|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
(a) H disobeys any new law that is made.
(b) H decides to learn a new skill to help his country.
(c) H spys on the military and sells the information to his friends.
(d) H decides to give up sketching anything but sumo wrestlers.
2. What does H learn during his summer?
(a) The Hiroshima dialect.
(b) How to mend socks.
(c) How to steer a boat.
(d) A Japanese war secret.
3. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
(a) The Chinese.
(c) The Devil.
(d) Human beings.
4. What does Hayashi warn H not to do?
(a) H should not sketch pictures of soldiers.
(b) H should not read any English books.
(c) H should not go home past curfew.
(d) H should not count the number of railroad cars.
5. What wakes H and his friends up from their slumber?
(a) An angry Instructor Tamori.
(b) An air raid alert.
(c) H's mother.
(d) A hail storm.
6. Who is fond of giving "ear twists" to his students?
(a) Mr. Tamori.
(b) Mr. Hisakado.
(d) Tan Wantanabe.
7. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
(a) Yoshiko feels sad because her brother and his friends deserted her.
(b) Yoshiko feels happy because her brother let her play hide and seek with his friends.
(c) Yoshiko feels hungry.
(d) Yoshiko feels scared.
8. What is Instructor Tamori's job?
(a) Military trainer.
(b) Head of the rifle club.
(c) English teacher.
(d) Homeroom teacher.
9. What happens on H's eleventh birthday?
(a) Germany attacks Japan.
(b) Japan defeats China.
(c) America attacks Japan.
(d) Germany attacks the Soviet Union.
10. What happens on December 8th?
(a) America attacks Kobe.
(b) Japan and America sign a peace treaty.
(c) America attacks Hiroshima.
(d) Japan attacks Pearl Harbor.
11. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
(a) Physical Education.
(d) English grammar.
12. In Chapter 23, What does H do instead of studying?
(a) Play outside.
(b) Build model airplanes.
(c) Read the newspaper.
(d) Spy on the neighbors.
13. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
(b) Morio never took the physical exam.
(c) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
(d) Morio has webbed feet.
14. Why does H find it odd that Uncle Hadano is building an air raid shelter under their home?
(a) The war is over.
(b) If the house collapses from a bomb, they would be trapped.
(c) Kobe will never be bombed.
(d) Uncle Hadano's shelter is big enough for their family.
15. Why does H get angry at the newspapers?
(a) The newspapers publish a story falsely incriminating one of Moiro's friends.
(b) The newspapers do not report the fatality in the bombing raid.
(c) The newspapers ignore the hardwork of Kobe's women.
(d) The newspapers lie and say that America is on the brink of surrendering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ishizuka live?
2. What is forbidden on the train?
3. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
4. What is the Hoanden?
5. What does H's father describe his shop as?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)