|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shrugs in response to being notified about Boule de Suif crying in the coach from Totes?
2. In the afternoon their second day in Totes, who proposes the passengers go for a walk in the village neighborhood?
3. As they discuss the Prussian officer on the third day in Totes, why does Madame Carre-Lamadon's eyes glisten and her face grow pale?
4. On their walk the second day in Totes, what looks "so mournful and depressing" to the passengers that they retraced their steps?
5. According to Monsieur Carre-Lamadon, if the French made a counter attack by way of Dieppe, their encounter with the enemy would inevitably take place where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the notion of heroism is portrayed in the story. What makes Boule de Suif a heroine?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the psychology of occupation during the Franco-Prussian war.
1) How do the citizens cope with occupation?
2) How do the German soldiers behave in the cities they occupy?
3) How doe the French soldiers behave in Rouen?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Boule de Suif and Cornudet.
1) What makes them outsiders in the story and why?
2) Who is more or less sympathetic and why?
3) Who has more power and why?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)