|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Martin Luther King do when Mayor Daley's actions did not satisfactorily address the problems of segregation?
(a) Dr. King began staging protest marches in white neighborhoods.
(b) Dr. King was arrested by Chicago police on a voter fraud charge.
(c) Dr. King left for Memphis, Tennessee where he was assassinated.
(d) Dr. King went to Washington, D.C. and delivered his "I have a dream" speech.
2. How large and what was the make up of the security detail for the 1968 Democratic National convention?
(a) 20,000 Marines and Illinois State Patrolmen.
(b) 2,500 precinct walkers and sanitation workers.
(c) 15,000 private security personnel and prison guards.
(d) 25,000 police officers and National Guard soldiers.
3. What tactic did segregation opponents use to point out the problem of segregation in Chicago?
(a) They organized a sit-in of African-American activists at segregated public venues.
(b) African-American parents began enrolling their children in white schools near their homes.
(c) African-American activists ignorned "Whites Only" signs on businesses and demanded service from the proprietors.
(d) They rented a flat in Richard Daley's neighborhood and put up two African-American college students in the residence.
4. What 1960 police department scandal caused great embarrassment for Richard Daley?
(a) The 1960 presidential election was found to be fraudulent.
(b) A burglar reported that he was part of a burglary gang and the other members were policemen.
(c) The murders of the activists were traced back to ward committeemen.
(d) Several officials were indicted for real estate contract violations.
5. What did Richard Daley actually do with the 1970 scandal involving public officials?
(a) He did not follow up on his promises to reform the Police Department after the deaths of the Black Panthers.
(b) The political advisor was actually a close friend from the Democratic Central Committee and they just spent an increasing amount of time together.
(c) He took money from City Hall to pay back the Cook County Democratic Party for the Bahamas trip expenses.
(d) He took money out of the Cook County Democratic Party campaign fund to pay back City Hall for the party expenses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the issues that Richard Daley's opponent raised during the election before his fourth term?
2. What happened to segregation opponents who showed up at Richard Daley's house?
3. How did Richard Daley respond to growing tensions in the weeks leading up to the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
4. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
5. What became the most consuming controversy during Richard Daley's first two terms as mayor?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)