Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the inauguration of John F. Kennedy, how many people were considered to be more powerful than Richard Daley?
2. What became the most consuming controversy during Richard Daley's first two terms as mayor?
3. How was Richard Daley's initial urban renewal effort accepted by those who who used the areas?
4. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
5. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
Essay Topic 2
What part of Richard Daley's personal background made him intolerant of officials in his administration who had extramarital affairs? Do you consider his strong moral stand in this area to be inconsistent with his obvious tolerance of officials who abused their power for financial gain as long as they did not get caught? Explain how this inconsistency actually made him more dangerous in the corruption he accepted.
Essay Topic 3
How did Joe McDonough's fondness for gambling help Richard Daley's career with City Hall and the Chicago Democratic Central Committee? Which of McDonough's rules, "help your friends, hurt your enemies, adjust a case through the police and add up the votes until they come out right. Most important rule--don't get caught. Don't repeat what you hear," served him best while he covered for McDonough? How could Daley have hurt his career with regard to the neglect McDonough showed for his responsibilities? Do you believe that Daley was covering for a friend or picking up valuable experience in running an office and earning a reputation as someone who would make sure the job is done?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)