|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years did the Charity League of Dallas meet every Friday morning?
2. Compared to the rest of the population, how much less time did people who spent more time at work have to watch television?
(a) 17 percent.
(b) 41 percent.
(c) 20 percent.
(d) 30 percent.
3. Who said "80 percent of life is simply showing up"?
(a) Sid Caesar.
(b) Woody Allen.
(c) Bob Hope.
(d) Bill Cosby.
4. What publication ran an article about the challenge of free time and Americans in 1964?
(a) New Yorker.
(b) Wall Street Journal.
5. For how many years did the Vassar alumnae of Washington, D.C., have an annual book sale?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1990s, how many Americans moved?
2. According to sociologist Robert Wuthnow, what percent of Americans claimed to be "currently involved in [a] small group that [met] regularly and [provided] support or caring for those who particpate[d] in it"?
3. What percent of individuals did Jeremy Toole believed received their social connections from the workplace?
4. Of the 28,000 National Audubon Society members in Texas, how many were active members?
5. In the late twentieth century, how many workers belonged to unions?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what did Putnam compare the mystery behind the erosion of social capital?
2. Why did the Charity League of Dallas have to hold their last meeting?
3. Why weren't the 1950s and 1960s a "golden age"?
4. How were African Americans prevented from voting?
5. What was the change in the membership numbers of major national professional organizations during the last half of the twentieth century?
6. What did one scholar say about religion and America?
7. What contributed to the decline in religious participation?
8. What happened to the Little Rock, Arkansas Sertoma Club?
9. What did surveys show about schmoozing?
10. What are intracohort changes?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)