|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motivated racial violence to intensify?
2. What resulted from the high ranking personnel change that came to Daley at the beginning of his fourth term?
3. Who did Richard Daley convince to hold the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
4. How did Richard Daley respond to growing tensions in the weeks leading up to the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
5. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Daley's personal history affect your view of politics and government? Does Daley's climb to power interest you to be involved in politics? Write a persuasive essay on what sort of characteristics are important for an elected official and why it is important to know the types of personal relationships that official keeps.
Essay Topic 2
Richard Daley had many good characteristics, but he also used those characteristics in a way that they were corrupted. Write an expository essay on how Richard Daley used some very important character qualities to achieve a goal but allowed those qualities to be used for a system that was corrupted. Conclude your essay with whether or not you believe that corruption such as was ingrained in the Cook County Democratic Party can be cleaned up and how the positive character qualities of Richard Daley could have been used in that cause.
Essay Topic 3
What is propaganda and how did Richard Daley and the Machine use propaganda to shape public opinion of his job performance and win elections? Cite at least four examples from the book in developing your answer.
This section contains 1,939 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)