|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," the anguish of _______made men even desire the arrival of the________ .
(a) Suspense; allies.
(b) Suspense; enemy.
(c) Knowledge; allies.
(d) Knowledge; enemy.
2. In the morning of their first day in Totes, what do the male passengers see the Prussian soldiers doing in the town square while looking for the coach driver?
(a) Stockpiling weapons and provisions.
(b) Burying the dead and attending to the wounded.
(c) Practicing drills for the next battle.
(d) Helping the women with household chores.
3. What kind of soldiers wander through the town in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
4. During their first supper in Totes, who states "War is a barbarous proceeding when we attack a peaceful neighbor, but it is a sacred duty when undertaken in defense of one' country."
(a) The Puny Nun.
(b) Boule de Suif.
(d) Monsieur Follenvie.
5. What port city do the merchants in Rouen have business in and have to reach, despite being occupied by the Germans?
6. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," what are the "Avengers of Defeat," "Citizens of the Tomb," and "Brethren in Death."
(a) British dragoon.
(b) Legions of irregulars.
(c) Enlisted men.
(d) Reformist campaigners.
7. The Prussian officer afforded a ______example of that ______bearing which seems natural to the ______soldier.
(a) Fine; insolent; victorious.
(b) Poor; hospitable; defeated.
(c) Fine; hospitable; victorious.
(d) Poor; insolent; defeated.
8. What do the men search for in the farmhouses beside the road that they cannot find in "Boule de Suif"?
9. After night falls, what does Madame de Breville offer Boule de Suif when the cold makes her shiver in the coach?
(a) Her fur collar.
(b) Her blanket.
(c) Her foot-warmer.
(d) Her boots.
10. Why do the coach passengers resemble "obese priests in their cassocks" when they meet for their seats?
(a) Because they are very fat.
(b) Because they are disguised as priests.
(c) Because they are devout Christians.
(d) Because they are swathed in heavy winter wraps.
11. In "Boule de Suif," who is the "terror of all respectable people"?
(a) Monsieur Carre-Lamadon.
(b) Comte de Breville.
(d) Boule de Suif.
12. What does Monsieur Follenvie tell his wife to do when she comes to fetch him to go to bed during the card game?
(a) Have a glass of milk in the drawing room.
(b) Put my egg-nogg by the fire.
(c) Fetch my slippers before retiring.
(d) Wait up with my sherry.
13. What do the coach passengers do to pass the two hours before dinner the first day in Totes?
(a) Read the paper.
(b) Recite scripture.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Walk to town.
14. According to the coach driver, who gave him command the morning of the first day in Totes?
(b) Monsieur Follenvie.
(c) Madame Follenvie.
15. In the coach, who does Cornudet revile that makes Boule de Suif become indignant?
(a) Marie Antoinette.
(d) Charles X.
Short Answer Questions
1. Retiring after supper on their first night in Totes, Loiseau puts his eye to the bedroom keyhole in order to discover the ________of the corridor.
2. What does Boule de Suif stammer when she returns from her meeting with Prussian officer when they first arrive in Totes?
3. What is the reason the Prussian officer gives the male passengers about refusing to start on their journey to Dieppe?
4. At the beginning of the story, the vanquished in the city of Rouen realize they had to be civil to whom?
5. In the beginning of "Boule de Suif," what kind of soldiers are NOT wandering through the town?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)