|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many members did the bridge club in Chapter 1 have in 1990?
(a) 25 or so.
2. What was the one democracy that had a lower voter turnout than the United States?
3. What did sociologists Claude Fischer and Robert Jackson call single-stranded interactions that began to take place in America?
(a) Communities of limited liability.
(b) Communities of one.
(c) Personal communities.
(d) Individual communities.
4. Where was a close-knit Jewish neighborhood that celebrated Purim by visits and bringing gifts of fruit and pastries?
(d) Rhode Island.
5. According to Wuthnow, what percent of American said that they participated regularly in self-help groups like Alcoholics Anonymous?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1960, how many American adults graduated from high school?
2. What university studied the changes in personal behavior between 1957 and 1976?
3. How many years did the Charity League of Dallas meet every Friday morning?
4. Between 1970 and 1998, by how much did the number of full-service restaurants per one hundred thousand population fall?
5. By the end of the twentieth century, how many Americans were in the labor force?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contributed to the decline in religious participation?
2. What changes in union membership have been seen in the twentieth century?
3. What were some organizational affiliations that Americans have had since the 1950s?
4. To what did Putnam compare the mystery behind the erosion of social capital?
5. Why did the Charity League of Dallas have to hold their last meeting?
6. How did the amount of money that Americans spent on dues relate to the priority they placed on organizational involvement?
7. What happened to the Little Rock, Arkansas Sertoma Club?
8. How was the early nineteenth century in New England "a very social time"?
9. How did America compare with other democracies in the rate of political participation?
10. If fewer survey respondents said that "Most people can be trusted," what might that mean?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)