|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Richard Daley's initial urban renewal effort accepted by those who who used the areas?
2. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
3. What did the public officials do in the 1970 scandal that compounded the problems for Richard Daley?
4. How deeply institutionalized was segregation in Chicago's city planning departments?
5. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A burglary scandal in the police department brought Richard Daley to his lowest point emotionally and politically in early 1960, but his appointment of Orlando Wilson to Chief of Police and his electoral victories in the 1960 election (under very suspicious circumstances) brought many to consider Daley the second most powerful man in the country. How might Daley's administration and the influence of the Machine been affected if the 1960 election had not been so convincing?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
Essay Topic 3
Consider how Richard Daley used his position as Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee to unseat his predecessor, Democratic Mayor Martin Kennelly. How do you think Daley's tactics motivated him to hold onto the chairmanship of the party after he won election as Mayor? How do you think that Daley's action against Kennelly shaped his attitudes toward Democrats who challenged his authority? Apply Joe McDonough's rule, ". . . help your friends, punish your enemies . . ." to develop your response. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,049 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)