|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was North Carolina's rank in the nation in terms of SAT scores, achievement tests, and dropout rates?
2. What city launched a path-breaking education reform in the late 1980s that had parent participation as a cornerstone?
3. What proportion of American workers reported some flexibility in their work schedules in 1997?
(a) 35 percent.
(b) 25 percent.
(c) 20 percent.
(d) 30 percent.
4. What small, Italian American community had been studied for nearly 40 years beginning in the 1950s?
(a) Rome Point, Rhode Island.
(b) Roseto, Pennsylvania.
(c) Milano, Pennsylvania.
(d) Coventry, Rhode Island.
5. In Figure 82 "Index of Educational Performance," what state was at the bottom of the chart?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state was tax evasion the highest?
2. How long had studies been conducted that showed that small schools tended to outperform large schools?
3. When was the Great Awakening?
4. When did Mark Granovetter document the fact that casual acquaintances can be more important assets than close friends and family when looking for a job?
5. How large of a gorilla did Robinson and Godbey compare television to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the strongest predictors of whether inner-city black youths find jobs and why?
2. How might social capital serve as a physiological triggering mechanism?
3. Why had civic life been graying in the last forty years of the twentieth century?
4. How did commentators like Michael Schudson and Alan Wolfe view the change in social capital from the 1950s to the 1960s?
5. Materially, how did the standard of living improve in the United States during the 50 years after the Civil War?
6. When people said that television was their main form of entertainment, what activities did these people participate in less often?
7. What have studies shown about health and integration with the community?
8. What did teachers report in areas where civic engagement in community affairs in general was high?
9. Why did John Stuart Mill laud the effects of participatory democracy on character?
10. Why when looking for a job, did Mark Granovetter document that acquaintances were more important than other factors?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)