|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Richard Daley's selection for the 1970 Cook County Sheriff's race show in the election?
(a) Wilson decided to withdraw before the election was held.
(b) Marzullo ran a poor race and was narrowly defeated.
(c) Adamowski disappeared mysteriously before the election.
(d) Elrod won easily.
2. What did the election results for Richard Daley's fifth term mean for his influence over Chicago politics?
(a) The close margin convinced the City Council that it was time to challenge Daley's agenda.
(b) The lack of opposition to Daley bred apathy within the Chicago political system.
(c) He maintained control of the City Council.
(d) Daley was seen as a dangerous man and high placed office holders began to plot against him.
3. How did Richard Daley diffuse the 1970 scandal involving the public officials?
(a) Daley transfered a few police commanders and vowed to reform the department.
(b) He hired a political adviser who guided him in responding to claims he was losing his mental edge.
(c) Daley claimed to repay the public funds from his bank account.
(d) Daley claimed to repay the Cook County Democratic campaign funds.
4. What police action against a public gathering became a precursor to the Democratic National Convention?
(a) Dr. King's assassination caused discontent within African-American delegations to the Convention.
(b) McCarthy's antiwar supporters pledged to disrupt the convention if McCarthy was not nominated.
(c) Peace marchers ignored police orders to disperse and were beaten, maced, and arrested.
(d) Supporters of Senator Kennedy refused to pledge their support to any other candidate.
5. What event led to the biggest scandal of Richard Daley's second term as mayor?
(a) A former ward committeeman went public with how precincts would routinely, "Vote the graveyard."
(b) The Attorney General of Illinois investigated and took steps to take control of the Real Estate Division of the City of Chicago.
(c) A burglar was arrested.
(d) Three civil rights activists were found beaten to death and buried at a construction site outside of Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on Richard Daley's 68th birthday?
2. Besides protesters, who else did security forces target for harassment during the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
3. At what point during the 1968 Democratic National Convention did protesters and security forces clash?
4. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
5. Who was Richard Daley's opponent during his fourth run for Mayor?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)