|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Richard Daley's selection for the 1970 Cook County Sheriff's race show in the election?
(a) Wilson decided to withdraw before the election was held.
(b) Elrod won easily.
(c) Adamowski disappeared mysteriously before the election.
(d) Marzullo ran a poor race and was narrowly defeated.
2. What was Richard Daley's response after a commission recommended that the police should treat blacks the same as whites?
(a) He increased abuse against everybody.
(b) He ignored the recommendations and increased the use of force.
(c) He assigned another commission under his control that recommended he keep his policies in place.
(d) He relented and began promoting a, "kinder and gentler," police force.
3. What did the election results for Richard Daley's fifth term mean for his influence over Chicago politics?
(a) He maintained control of the City Council.
(b) The lack of opposition to Daley bred apathy within the Chicago political system.
(c) The close margin convinced the City Council that it was time to challenge Daley's agenda.
(d) Daley was seen as a dangerous man and high placed office holders began to plot against him.
4. How did the attention news agencies gave to the April event set up what eventually occurred at the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
(a) The lack of public attention to police abuse of peace marchers allowed Richard Daley to believe that the public was not concerned with their treatment.
(b) McCarthy supporters were discounted as irrelevant and Eugene McCarthy quickly faded from the national stage of political influence.
(c) Both political parties recognized that they would have to become more sensitive to demands from civil rights activists.
(d) Middle class and middle aged voters began supporting abuse against antiwar protesters.
5. To what did Richard Daley credit his large majorities in African-American precincts?
(a) The involvement of Martin Luther King in civil rights controversies.
(b) His door-to-door campaigning.
(c) His decision to move into an African-American neighborhood to initiate desegregation efforts.
(d) Street repair projects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the response of contenders for the 1972 Democrat Presidential Nomination signify to Richard Daley?
2. By what kind of margin did Richard Daley win the election to his fifth term?
3. Who did Richard Daley appoint to take care of the 1960 police department scandal?
4. After the inauguration of John F. Kennedy, how many people were considered to be more powerful than Richard Daley?
5. How did Richard Daley treat department heads who did not perform well?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)