Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the inauguration of John F. Kennedy, how many people were considered to be more powerful than Richard Daley?
2. What became the most consuming controversy during Richard Daley's first two terms as mayor?
3. How was Richard Daley's initial urban renewal effort accepted by those who who used the areas?
4. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
5. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
Essay Topic 1
A burglary scandal in the police department brought Richard Daley to his lowest point emotionally and politically in early 1960, but his appointment of Orlando Wilson to Chief of Police and his electoral victories in the 1960 election (under very suspicious circumstances) brought many to consider Daley the second most powerful man in the country. How might Daley's administration and the influence of the Machine been affected if the 1960 election had not been so convincing?
Essay Topic 2
What is propaganda and how did Richard Daley and the Machine use propaganda to shape public opinion of his job performance and win elections? Cite at least four examples from the book in developing your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What part of Richard Daley's personal background made him intolerant of officials in his administration who had extramarital affairs? Do you consider his strong moral stand in this area to be inconsistent with his obvious tolerance of officials who abused their power for financial gain as long as they did not get caught? Explain how this inconsistency actually made him more dangerous in the corruption he accepted.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)