|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they dined after the first indignant outburst the first day in Totes, the coach passengers spoke _______and thought _______.
2. After night falls, what does Madame de Breville offer Boule de Suif when the cold makes her shiver in the coach?
3. According to the servant, why does Monsieur Follenvie never rise before ten o'clock?
4. "Boule de Suif" is set during which war?
5. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," the soldiers wore long, dirty________ and tattered _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When night falls on the first leg of their journey from Rouen, what is implied by a sudden movement in the back where Boule de Suif and Cornudet are sitting?
2. How does Boule de Suif appear when she arrives at the coach the morning after she sleeps with the Prussian officer and how is it significant?
3. What are the other passengers' reaction to Cornudet's whistling and humming at the end of "Boule de Suif" and how does Cornudet react?
4. What are Boule de Suif's political views and what do they signify?
5. What does Cornudet notice about the Loiseaus during their card game before dinner the first day in Totes?
6. How are the ten passengers permitted to leave Rouen for Havre by way of Dieppe and why is it significant?
7. What is the reaction among the passengers when Monsieur Follenvie comes in to inquire about whether Elisabeth Rousset has changed her mind?
8. What are the citizens of Rouen anticipating in the beginning of "Boule de Suif" and how does the atmosphere in the city influence its inhabitants?
9. How does the countess and Madame Loiseau react to Boule de Suif's misery in the coach at the end of "Boule de Suif"?
10. What examples of women who have arrested the victorious progress of the conquerors do the passengers give Boule de Suif in order to persuade her to sleep with the Prussian officer and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose 2 characters and compare and contrast their political views. What are their viewpoints on France and the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss sex in the story.
1) How is sex used as a weapon against Boule de Suif?
2) How is Boule de Suif a victim of her profession?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of gender in "Boule de Suif"? Who embraces their gendered roles and why? Who defies their gendered roles and why?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)