|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What age group of people was more likely to make telephone calls?
(a) People under 45.
(b) People over 50.
(c) People in their 30s.
(d) People in their 20s.
2. In the late twentieth century, how many workers belonged to unions?
(a) 11.8 percent.
(b) 14.1 percent.
(c) 39.2 percent.
(d) 21.9 percent.
3. How much had states spent on "motor voter" registration?
(a) $58 million.
(b) $79 million.
(c) $45 million.
(d) $100 million.
4. In the 1990s, how many Americans moved?
(a) 16 percent.
(b) 32 percent.
(c) 8 percent.
(d) 24 percent.
5. During the 1950s and 1960s, what percent of workers belonged to professional associations and other economic organizations (other than unions)?
(a) 8-10 percent.
(b) 5-7 percent.
(c) 3-4 percent.
(d) 11-15 percent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between the 1970s and 1990s, by what percent did church attendance fall among people under sixty?
2. Compared to the rest of the population, how much less time did people who spent more time at work have to watch television?
3. In 1996, how many Americans voted in the election between Clinton, Dole, and Perot?
4. By 1999, what was the average age of those who were members of the American Contract Bridge League?
5. What Agatha Christie book did Putnam mention in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why aren't voting and following politics, strictly speaking, social capital?
2. What are intracohort changes?
3. What did time diaries from 1965, 1975, 1985, and 1995 reveal about participation in religious activities?
4. Why was altruism an important diagnostic sign of social capital?
5. What happened to the Little Rock, Arkansas Sertoma Club?
6. Why would being too busy be an obvious reason for the tendency to drop out of community affairs?
7. What does it take to be a member of AARP?
8. How was the early nineteenth century in New England "a very social time"?
9. What activities did women participate in as "machers"?
10. In what group was there seen an increase in volunteering?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)