|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did segregation aid the Democratic political machine in Chicago?
(a) Segregated neighborhoods helped Mayor Daley know where to focus patronage.
(b) Segregation helped the Cook County Democratic Central Committee know which votes to count and which to hold back.
(c) Segregated precincts helped the Cook County Democratic Central Committee know where to apply pressure.
(d) If blacks were allowed to move into white neighborhoods, the whites would be enraged, withdraw its political support for the party in power, and the Machine would collapse.
2. What event took place in Chicago during April that foretold conflict at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
(a) Eugene McCarthy's primary victories invigorated the antiwar movement.
(b) A large peace march was held in Chicago in the Loop area.
(c) Martin Luther King was assassinated.
(d) Senator Bobby Kennedy was assassinated.
3. How many protesters arrived in Chicago for the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
4. Who among the front runners for the 1972 Democrat presidential nomination called Richard Daley on his victory for his fifth term?
(a) According to The Chicago Tribune, "Edmund Muskie."
(b) According to Daley, "All of them."
(c) According to The Minneapolis Star, "Hubert Humphrey."
(d) According to the Washington Post, "Richard Nixon."
5. How widely regarded was Richard Daley's victory for his fifth term regarded?
(a) Throughout the state of Illinois.
(b) Very few people noticed.
(c) All the way to Washington, D.C.
(d) Within the Cook County Democrat Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What race-related issue did Richard Daley face during his early second term?
2. What did the election results for Richard Daley's fifth term mean for influence over the future of Chicago politics?
3. What finally forced Richard Daley to hear the demands of Martin Luther King?
4. How did Richard Daley diffuse the 1970 scandal involving the public officials?
5. How did Richard Daley's selection for the 1970 Cook County Sheriff's race show in the election?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)