|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the government put in place slum clearance policies?
(b) 1960s and 1970s.
(c) 1950s and 1960s.
2. When was "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" written?
3. In what country did Putnam and several colleagues investigate regional government?
4. How large of a gorilla did Robinson and Godbey compare television to?
(a) 1,000 pound.
(b) 800 pound.
(c) 750 pound.
(d) 500 pound.
5. When did divorce rates accelerate?
(c) 1960s to mid-1970s.
(d) 1970s to mid-1980s.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Death and Life of Great American Cities"?
2. Who was the first American Nobel Laureate for literature?
3. What state ranked 9th in the nation in terms of SAT scores, achievement tests, and dropout rates?
4. During what time period was the Gilded Age?
5. In which Arthur Miller book did Miller argue that "witches" or anyone who didn't fit in be shunned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did teachers report in areas where civic engagement in community affairs in general was high?
2. What characteristics did criminologist Robert J. Sampson see in communities that had increased crime and violence?
3. What was discovered about social capital and how people coped with life?
4. Why had civic life been graying in the last forty years of the twentieth century?
5. How does social capital affect child abuse rates?
6. Materially, how did the standard of living improve in the United States during the 50 years after the Civil War?
7. What is generally accepted as the most reliable index of the incidence of crime?
8. Which Americans were more likely to be involved in religious activities?
9. Why when looking for a job, did Mark Granovetter document that acquaintances were more important than other factors?
10. How did commentators like Michael Schudson and Alan Wolfe view the change in social capital from the 1950s to the 1960s?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)