|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After controversy around the 1968 Democrat National Convention subsided, what was the condition of Richard Daley?
2. Who was Richard Daley's opponent during his fourth run for Mayor?
3. How did most Chicagoans consider the corruption within the department?
4. What made this candidate for Cook County Sheriff an attractive choice for the election?
5. What was Richard Daley's initial response to the 1960 police department scandal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
Essay Topic 2
Based upon how Chapter II reported on the infiltration of Chicago City Hall by gangs and criminals and the affect they had on law enforcement and the judicial system, write a persuasive essay on why or why not personal adherence to ethical standards is important to people in leadership positions.
Essay Topic 3
Richard Daley used his power over the political system of Chicago to coerce people . Consider that you were living in an ethnic neighborhood in Chicago and a precinct captain suggested that if you did not vote for Democrats in the coming election you might lose access to your publicly supported housing. You would like to see something done to protect you and your family from this type of threat so you have decided to write a letter to the editor so the entire city knows the problem you and your friends are facing. List some of the consequences you might face from writing such a letter, then write the letter. Are the consequences you might face for having the letter published a reasonable cost for exposing the truth?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)