|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the third day in Totes, which person suggests that they deliver Boule de Suif "bound hand and foot" to the Prussian officer?
2. When the ladies talk about the Prussian soldier on their walk the second day, why does Madame Carre-Lamadon state that she regrets the soldier is not a Frenchman?
3. Whose "vulgar temperament broke bounds" after Monsieur Follenvie returned from the Prussian officer's room on the third day in Totes?
4. On their walk the second day in Totes, what looks "so mournful and depressing" to the passengers that they retraced their steps?
5. How does Boule de Suif react to the passengers' response to her when she arrives at the coach for their departure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hypocrisy is a major theme in Boule de Suif. Discuss who is hypocritical in the story and why.
Essay Topic 2
Compare treatment of Boule de Suif before and after her compliance to sleep with the Prussian officer. What are the similarities and differences by the other passengers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss authorial point of view in the story.
1) What are Maupassant's views on his characters?
2) Who does he sympathize with, and why?
3) How does the tone and choice of words reveal the authorial point of view?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)