|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
2. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
3. When was the Introduction written?
4. Where were the headquarters of the Chicago Democrat Party in relation to Richard Daley's office?
5. Royko reported that _______________ were most suspicious of Richard Daley.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's strategy regarding dirty campaigning?
2. How did Richard Daley earn and keep the support of unions?
3. What are some of the ethnic neighborhoods that Richard Daley passed through as he was being driven to work everyday that he was Mayor of Chicago?
4. What was Richard Daley's margin of victory in 1971 and what did it mean for his power over Chicago?
5. Who was Vito Marzullo, for what was he famous, and what was his reward for his performance?
6. How did Richard Daley decide whose complaints will get satisfactory treatment?
7. Why did leading contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination of 1972 congratulate Richard Daley on his 1971 election victory?
8. What law enforcement order did Richard Daley make during riots that broke out after the assassination of Martin Luther King?
9. Who was Richard Daley's opponent for the campaign for his fourth term as mayor and what were the issues the opponent raised during the campaign?
10. What are two daily rituals that Richard Daley had on his trip to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Daley's personal history affect your view of politics and government? Does Daley's climb to power interest you to be involved in politics? Write a persuasive essay on what sort of characteristics are important for an elected official and why it is important to know the types of personal relationships that official keeps.
Essay Topic 2
Draw a flow chart of the positions in the Cook County Democratic Party as it is detailed in Chapter IV. Ward Committee members who were most successful in turning out the vote earned the authority to fill the most patronage jobs. Based upon what you learned that Cook County Democrats, ". . . add up votes until they come out right . . ." how did this method of appointing patronage jobs not only corrupt elections, but also corrupt Chicago public service jobs? How did this corruption and the wealth it brought to supporters of the Democratic Party help the Machine dominate elections for decades?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
This section contains 2,301 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)