|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the afternoon their second day in Totes, who proposes the passengers go for a walk in the village neighborhood?
2. What metaphor does Maupassant use to describe Boule de Suif's tears in the coach from Totes?
3. Where did Loiseau get the object he takes out in the coach on their departure from Totes?
4. On the second day in Totes, the coach passengers, for want of something better to do before lunch, do what?
5. As they discuss persuading Boule de Suif on the third day in Totes, how did the Count utter several "rather risky witticisms"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Food is critical in the story. Discuss how the characters both come together and are divided during meal times.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the psychology of occupation during the Franco-Prussian war.
1) How do the citizens cope with occupation?
2) How do the German soldiers behave in the cities they occupy?
3) How doe the French soldiers behave in Rouen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Boule de Suif's betrayal in the story. Who betrays her and why?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)