|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state was tax evasion the highest?
2. In 1999 how many sixth-graders had a TV set in their bedroom?
3. In what country did Putnam and several colleagues investigate regional government?
4. What American president called groups organized around particular interest or passions "mischiefs of faction"?
5. What was North Carolina's rank in the nation in terms of SAT scores, achievement tests, and dropout rates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have studies shown about health and integration with the community?
2. How did the school integration busing issue illustrate the trade-offs between bridging and bonding social capital?
3. What did teachers report in areas where civic engagement in community affairs in general was high?
4. Materially, how did the standard of living improve in the United States during the 50 years after the Civil War?
5. Why did John Stuart Mill laud the effects of participatory democracy on character?
6. Which Americans were more likely to be involved in religious activities?
7. What was discovered about social capital and how people coped with life?
8. What did Putnam believe that leaders and activists must seek to do to rebuild social capital?
9. Why had civic life been graying in the last forty years of the twentieth century?
10. Why did smaller schools encourage more active involvement in extracurricular activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what sprawl is and how it contributes to social disengagement.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the decline of unions and the reasons why union membership declined in the twentieth century.
Essay Topic 3
Putnam looked at official membership as a barometer of community involvement. Discuss how official membership could be a measurement of community involvement and what membership showed about civic involvement.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)