|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel the coach stops in front of when they arrive in Totes?
(a) Hotel du Lyon.
(b) Hotel du Napoleon.
(c) Hotel du Totes.
(d) Hotel du Commerce.
2. The Prussian officer who often dined at the same table with the family, expressed sympathy with __________.
(a) United States.
3. Who declares at dinner the first day in Totes that the Prussians behaved liked "ancient barbarians"?
(a) Boule de Suif.
(b) Madame Carre-Lamadon.
(d) Comte de Breville.
4. Who faints from hunger after the odor of food permeates the coach in the story?
(a) The old nun.
(b) Madame Carre-Lamadon.
(c) Boule de Suif.
(d) Comtesse de Breville
5. When the male passengers meet with the Prussian officer after luncheon the first day in Totes, what does he do?
(a) He neither rose, greeted them, nor even glanced in their direction.
(b) He rose, greeted them, and glanced in their direction.
(c) He neither rose nor greeted them, but glanced in their direction.
(d) He rose, but neither greeted them, or even glanced in their direction.
6. Who sends the Prussian officer a card on which Monsieur Carre-Lamadon inscribes his name and titles?
(b) Comte de Breville.
(c) Madame Follenvie.
(d) Boule de Suif.
7. According to the coach driver, what does he tell the male passengers who have been looking for him the morning of the first day in Totes that he is forbidden to do?
(a) Fraternize with them.
(b) Attend confession.
(c) Discuss politics.
(d) Harness the horses.
8. What is Boule de Suif's real name?
(a) Marianne Passant.
(b) Elisabeth Passant.
(c) Elisabeth Rousset.
(d) Marianne Rousset.
9. Why is Boule de Suif much sought after in the story?
(a) Because of her fresh, pleasing appearance.
(b) Because of her connections to high society.
(c) Because of her kind, warm heart.
(d) Because of her knowledge of many subjects.
10. What speed is the coach moving along its journey to Totes in "Boule de Suif"?
(d) Not moving.
11. What does Boule de Suif stammer when she returns from her meeting with Prussian officer when they first arrive in Totes?
(a) "Oh, the hero, the hero!"
(b) "Oh, the scoundrel! The scoundrel!"
(c) "Oh, the coward, the coward!"
(d) "Oh, the rascal, the rascal!"
12. How does Boule de Suif respond to the matrons loud whispers of "hussy" and "public scandal" about her?
(a) She bows her head.
(b) She casts a hurt look at them.
(c) She casts a challenging look at them.
(d) She smiles at them.
13. What does the rumor about the Prussians concern in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
(a) That they were about to leave Rouen.
(b) That they were about to enter Rouen.
(c) That they were about to enter Paris.
(d) That they were about to leave Paris.
14. What is the reason the Prussian officer gives the male passengers about refusing to start on their journey to Dieppe?
(a) The provisions have run out.
(b) He doesn't offer one.
(c) He can't find the coach driver.
(d) The weather is too treacherous.
15. Why are the coach passengers frightened when they first arrive in Totes?
(a) They hear the clanging of a scabbard and a voice call out in German.
(b) They hear the ringing of a bell and a voice call out in German.
(c) They hear the ringing of a bell and a voice call out in French.
(d) They hear the clanging of a scabbard and a voice call out in French.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," what are the "Avengers of Defeat," "Citizens of the Tomb," and "Brethren in Death."
2. As they dined after the first indignant outburst the first day in Totes, the coach passengers spoke _______and thought _______.
3. In "Boule de Suif," who alone is authorized to interview the Prussian officer on civil matters?
4. When the coach lights the lantern, what hovers over the sweating flanks of the horses and roadside?
5. In "Boule de Suif," who is the "terror of all respectable people"?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)