|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sociologist Wade Clark Roof estimated that 2/3 of all boomers reared in religious traditions dropped out. How many returned to religion?
(a) Less than 1/5.
(b) Less than 1/4.
(c) Less than 1/3.
(d) Less than 1/2.
2. In the 1990s, how many Americans moved?
(a) 24 percent.
(b) 8 percent.
(c) 32 percent.
(d) 16 percent.
3. By November, 1998, how many members attended a heated contest for the president of the Roanoke, Virginia Chapter of the NAACP?
4. During what period of time had the character of Americans' involvement with politics and government been transformed?
(a) Last 2 decades of the twentieth century.
(c) Last 3 decades of the twentieth century.
5. In the 1940s, how likely was it that a deck of playing cards would be found in American homes?
(a) 79 percent.
(b) 93 percent.
(c) 87 percent.
(d) 61 percent.
6. For how long did the Jim Crow laws depress voting rates?
(a) 70 years.
(b) 100 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 80 years.
7. Out of every dollar spent for leisure in 1929, how many cents went to club and fraternal dues?
8. In 1997, what percent of college freshmen indicated no religious preference?
9. For how many years did the Vassar alumnae of Washington, D.C., have an annual book sale?
10. In the 1950s, how many Americans changed residence each year?
(a) 10 percent.
(b) 15 percent.
(c) 20 percent.
(d) 30 percent.
11. Between the 1970s and 1990s, by what percent did church attendance fall among people under sixty?
12. Compared to the rest of the population, how much less time did people who spent more time at work have to watch television?
(a) 20 percent.
(b) 30 percent.
(c) 17 percent.
(d) 41 percent.
13. How many members did the bridge club in Chapter 1 have in 1990?
(a) 25 or so.
14. In Chapter 5, what percent of corporate executives said that they encourage their employees to become involved in community service?
15. During what decades did giving in America increase to nearly 50 percent?
(a) 1944 to 1960.
(b) 1933 to 1951.
(c) 1921 to 1942.
(d) 1960 to 1965.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the one democracy that had a lower voter turnout than the United States?
2. In 1966, what percent of Americans rejected the view that "the people running the country don't really care what happens to you"?
3. In 1999, what percent of Americans owned their own home?
4. When did the membership of community involvement groups plateau?
5. In 1960, how many voting-age Americans went to the polls to choose between Kennedy and Nixon?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)