|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was among the promises that Daley made during the campaign?
2. When was the Introduction written?
3. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
4. What role did Joe McDonough play in shaping Richard Daley's political career?
5. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the event that set the stage for violent confrontations at the 1968 Democrat National Convention scheduled for Chicago?
2. What power did Richard Daley receive when he became Chairman over the Cook Country Democratic Central Committee?
3. What effort was taken to prove that Chicago was rigidly segregated and what was the result?
4. What types of jobs did ward committeemen hold?
5. What was the school that Richard Daley attended after high school and what sort of skills did that school teach?
6. How did Chicago's city government conspire to segregate neighborhoods?
7. What was a rumor the Democratic Machine spread about Alderman Robert Merriam to help Richard Daley's win the 1955 mayoral election?
8. What did Mike Royko believe will come of the memory of Richard Daley's reign as Mayor of Chicago?
9. Who did Richard Daley appoint to get corruption under control and what were his qualifications?
10. What are some of the ethnic neighborhoods that Richard Daley passed through as he was being driven to work everyday that he was Mayor of Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Joe McDonough's fondness for gambling help Richard Daley's career with City Hall and the Chicago Democratic Central Committee? Which of McDonough's rules, "help your friends, hurt your enemies, adjust a case through the police and add up the votes until they come out right. Most important rule--don't get caught. Don't repeat what you hear," served him best while he covered for McDonough? How could Daley have hurt his career with regard to the neglect McDonough showed for his responsibilities? Do you believe that Daley was covering for a friend or picking up valuable experience in running an office and earning a reputation as someone who would make sure the job is done?
Essay Topic 2
A burglary scandal in the police department brought Richard Daley to his lowest point emotionally and politically in early 1960, but his appointment of Orlando Wilson to Chief of Police and his electoral victories in the 1960 election (under very suspicious circumstances) brought many to consider Daley the second most powerful man in the country. How might Daley's administration and the influence of the Machine been affected if the 1960 election had not been so convincing?
Essay Topic 3
Richard Daley used his power over the political system of Chicago to coerce people . Consider that you were living in an ethnic neighborhood in Chicago and a precinct captain suggested that if you did not vote for Democrats in the coming election you might lose access to your publicly supported housing. You would like to see something done to protect you and your family from this type of threat so you have decided to write a letter to the editor so the entire city knows the problem you and your friends are facing. List some of the consequences you might face from writing such a letter, then write the letter. Are the consequences you might face for having the letter published a reasonable cost for exposing the truth?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)