|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made the Cook County Democratic Central Committee so powerful?
2. What is the topic for Chapter IV?
3. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
4. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
5. How did Richard Daley's talent affect the 1948 election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a rumor the Democratic Machine spread about Alderman Robert Merriam to help Richard Daley's win the 1955 mayoral election?
2. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
3. Who did Richard Daley appoint to get corruption under control and what were his qualifications?
4. What was Richard Daley's first achievement as Mayor of Chicago in 1956?
5. How were Chicago neighborhoods like small towns when Richard Daley was growing up?
6. Why did leading contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination of 1972 congratulate Richard Daley on his 1971 election victory?
7. What were some of the events that happened over the years along the route Richard Daley took to work?
8. What was the motivation for Richard Daley to maintain segregation?
9. Who was Mike Royko and what was his interest in Richard Daley?
10. How did Richard Daley deal with scandals and inefficiencies within the city departments in Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon what your read in "Boss: Richard J. Daley of Chicago," do you consider the goals of the Chicago desegregation movement to be for political power or for social access? Write an expository essay detailing your position. Use at least three examples from the book that support your view.
Essay Topic 2
What is propaganda and how did Richard Daley and the Machine use propaganda to shape public opinion of his job performance and win elections? Cite at least four examples from the book in developing your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Consider how Richard Daley used his position as Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee to unseat his predecessor, Democratic Mayor Martin Kennelly. How do you think Daley's tactics motivated him to hold onto the chairmanship of the party after he won election as Mayor? How do you think that Daley's action against Kennelly shaped his attitudes toward Democrats who challenged his authority? Apply Joe McDonough's rule, ". . . help your friends, punish your enemies . . ." to develop your response. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,356 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)