|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
2. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
3. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
4. To whom was Richard Daley most loyal according to Royko?
5. What did Richard Daley leave behind after his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election margin mean for his future influence over Chicago?
2. What was the comparison Mike Royko made between Richard Daley and the people of the City of Chicago?
3. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election victory mean for political observers around the country?
4. How were Chicago neighborhoods like small towns when Richard Daley was growing up?
5. What did a grand jury report on Richard Daley's 68th birthday?
6. What was Richard Daley's first achievement as Mayor of Chicago in 1956?
7. What was Richard Daley's response when a commission ruled the Chicago Police Department was to treat African-Americans the same as whites?
8. Where was Richard Daley customarily dropped off in the early years that he was Mayor of Chicago to make his regular stops before he went to City Hall, and why was that drop-off point changed?
9. What was the name of a club that Richard Daley belonged to and who did he meet in that club that taught him about Chicago politics?
10. How did Richard Daley become a candidate for Mayor of Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard Daley had many good characteristics, but he also used those characteristics in a way that they were corrupted. Write an expository essay on how Richard Daley used some very important character qualities to achieve a goal but allowed those qualities to be used for a system that was corrupted. Conclude your essay with whether or not you believe that corruption such as was ingrained in the Cook County Democratic Party can be cleaned up and how the positive character qualities of Richard Daley could have been used in that cause.
Essay Topic 2
How does Daley's personal history affect your view of politics and government? Does Daley's climb to power interest you to be involved in politics? Write a persuasive essay on what sort of characteristics are important for an elected official and why it is important to know the types of personal relationships that official keeps.
Essay Topic 3
The 1968 Democratic National Convention was distracted by antiwar demonstrations and police brutality against war protesters. What were the warning signs between 1966 to the beginning of 1967 that President Johnson could have read before making the decision to make Chicago the host city of the convention? Why might President Johnson have been persuaded to choose Chicago as the host city in spite of the indications that turmoil might emerge from the charged political environment there? Explain President Johnson's responsibility for exposing the Democratic Party to the turmoil that erupted in Chicago.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)