|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state did the Three Mile Island nuclear accident occur?
(d) New York.
2. By what percent did religious adherence grow steadily from 1776 to 1980?
3. When did something important happen to social bonds and civic engagement in America?
(a) First half of the century.
(b) Last half of the century.
(c) Last 1/3 of the century.
(d) Last 2/3 of the century.
4. When was the Roanoke, Virginia Chapter of the NAACP established?
5. How many of AARP's members belonged to local chapters?
(a) Less than 15 percent.
(b) Less than 10 percent.
(c) Less than 20 percent.
(d) Less than 5 percent.
6. What ages of women in the 1980s and 1990s felt the most harried?
7. Who wrote in 1959 that "the ratio of political activists to the general population, and even the ratio of male activists to the male population, has generally increased over the past fifty years"?
(a) Rachel Carson
(b) Robert E. Lane.
(c) Virginia Held.
(d) Daniel Bell.
8. Where was a close-knit Jewish neighborhood that celebrated Purim by visits and bringing gifts of fruit and pastries?
(c) Rhode Island.
9. What Agatha Christie book did Putnam mention in Chapter 10?
(a) A Murder is Announced.
(b) Murder on the Orient Express.
(c) Ordeal by Innocence.
(d) The Moving Finger.
10. In 1985, of the 205 national citizens groups in existence, how many had chapters to which individual members belonged and paid dues?
(a) Less than 1/4.
(b) Less than 1/3.
(c) Less than 3/4.
(d) Less than 1/2.
11. How many years did the Charity League of Dallas meet every Friday morning?
12. On average, how many times did Americans who regularly attended both church and clubs volunteer?
13. Between 1976 and 1997, what was the drop in families with children between eight to seventeen who vacationed together?
(a) 38 percent.
(b) 12 percent.
(c) 49 percent.
(d) 26 percent.
14. Compared to the rest of the population, how much less time did people who spent more time at work have to watch television?
(a) 20 percent.
(b) 30 percent.
(c) 41 percent.
(d) 17 percent.
15. In 1998, how many people believed that people lived as honestly and morally as they used to?
(a) Between 25 and 35 percent.
(b) Between 15 and 20 percent.
(c) Between 5 and 10 percent.
(d) Between 20 and 30 percent.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year were Americans split about fifty-fifty on the issue whether society was as upright morally as it has been in the past?
2. By what year did it become a struggle for VFW Post 2378 in Berwyn, Illinois, to pay taxes on the post hall?
3. When was the PTA founded?
4. In Chapter 5, what percent of corporate executives said that they encourage their employees to become involved in community service?
5. During the last three hundred years, what percent of the American population has probably participated in congregations with some regularity?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)