|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the four-horse coach decide to leave on Tuesday morning before daybreak?
(a) To get a head start on their journey.
(b) To avoid attracting a crowd.
(c) To avoid traffic on the road.
(d) To take advantage of the daylight.
2. Who does Madame Follenvie address herself to while the passengers dine during their first supper in Totes?
(a) The Old Nun.
(c) Boule de Suif.
(d) The Countess.
3. What object does Cornudet use that is described as "admirably colored to a black the shade of its owner's teeth"?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A wallet.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A jug.
4. In "Boule de Suif," who alone is authorized to interview the Prussian officer on civil matters?
(a) Monsieur Follenvie.
(b) The cook.
(c) Madame Follenvie.
(d) The servant.
5. The Prussian officer who often dined at the same table with the family, expressed sympathy with __________.
(a) United States.
6. As Cornudet settles beside the kitchen fireplace, what does he do as he "sucked the foam from his mustache" the first day in Totes?
(a) Turned the pages of a book with his long fingers.
(b) Passed his long fingers through his long greasy hair.
(c) Shook with laughter and held his belly with his greasy fingers.
(d) Crossed his long legs near the fire.
7. In "Boule de Suif," why could no one mention Loiseau's name without adding that he was an "extraordinary man"?
(a) Because of his fortune.
(b) Because of his excellent wine.
(c) Because of his practical jokes.
(d) Because of his gorgeous wife.
8. What is the word that no one is shocked to hear about the Prussian officer's request?
9. In "Boule de Suif," who has the best seats in the coach?
(a) Monsieur and Madame Carre-Lamadon.
(b) Monsieur and Madame Loiseau.
(c) Two Nuns.
(d) Comte and Comtesse Hubert de Breville.
10. At three o'clock, what does Boule de Suif remove from an enormous dish in the story?
(a) A half of turkey.
(b) Two hams.
(c) Two chickens.
(d) One duck.
11. What does Cornudet have that he offers to his neighbors in the coach on the way to Totes?
(a) A bottle of rum.
(b) A carafe of coffee.
(c) A crust of bread.
(d) A knuckle of ham.
12. According to the coach driver, what does he tell the male passengers who have been looking for him the morning of the first day in Totes that he is forbidden to do?
(a) Harness the horses.
(b) Discuss politics.
(c) Attend confession.
(d) Fraternize with them.
13. What instrument does Monsieur Follenvie's chest sound like during the card game the first day in Totes?
(a) A horn.
(b) An organ.
(c) A drum.
(d) A guitar.
14. What does Boule de Suif stammer when she returns from her meeting with Prussian officer when they first arrive in Totes?
(a) "Oh, the scoundrel! The scoundrel!"
(b) "Oh, the hero, the hero!"
(c) "Oh, the rascal, the rascal!"
(d) "Oh, the coward, the coward!"
15. The soldiers advanced in what kind of fashion in the beginning of "Boule de Suif"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Boule de Suif respond to the matrons loud whispers of "hussy" and "public scandal" about her?
2. "Boule de Suif" is set during which war?
3. What is the coach floor covered with as the passengers take their seats?
4. Who does Loiseau fancy he sees receive a noiseless blow in the dark in the coach?
5. How many passengers are traveling on a coach in "Boule de Suif"?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)