|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the lawyer who investigated the relationship between Daley and Marovitz?
2. What was one of the issues that members of the Democratic Central Committee used to oppose Richard Daley during his campaign to become Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
3. What did Royko state disturbed Richard Daley?
4. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
5. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
2. What law enforcement order did Richard Daley make during riots that broke out after the assassination of Martin Luther King?
3. How did Richard Daley present himself in his first campaign for Mayor of Chicago?
4. How did Richard Daley deal with scandals and inefficiencies within the city departments in Chicago?
5. Why, according to Mike Royko, were immigrants supportive of Richard Daley?
6. How did Richard Daley become a candidate for his first election and for what party was he elected?
7. Why did leading contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination of 1972 congratulate Richard Daley on his 1971 election victory?
8. What effort was taken to prove that Chicago was rigidly segregated and what was the result?
9. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election margin mean for his future influence over Chicago?
10. How did Richard Daley decide whose complaints will get satisfactory treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
Essay Topic 2
Richard Daley used his power over the political system of Chicago to coerce people . Consider that you were living in an ethnic neighborhood in Chicago and a precinct captain suggested that if you did not vote for Democrats in the coming election you might lose access to your publicly supported housing. You would like to see something done to protect you and your family from this type of threat so you have decided to write a letter to the editor so the entire city knows the problem you and your friends are facing. List some of the consequences you might face from writing such a letter, then write the letter. Are the consequences you might face for having the letter published a reasonable cost for exposing the truth?
Essay Topic 3
How does Daley's personal history affect your view of politics and government? Does Daley's climb to power interest you to be involved in politics? Write a persuasive essay on what sort of characteristics are important for an elected official and why it is important to know the types of personal relationships that official keeps.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)