|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Richard Daley earn a position in the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
2. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
3. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
4. In what year was Richard Daley born?
5. What was Richard Daley's family background?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's strategy regarding dirty campaigning?
2. Who did Richard Daley appoint to get corruption under control and what were his qualifications?
3. What were some of the events that happened over the years along the route Richard Daley took to work?
4. What were the three types of party officials in a precinct for the Cook County Democratic Party and what did they expect from their efforts?
5. What was Richard Daley's first achievement as Mayor of Chicago in 1956?
6. Who was Abraham Lincoln Marovitz and how did he become acquainted with Richard Daley?
7. Who was Mike Royko and what was his interest in Richard Daley?
8. What did a grand jury report on Richard Daley's 68th birthday?
9. How did Chicago's city government conspire to segregate neighborhoods?
10. Why did Richard Daley have a daily meeting with the director of patronage and why was it important to his power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How many timely deaths opened up a political office for Richard Daley to occupy? In the corrupt environment of the Chicago Democratic Party, were those deaths in Daley's background good or bad for his reputation as he became Chairman of the Cook County Central Committee? Support your position with information from the book. What other facts from his background made him a useful leader for the Cook County Central Committee? Why did you choose the facts that you did? What influence did Daley's personal history and reputation have on the Machine?
Essay Topic 2
After a study found that the Chicago Police were more abusive to African-Americans than they were to whites, the commission suggested blacks and whites be treated more equitably. Richard Daley responded by ordering that whites apprehended by police receive more severe treatment. How was this decision by Daley, along with other events, a precursor to the violence that overshadowed the 1968 Democrat National Convention? Identify at least two other events that suggested Chicago was a dangerous site for the convention.
Essay Topic 3
The 1968 Democratic National Convention was distracted by antiwar demonstrations and police brutality against war protesters. What were the warning signs between 1966 to the beginning of 1967 that President Johnson could have read before making the decision to make Chicago the host city of the convention? Why might President Johnson have been persuaded to choose Chicago as the host city in spite of the indications that turmoil might emerge from the charged political environment there? Explain President Johnson's responsibility for exposing the Democratic Party to the turmoil that erupted in Chicago.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)