|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does H think of Mr. Chin?
(a) H thinks he is an enemy of Japan.
(b) H likes Mr. Chin because he gives H free fortune cookies.
(c) H respects Mr. Chin and does not think of him as a "chink."
(d) H dislikes Mr. Chin because his restaurant serves strange food.
2. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
(a) Morio did business with American and British people prior to the war.
(b) Morio refused to purchase a gas mask.
(c) Morio is caught spying from the roof of the fire station.
(d) Morio stole some rationed goods.
3. What is stopping Japan from scheduling the Olympics at the same time as the anniversary celebration?
(a) The public are not in the mood for competition with other countries.
(b) The anniversary celebration is proving to be expensive.
(c) Lack of athletes.
(d) The war with China.
4. According to Toshiko, why will Moiro most likely not receive his call-up papers?
(a) Morio never took the physical exam.
(b) Morio is too old and has bad eyesight.
(c) Morio is too small and barely passed the physical exam.
(d) Morio has webbed feet.
5. What are octopus pots also known as?
(a) Squid puddles.
(b) Fish bowls.
(c) Chamber pots.
6. Why does Toshiko approve of Donchan and H's friendship?
(a) Toshiko approves because she is best friends with Donchan's mother.
(b) Toshiko approves because Donchan enjoys reading and speaks politely.
(c) Toshiko approves because Donchan is from a strict Christian family.
(d) Toshiko approves because Donchan keeps H out of trouble.
7. What will happen if more bombs are dropped?
(a) The newspapers will finally tell the truth.
(b) Morio will protest in the streets.
(c) The number of fires will increase.
(d) H and his family will move to the country.
8. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
(b) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
(c) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
(d) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
9. Why are H and Yoshiko going on a train?
(a) To witness a religious event.
(b) To visit their cousin.
(c) To visit their grandparents.
(d) To see an exhibition.
10. After seeing the condition of his grandparents home, how does H feel?
11. Why does Toshiko not want to buy the gas masks?
(a) Gas masks are unattractive.
(b) Gas masks are poorly made.
(c) Gas masks are heavy.
(d) Gas masks are expensive.
12. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
(a) Religious unions.
(b) Japanese military.
(c) National defence.
(d) Education Ministry.
13. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
(a) H and his mother look hungry and poor.
(b) H offers advice that improves a dish.
(c) H and his mother are regular customers.
(d) H does a trick for the restaurant owner.
14. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
(b) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
(c) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
(d) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
15. What does H's father describe his shop as?
(a) A run of the mill tailor shop.
(b) A local hangout.
(c) An upscale business.
(d) A meeting place for the secret police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
2. What is Instructor Tamori's job?
3. Why does H want to go to a doctor instead of a bone setter?
4. Why is H expelled from the riding club?
5. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)