|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif" who are "scoundrels often brave beyond measure"?
(a) Pillagers and debauchees.
(b) Debauchees and aristocracy.
(c) Pillagers and nobility.
(d) Merchants and nobility.
2. What settles on the city of Rouen in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
(a) A flurry of activity and sudden expectation.
(b) A howling wind and united front.
(c) A profound calm and silent dread.
(d) A dense fog and quiet anticipation.
3. What do the coach passengers do to pass the two hours before dinner the first day in Totes?
(a) Read the paper.
(b) Walk to town.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Recite scripture.
4. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," what happens to the National Guards' arms, uniforms, and death dealing paraphernalia?
(a) It suddenly disappeared.
(b) It was quickly burned.
(c) It appeared intermittently.
(d) It was slowly buried.
5. Why does the four-horse coach decide to leave on Tuesday morning before daybreak?
(a) To avoid attracting a crowd.
(b) To avoid traffic on the road.
(c) To take advantage of the daylight.
(d) To get a head start on their journey.
6. What does Cornudet notice about Loiseau and his wife as they pass the two hours before dinner the first day in Totes?
(a) That they are atheists.
(b) That they have not returned.
(c) That they are in league to cheat.
(d) That they understand German.
7. What does Boule de Suif stammer when she returns from her meeting with Prussian officer when they first arrive in Totes?
(a) "Oh, the scoundrel! The scoundrel!"
(b) "Oh, the hero, the hero!"
(c) "Oh, the rascal, the rascal!"
(d) "Oh, the coward, the coward!"
8. According to the coach driver, who gave him command the morning of the first day in Totes?
(a) Monsieur Follenvie.
(c) Madame Follenvie.
9. What does Monsieur Follenvie tell his wife to do when she comes to fetch him to go to bed during the card game?
(a) Fetch my slippers before retiring.
(b) Put my egg-nogg by the fire.
(c) Wait up with my sherry.
(d) Have a glass of milk in the drawing room.
10. Why do the male passengers want to meet with the Prussian officer after luncheon the first day in Totes?
(a) To ask to stay in Totes.
(b) To steal his weapons.
(c) To ask to start on their journey.
(d) To inquire about money.
11. In "Boule de Suif," who has the best seats in the coach?
(a) Comte and Comtesse Hubert de Breville.
(b) Two Nuns.
(c) Monsieur and Madame Loiseau.
(d) Monsieur and Madame Carre-Lamadon.
12. According to the coach driver, what does he tell the male passengers who have been looking for him the morning of the first day in Totes that he is forbidden to do?
(a) Attend confession.
(b) Discuss politics.
(c) Fraternize with them.
(d) Harness the horses.
13. What is the word that no one is shocked to hear about the Prussian officer's request?
14. After night falls, what does Madame de Breville offer Boule de Suif when the cold makes her shiver in the coach?
(a) Her boots.
(b) Her blanket.
(c) Her fur collar.
(d) Her foot-warmer.
15. What do boat-men and fishermen often haul to the surface in "Boule de Suif"?
(a) Disgarded weapons.
(c) The body of a German.
(d) Buried treasures.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Cornudet settles beside the kitchen fireplace, what does he do as he "sucked the foam from his mustache" the first day in Totes?
2. How do the nuns in "Boule de Suif" spend their time in the coach?
3. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," the anguish of _______made men even desire the arrival of the________ .
4. In "Boule de Suif," who is the "terror of all respectable people"?
5. The Prussian officer afforded a ______example of that ______bearing which seems natural to the ______soldier.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)