|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were among the leaders for the 1972 Democrat nomination for president in 1971?
2. What happened to Richard Daley's popularity in Chicago after the turmoil of the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
3. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
4. What 1960 police department scandal caused great embarrassment for Richard Daley?
5. How did the public respond to Richard Daley's response to the outbreaks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
Essay Topic 2
How many timely deaths opened up a political office for Richard Daley to occupy? In the corrupt environment of the Chicago Democratic Party, were those deaths in Daley's background good or bad for his reputation as he became Chairman of the Cook County Central Committee? Support your position with information from the book. What other facts from his background made him a useful leader for the Cook County Central Committee? Why did you choose the facts that you did? What influence did Daley's personal history and reputation have on the Machine?
Essay Topic 3
Consider how Richard Daley used his position as Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee to unseat his predecessor, Democratic Mayor Martin Kennelly. How do you think Daley's tactics motivated him to hold onto the chairmanship of the party after he won election as Mayor? How do you think that Daley's action against Kennelly shaped his attitudes toward Democrats who challenged his authority? Apply Joe McDonough's rule, ". . . help your friends, punish your enemies . . ." to develop your response. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)