|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the lids on the oval dishes that Comtess de Breville take out in the coach on their departure from Totes decorated with?
2. In the afternoon their second day in Totes, who proposes the passengers go for a walk in the village neighborhood?
3. Why are the married women "utterly humiliated" at being met by the person on their walk the second day?
4. Who breaks the "painful silence" in the coach as they began on their departure from Totes?
5. During their trip from Totes, why does Boule de Suif want to open her lips "to shriek the truth at them, to overwhelm them with a volley of insults"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss authorial point of view in the story.
1) What are Maupassant's views on his characters?
2) Who does he sympathize with, and why?
3) How does the tone and choice of words reveal the authorial point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Language is a powerful tool in the story. Choose 2 scenes and discuss how language is used to manipulate, convince, lecture, flatter, and/or demean Boule de Suif.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the main antagonist in "Boule de Suif"? Is it the Prussian officer or the other passengers?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)