Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the inauguration of John F. Kennedy, how many people were considered to be more powerful than Richard Daley?
2. What became the most consuming controversy during Richard Daley's first two terms as mayor?
3. How was Richard Daley's initial urban renewal effort accepted by those who who used the areas?
4. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
5. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
Essay Topic 1
Based upon what you know of how criminals had infiltrated Chicago City Hall in the 1920's and 1930's, why do you think that it was important for Richard Daley to develop a relationship with Abraham Marovitz, a prosecutor who had associations with gangsters. How could that relationship make Daley valuable to the Cook County Democrat Party?
Essay Topic 2
Write a persuasive essay addressing the following questions: Is it practical to hold a political system to a set of standards when it is contending for power and wealth? How can your participation in the political system hold it to account for upholding particular ethical standards? At what point would you be willing to abandon one party for involvement in another party when you become disappointed with the ethical qualities of political candidates your party offers?
Essay Topic 3
What is propaganda and how did Richard Daley and the Machine use propaganda to shape public opinion of his job performance and win elections? Cite at least four examples from the book in developing your answer.
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)