|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the clatter that can be heard in the coach as they make their journey from Totes?
2. When the ladies talk about the Prussian soldier on their walk the second day, why does Madame Carre-Lamadon state that she regrets the soldier is not a Frenchman?
3. When Boule de Suif arrives at the coach for their departure from Totes, how does Madame Carre-Lamadon respond to her greeting?
4. On their walk the second day in Totes, what do the ladies discuss as the men talk of war?
5. On the third day in Totes, which person suggests that they deliver Boule de Suif "bound hand and foot" to the Prussian officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Boule de Suif and Cornudet.
1) What makes them outsiders in the story and why?
2) Who is more or less sympathetic and why?
3) Who has more power and why?
Essay Topic 2
Language is a powerful tool in the story. Choose 2 scenes and discuss how language is used to manipulate, convince, lecture, flatter, and/or demean Boule de Suif.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict in "Boule de Suif."
1) What is the conflict between Boule de Suif and society?
2) What is the conflict between Boule de Suif, the other passengers, and the Prussian officer?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)