|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
2. What was the name of the lawyer who investigated the relationship between Daley and Marovitz?
3. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
4. What was Richard Daley's unusual moral code?
5. In what year did Richard Daley earn a position in the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's first achievement as Mayor of Chicago in 1956?
2. How did Richard Daley become a candidate for Mayor of Chicago?
3. Who won the 1960 presidential election and what was Richard Daley's role in the victory?
4. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election victory mean for political observers around the country?
5. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
6. What types of jobs did ward committeemen hold?
7. What was Richard Daley's strange moral code?
8. How did Richard Daley respond to rumors of an anti-war faction planning to cause trouble at the 1968 Democrat National Convention?
9. Who was Vito Marzullo, for what was he famous, and what was his reward for his performance?
10. What was Richard Daley's response when a commission ruled the Chicago Police Department was to treat African-Americans the same as whites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a persuasive essay addressing the following questions: Is it practical to hold a political system to a set of standards when it is contending for power and wealth? How can your participation in the political system hold it to account for upholding particular ethical standards? At what point would you be willing to abandon one party for involvement in another party when you become disappointed with the ethical qualities of political candidates your party offers?
Essay Topic 2
Richard Daley used his power over the political system of Chicago to coerce people . Consider that you were living in an ethnic neighborhood in Chicago and a precinct captain suggested that if you did not vote for Democrats in the coming election you might lose access to your publicly supported housing. You would like to see something done to protect you and your family from this type of threat so you have decided to write a letter to the editor so the entire city knows the problem you and your friends are facing. List some of the consequences you might face from writing such a letter, then write the letter. Are the consequences you might face for having the letter published a reasonable cost for exposing the truth?
Essay Topic 3
Based upon what you know of how criminals had infiltrated Chicago City Hall in the 1920's and 1930's, why do you think that it was important for Richard Daley to develop a relationship with Abraham Marovitz, a prosecutor who had associations with gangsters. How could that relationship make Daley valuable to the Cook County Democrat Party?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)