|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two sports are banned?
(a) Basketball and Squash.
(b) Badminton and Swimming.
(c) Tennis and baseball.
(d) Soccer and Karate.
2. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
(a) Morio did business with American and British people prior to the war.
(b) Morio is caught spying from the roof of the fire station.
(c) Morio stole some rationed goods.
(d) Morio refused to purchase a gas mask.
3. At the firing range, why are many of the shooters' bullets missing the target?
(a) The shooters are taking too long to aim.
(b) The target is too far away.
(c) The shooters are blind.
(d) The shooters are inexperienced.
4. After seeing the condition of his grandparents home, how does H feel?
5. Who dies in Chapter 24?
(b) Admiral Yamamoto.
6. What is the National Dress Order?
(a) An order that requires all foreigners to wear traditional Japanese clothing.
(b) An order which requires all Japanese people to wear clothing made of a khaki material.
(c) An order that requires all Japanese people to wear kimonos at all times.
(d) An order that requires all Japanese people to wear Western clothing.
7. What is the Hoanden?
(a) The Hoanden is a concrete structure that houses The official royal portraits of the Emperor and Empress.
(b) The Hoanden is the celebration of the Emperor and Empress.
(c) The Hoanden is the official portrait of the Emperor.
(d) The Hoanden is the official scroll containing the words of the god Susanowo.
8. How does H afford to buy oyatsu?
(a) He does chores for his father, who in turn gives him an allowance.
(b) He steals money from his mother's purse.
(c) He steals oyatsu from the sweetshop.
(d) He trades the candy given to him by his mother with candy his friends buy from the sweetshop.
9. Why is the English language banned?
(a) English is difficult to read.
(b) Englishmen are traders.
(c) To promote the proper usage of Japanese in schools.
(d) It violates the spirit of the time.
10. Why does Morio want to become a fireman?
(a) To help his neighbors in a more heroic way.
(b) To impress his wife.
(c) To gain more meaning in his life.
(d) To avoid being forced to work in a factory.
11. How does Yoshiko feel when her brother finds her with the middle-aged woman?
(a) Yoshiko feels hungry.
(b) Yoshiko feels sad because her brother and his friends deserted her.
(c) Yoshiko feels happy because her brother let her play hide and seek with his friends.
(d) Yoshiko feels scared.
12. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
(b) Morio has webbed feet.
(c) Morio never took the physical exam.
(d) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
13. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
(a) The doctor gives out candy to his patients.
(b) He just wants to make things difficult for his mother.
(c) The bone setter has a reputation of being mean to young boys.
(d) H thinks he will lose the use of his arm if he does not see a doctor.
14. What does H do to Girly Boy at the bathhouse?
(a) H ignores Girly Boy.
(b) H steals his clothes while Girly Boy is bathing.
(c) H mocks Girly Boy in front of his friends.
(d) H pulls Girly Boy's towel away from him.
15. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The bellycrawl.
(b) The butterfly.
(c) The pushup run.
(d) The torpedo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main focus of Tojo's tract?
2. Why does Toshiko want her children to learn how to use silverware?
3. Why does H run away when he hears tambourines and drums approaching?
4. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
5. What does a record with a red label indicate?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)