|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the last elected Chicago Mayor before Richard Daley?
2. What kind of speaking style did Daley have?
3. How were patronage jobs issued in Chicago?
4. When was the Introduction written?
5. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mike Royko believe will come of the memory of Richard Daley's reign as Mayor of Chicago?
2. What was the most notable contribution Richard Daley made to the Cook County Democratic Central Committee and how was it shown?
3. What was Richard Daley's strategy regarding dirty campaigning?
4. What were the three types of party officials in a precinct for the Cook County Democratic Party and what did they expect from their efforts?
5. What was the result of the turmoil during the 1968 Democratic National Convention to Richard Daley's personal popularity?
6. What were three scandals that plagued the Chicago Police Department in 1959 and 1960?
7. In earlier times how would a ward committeeman coerce immigrants to vote for Democrats?
8. What was Richard Daley's strange moral code?
9. What were some of the things that police were involved in that made the Chicago Police Department corrupt?
10. What were some of the events that happened over the years along the route Richard Daley took to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a persuasive essay addressing the following questions: Is it practical to hold a political system to a set of standards when it is contending for power and wealth? How can your participation in the political system hold it to account for upholding particular ethical standards? At what point would you be willing to abandon one party for involvement in another party when you become disappointed with the ethical qualities of political candidates your party offers?
Essay Topic 2
How did Joe McDonough's fondness for gambling help Richard Daley's career with City Hall and the Chicago Democratic Central Committee? Which of McDonough's rules, "help your friends, hurt your enemies, adjust a case through the police and add up the votes until they come out right. Most important rule--don't get caught. Don't repeat what you hear," served him best while he covered for McDonough? How could Daley have hurt his career with regard to the neglect McDonough showed for his responsibilities? Do you believe that Daley was covering for a friend or picking up valuable experience in running an office and earning a reputation as someone who would make sure the job is done?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon how Chapter II reported on the infiltration of Chicago City Hall by gangs and criminals and the affect they had on law enforcement and the judicial system, write a persuasive essay on why or why not personal adherence to ethical standards is important to people in leadership positions.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)