|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley run as Democrat candidate for Cook County Sheriff in 1971?
2. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
3. How did the attention news agencies gave to the April event set up what eventually occurred at the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
4. What resulted from the high ranking personnel change that came to Daley at the beginning of his fourth term?
5. How did Richard Daley's selection for the 1970 Cook County Sheriff's race show in the election?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a persuasive essay addressing the following questions: Is it practical to hold a political system to a set of standards when it is contending for power and wealth? How can your participation in the political system hold it to account for upholding particular ethical standards? At what point would you be willing to abandon one party for involvement in another party when you become disappointed with the ethical qualities of political candidates your party offers?
Essay Topic 2
Richard Daley's control over the Machine has been credited with providing the votes that helped John F. Kennedy defeat Richard Nixon in the 1960 presidential election. If this is so it not only dramatically changed history, but it also showed that the American electoral system was corrupted by political influences. Take one of three subjects for a three paragraph essay:
1. How would the country have been different if Richard Daley's Machine was not involved in the 1960 election and Richard Nixon had become president?
2. What are the consequences to the country if a metropolitan mayor can determine who becomes president? Are there any benefits? What are they? What are the damages to democracy that is posed by such a situation?
3. What are the threats to justice and liberty if elections can be manipulated by powerful individuals? How can such power be confronted?
Essay Topic 3
Draw a flow chart of the positions in the Cook County Democratic Party as it is detailed in Chapter IV. Ward Committee members who were most successful in turning out the vote earned the authority to fill the most patronage jobs. Based upon what you learned that Cook County Democrats, ". . . add up votes until they come out right . . ." how did this method of appointing patronage jobs not only corrupt elections, but also corrupt Chicago public service jobs? How did this corruption and the wealth it brought to supporters of the Democratic Party help the Machine dominate elections for decades?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)