|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
2. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
3. What is the topic for Chapter II?
4. What made the Cook County Democratic Central Committee so powerful?
5. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the most notable contribution Richard Daley made to the Cook County Democratic Central Committee and how was it shown?
2. What was Richard Daley's strange moral code?
3. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
4. How did Richard Daley become a candidate for Mayor of Chicago?
5. What did Richard Daley become to many immigrants according to Mike Royko?
6. What was a rumor the Democratic Machine spread about Alderman Robert Merriam to help Richard Daley's win the 1955 mayoral election?
7. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election victory mean for political observers around the country?
8. What was Richard Daley's margin of victory in 1971 and what did it mean for his power over Chicago?
9. What was Richard Daley's strategy regarding dirty campaigning?
10. Who was Mike Royko and what was his interest in Richard Daley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard Daley used his power over the political system of Chicago to coerce people . Consider that you were living in an ethnic neighborhood in Chicago and a precinct captain suggested that if you did not vote for Democrats in the coming election you might lose access to your publicly supported housing. You would like to see something done to protect you and your family from this type of threat so you have decided to write a letter to the editor so the entire city knows the problem you and your friends are facing. List some of the consequences you might face from writing such a letter, then write the letter. Are the consequences you might face for having the letter published a reasonable cost for exposing the truth?
Essay Topic 2
Based upon what you know of how criminals had infiltrated Chicago City Hall in the 1920's and 1930's, why do you think that it was important for Richard Daley to develop a relationship with Abraham Marovitz, a prosecutor who had associations with gangsters. How could that relationship make Daley valuable to the Cook County Democrat Party?
Essay Topic 3
Richard Daley had many good characteristics, but he also used those characteristics in a way that they were corrupted. Write an expository essay on how Richard Daley used some very important character qualities to achieve a goal but allowed those qualities to be used for a system that was corrupted. Conclude your essay with whether or not you believe that corruption such as was ingrained in the Cook County Democratic Party can be cleaned up and how the positive character qualities of Richard Daley could have been used in that cause.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)