|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of an effort to prove that Richard Daley's neighbors were intolerant of segregating neighborhoods based on color?
2. How did Richard Daley's selection for the 1970 Cook County Sheriff's race show in the election?
3. What was Richard Daley's initial response to the 1960 police department scandal?
4. What made this candidate for Cook County Sheriff an attractive choice for the election?
5. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon what you know of how criminals had infiltrated Chicago City Hall in the 1920's and 1930's, why do you think that it was important for Richard Daley to develop a relationship with Abraham Marovitz, a prosecutor who had associations with gangsters. How could that relationship make Daley valuable to the Cook County Democrat Party?
Essay Topic 2
How many timely deaths opened up a political office for Richard Daley to occupy? In the corrupt environment of the Chicago Democratic Party, were those deaths in Daley's background good or bad for his reputation as he became Chairman of the Cook County Central Committee? Support your position with information from the book. What other facts from his background made him a useful leader for the Cook County Central Committee? Why did you choose the facts that you did? What influence did Daley's personal history and reputation have on the Machine?
Essay Topic 3
What is propaganda and how did Richard Daley and the Machine use propaganda to shape public opinion of his job performance and win elections? Cite at least four examples from the book in developing your answer.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)