|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boule de Suif remember about their trip to Totes in the coach departing from it?
2. What efforts at self-control does Boule de Suif attempt to do in the coach on their trip from Totes?
3. Who states after dinner the third day in Totes, "when women run after uniforms it's all the same to them whether the men who wear them are French or Prussian. It's perfectly sickening!"
4. Who kept "suddenly busy" after Boule de Suif greets Madame Carre-Lamadon in the coach from Totes?
5. On the third day the passengers are in Totes, why are the ladies pleasant to Boule de Suif until lunch time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss sex in the story.
1) How is sex used as a weapon against Boule de Suif?
2) How is Boule de Suif a victim of her profession?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the psychology of occupation during the Franco-Prussian war.
1) How do the citizens cope with occupation?
2) How do the German soldiers behave in the cities they occupy?
3) How doe the French soldiers behave in Rouen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss authorial point of view in the story.
1) What are Maupassant's views on his characters?
2) Who does he sympathize with, and why?
3) How does the tone and choice of words reveal the authorial point of view?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)