|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What settles on the city of Rouen in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
(a) A dense fog and quiet anticipation.
(b) A howling wind and united front.
(c) A flurry of activity and sudden expectation.
(d) A profound calm and silent dread.
2. What country are the passengers in "Boule de Suif" traveling through on a coach?
3. What is the coach driver doing when the male passengers find him the morning of the first day in Totes?
(a) Harnessing the horses.
(b) Confessing to the priest.
(c) Fraternizing with the officer's orderly.
(d) Arguing with the innkeeper's wife.
4. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," the soldiers wore long, dirty________ and tattered _________.
(a) Robes; beards.
(b) Beards; uniforms.
(c) Robes; flags.
(d) Uniforms; flags.
5. After night falls, what does Madame de Breville offer Boule de Suif when the cold makes her shiver in the coach?
(a) Her foot-warmer.
(b) Her blanket.
(c) Her fur collar.
(d) Her boots.
6. What is the weather like as the passengers wait for their seats in "Boule de Suif"?
(a) It is cloudy.
(b) It is snowing.
(c) It is sunny.
(d) It is raining.
7. What is the Prussian officer wearing when the male passengers meet them after luncheon the first day in Totes?
(a) A tailored suit.
(b) A tattered uniform.
(c) A gorgeous dressing-gown.
(d) An opulent costume.
8. In "Boule de Suif," why could no one mention Loiseau's name without adding that he was an "extraordinary man"?
(a) Because of his excellent wine.
(b) Because of his practical jokes.
(c) Because of his fortune.
(d) Because of his gorgeous wife.
9. When the clock strikes ten first day in Totes, who tells Monsieur Follenvie that "They are not to start without an order from me"?
(a) The coach driver.
(b) Madame Follenvie.
(c) The Prussian officer.
(d) Boule de Suif.
10. What does the rumor about the Prussians concern in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
(a) That they were about to leave Rouen.
(b) That they were about to enter Paris.
(c) That they were about to leave Paris.
(d) That they were about to enter Rouen.
11. What passengers are the last to alight from the coach when they arrive in Totes?
(a) The two nuns.
(b) Monsieur and Madame Carre-Lamadon.
(c) Comtesse and Comte de Breville.
(d) Boule de Suif and Cornudet.
12. Who breaks their jug on the table in indignation at the Prussian officer's request regarding Boule de Suif?
(a) Comte de Breville.
(b) Monsieur Follenvie.
(c) Monsieur Carre-Lamadon.
13. Who tells Monsieur Follenvie to "Kindly tell the scoundrel, that carrion of a Prussian, that I will never consent"?
(a) The Old Nun.
(b) Madame Carre-Lamadon.
(c) Boule de Suif.
(d) Madame Loiseau.
14. In "Boule de Suif," who has the best seats in the coach?
(a) Monsieur and Madame Carre-Lamadon.
(b) Two Nuns.
(c) Monsieur and Madame Loiseau.
(d) Comte and Comtesse Hubert de Breville.
15. Why do the men invite Monsieur Follenvie to join their card game after dinner the first day in Totes?
(a) To cheat him out of his money in cards.
(b) To berate him about the lack of provisions.
(c) To request from him another free night at the inn.
(d) To question him on how to change the officer's mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boule de Suif stammer when she returns from her meeting with Prussian officer when they first arrive in Totes?
2. What does Monsieur Follenvie tell his wife to do when she comes to fetch him to go to bed during the card game?
3. What port city do the merchants in Rouen have business in and have to reach, despite being occupied by the Germans?
4. How do the leaders of "Avengers of Defeat," "Citizens of the Tomb," and "Brethren in Death" behave?
5. As they dined after the first indignant outburst the first day in Totes, the coach passengers spoke _______and thought _______.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)