|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 1960 police department scandal caused great embarrassment for Richard Daley?
(a) Several officials were indicted for real estate contract violations.
(b) The 1960 presidential election was found to be fraudulent.
(c) A burglar reported that he was part of a burglary gang and the other members were policemen.
(d) The murders of the activists were traced back to ward committeemen.
2. What tactic did segregation opponents use to point out the problem of segregation in Chicago?
(a) African-American parents began enrolling their children in white schools near their homes.
(b) African-American activists ignorned "Whites Only" signs on businesses and demanded service from the proprietors.
(c) They rented a flat in Richard Daley's neighborhood and put up two African-American college students in the residence.
(d) They organized a sit-in of African-American activists at segregated public venues.
3. How was a police action in April of 1968 characterized by observers?
(a) It is called a police riot.
(b) The unattached Kennedy delegates inspire political activists of all types to go to Chicago to demonstrate.
(c) The demands of African-American delegates are considered seriously by the Democrat Convention Platform Committee.
(d) The threats of McCarthy supporters is discounted as an easily handled threat.
4. What happened to honest officials in the department that became troublesome for Richard Daley?
(a) Ward committeemen who refused to cheat lost their positions and discredited within the Cook County Democrat Party.
(b) Honest policemen are placed in desk jobs, passed over for promotions, and are isolated from important activities.
(c) Code enforcement personnel with the responsibility to provide housing access were beaten up and taken to the outskirts of Chicago.
(d) Code enforcement and real estate agents who tried to blow the whistle had false information on their finances published and were chased out of their departments or businesses.
5. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
(a) He campaigned door-to-door in precincts where he was polling behind his opponent.
(b) On election day he had public works projects on streets for polling sites in precincts where he feared losing.
(c) The Chicago Democrat Machine spread scandalous stories about the opponent that was either false or irrelevant, but Daley kept himself detatched from the stories.
(d) He would have public debates against the opponent and stack the audience in his favor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Richard Daley's popularity in Chicago after the turmoil of the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
2. Who did Richard Daley run as Democrat candidate for Cook County Sheriff in 1971?
3. What race-related issue did Richard Daley face during his early second term?
4. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
5. What did Martin Luther King do when Mayor Daley's actions did not satisfactorily address the problems of segregation?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)