Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the inauguration of John F. Kennedy, how many people were considered to be more powerful than Richard Daley?
2. What became the most consuming controversy during Richard Daley's first two terms as mayor?
3. How was Richard Daley's initial urban renewal effort accepted by those who who used the areas?
4. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
5. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
How many timely deaths opened up a political office for Richard Daley to occupy? In the corrupt environment of the Chicago Democratic Party, were those deaths in Daley's background good or bad for his reputation as he became Chairman of the Cook County Central Committee? Support your position with information from the book. What other facts from his background made him a useful leader for the Cook County Central Committee? Why did you choose the facts that you did? What influence did Daley's personal history and reputation have on the Machine?
Based upon what your read in "Boss: Richard J. Daley of Chicago," do you consider the goals of the Chicago desegregation movement to be for political power or for social access? Write an expository essay detailing your position. Use at least three examples from the book that support your view.
How does Daley's personal history affect your view of politics and government? Does Daley's climb to power interest you to be involved in politics? Write a persuasive essay on what sort of characteristics are important for an elected official and why it is important to know the types of personal relationships that official keeps.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)