|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the president who appointed Abraham Marovitz and what year was it done?
2. What talent of Richard Daley's earned him praise from Democrats around the country?
3. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
4. Why did Royko consider Richard Daley to be a believable father figure to Chicagoans?
5. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's margin of victory in 1971 and what did it mean for his power over Chicago?
2. What was the result of the turmoil during the 1968 Democratic National Convention to Richard Daley's personal popularity?
3. What were some of the events that happened over the years along the route Richard Daley took to work?
4. Who won the 1960 presidential election and what was Richard Daley's role in the victory?
5. What was the comparison Mike Royko made between Richard Daley and the people of the City of Chicago?
6. Why did Richard Daley have a daily meeting with the director of patronage and why was it important to his power?
7. What were three scandals that plagued the Chicago Police Department in 1959 and 1960?
8. What law enforcement order did Richard Daley make during riots that broke out after the assassination of Martin Luther King?
9. What effort was taken to prove that Chicago was rigidly segregated and what was the result?
10. What was Richard Daley's response when a commission ruled the Chicago Police Department was to treat African-Americans the same as whites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is propaganda and how did Richard Daley and the Machine use propaganda to shape public opinion of his job performance and win elections? Cite at least four examples from the book in developing your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write a persuasive essay addressing the following questions: Is it practical to hold a political system to a set of standards when it is contending for power and wealth? How can your participation in the political system hold it to account for upholding particular ethical standards? At what point would you be willing to abandon one party for involvement in another party when you become disappointed with the ethical qualities of political candidates your party offers?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon how Chapter II reported on the infiltration of Chicago City Hall by gangs and criminals and the affect they had on law enforcement and the judicial system, write a persuasive essay on why or why not personal adherence to ethical standards is important to people in leadership positions.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)