|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," the soldiers wore long, dirty________ and tattered _________.
2. In "Boule de Suif," where do the travelers meet to take their seats in the coach in the morning?
3. As "Boule de Suif" opens, how many days have the soldiers wandered through town?
4. The Prussian officer afforded a ______example of that ______bearing which seems natural to the ______soldier.
5. What is the reason the Prussian officer gives the male passengers about refusing to start on their journey to Dieppe?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the passengers congregate in the kitchen to discuss the Prussian's motives for detaining them the first day, what are their assumptions and how are they significant?
2. In contrast to the other passengers, what does Boule de Suif realize in the coach departing Totes about the comprising situation they put her in?
3. What is Maupassant's attitude toward the old nun as the countess tries to manipulate Boule de Suif in sleeping with the Prussian officer?
4. How do the other passengers respond to Boule de Suif's outburst after being questioned by the coach passengers about the Prussian officer's inquiry regarding her?
5. How does Madame Carre-Lamadon describe the Prussian officer and what does it signify?
6. What is the song Cornudet whistles and hums at the end of "Boule de Suif" and what does it mean?
7. Who shares lunch with the coach passengers on their journey to Rouen, and why is it significant?
8. Describe the setting in the opening scene of "Boule de Suif" and its significance.
9. Why does Loiseau take off his watch chain in the kitchen as the coach passengers discuss the Prussian officer's motives, and how is it significant?
10. What does Madame Loiseau remark to her husband in the coach the morning of their departure from Totes, and what does it signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare treatment of Boule de Suif before and after her compliance to sleep with the Prussian officer. What are the similarities and differences by the other passengers?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of religion in "Boule de Suif"?
1) How are the nuns portrayed in the story?
2) What is Boule de Suif's relationship to religion?
3) How are sacrifice, forgiveness, and sin discussed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Boule de Suif's betrayal in the story. Who betrays her and why?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)