|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refuses to meet with the Prussian officer after luncheon the first day in Totes, stating that he would never have anything to do with the Germans?
(a) Monsieur Follenvie.
(b) Monsieur Carre-Lamadon.
(d) Comte de Breville.
2. Why are the coach passengers frightened when they first arrive in Totes?
(a) They hear the clanging of a scabbard and a voice call out in German.
(b) They hear the ringing of a bell and a voice call out in German.
(c) They hear the clanging of a scabbard and a voice call out in French.
(d) They hear the ringing of a bell and a voice call out in French.
3. As they dined after the first indignant outburst the first day in Totes, the coach passengers spoke _______and thought _______.
(a) Much; little.
(b) Some; much.
(c) Little; much.
(d) Little; some.
4. In the beginning of the story, what do the conquerors exact from the inhabitants of Rouen?
5. In the morning of their first day in Totes, where do the male passengers find the coach driver?
(a) In the village cafe.
(b) In the church.
(c) In the hotel lobby.
(d) In the stable.
6. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," what kind of soldiers are NOT wandering through the town?
7. According to the narrator, who feels affection for the "pomp and circumstance of despotic government"?
(a) Most men.
(b) Some men.
(c) All women.
(d) Few women.
8. What country are the passengers in "Boule de Suif" traveling through on a coach?
9. Who does Madame Follenvie address herself to while the passengers dine during their first supper in Totes?
(a) The Countess.
(c) The Old Nun.
(d) Boule de Suif.
10. What is the reason the Prussian officer gives the male passengers about refusing to start on their journey to Dieppe?
(a) The weather is too treacherous.
(b) The provisions have run out.
(c) He doesn't offer one.
(d) He can't find the coach driver.
11. How many passengers are traveling on a coach in "Boule de Suif"?
12. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," the soldiers wore long, dirty________ and tattered _________.
(a) Robes; flags.
(b) Beards; uniforms.
(c) Robes; beards.
(d) Uniforms; flags.
13. Why do the male passengers want to meet with the Prussian officer after luncheon the first day in Totes?
(a) To inquire about money.
(b) To ask to stay in Totes.
(c) To steal his weapons.
(d) To ask to start on their journey.
14. What do the ladies on the coach bring to warm their feet in "Boule de Suif"?
(a) Small lanterns.
(b) Silk leggings.
(c) Copper foot-warmers.
(d) Fur-lined boots.
15. What settles on the city of Rouen in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
(a) A dense fog and quiet anticipation.
(b) A flurry of activity and sudden expectation.
(c) A howling wind and united front.
(d) A profound calm and silent dread.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Boule de Suif," where do the travelers meet to take their seats in the coach in the morning?
2. According to the coach driver, who gave him command the morning of the first day in Totes?
3. Who tells Monsieur Follenvie to "Kindly tell the scoundrel, that carrion of a Prussian, that I will never consent"?
4. When the clock strikes ten first day in Totes, who tells Monsieur Follenvie that "They are not to start without an order from me"?
5. Who does Loiseau fancy he sees receive a noiseless blow in the dark in the coach?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)