|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the results of the election leading to Richard Daley's fourth term?
(a) His opponent died in a mysterious auto accident two days before the election.
(b) Daley won a narrow victory.
(c) Daley was forced to dispatch more street repair projects than he ever had.
(d) Daley won with 73 percent of the vote.
2. How did certain politicians consider Richard Daley's influence in 1971?
(a) National politicians still considered him someone who could produce votes.
(b) Politicians in Illinois saw his influence on the wane.
(c) Since he faced no competition he was not considered a serious political influence.
(d) The bizarre events preceeding the 1971 elections added to his history of harsh treatment of his opponenets.
3. How did Richard Daley respond to the outbreaks?
(a) He issued shoot to kill orders against arsonists and shoot to maim orders against looters.
(b) He ordered a restoration of Chief Wilson's policies in the African American neighborhoods.
(c) He had a city hall meeting with civil rights advocates to get their input for a new police chief.
(d) He restored water services to the fire hydrants in the neighborhood.
4. After controversy around the 1968 Democrat National Convention subsided, what was the condition of Richard Daley?
(a) He had his health, successful children, an outstanding career in Chicago politics, fame, and control of the Machine.
(b) He became increasingly paranoid and withdrew to life as a recluse.
(c) His record of strong arming opponents had earned him the contempt of political opponents.
(d) He had become tired and proned to make bad judgements.
5. Who were among the leaders for the 1972 Democrat nomination for president in 1971?
(a) George McGovern, Ted Kennedy, Edmund Muskie.
(b) Lydon Johnson, Adalai Stevenson III, Jimmy Carter.
(c) Bobby Kennedy, Eugene McCarthy, Sargent Shriver.
(d) Bill Clinton, John Foster Dulles, Richard Nixon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event led to the biggest scandal of Richard Daley's second term as mayor?
2. What happened on Richard Daley's 68th birthday?
3. After the inauguration of John F. Kennedy, how many people were considered to be more powerful than Richard Daley?
4. What tactic did segregation opponents use to point out the problem of segregation in Chicago?
5. Besides protesters, who else did security forces target for harassment during the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)