|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After 1870, how many more patents were generated than in previous years?
2. When were Americans born who were the most engaged or tolerant?
3. By 1995, what percent of Americans opposed interracial dating?
4. How much would an individual's chances of poor health increase if he moved from a state with a wealth of social capital to a state with little social capital?
5. In 1959, how many American homes had television?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Putnam believe that there was an increase in nostalgia in the late twentieth century?
2. Why had civic life been graying in the last forty years of the twentieth century?
3. What have studies shown about health and integration with the community?
4. When people said that television was their main form of entertainment, what activities did these people participate in less often?
5. What did Putnam see as a trend in newspaper readership?
6. How does social capital affect child abuse rates?
7. How did the school integration busing issue illustrate the trade-offs between bridging and bonding social capital?
8. What was discovered about social capital and how people coped with life?
9. What did the most systematic study of civic skills in contemporary America suggest?
10. What did teachers report in areas where civic engagement in community affairs in general was high?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether race was or was not responsible for social disengagement. Use arguments from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Putnam asked whether social capital was beneficial to individuals. Discuss ways that social capital benefits individuals.
Essay Topic 3
Seniors volunteered in greater numbers in the 1990s than in the 1970s. Discuss why more seniors were volunteering in the 1990s than at any other time.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)