|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many indicators of formal and informal community networks and social trust were studied across the U.S. to rate the average social capital of various states?
2. In what pastoral state did attendance at town meetings fall by nearly half between the early 1970s and the late 1990s?
3. In Figure 59, what percent of Americans spent their evenings watching TV?
(a) 62 percent.
(b) 79 percent.
(c) 81 percent.
(d) 47 percent.
4. In which Arthur Miller book did Miller argue that "witches" or anyone who didn't fit in be shunned?
(a) After the Fall.
(b) Death of a Salesman.
(c) The Crucible.
(d) View from a Bridge.
5. What is the nickname for the state of North Carolina?
(a) Tar Heel State.
(b) Yellowhammer State.
(c) The Peach State.
(d) The Old Dominion State.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Progressive Era?
2. Which state had the highest rate of murders?
3. When did the government put in place slum clearance policies?
4. When did Mark Granovetter document the fact that casual acquaintances can be more important assets than close friends and family when looking for a job?
5. Where was a study done that indicated that each employed person in one's social network increased one's annual income by $1,400?
Short Essay Questions
1. When people said that television was their main form of entertainment, what activities did these people participate in less often?
2. What did Putnam believe that leaders and activists must seek to do to rebuild social capital?
3. How does social capital affect child abuse rates?
4. Why had civic life been graying in the last forty years of the twentieth century?
5. What is generally accepted as the most reliable index of the incidence of crime?
6. Why when looking for a job, did Mark Granovetter document that acquaintances were more important than other factors?
7. What did teachers report in areas where civic engagement in community affairs in general was high?
8. How did the school integration busing issue illustrate the trade-offs between bridging and bonding social capital?
9. What was different about American males in their sixties and seventies at the end of the twentieth century than their grandsons?
10. What did Putnam see as a trend in newspaper readership?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)