|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1960, how many American adults graduated from high school?
(a) 39 percent.
(b) 41 percent.
(c) 23 percent.
(d) 56 percent.
2. In what state did the KKK want to "adopt a highway"?
3. By 1992, how many work places had "quality circles"?
(a) 67 percent.
(b) 39 percent.
(c) 41 percent.
(d) 56 percent.
4. How much did the number of nonprofit organizations of national scope listed in "Encylopedia of Associations" change between 1968 and 1997?
(a) Four time as many.
(b) Twice as many.
5. In the 1990s, how many Americans moved?
(a) 32 percent.
(b) 8 percent.
(c) 24 percent.
(d) 16 percent.
6. In 1986, what percent of all organization members had served as an officer?
7. What Chicago suburb was closely studied by urbanist William Whyte?
(a) Wonder Lake.
(c) Park Forest.
(d) Round Lake Beach.
8. How many members did the bridge club in Chapter 1 have in 1990?
(d) 25 or so.
9. When was the PTA founded?
10. During what decades did giving in America increase to nearly 50 percent?
(a) 1921 to 1942.
(b) 1944 to 1960.
(c) 1960 to 1965.
(d) 1933 to 1951.
11. How many members did the Environmental Defense Fund have in 1995?
12. Where in America has there been the most religious disengagement?
13. How much higher were crime rates in cities than in small towns or rural areas?
(a) 4-5 times.
(b) 3-4 times.
(c) 2-3 times.
(d) 1-2 times.
14. When were members playing regularly in the bridge club Putnam mentioned in Chapter 1?
15. What did sociologists Claude Fischer and Robert Jackson call single-stranded interactions that began to take place in America?
(a) Communities of one.
(b) Personal communities.
(c) Communities of limited liability.
(d) Individual communities.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the small groups that Americans participated in were Sunday school classes, prayer fellowships, Bible study groups, and other church-related groups?
2. For men in the years between 1965 and 1995, how much more time did they have for leisure activities per week?
3. In Gallup Polls in the 1990s, how many workers said they enjoyed work hours more than hours when they were not at work?
4. Between 1970 and 1998, by how much did the number of full-service restaurants per one hundred thousand population fall?
5. Where were groups of working-class housewives most likely to play cards frequently?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)