|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," the soldiers wore long, dirty________ and tattered _________.
(a) Robes; beards.
(b) Beards; uniforms.
(c) Uniforms; flags.
(d) Robes; flags.
2. What instrument does Monsieur Follenvie's chest sound like during the card game the first day in Totes?
(a) A horn.
(b) A drum.
(c) A guitar.
(d) An organ.
3. What is the word that no one is shocked to hear about the Prussian officer's request?
4. Why does Cornudet follow Boule de Suif to her room their first night in Totes?
(a) To request she spy on their passengers.
(b) To invite her for a late night supper.
(c) To make sexual advances toward her.
(d) To ask her to speak to the Prussian officer.
5. How does Boule de Suif respond to the matrons loud whispers of "hussy" and "public scandal" about her?
(a) She bows her head.
(b) She casts a hurt look at them.
(c) She smiles at them.
(d) She casts a challenging look at them.
6. What object does Cornudet use that is described as "admirably colored to a black the shade of its owner's teeth"?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A jug.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A wallet.
7. Who tells Monsieur Follenvie to "Kindly tell the scoundrel, that carrion of a Prussian, that I will never consent"?
(a) Madame Carre-Lamadon.
(b) The Old Nun.
(c) Boule de Suif.
(d) Madame Loiseau.
8. What is the name of the hotel the coach stops in front of when they arrive in Totes?
(a) Hotel du Lyon.
(b) Hotel du Napoleon.
(c) Hotel du Commerce.
(d) Hotel du Totes.
9. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," who do the members of the National Guard occasionally shoot?
(a) Members of the German army.
(b) Members of their own family.
(c) Members of the Russian army.
(d) Members of their own sentinels.
10. According to the narrator, who feels affection for the "pomp and circumstance of despotic government"?
(a) All women.
(b) Few women.
(c) Most men.
(d) Some men.
11. What kind of soldiers wander through the town in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
12. What is the name of the card game the men propose to play after dinner the first day in Totes?
13. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," what happens to the National Guards' arms, uniforms, and death dealing paraphernalia?
(a) It was quickly burned.
(b) It appeared intermittently.
(c) It was slowly buried.
(d) It suddenly disappeared.
14. Why do the men invite Monsieur Follenvie to join their card game after dinner the first day in Totes?
(a) To request from him another free night at the inn.
(b) To cheat him out of his money in cards.
(c) To question him on how to change the officer's mind.
(d) To berate him about the lack of provisions.
15. According to the servant, why does Monsieur Follenvie never rise before ten o'clock?
(a) Because of his depression.
(b) Because of his insomnia.
(c) Because of his migraines.
(d) Because of his asthma.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madame Follenvie address herself to while the passengers dine during their first supper in Totes?
2. When the male passengers meet with the Prussian officer after luncheon the first day in Totes, what does he do?
3. As Cornudet settles beside the kitchen fireplace, what does he do as he "sucked the foam from his mustache" the first day in Totes?
4. What does Monsieur Follenvie tell his wife to do when she comes to fetch him to go to bed during the card game?
5. In "Boule de Suif," Loiseau sold very _____wine at a very ____price.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)