|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what type of neighborhood was Richard Daley born?
2. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
3. In what year did Richard Daley die?
4. What was Richard Daley's advice to city officials getting money on the sly?
5. In earlier times how did ward committeemen win influence over immigrants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Richard Daley present himself in his first campaign for Mayor of Chicago?
2. What were three scandals that plagued the Chicago Police Department in 1959 and 1960?
3. Why did Richard Daley have a daily meeting with the director of patronage and why was it important to his power?
4. How did Richard Daley decide whose complaints will get satisfactory treatment?
5. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
6. How did Chicago's city government conspire to segregate neighborhoods?
7. What was the motivation for Richard Daley to maintain segregation?
8. How did Richard Daley respond to rumors of an anti-war faction planning to cause trouble at the 1968 Democrat National Convention?
9. What was Richard Daley's strategy regarding dirty campaigning?
10. Who were two important candidates that Richard Daley chose to run for office after the turmoil of the 1968 Democrat National Convention and why was it important for them to win?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Richard Daley's practice of paying top union scale for public works jobs affect the cost of the labor market in Chicago? What was the pressure on private employers to compete for skilled workers? Who actually paid the high wages for these workers? Who also eventually paid for the increased costs of production in businesses that had their operations and factories in Chicago?
Essay Topic 2
After a study found that the Chicago Police were more abusive to African-Americans than they were to whites, the commission suggested blacks and whites be treated more equitably. Richard Daley responded by ordering that whites apprehended by police receive more severe treatment. How was this decision by Daley, along with other events, a precursor to the violence that overshadowed the 1968 Democrat National Convention? Identify at least two other events that suggested Chicago was a dangerous site for the convention.
Essay Topic 3
Write a persuasive essay addressing the following questions: Is it practical to hold a political system to a set of standards when it is contending for power and wealth? How can your participation in the political system hold it to account for upholding particular ethical standards? At what point would you be willing to abandon one party for involvement in another party when you become disappointed with the ethical qualities of political candidates your party offers?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)