|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "broke forth like a cord that is overstrained" for Boule de Suif in the coach on their trip from Totes?
2. What is Boule de Suif's expression as she begins to cry in the coach from Totes?
3. In the afternoon their second day in Totes, who proposes the passengers go for a walk in the village neighborhood?
4. What is the Prussian officer's response to their question about detention on the third day in Totes?
5. As they discuss the Prussian officer on the third day in Totes, why does Madame Carre-Lamadon's eyes glisten and her face grow pale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare & contrast Cornudet and the Prussian officer.
1) What are the similarities in their treatment of Boule de Suif?
2) What are the differences in their treatment of Boule de Suif?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Boule de Suif and Cornudet.
1) What makes them outsiders in the story and why?
2) Who is more or less sympathetic and why?
3) Who has more power and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss sex in the story.
1) How is sex used as a weapon against Boule de Suif?
2) How is Boule de Suif a victim of her profession?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)