|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," what kind of soldiers are NOT wandering through the town?
2. What is the weather like as the passengers wait for their seats in "Boule de Suif"?
3. What is Boule de Suif's real name?
4. What does Cornudet have that he offers to his neighbors in the coach on the way to Totes?
5. In "Boule de Suif," who alone is authorized to interview the Prussian officer on civil matters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boule de Suif bring for lunch and why is it significant?
2. When the passengers congregate in the kitchen to discuss the Prussian's motives for detaining them the first day, what are their assumptions and how are they significant?
3. What are Cornudet's political views and why are they significant?
4. What is significant about the men's conversation when they meet at the coach before daybreak?
5. How do the other passengers respond to Boule de Suif the morning of their departure from Totes, and how is it significant?
6. How do the passengers react to the coach finally being ready the day after Boule de Suif agrees to sleep with the Prussian officer, and what does it mean?
7. At the end of "Boule de Suif," what is Boule de Suif doing?
8. Who is Boule de Suif and what is the metaphor Maupassant uses to describe her appearance.
9. What are Boule de Suif's political views and what do they signify?
10. What do the conquerors demand of the inhabitants of Rouen and what are the consequences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss class in "Boule de Suif."
1) How does class function?
2) How does class impact the characters' in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Food is critical in the story. Discuss how the characters both come together and are divided during meal times.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the notion of heroism is portrayed in the story. What makes Boule de Suif a heroine?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)