|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which Arthur Miller book did Miller argue that "witches" or anyone who didn't fit in be shunned?
(a) View from a Bridge.
(b) Death of a Salesman.
(c) After the Fall.
(d) The Crucible.
2. If someone belonged to no groups, but decided to join one, how much would he cut his risk of dying over the next year?
3. What percent of the total decline of engagement might have been due to pressures of time and money?
4. What small, Italian American community had been studied for nearly 40 years beginning in the 1950s?
(a) Milano, Pennsylvania.
(b) Rome Point, Rhode Island.
(c) Coventry, Rhode Island.
(d) Roseto, Pennsylvania.
5. By the time the average baby boomer reached age 16, how many hours of television had he watched?
(a) 5,000 to 6,000 hours.
(b) 25,000 hours.
(c) 12,000 to 15,000 hours.
(d) 20,000 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "It is a medium of entertainment that permits millions of people to listen to the same joke at the same time, and yet remain lonesome."
2. When did divorce rates accelerate?
3. In 1870, how many miles were there in the nationwide rail network?
4. In Figure 82 "Index of Educational Performance," what state was at the bottom of the chart?
5. When was the Great Awakening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did circumstantial evidence suggest that big government caused civic disengagement?
2. What were some inventions that transformed American life after 1870?
3. Materially, how did the standard of living improve in the United States during the 50 years after the Civil War?
4. Why did smaller schools encourage more active involvement in extracurricular activity?
5. Why did Putnam believe that there was an increase in nostalgia in the late twentieth century?
6. Which Americans were more likely to be involved in religious activities?
7. What is one of the strongest predictors of whether inner-city black youths find jobs and why?
8. What did the most systematic study of civic skills in contemporary America suggest?
9. What have studies shown about health and integration with the community?
10. What did Putnam believe that leaders and activists must seek to do to rebuild social capital?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)