|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organizations gave Richard Daley his most loyal support?
2. To whom was Richard Daley most loyal according to Royko?
3. What role did Joe McDonough play in shaping Richard Daley's political career?
4. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
5. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the three types of party officials in a precinct for the Cook County Democratic Party and what did they expect from their efforts?
2. Who was Mike Royko and what was his interest in Richard Daley?
3. How did Richard Daley become a candidate for his first election and for what party was he elected?
4. In earlier times how would a ward committeeman coerce immigrants to vote for Democrats?
5. What types of jobs did ward committeemen hold?
6. Who did Richard Daley appoint to get corruption under control and what were his qualifications?
7. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
8. To what office was Richard Daley's mentor elected and how did his mentor's habit help his career?
9. What was the motivation for Richard Daley to maintain segregation?
10. What was Richard Daley's strange moral code?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A burglary scandal in the police department brought Richard Daley to his lowest point emotionally and politically in early 1960, but his appointment of Orlando Wilson to Chief of Police and his electoral victories in the 1960 election (under very suspicious circumstances) brought many to consider Daley the second most powerful man in the country. How might Daley's administration and the influence of the Machine been affected if the 1960 election had not been so convincing?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
Essay Topic 3
How does Daley's personal history affect your view of politics and government? Does Daley's climb to power interest you to be involved in politics? Write a persuasive essay on what sort of characteristics are important for an elected official and why it is important to know the types of personal relationships that official keeps.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)