|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does H lurk outside the movie theater instead of going inside?
(a) H doesn't want to run into Girly Boy.
(b) H never has enough money to see a film.
(c) H's mother told him never to go into the theater.
(d) H isn't interested in watching movies.
2. What will happen when H turns fifteen?
(a) H will join the army.
(b) H will join the church choir.
(c) H will move in with his grandparents.
(d) H will no longer be a child.
3. What does Toshiko need to convince her neighbors to do?
(a) Give away all their silver and gold.
(b) Work full-time in the artillery factory.
(c) Donate a certain percent of their earnings to the needy.
(d) Buy war bonds.
4. Where does H tell his parents he is going when he visits Noodles?
(a) For a walk.
(b) The bathhouse.
(c) The library.
(d) The neighbor's house.
5. What is zosui?
(a) A kind of porridge of rice and vegetables.
(b) A Japanese spy.
(c) The name of the non-aggression pact between Germany and Japan.
(d) H's favorite dessert.
6. Who is rescued by a German military unit?
(b) Prime Minister Tojo.
7. What does public opinion think of the possibility of war with America?
(a) It will never happen.
(b) It has already started.
(c) It is inevitable.
(d) It might happen.
8. Why does the owner of the noodle restaurant give H and his mother a free meal?
(a) H does a trick for the restaurant owner.
(b) H and his mother are regular customers.
(c) H offers advice that improves a dish.
(d) H and his mother look hungry and poor.
9. What puzzles H about his teacher?
(a) H's teacher gives him good grades no matter what.
(b) H's teacher is lazier than his students.
(c) H's teacher did not tell his mother about the lie he told.
(d) H's teacher never loses his temper.
10. According to Tamori, why should H's parents stop being Christians?
(a) Tamori doesn't believe in God.
(b) Toshiko and Morio had H when they were not married.
(c) Toshiko and Morio are Japanese.
(d) Toshiko and Morio don't believe in God.
11. Why does H disapprove of people being anti-British?
(a) H's best friend is British
(b) H has family living in Britain.
(c) H's father has many British customers.
(d) H's favorite music comes from Britain.
12. What does Hayashi warn H not to do?
(a) H should not read any English books.
(b) H should not go home past curfew.
(c) H should not count the number of railroad cars.
(d) H should not sketch pictures of soldiers.
13. What does H's mother make him do everyday before going to school?
(a) Sing her favorite hymn.
(b) Read from the Bible.
(c) Do the dishes and make his bed.
(d) Practice the tambourine.
14. What is the hardest drill?
(a) The bellycrawl.
(b) The pushup run.
(c) The butterfly.
(d) The torpedo.
15. What happens on December 8th?
(a) Japan attacks Pearl Harbor.
(b) Japan and America sign a peace treaty.
(c) America attacks Kobe.
(d) America attacks Hiroshima.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Morio, who caused the flood?
2. Why does Toshiko think that Shige-san is not qualified for the apprenticeship?
3. What rationed item is H annoyed by?
4. Why is Mr. Suzuki happy when he reaches the boys in the boat?
5. Why does Toshiko not want to buy the gas masks?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)