|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What age group of people was more likely to make telephone calls?
(a) People under 45.
(b) People over 50.
(c) People in their 20s.
(d) People in their 30s.
2. When was there a strike by air traffic controllers?
3. During what period of time had the character of Americans' involvement with politics and government been transformed?
(a) Last 3 decades of the twentieth century.
(c) Last 2 decades of the twentieth century.
4. How many organizations did Putnam find listed in the "World Alamanc"?
5. In surveys, how many Americans said that they believed in immortality?
(a) 5 out of 6.
(b) 4 out of 5.
(c) 2 out of 3.
(d) 3 out of 4.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1996, how many Americans voted in the election between Clinton, Dole, and Perot?
2. How much was spent on Presidential election campaigns in 1965?
3. According to Wuthnow, what percent of American said that they participated regularly in self-help groups like Alcoholics Anonymous?
4. By how much did Greenpeace's membership drop when they stopped using direct-mail solicitation?
5. What was the one democracy that had a lower voter turnout than the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities did women participate in as "machers"?
2. Why weren't the 1950s and 1960s a "golden age"?
3. What does it take to be a member of AARP?
4. What did one scholar say about religion and America?
5. What changes in union membership have been seen in the twentieth century?
6. What happened to the Little Rock, Arkansas Sertoma Club?
7. What was the change in the membership numbers of major national professional organizations during the last half of the twentieth century?
8. What analogy did Putnam use to show how frequent moves disrupt civic engagement?
9. How did America compare with other democracies in the rate of political participation?
10. Why did the Charity League of Dallas have to hold their last meeting?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)