|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event took place in Chicago during April that foretold conflict at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
(a) A large peace march was held in Chicago in the Loop area.
(b) Martin Luther King was assassinated.
(c) Senator Bobby Kennedy was assassinated.
(d) Eugene McCarthy's primary victories invigorated the antiwar movement.
2. What 1960 police department scandal caused great embarrassment for Richard Daley?
(a) The murders of the activists were traced back to ward committeemen.
(b) A burglar reported that he was part of a burglary gang and the other members were policemen.
(c) The 1960 presidential election was found to be fraudulent.
(d) Several officials were indicted for real estate contract violations.
3. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
(a) West Halsted Street near the Chicago International Amphitheatre where the 1968 Democrat National Convention was eventually held.
(b) On the south side between Daley's Irish Catholic birthplace and an African-American neighborhood.
(c) An old Italian neighborhood known as the Valley.
(d) Along Waveland Avenue near Wrigley Field.
4. What finally forced Richard Daley to hear the demands of Martin Luther King?
(a) Daley realized that he had to act to assuage the anger in segregated neighborhoods after Dr. King's assassination.
(b) Daley was impressed with Dr. King's vision from the speech.
(c) White voters became angry with the turmoil in their neighborhoods.
(d) The arrest of Dr. King on the false charges threatened to bring down the Democrat Machine if Daley did not act.
5. Who did Richard Daley run as Democrat candidate for Cook County Sheriff in 1971?
(a) Vito Marzullo.
(b) Former Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(c) Ben Adamowski.
(d) Richard Elrod.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point during the 1968 Democratic National Convention did protesters and security forces clash?
2. Why did Richard Daley claim he made the moves that he did with the 1970 scandal involving public officials?
3. How widely regarded was Richard Daley's victory for his fifth term regarded?
4. How did Richard Daley respond to growing tensions in the weeks leading up to the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
5. How did Richard Daley treat department heads who did not perform well?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)