|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the third day in Totes, which person suggests that they deliver Boule de Suif "bound hand and foot" to the Prussian officer?
2. Who "remained apart from the rest, taking no share in the plot" of persuading Boule de Suif to sleep with the Prussian.
3. What "broke forth like a cord that is overstrained" for Boule de Suif in the coach on their trip from Totes?
4. When the church bell summons the faithful on the third morning in Totes, what does Boule de Suif think about that convinces her to attend the ceremony?
5. What efforts at self-control does Boule de Suif attempt to do in the coach on their trip from Totes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Boule de Suif and Cornudet.
1) What makes them outsiders in the story and why?
2) Who is more or less sympathetic and why?
3) Who has more power and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of gender in "Boule de Suif"? Who embraces their gendered roles and why? Who defies their gendered roles and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Boule de Suif's betrayal in the story. Who betrays her and why?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)