Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Section 1
1. Describe the setting in the opening scene of "Boule de Suif" and its significance.
2. What are the citizens of Rouen anticipating in the beginning of "Boule de Suif" and how does the atmosphere in the city influence its inhabitants?
3. What happens once the Prussians arrive in Rouen and why is it significant?
4. What do the conquerors demand of the inhabitants of Rouen and what are the consequences?
5. What is Maupassant's attitude toward those German soldiers who die by the hand of French citizens?
This section contains 1,320 words|
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)