|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Boule de Suif arrives at the coach from their departure from Totes, why do the tier skirts appear "infected with some deadly disease"?
2. How does Boule de Suif react to the passengers' response to her when she arrives at the coach for their departure?
3. When the coach starts on its departure from Totes, what is Boule de Suif's attitude toward her neighbors?
4. Who is the first person to notice that Boule de Suif is weeping in the coach from Totes?
5. When the passengers return from their walk on the second day in Totes, why do the exchange sharp words over the "merest trifles"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the main antagonist in "Boule de Suif"? Is it the Prussian officer or the other passengers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss dramatic irony in "Boule de Suif."
1) Define dramatic irony.
2) What scenes employ dramatic irony?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Boule de Suif and Cornudet.
1) What makes them outsiders in the story and why?
2) Who is more or less sympathetic and why?
3) Who has more power and why?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)