|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the public respond to Richard Daley's response to the outbreaks?
(a) He was harshly criticized for being too closely involved in police department policy.
(b) He was criticized to the point that he changed his orders to "minimum force."
(c) He was applauded for recognizing the influence of civil rights advocates on his administration.
(d) He was distrusted for the remainder of his time as mayor.
2. When did racial conflicts begin to become public in Chicago?
(a) After Jackie Robinson broke Major League Baseball's color barrier in 1947.
(b) During the late 1950s.
(c) During the Vietnam War.
(d) During the early 1960s.
3. What motivated racial violence to intensify?
(a) A firetruck with all white fireman ran over a black woman and killed her.
(b) The hotel for the Los Angeles Dodgers denied rooms to the African-American members of the team.
(c) Martin Luther King was assassinated.
(d) The bodies of three civil rights volunteers were found at a construction site on the outskirts of Chicago.
4. To what did Richard Daley credit his large majorities in African-American precincts?
(a) His decision to move into an African-American neighborhood to initiate desegregation efforts.
(b) The involvement of Martin Luther King in civil rights controversies.
(c) His door-to-door campaigning.
(d) Street repair projects.
5. What event took place in Chicago during April that foretold conflict at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
(a) A large peace march was held in Chicago in the Loop area.
(b) Martin Luther King was assassinated.
(c) Eugene McCarthy's primary victories invigorated the antiwar movement.
(d) Senator Bobby Kennedy was assassinated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event led to the biggest scandal of Richard Daley's second term as mayor?
2. At what point during the 1968 Democratic National Convention did protesters and security forces clash?
3. What tactic did segregation opponents use to point out the problem of segregation in Chicago?
4. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
5. By what kind of margin did Richard Daley win the election to his fifth term?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)