|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Korean business owners used debt financing to start their enterprises?
2. In Figure 82 "Index of Educational Performance," what state was at the bottom of the chart?
3. How much would an individual's chances of poor health increase if he moved from a state with a wealth of social capital to a state with little social capital?
4. What was North Carolina's rank in the nation in terms of SAT scores, achievement tests, and dropout rates?
5. What percent of the total decline of engagement might have been due to pressures of time and money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Materially, how did the standard of living improve in the United States during the 50 years after the Civil War?
2. What did the most systematic study of civic skills in contemporary America suggest?
3. Why had civic life been graying in the last forty years of the twentieth century?
4. What was different about American males in their sixties and seventies at the end of the twentieth century than their grandsons?
5. How does social capital affect child abuse rates?
6. What is one of the strongest predictors of whether inner-city black youths find jobs and why?
7. Why did Putnam believe that there was an increase in nostalgia in the late twentieth century?
8. What was discovered about social capital and how people coped with life?
9. What characteristics did criminologist Robert J. Sampson see in communities that had increased crime and violence?
10. What is generally accepted as the most reliable index of the incidence of crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss bridging and bonding and provide some examples of how these types of social capital work in society.
Essay Topic 2
Putnam stated that "bowling alone" represented one of the nation's most serious public health challenges. Discuss why social cohesion is important for good health.
Essay Topic 3
The mass-membership organization rose in the late twentieth century. Discuss the mass-membership organization and its role in society.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)