|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the election results for Richard Daley's fifth term mean for influence over the future of Chicago politics?
(a) Growing apathy began to overshadow all the events of his early career.
(b) The results meant he could name his successor.
(c) The results meant that the coming political challenges would leave his influence subject to his successor.
(d) Suspicion among Chicago politicians fueled Daley's paranoia and he began making strange decisions.
2. How did Richard Daley's selection for the 1970 Cook County Sheriff's race show in the election?
(a) Wilson decided to withdraw before the election was held.
(b) Adamowski disappeared mysteriously before the election.
(c) Marzullo ran a poor race and was narrowly defeated.
(d) Elrod won easily.
3. What was the year of the election for Richard Daley's fourth term?
4. How was a police action in April of 1968 characterized by observers?
(a) The demands of African-American delegates are considered seriously by the Democrat Convention Platform Committee.
(b) The threats of McCarthy supporters is discounted as an easily handled threat.
(c) It is called a police riot.
(d) The unattached Kennedy delegates inspire political activists of all types to go to Chicago to demonstrate.
5. What was Richard Daley's response after a commission recommended that the police should treat blacks the same as whites?
(a) He ignored the recommendations and increased the use of force.
(b) He assigned another commission under his control that recommended he keep his policies in place.
(c) He increased abuse against everybody.
(d) He relented and began promoting a, "kinder and gentler," police force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
2. What event took place in Chicago during April that foretold conflict at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
3. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
4. By what kind of margin did Richard Daley win the election to his fifth term?
5. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)