|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the married women "utterly humiliated" at being met by the person on their walk the second day?
2. In the coach on their departure from Totes, what is Madame d'Etrelles' two talents that are discussed?
3. When the church bell summons the faithful on the third morning in Totes, what does Boule de Suif think about that convinces her to attend the ceremony?
4. What is the tone Maupassant uses in describing the "good sisters" in the coach on their departure from Totes?
5. As they discuss persuading Boule de Suif on the third day in Totes, how did the Count utter several "rather risky witticisms"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the psychology of occupation during the Franco-Prussian war.
1) How do the citizens cope with occupation?
2) How do the German soldiers behave in the cities they occupy?
3) How doe the French soldiers behave in Rouen?
Essay Topic 2
Compare & contrast Cornudet and the Prussian officer.
1) What are the similarities in their treatment of Boule de Suif?
2) What are the differences in their treatment of Boule de Suif?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of "Boule de Suif." What is the setting and why is it significant?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)