|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Richard Daley respond to growing tensions in the weeks leading up to the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
2. How did Richard Daley handle complaints against his department heads?
3. What were the results of the election leading to Richard Daley's fourth term?
4. How did Richard Daley address the corruption within the city government?
5. In what year did Richard Daley begin his fifth term?
Essay Topic 1
How did Richard Daley's practice of paying top union scale for public works jobs affect the cost of the labor market in Chicago? What was the pressure on private employers to compete for skilled workers? Who actually paid the high wages for these workers? Who also eventually paid for the increased costs of production in businesses that had their operations and factories in Chicago?
Essay Topic 2
Write a persuasive essay addressing the following questions: Is it practical to hold a political system to a set of standards when it is contending for power and wealth? How can your participation in the political system hold it to account for upholding particular ethical standards? At what point would you be willing to abandon one party for involvement in another party when you become disappointed with the ethical qualities of political candidates your party offers?
Essay Topic 3
What part of Richard Daley's personal background made him intolerant of officials in his administration who had extramarital affairs? Do you consider his strong moral stand in this area to be inconsistent with his obvious tolerance of officials who abused their power for financial gain as long as they did not get caught? Explain how this inconsistency actually made him more dangerous in the corruption he accepted.
This section contains 1,917 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)