|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did most Chicagoans consider the corruption within the department?
2. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
3. After Richard Daley put his scandal behind him, what two political victories did he achieve?
4. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
5. What made this candidate for Cook County Sheriff an attractive choice for the election?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is propaganda and how did Richard Daley and the Machine use propaganda to shape public opinion of his job performance and win elections? Cite at least four examples from the book in developing your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How many timely deaths opened up a political office for Richard Daley to occupy? In the corrupt environment of the Chicago Democratic Party, were those deaths in Daley's background good or bad for his reputation as he became Chairman of the Cook County Central Committee? Support your position with information from the book. What other facts from his background made him a useful leader for the Cook County Central Committee? Why did you choose the facts that you did? What influence did Daley's personal history and reputation have on the Machine?
Essay Topic 3
After a study found that the Chicago Police were more abusive to African-Americans than they were to whites, the commission suggested blacks and whites be treated more equitably. Richard Daley responded by ordering that whites apprehended by police receive more severe treatment. How was this decision by Daley, along with other events, a precursor to the violence that overshadowed the 1968 Democrat National Convention? Identify at least two other events that suggested Chicago was a dangerous site for the convention.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)