|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel the coach stops in front of when they arrive in Totes?
(a) Hotel du Commerce.
(b) Hotel du Lyon.
(c) Hotel du Totes.
(d) Hotel du Napoleon.
2. In the morning of the first day in Totes, what two people does Cornudet listen to forecast the future of France, one advocating the Orleans dynasty, the other an unknown savior?
(a) Boule de Suif and Monsieur Carre-Lamadon.
(b) Loiseau and Comte de Breville.
(c) Comte de Breville and Monsieur Carre-Lamadon.
(d) Comtess de Breville and Loiseau.
3. In "Boule de Suif," why could no one mention Loiseau's name without adding that he was an "extraordinary man"?
(a) Because of his excellent wine.
(b) Because of his practical jokes.
(c) Because of his fortune.
(d) Because of his gorgeous wife.
4. Why do the coach passengers resemble "obese priests in their cassocks" when they meet for their seats?
(a) Because they are devout Christians.
(b) Because they are swathed in heavy winter wraps.
(c) Because they are disguised as priests.
(d) Because they are very fat.
5. As Cornudet settles beside the kitchen fireplace, what does he do as he "sucked the foam from his mustache" the first day in Totes?
(a) Passed his long fingers through his long greasy hair.
(b) Crossed his long legs near the fire.
(c) Shook with laughter and held his belly with his greasy fingers.
(d) Turned the pages of a book with his long fingers.
6. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," who do the members of the National Guard occasionally shoot?
(a) Members of their own sentinels.
(b) Members of the Russian army.
(c) Members of their own family.
(d) Members of the German army.
7. What is the name of the card game the men propose to play after dinner the first day in Totes?
8. At dinner the first day in Totes, who manifested a lively and tender sympathy for Boule de Suif?
(a) The nuns.
(b) The innkeepers.
(c) The men.
(d) The women.
9. What settles on the city of Rouen in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
(a) A profound calm and silent dread.
(b) A dense fog and quiet anticipation.
(c) A howling wind and united front.
(d) A flurry of activity and sudden expectation.
10. Why does the group of passengers urge Boule de Suif to speak to the Prussian officer when they first arrive in Totes?
(a) Because they wish to get rid of her for good.
(b) Because they are in business with the Prussian officer.
(c) Because her refusal could bring trouble on all of them.
(d) Because her compliance would bring them wealth.
11. What port city do the merchants in Rouen have business in and have to reach, despite being occupied by the Germans?
12. What country are the passengers in "Boule de Suif" traveling through on a coach?
13. Who declares at dinner the first day in Totes that the Prussians behaved liked "ancient barbarians"?
(a) Boule de Suif.
(b) Comte de Breville.
(d) Madame Carre-Lamadon.
14. In "Boule de Suif," who has the best seats in the coach?
(a) Monsieur and Madame Loiseau.
(b) Comte and Comtesse Hubert de Breville.
(c) Two Nuns.
(d) Monsieur and Madame Carre-Lamadon.
15. When they arrive at Totes, the mood at supper after Boule de Suif returns from her meeting with the Prussian officer is characterized as what?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many passengers are traveling on a coach in "Boule de Suif"?
2. The Prussian officer who often dined at the same table with the family, expressed sympathy with __________.
3. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," what kind of soldiers are NOT wandering through the town?
4. At the beginning of the story, the vanquished in the city of Rouen realize they had to be civil to whom?
5. What is the Prussian officer wearing when the male passengers meet them after luncheon the first day in Totes?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)