|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city launched a path-breaking education reform in the late 1980s that had parent participation as a cornerstone?
2. How many indicators of formal and informal community networks and social trust were studied across the U.S. to rate the average social capital of various states?
3. When did the government put in place slum clearance policies?
(a) 1950s and 1960s.
(b) 1960s and 1970s.
4. When were Americans born who were the most engaged or tolerant?
5. What type of a culture was found in the South?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" written?
2. Who wrote a book profiling the heroic World War II generation that got mixed reviews from critics, but was a runaway best-seller?
3. Who was the first American Nobel Laureate for literature?
4. Where was it first written that "To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under the heaven"?
5. When was the Great Awakening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Putnam believe that there was an increase in nostalgia in the late twentieth century?
2. What did Putnam see as a trend in newspaper readership?
3. How does social capital affect child abuse rates?
4. What was different about American males in their sixties and seventies at the end of the twentieth century than their grandsons?
5. When people said that television was their main form of entertainment, what activities did these people participate in less often?
6. What was discovered about social capital and how people coped with life?
7. Why did circumstantial evidence suggest that big government caused civic disengagement?
8. What did the most systematic study of civic skills in contemporary America suggest?
9. What did Putnam believe that leaders and activists must seek to do to rebuild social capital?
10. How did the school integration busing issue illustrate the trade-offs between bridging and bonding social capital?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)