|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
(a) West Halsted Street near the Chicago International Amphitheatre where the 1968 Democrat National Convention was eventually held.
(b) Along Waveland Avenue near Wrigley Field.
(c) On the south side between Daley's Irish Catholic birthplace and an African-American neighborhood.
(d) An old Italian neighborhood known as the Valley.
2. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
(a) Civil Rights lawyer William Kunstler.
(b) President Kennedy.
(c) Civil Rights activist Martin Luther King.
(d) Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
3. Who did Richard Daley run as Democrat candidate for Cook County Sheriff in 1971?
(a) Richard Elrod.
(b) Former Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(c) Ben Adamowski.
(d) Vito Marzullo.
4. To what did Richard Daley credit his large majorities in African-American precincts?
(a) His door-to-door campaigning.
(b) The involvement of Martin Luther King in civil rights controversies.
(c) His decision to move into an African-American neighborhood to initiate desegregation efforts.
(d) Street repair projects.
5. What police action against a public gathering became a precursor to the Democratic National Convention?
(a) Peace marchers ignored police orders to disperse and were beaten, maced, and arrested.
(b) Supporters of Senator Kennedy refused to pledge their support to any other candidate.
(c) McCarthy's antiwar supporters pledged to disrupt the convention if McCarthy was not nominated.
(d) Dr. King's assassination caused discontent within African-American delegations to the Convention.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the year of the election for Richard Daley's fourth term?
2. What were the issues that Richard Daley's opponent raised during the election before his fourth term?
3. What tactic did segregation opponents use to point out the problem of segregation in Chicago?
4. At what point during the 1968 Democratic National Convention did protesters and security forces clash?
5. How was a police action in April of 1968 characterized by observers?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)