|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the response of contenders for the 1972 Democrat Presidential Nomination signify to Richard Daley?
2. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
3. How did Richard Daley handle complaints against his department heads?
4. In what year did Richard Daley begin his fifth term?
5. What was the result of an effort to prove that Richard Daley's neighbors were intolerant of segregating neighborhoods based on color?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What part of Richard Daley's personal background made him intolerant of officials in his administration who had extramarital affairs? Do you consider his strong moral stand in this area to be inconsistent with his obvious tolerance of officials who abused their power for financial gain as long as they did not get caught? Explain how this inconsistency actually made him more dangerous in the corruption he accepted.
Essay Topic 2Consider how Richard Daley used his position as Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee to unseat his predecessor, Democratic Mayor Martin Kennelly. How do you think Daley's tactics motivated him to hold onto the chairmanship of the party after he won election as Mayor? How do you think that Daley's action against Kennelly shaped his attitudes toward Democrats who challenged his authority? Apply Joe McDonough's rule, ". . . help your friends, punish your enemies . . ." to develop your response. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3A burglary scandal in the police department brought Richard Daley to his lowest point emotionally and politically in early 1960, but his appointment of Orlando Wilson to Chief of Police and his electoral victories in the 1960 election (under very suspicious circumstances) brought many to consider Daley the second most powerful man in the country. How might Daley's administration and the influence of the Machine been affected if the 1960 election had not been so convincing?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)