(c) Gas masks are unattractive.
(d) Gas masks are heavy.
15. What kind of god is Susanowo?
(a) Susanowo is an unruly god.
(b) Susanowo is an unforgiving god.
(c) Susanowo is a violent god.
(d) Susanowo is a benevolent god.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
2. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
3. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
4. How does H find himself under the line of fire at the firing range?
5. Why does Yoshiko take the broken fork?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)