|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
2. What did Martin Luther King do when Mayor Daley's actions did not satisfactorily address the problems of segregation?
3. What motivated racial violence to intensify?
4. When did racial conflicts begin to become public in Chicago?
5. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A burglary scandal in the police department brought Richard Daley to his lowest point emotionally and politically in early 1960, but his appointment of Orlando Wilson to Chief of Police and his electoral victories in the 1960 election (under very suspicious circumstances) brought many to consider Daley the second most powerful man in the country. How might Daley's administration and the influence of the Machine been affected if the 1960 election had not been so convincing?
Essay Topic 2
Richard Daley's control over the Machine has been credited with providing the votes that helped John F. Kennedy defeat Richard Nixon in the 1960 presidential election. If this is so it not only dramatically changed history, but it also showed that the American electoral system was corrupted by political influences. Take one of three subjects for a three paragraph essay:
1. How would the country have been different if Richard Daley's Machine was not involved in the 1960 election and Richard Nixon had become president?
2. What are the consequences to the country if a metropolitan mayor can determine who becomes president? Are there any benefits? What are they? What are the damages to democracy that is posed by such a situation?
3. What are the threats to justice and liberty if elections can be manipulated by powerful individuals? How can such power be confronted?
Essay Topic 3
How does Daley's personal history affect your view of politics and government? Does Daley's climb to power interest you to be involved in politics? Write a persuasive essay on what sort of characteristics are important for an elected official and why it is important to know the types of personal relationships that official keeps.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)