|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the issues that members of the Democratic Central Committee used to oppose Richard Daley during his campaign to become Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
2. In what year did Richard Daley die?
3. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
4. In earlier times how did ward committeemen win influence over immigrants?
5. Why did Royko consider Richard Daley to be a believable father figure to Chicagoans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Richard Daley have a daily meeting with the director of patronage and why was it important to his power?
2. Who was Richard Daley's opponent for the campaign for his fourth term as mayor and what were the issues the opponent raised during the campaign?
3. What are two daily rituals that Richard Daley had on his trip to work?
4. What were three scandals that plagued the Chicago Police Department in 1959 and 1960?
5. How did Richard Daley decide whose complaints will get satisfactory treatment?
6. Who was Vito Marzullo, for what was he famous, and what was his reward for his performance?
7. What power did Richard Daley receive when he became Chairman over the Cook Country Democratic Central Committee?
8. Who were two important candidates that Richard Daley chose to run for office after the turmoil of the 1968 Democrat National Convention and why was it important for them to win?
9. What types of jobs did ward committeemen hold?
10. What was the event that set the stage for violent confrontations at the 1968 Democrat National Convention scheduled for Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
Essay Topic 2
Richard Daley had many good characteristics, but he also used those characteristics in a way that they were corrupted. Write an expository essay on how Richard Daley used some very important character qualities to achieve a goal but allowed those qualities to be used for a system that was corrupted. Conclude your essay with whether or not you believe that corruption such as was ingrained in the Cook County Democratic Party can be cleaned up and how the positive character qualities of Richard Daley could have been used in that cause.
Essay Topic 3
Based upon what your read in "Boss: Richard J. Daley of Chicago," do you consider the goals of the Chicago desegregation movement to be for political power or for social access? Write an expository essay detailing your position. Use at least three examples from the book that support your view.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)