|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the last elected Chicago Mayor before Richard Daley?
2. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
3. What was Richard Daley's family background?
4. What happened when the incumbent mayor before Richard Daley made his appeal before the Cook County Central Committee that was chaired by Daley?
5. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
Short Essay Questions
1. What law enforcement order did Richard Daley make during riots that broke out after the assassination of Martin Luther King?
2. What were Richard Daley's two contrasting moral positions that Mike Royko detailed in the Introduction?
3. What did Richard Daley become to many immigrants according to Mike Royko?
4. What event caused violence to increase during protests against Chicago's segregation?
5. What are some of the ethnic neighborhoods that Richard Daley passed through as he was being driven to work everyday that he was Mayor of Chicago?
6. Where was Richard Daley customarily dropped off in the early years that he was Mayor of Chicago to make his regular stops before he went to City Hall, and why was that drop-off point changed?
7. What were some of the things that police were involved in that made the Chicago Police Department corrupt?
8. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election victory mean for political observers around the country?
9. What was the "Battle of Michigan Avenue"?
10. How did Richard Daley perform in the segregated neighborhoods during the election for his fourth term, and to what did Daley attribute the results?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What part of Richard Daley's personal background made him intolerant of officials in his administration who had extramarital affairs? Do you consider his strong moral stand in this area to be inconsistent with his obvious tolerance of officials who abused their power for financial gain as long as they did not get caught? Explain how this inconsistency actually made him more dangerous in the corruption he accepted.
Essay Topic 2
Richard Daley used his power over the political system of Chicago to coerce people . Consider that you were living in an ethnic neighborhood in Chicago and a precinct captain suggested that if you did not vote for Democrats in the coming election you might lose access to your publicly supported housing. You would like to see something done to protect you and your family from this type of threat so you have decided to write a letter to the editor so the entire city knows the problem you and your friends are facing. List some of the consequences you might face from writing such a letter, then write the letter. Are the consequences you might face for having the letter published a reasonable cost for exposing the truth?
Essay Topic 3
How does Daley's personal history affect your view of politics and government? Does Daley's climb to power interest you to be involved in politics? Write a persuasive essay on what sort of characteristics are important for an elected official and why it is important to know the types of personal relationships that official keeps.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)