|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
(a) H and his mother are regular customers.
(b) H and his mother look hungry and poor.
(c) H offers advice that improves a dish.
(d) H does a trick for the restaurant owner.
2. Why do the police take Morio in for questioning?
(a) Morio is caught spying from the roof of the fire station.
(b) Morio did business with American and British people prior to the war.
(c) Morio stole some rationed goods.
(d) Morio refused to purchase a gas mask.
3. What does Tan Wantanabe teach?
(a) English grammar.
(d) Physical Education.
4. What does H learn during his summer?
(a) A Japanese war secret.
(b) How to steer a boat.
(c) The Hiroshima dialect.
(d) How to mend socks.
5. What does the vice-principal say when H asks why students are not allowed to look at the photographs of the Emperor and Empress at school?
(a) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor and Empress are too important to be looked at directly.
(b) The vice-principal tells H to stop asking questions.
(c) The vice-principal tells H that the Emperor is a living god.
(d) The vice-principal tells H that the students should look to the Emperor with their hearts, not their eyes.
6. What happens with H's first shot?
(a) H completely misses the target and becomes embarrassed.
(b) H's gun misfires.
(c) H hits another shooter.
(d) H hits the bulls-eye.
7. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(b) H's teacher never loses his temper.
(c) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
(d) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
8. Why is the English language banned?
(a) To promote the proper usage of Japanese in schools.
(b) Englishmen are traders.
(c) English is difficult to read.
(d) It violates the spirit of the time.
9. What happens on December 8th?
(a) America attacks Kobe.
(b) Japan and America sign a peace treaty.
(c) America attacks Hiroshima.
(d) Japan attacks Pearl Harbor.
10. Why is H embarrassed in the doctor's waiting room?
(a) H's mother discusses his problem with everyone in the waiting room.
(b) Mitchan is waiting to see the doctor as well, and overhears what H's problem is.
(c) H's mother prays aloud that H will be cured of his bed wetting.
(d) H wets his pants while waiting to see the doctor.
11. What is the rumor going around the school in Chapter 26?
(a) The rifle club with disband.
(b) The school will close down to prepare for impending air raids.
(c) English language classes will no longer be taught in schools.
(d) Instructor Tamori will be retiring at the end of the school year.
12. Why does Yoshiko take the broken fork?
(a) Yoshiko wants to impress her mother by doing something nice.
(b) Yoshiko thinks H should not have to use a broken fork.
(c) Yoshiko is scared of her brother.
(d) Yoshiko secretly uses chopsticks, so it doesn't matter to her what fork she is given.
13. Why does H believe Germany is not to be trusted?
(a) A German tourist stole his uncle's bicycle.
(b) Germany is betraying Japan when Japan needs them the most.
(c) H secretly read an anti-German newspaper article.
(d) The German army has attacked Japan in the past.
14. What happens on H's birthday?
(a) Morio is called up to work in a factory.
(b) A pastor is arrested.
(c) Toshiko is investigated because of her religious beliefs.
(d) H takes a tour of the fire station.
15. Who is responsible for the Japanese language changes?
(a) National defence.
(b) Education Ministry.
(c) Japanese military.
(d) Religious unions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does H deal with all the new censorship and laws?
2. Why does H return to the gas station after reporting what he saw?
3. What does H tell people will happen if they look in the box at the amusement park?
4. Why does Kaneda leave?
5. What does H do to Girly Boy at the bathhouse?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)