|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the male passengers want to meet with the Prussian officer after luncheon the first day in Totes?
(a) To ask to stay in Totes.
(b) To inquire about money.
(c) To steal his weapons.
(d) To ask to start on their journey.
2. How many passengers are traveling on a coach in "Boule de Suif"?
3. In "Boule de Suif," why could no one mention Loiseau's name without adding that he was an "extraordinary man"?
(a) Because of his fortune.
(b) Because of his practical jokes.
(c) Because of his excellent wine.
(d) Because of his gorgeous wife.
4. Why is Boule de Suif much sought after in the story?
(a) Because of her knowledge of many subjects.
(b) Because of her fresh, pleasing appearance.
(c) Because of her connections to high society.
(d) Because of her kind, warm heart.
5. In "Boule de Suif," Loiseau sold very _____wine at a very ____price.
(a) Bad; high.
(b) Good; low.
(c) Good; high.
(d) Bad; low.
6. In "Boule de Suif," how do the men speak of money matters in the coach?
(a) In a tone expressive of envy for the rich.
(b) In a tone expressive of sorrow for the poor.
(c) In a tone expressive of contempt for the poor.
(d) In a tone expressive of contempt for the rich.
7. At dinner the first day in Totes, who manifested a lively and tender sympathy for Boule de Suif?
(a) The nuns.
(b) The innkeepers.
(c) The women.
(d) The men.
8. In "Boule de Suif," who is a king in the cotton trade with a much younger wife?
(a) Comte Hubert de Breville.
(b) Monsieur de Suif.
(d) Monsieur Carre-Lamadon.
9. What settles on the city of Rouen in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
(a) A flurry of activity and sudden expectation.
(b) A profound calm and silent dread.
(c) A dense fog and quiet anticipation.
(d) A howling wind and united front.
10. In the coach, who does Cornudet revile that makes Boule de Suif become indignant?
(b) Charles X.
(c) Marie Antoinette.
11. As "Boule de Suif" opens, how many days have the soldiers wandered through town?
12. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," what are the "Avengers of Defeat," "Citizens of the Tomb," and "Brethren in Death."
(a) Enlisted men.
(b) British dragoon.
(c) Reformist campaigners.
(d) Legions of irregulars.
13. At three o'clock, what does Boule de Suif remove from an enormous dish in the story?
(a) One duck.
(b) A half of turkey.
(c) Two hams.
(d) Two chickens.
14. What country are the passengers in "Boule de Suif" traveling through on a coach?
15. According to the narrator, who feels affection for the "pomp and circumstance of despotic government"?
(a) Few women.
(b) Some men.
(c) Most men.
(d) All women.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, the vanquished in the city of Rouen realize they had to be civil to whom?
2. Who sends the Prussian officer a card on which Monsieur Carre-Lamadon inscribes his name and titles?
3. What is the reason the Prussian officer gives the male passengers about refusing to start on their journey to Dieppe?
4. According to the coach driver, what does he tell the male passengers who have been looking for him the morning of the first day in Totes that he is forbidden to do?
5. When the male passengers meet with the Prussian officer after luncheon the first day in Totes, what does he do?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)