|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was a study done that indicated that each employed person in one's social network increased one's annual income by $1,400?
(a) San Francisco.
2. What proportion of American workers reported some flexibility in their work schedules in 1997?
(a) 30 percent.
(b) 25 percent.
(c) 20 percent.
(d) 35 percent.
3. What state ranked 9th in the nation in terms of SAT scores, achievement tests, and dropout rates?
(a) New York.
4. Who said, "It is a medium of entertainment that permits millions of people to listen to the same joke at the same time, and yet remain lonesome."
(a) Conrad Aiken.
(b) Frank Bidart.
(c) E. E. Cummings.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
5. After 1870, how many more patents were generated than in previous years?
(a) 10 times.
(b) 20 times.
(c) 5 times.
(d) 15 times.
6. What city launched a path-breaking education reform in the late 1980s that had parent participation as a cornerstone?
7. In 1956, what percent of white Americans believed that whites and blacks should attend separate schools?
8. What American President proposed that "counties be divided into wards of such size that every citizen can attend, when called on, and act in person"?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Washington.
(d) James Madison.
9. When were Americans born who were the most engaged or tolerant?
10. When did divorce rates accelerate?
(a) 1970s to mid-1980s.
(d) 1960s to mid-1970s.
11. What is the nickname for the state of North Carolina?
(a) Tar Heel State.
(b) The Peach State.
(c) The Old Dominion State.
(d) Yellowhammer State.
12. How many Korean business owners used debt financing to start their enterprises?
(a) 60 percent.
(b) 70 percent.
(c) 50 percent.
(d) 40 percent.
13. In what state was tax evasion the highest?
14. When was Charles Tilly born?
15. Which state had the highest rate of murders?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which state had the least number of murders?
2. What type of a culture was found in the South?
3. Who said, "The trouble with socialism is that it would take too many evenings"?
4. Researchers at what university discovered that people with more diverse social ties got fewer colds?
5. How many tons of steel were produced in 1900?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)