|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of paper is the cheese that Comtess de Breville take out in the coach on their departure from Totes wrapped in?
2. In the coach on their departure from Totes, what is Madame d'Etrelles' two talents that are discussed?
3. What dropped into Cornudet's mighty beard during their trip from Totes that looked like "stars"?
4. On the third day in Totes, which person suggests that they deliver Boule de Suif "bound hand and foot" to the Prussian officer?
5. As they discuss the Prussian officer on the third day in Totes, why does Madame Carre-Lamadon's eyes glisten and her face grow pale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of religion in "Boule de Suif"?
1) How are the nuns portrayed in the story?
2) What is Boule de Suif's relationship to religion?
3) How are sacrifice, forgiveness, and sin discussed?
Essay Topic 2
Hypocrisy is a major theme in Boule de Suif. Discuss who is hypocritical in the story and why.
Essay Topic 3
Food is critical in the story. Discuss how the characters both come together and are divided during meal times.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)