|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in the front and back of Richard Daley's house?
2. To whom was Richard Daley most loyal according to Royko?
3. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
4. What did Royko state disturbed Richard Daley?
5. What did Richard Daley persist in calling Chicago O'Hare International Airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's response when a commission ruled the Chicago Police Department was to treat African-Americans the same as whites?
2. How did Richard Daley respond to rumors of an anti-war faction planning to cause trouble at the 1968 Democrat National Convention?
3. What was the motivation for Richard Daley to maintain segregation?
4. What was a rumor the Democratic Machine spread about Alderman Robert Merriam to help Richard Daley's win the 1955 mayoral election?
5. In earlier times how would a ward committeeman coerce immigrants to vote for Democrats?
6. To what office was Richard Daley's mentor elected and how did his mentor's habit help his career?
7. What event caused violence to increase during protests against Chicago's segregation?
8. What effort was taken to prove that Chicago was rigidly segregated and what was the result?
9. What was the name of a club that Richard Daley belonged to and who did he meet in that club that taught him about Chicago politics?
10. What are two daily rituals that Richard Daley had on his trip to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Draw a flow chart of the positions in the Cook County Democratic Party as it is detailed in Chapter IV. Ward Committee members who were most successful in turning out the vote earned the authority to fill the most patronage jobs. Based upon what you learned that Cook County Democrats, ". . . add up votes until they come out right . . ." how did this method of appointing patronage jobs not only corrupt elections, but also corrupt Chicago public service jobs? How did this corruption and the wealth it brought to supporters of the Democratic Party help the Machine dominate elections for decades?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
Essay Topic 3
Consider how Richard Daley used his position as Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee to unseat his predecessor, Democratic Mayor Martin Kennelly. How do you think Daley's tactics motivated him to hold onto the chairmanship of the party after he won election as Mayor? How do you think that Daley's action against Kennelly shaped his attitudes toward Democrats who challenged his authority? Apply Joe McDonough's rule, ". . . help your friends, punish your enemies . . ." to develop your response. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)