|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Boule de Suif appear on their final morning in Totes?
2. What kind of pies does Comtess de Breville take out in the coach for lunch on their departure from Totes?
3. On their walk the second day in Totes, what looks "so mournful and depressing" to the passengers that they retraced their steps?
4. During their trip from Totes, what does Cornudet remove from his loose overcoat in the coach?
5. On their final morning in Totes, what are the passengers doing while they wait for Boule de Suif?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare & contrast Cornudet and the Prussian officer.
1) What are the similarities in their treatment of Boule de Suif?
2) What are the differences in their treatment of Boule de Suif?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss authorial point of view in the story.
1) What are Maupassant's views on his characters?
2) Who does he sympathize with, and why?
3) How does the tone and choice of words reveal the authorial point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss sex in the story.
1) How is sex used as a weapon against Boule de Suif?
2) How is Boule de Suif a victim of her profession?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)