|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Richard Daley's popularity in Chicago after the turmoil of the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
2. What discrepancy was committed by public officials in 1970 that caused problems for the Daley Administration?
3. What police action against a public gathering became a precursor to the Democratic National Convention?
4. Who did Richard Daley convince to hold the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
5. Who did Richard Daley appoint to take care of the 1960 police department scandal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard Daley had many good characteristics, but he also used those characteristics in a way that they were corrupted. Write an expository essay on how Richard Daley used some very important character qualities to achieve a goal but allowed those qualities to be used for a system that was corrupted. Conclude your essay with whether or not you believe that corruption such as was ingrained in the Cook County Democratic Party can be cleaned up and how the positive character qualities of Richard Daley could have been used in that cause.
Essay Topic 2
Based upon what you know of how criminals had infiltrated Chicago City Hall in the 1920's and 1930's, why do you think that it was important for Richard Daley to develop a relationship with Abraham Marovitz, a prosecutor who had associations with gangsters. How could that relationship make Daley valuable to the Cook County Democrat Party?
Essay Topic 3
How many timely deaths opened up a political office for Richard Daley to occupy? In the corrupt environment of the Chicago Democratic Party, were those deaths in Daley's background good or bad for his reputation as he became Chairman of the Cook County Central Committee? Support your position with information from the book. What other facts from his background made him a useful leader for the Cook County Central Committee? Why did you choose the facts that you did? What influence did Daley's personal history and reputation have on the Machine?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)