|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Introduction first appear?
2. How many patronage jobs did Vito Marzullo have for his precinct?
3. How did ward committeemen use their influence to encourage participation in elections?
4. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
5. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Richard Daley have a daily meeting with the director of patronage and why was it important to his power?
2. Why did the grand jury report on the Black Panther shootings cause problems for Daley's administration?
3. What was the result of the turmoil during the 1968 Democratic National Convention to Richard Daley's personal popularity?
4. Who opposed Richard Daley's candidacy for Cook County Democratic Chairman, and how did Daley end up getting the position?
5. What were three scandals that plagued the Chicago Police Department in 1959 and 1960?
6. How did Richard Daley present himself in his first campaign for Mayor of Chicago?
7. What was the event that set the stage for violent confrontations at the 1968 Democrat National Convention scheduled for Chicago?
8. What was a rumor the Democratic Machine spread about Alderman Robert Merriam to help Richard Daley's win the 1955 mayoral election?
9. What was the school that Richard Daley attended after high school and what sort of skills did that school teach?
10. Who was Mike Royko and what was his interest in Richard Daley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Consider how Richard Daley used his position as Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee to unseat his predecessor, Democratic Mayor Martin Kennelly. How do you think Daley's tactics motivated him to hold onto the chairmanship of the party after he won election as Mayor? How do you think that Daley's action against Kennelly shaped his attitudes toward Democrats who challenged his authority? Apply Joe McDonough's rule, ". . . help your friends, punish your enemies . . ." to develop your response. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2Based upon how Chapter II reported on the infiltration of Chicago City Hall by gangs and criminals and the affect they had on law enforcement and the judicial system, write a persuasive essay on why or why not personal adherence to ethical standards is important to people in leadership positions.
Essay Topic 3Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)