|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would ward committeemen do if they could not win election to an additional public office?
2. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
3. Why is the Chicago race riot of 1919 an important event in Richard Daley's history?
4. Who was among the more famous ward committeemen from the South Side of Chicago?
5. What did Richard Daley persist in calling Chicago O'Hare International Airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's strategy regarding dirty campaigning?
2. Why did Richard Daley have a daily meeting with the director of patronage and why was it important to his power?
3. Who did Richard Daley appoint to get corruption under control and what were his qualifications?
4. To what office was Richard Daley's mentor elected and how did his mentor's habit help his career?
5. What was the motivation for Richard Daley to maintain segregation?
6. What are some of the ethnic neighborhoods that Richard Daley passed through as he was being driven to work everyday that he was Mayor of Chicago?
7. How did Richard Daley present himself in his first campaign for Mayor of Chicago?
8. What is nepotism and how did Richard Daley use it?
9. What types of jobs did ward committeemen hold?
10. What infamous Chicago event took place in 1919 the day after Richard Daley graduated from his post-high school training and why was it important to Daley's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based upon how Chapter II reported on the infiltration of Chicago City Hall by gangs and criminals and the affect they had on law enforcement and the judicial system, write a persuasive essay on why or why not personal adherence to ethical standards is important to people in leadership positions.
Essay Topic 2
Draw a flow chart of the positions in the Cook County Democratic Party as it is detailed in Chapter IV. Ward Committee members who were most successful in turning out the vote earned the authority to fill the most patronage jobs. Based upon what you learned that Cook County Democrats, ". . . add up votes until they come out right . . ." how did this method of appointing patronage jobs not only corrupt elections, but also corrupt Chicago public service jobs? How did this corruption and the wealth it brought to supporters of the Democratic Party help the Machine dominate elections for decades?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining why you think that segregation might have gotten started in Chicago and why the city government might have had an interest in sustaining it.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)