|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened on Richard Daley's 68th birthday?
(a) City employees gave Daley a big party that was visited by high-ranking Democrats from across the country.
(b) The Democratic Central Committee gave Daley and his wife a trip to the Bahamas.
(c) A grand jury published a report that indicted police for abuse during a raid on a West Side residence where two Black Panther leaders were killed.
(d) He spent a quiet evening in seclusion with his family.
2. What event took place in Chicago during April that foretold conflict at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
(a) Senator Bobby Kennedy was assassinated.
(b) Martin Luther King was assassinated.
(c) A large peace march was held in Chicago in the Loop area.
(d) Eugene McCarthy's primary victories invigorated the antiwar movement.
3. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
(a) Martin Luther King frustrated Daley because he had no control over Dr. King when he caused bad publicity with his protests.
(b) President Kennedy frustrated Daley because he did little to offer political support during the turmoil.
(c) William Kunstler frustrated Daley because he was continually threatening legal action on the injustices Dr. King publicized.
(d) Police Chief Wilson frustrated Daley because he treated African-American protestors with a light touch, and per their agreement Wilson was the one official Daley could not boss around.
4. How did Richard Daley treat department heads who did not perform well?
(a) Daley defended and kept them in until he was ready to replace them.
(b) He publicly took control of the departments and took credit for improvements.
(c) He quietly found replacements and removed them from office.
(d) He ignored their performance hoping the press would not notice.
5. What made this candidate for Cook County Sheriff an attractive choice for the election?
(a) Elrod was hospitalized after having allegedly been injured by a Weatherman activist.
(b) Chicagoans considered Orlando Wilson an effective law enforcement officer.
(c) Marzullo is assured of delivering the Itallian vote.
(d) Adamowski is considered to be independent of Daley's influence.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
2. What was Richard Daley's response after a commission recommended that the police should treat blacks the same as whites?
3. How did the public respond to Richard Daley's response to the outbreaks?
4. What did Richard Daley actually do with the 1970 scandal involving public officials?
5. Who did Richard Daley appoint to take care of the 1960 police department scandal?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)